(Topic ID: 85815)

What happened to Heighway? NOTHING! :) Full steam ahead!!

By CraZ4Pin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by horseypin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Are these guys still moving forward with "Full Throttle"? They aren't at TPF are they? It seems like all news from these guys stopped 5 or 6 months ago, no?

#2 5 years ago

Hmmm good question. Been pretty quiet.

#3 5 years ago

At Expo they said their game was done, missed bringing the final version to Expo by a week, then they were supposed to show it in January at the show in London. They no-showed and then no news since? I am very interested in their game but this is concerning for certain.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

At Expo they said their game was done, missed bringing the final version to Expo by a week, then they were supposed to show it in January at the show in London. They no-showed and then no news since? I am very interested in their game but this is concerning for certain.

Agreed, just seems odd. I thought mabye someone on here knew something? Hopefully they're just working out some final small issues.

#5 5 years ago

I always thought this game looked cheezy. The graphics really lack and bring the entire game down.

#6 5 years ago

From what I understand the art was reworked, including the bikes and girl on the playfield. But we never saw the final version.

#7 5 years ago

Andy posted a pic of taking delivery of a foam packaging machine this week, along with a pick in Feb of the production line on his Heighway Pinball Facebook page.
    It looks like things are moving forward, no matter how slowly. Although it is slightly disconcerting the lack of updates on progress.

He looks at the UKPinball forum regularly (ukpinball@yahoogroups.com), so maybe a direct question to him there may get further info.

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, that he's not setting any further deadlines until the machines are made and ready to ship.

We'll just have to wait 'a bit' longer.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

From what I understand the art was reworked, including the bikes and girl on the playfield. But we never saw the final version.

Well that's good to know.

#9 5 years ago

Ok, well I see his Facebook page has been updated with their arrival of a foam packer and assembly line. Maybe he is so supremely confident he can work in secret until the big reveal? I can hope.

#10 5 years ago

Last post on Heighway forum is dated Nov 14, 2013.
    Last update was the announcement they would participate to Festiflip in Oct '13 (I was there! Full Throttle prototype was cool!)

Time for an update besides Facebook!

#11 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

We have been very busy the last few months - but decided not to make any big announcements until we are ready.

The reason for this is that we don't like raising expectations only to let people down.

We have hired a lot of staff, built up our production line and have been buying equipment and getting ready for production.

We will shortly be starting a weekly magazine/news bulletin on our YouTube channel. I will announce this here when it is ready to go. We also want to be connecting with people and answering any questions people may have - both here on Pinside and on our weekly YouTube programming.

As a pinball manufacturing company that will be releasing 3 games a year, a lot of work has also been going on behind the scenes with regards to our future games too.

The bottom line is that we are now very close to where we want to be - manufacturing pinball machines, and we will be making big announcements very soon - initially in Pinball News - where everyone can see our progress.

Thanks,

Andrew

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

As a pinball manufacturing company that will be releasing 3 games a year

Damn man, I gotta respect how aggressive that is. I hope you succeed.

#13 5 years ago

That's fantastic news Andrew, thanks for chiming in and congrats! I was just concerned that some "show stopper" had come up but glad to hear things are moving forward! Looking forward to seeing the final game and any upcoming news.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for stopping in on Pinside and letting us know it is full steam ahead.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Damn man, I gotta respect how aggressive that is. I hope you succeed.

I think it's pretty shrewd when you think about it. Just like Stern, if a machine misfires (Avengers), no worries, on to the next one. Not putting all the eggs in one basket.

#16 5 years ago

Get one machine out first, never mind three a year. Walk before you run..

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marv:

Get one machine out first, never mind three a year. Walk before you run..

You are of course right - but our business model (an interchangeable games system) requires a minimum number of titles per year to allow operators to change games when takings start to drop on a given location

#18 5 years ago

Great news!

#19 5 years ago

awesome!

#20 5 years ago

Yay for more pinball!

Looking forward to the reveal whenever that is. At least no one's money is tied up (other than yours, Andrew ). So not much for anyone to complain about here. We're just excited to see the final product.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

You are of course right - but our business model (an interchangeable games system) requires a minimum number of titles per year to allow operators to change games when takings start to drop on a given location

First off, I wish you the best in your endeavor. We need more manufacturers!

And, I write this since you chose to use the word "operators" and not owners.

As to conversions, there has always been a big problem with the concept. In order to get Operators to purchase a new product, or at least a dedicated cabinet for future conversion, you have to have a "hit" i.e. Great or proven earner. Operators will not invest in a new product just because of the idea that they can do easy, or possibly less costly conversions down the line. It must justify itself right off the bat.

