Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by metallik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Just wondering....If this thread was deleted because there was some discussion about the condition or because there was confusion over Jim's work (which for the record is above reproach and was NOT his work on this MB), then I feel Pinside is getting too heavy handed in their moderation. Close the thread, fine, but delete it? Shouldn't be able to delete a 2 page thread, EVEN at the OP's request.

I've stayed out of the recent discussions concerning deleting threads, but it seems to be happening far more often nowadays. Too much censorship, IMHO.

#2 11 years ago

Hmmm, all I know is I didn't delete it.

#3 11 years ago

I've stayed out of the recent discussions concerning deleting threads, but it seems to be happening far more often nowadays. Too much censorship, IMHO.

I agree

#4 11 years ago

Yep, it's gone. That's kind of ridiculous.

#5 11 years ago

I am pretty sure Doc got upset and asked for it to be deleted or closed.

#6 11 years ago

That is crazy IMHO!

OP request or not, threads that stay on topic and are not against TOS or offensive should be left alone. Close it, sure. Delete it, NO!

#7 11 years ago

Moederator deleted it, with my permission, as being too crazy. Harsh words were too much.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

Moederator deleted it, with my permission, as being too crazy. Harsh words were too much.

No offense, but permission or otherwise, should not have been deleted. There have been threads far more offensive, that were simply closed, not deleted. I didn't see anything in that thread that warranted deletion.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

I did not realize it had gotten that out of hand >> sucks when FS threads turn sour.

I still think it is sometimes important to just close rather than delete as it helps show character of some people and IMHO really helps when researching a memeber's previous posts in the futre for a potential purchase.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I did not realize it had gotten that out of hand >> sucks when FS threads turn sour.
I still think it is sometimes important to just close rather than delete as it helps show character of some people and IMHO really helps when researching a memeber's previous posts in the futre for a potential purchase.

+1000

#11 11 years ago

Doc, I understand that