If you do have a "hit", operators are reluctant to ever convert it because it is still earning well and a conversion is not justified. So, if the second title ends up being a hit, more cabinets are purchase since the first run cabinets are still in use. So the conversions, never actually are conversions.

The only conversion products that have ever done well are ones that targeted OLD tired machines that could be refreshed with a new Playfield, programming, and perhaps, side art.

This is one reason why so many SWE1 kits still remained in the crate and in distributors back rooms. No operator wanted to lose their RFM to SWE1. Those that could afford it, merely purchased a whole new P2K.

However, when it comes to the HOME collector market, the conversion concept may actually work as they will only need to purchase the initial host cabinet, and then "collect" the follow up titles which can be easily stored and swapped out when they tire of the current game.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

However, when it comes to the HOME collector market, the conversion concept may actually work as they will only need to purchase the initial host cabinet, and then "collect" the follow up titles which can be easily stored and swapped out when they tire of the current game.

I know he's targeting ops, but I believe there will be a lot of us who like the idea of getting a new pin title every few months for part of the price and then swapping playfields whenever it strikes our fancy.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

First off, I wish you the best in your endeavor. We need more manufacturers!
    And, I write this since you chose to use the word "operators" and not owners.
    As to conversions, there has always been a big problem with the concept. In order to get Operators to purchase a new product, or at least a dedicated cabinet for future conversion, you have to have a "hit" i.e. Great or proven earner. Operators will not invest in a new product just because of the idea that they can do easy, or possibly less costly conversions down the line. It must justify itself right off the bat.
    If you do have a "hit", operators are reluctant to ever convert it because it is still earning well and a conversion is not justified. So, if the second title ends up being a hit, more cabinets are purchase since the first run cabinets are still in use. So the conversions, never actually are conversions.
    The only conversion products that have ever done well are ones that targeted OLD tired machines that could be refreshed with a new Playfield, programming, and perhaps, side art.
    This is one reason why so many SWE1 kits still remained in the crate and in distributors back rooms. No operator wanted to lose their RFM to SWE1. Those that could afford it, merely purchased a whole new P2K.

You may well be right and it is calculated risk.

WMS was the only company to try it in the modern era and they pulled the plug before the concept really had a chance to prove itself, so nobody really knows if operators will buy into the concept. But we have gone all out to try and give them what we think, and many of them tell us, they need and want. After all, pinball as coin-op is dead in many places, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We have spent 2 years developing hardware and software that should allow operators to make money and keep their games in service.

But this doesn't mean we are forgetting collectors, as we have also been developing innovative ways that should benefit collectors too.

It has been a long road to get to where we are now - but we hope that our products, and the games we are developing, will excite people and have been worth the wait

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You are absolutely right. In addition to this we have re-worked other aspects of the playfield art and colourings, as well as the plastics.

A lot of work has gone into the alternative art package. The new translite is finished and the new side art is nearing completion.

We hope you will like the finished results

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

It would be an interesting poll to see how many home collectors would like this concept. It might be fairly split? It seems there are those who just want to play as many games as possible (and could care less about the condition of the game itself) and might love this concept. Then there are those who truly enjoy collecting and want 1-of-a-kind pieces of artwork (an edition of a particular title) and condition matters. I fall into the latter group. I hate the idea of switching out games (which is one reason I'm turned off by P3). I want 1 game ... a single piece of artwork to collect. I'm crazy like that I guess but that's what I find sexy about pinball. Each game is unique to the period .. a reflection of pop culture ... and every game is limited in production (some more than others.) It's also one more reason I'm turned off by Virtua Pin (it's like a photograph of the Mona Lisa.)

#26 5 years ago

3 pins a year seems very ambitious. You almost need a footballteam of coders to finish them.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

3 pins a year seems very ambitious. You almost need a footballteam of coders to finish them.

Agreed. Look at all the time and software revisions required after a pin ships to turn an OK but incomplete game into an awesome pin. You can see this at both Stern and JJP.

#28 5 years ago

The idea of swapping pfs is genius for a lot of collectors. Myself included.
    Most of us don’t have room for more than a few pins. Specially here in Europe where a house with a basement in the city is only for the rich or very fortunate

I have only one pin at my house. Tron, since is the most impressive one as for looks and sound. Then I have a rented garage 5 mins from my house with the rest of the collection. Even on that garage I can only have about 7 or 8 squeezed in.
    So the idea of having the pin at my house changing games with ease is like a dream to me!
    I have room to store pfs in the cellar so it’s easy.

If these games are on the level as Stern’s and JJP’s I will get one for me for sure.
    Of course I’m gonna wait to see what they do before I buy it. Probably wait to see the second game.
    As for the first game, the layout of the game seems very interesting and original. The rules I know nothing yet. The art totally sucks (no offence lol), but Andrew says they are working on that so I bet it will be amazing.

In the end I’m more exited about this project than Hobbit or whatever the next Stern is.

#29 5 years ago

I do have room for a fair amount of games, or shall I say did. The limiting factor for this hobby is money, no surprise there, but room is just as big. If this is done right, when you get down to I can only fit one more game, which one should I choose. Why not go with a game you can change up, depending on what mood your in to play. Diversity in good playfields will be a challenge, but everyone in hoping you can hit it out of the park.

2 weeks later
    #30 5 years ago

With 26 pubs a week closing in the U.K ( up-to-date figure released by CAMRA last week ) it's clear to see that many more are on the brink and not attracting customers/ taking much money. I see Stern pinball machines in pubs and have yet to see anyone playing one. Worse than that nobody watches while I or my friends lad plays.

I think the only hope is a massive attract mode like the JJP machines. At a lower price.

#31 5 years ago

Good to hear it's still developing! I'm sure the OP, other posters here and I weren't the only ones wondering what had happened. Having little space for many pinballs myself, I think having a playfield swap could be nice for a collector.
    Hope you'll deliver (a) nice game(s)!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

With 26 pubs a week closing in the U.K

Interesting figure... to be compared with 1000 bars closing per year in France... not that different !

#33 5 years ago

hmmm

An announcement and then games will actually ship. Must be something wrong with this model. We are becoming used to handing over our $$$ and waiting forever.

I applaud Heighway and will be buying "Full Throttle" when released.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Interesting figure... to be compared with 1000 bars closing per year in France... not that different !

On the tv show "Bar Rescue" they say 6,500 bars close in America every year.

I don't think it is the bar business, it is just that they are mismanaged and fail. Someone else will come along and try. It's not like eventually there will be no bars.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I applaud Heighway and will be buying "Full Throttle" when released.

I've got a ton of space to fill in my new basement and would love if Full Throttle outclassed Mustang. Would love to add it.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I don't think it is the bar business, it is just that they are mismanaged and fail. Someone else will come along and try. It's not like eventually there will be no bars.

I tend to agree. I think 'own a bar' is on the bucket list of a number of people who couldn't run a school bake sale, much less a legitimate business in an EXTREMELY competitive market. It's not a 24/7 party, it's a business, and I think it's a rude awakening for people who think otherwise.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

On all these bar-closings stats... is that a net figure? Does that take into account each new bar/pub that is opening? If 6500 close while another 6500 open, what's the problem?

That said, I have read in multiple venues about the contraction of the pub industry in the UK, so there is definitely some substance in those stories.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If 6500 close while another 6500 open, what's the problem?

I think that is the gist of it. Same would go for a statistic that says 90% of all small businesses fail within 5 years. It's not like small business will cease to exist. Someone else comes along to try.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I tend to agree. I think 'own a bar' is on the bucket list of a number of people who couldn't run a school bake sale, much less a legitimate business in an EXTREMELY competitive market. It's not a 24/7 party, it's a business, and I think it's a rude awakening for people who think otherwise.

That or own a restaurant and have this fantasy of being the great host, checking on tables, hands on shoulders. It's amazing to me that people throw away literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on these types of fantasies.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think that is the gist of it. Same would go for a statistic that says 90% of all small businesses fail within 5 years. It's not like small business will cease to exist. Someone else comes along to try.

That's what is happening with the many pubs that are still "open ". The new owners may have somewhere to live but the pub is not a going concern. And these new people are bailing out faster and faster.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Not in Britain. Pubs are closing because of many reasons, including ale being sold in stores and tax implications. In a lot of cases a walk to the pub, to down a couple of pints, is turning into a long drive to the pub. It's not mismanagement in Great Britain. A quick read on google will fill in the blanks.

#42 5 years ago

Ha, first article I looked up basically said a lot of pubs are closing because they suck, the service sucks, the food sucks, they are stuck in the 80s or worse and they deserve to go out of business. I did read about the cheap beer at stores, but obviously people can eat at home too but that does not stop them from eating at restaurants because it is nice to eat out.

Hopefully Heighway can tap into a need for pubs to be more dynamic and create attractions for their customers.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

You almost need a footballteam of coders to finish them.

Not if you've got a solid platform and framework to build on. You ideally want all your machines to be the same under the hood with the only differences being game-specific items. (IE: modes, event handling, etc.)

2 weeks later
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hitch9:

Not in Britain. Pubs are closing because of many reasons, including ale being sold in stores and tax implications. In a lot of cases a walk to the pub, to down a couple of pints, is turning into a long drive to the pub. It's not mismanagement in Great Britain. A quick read on google will fill in the blanks.

This mate. I fail to see any other place taking machines other than a bowling alley. That is the only place you generally see any machine in public over here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 26.50
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside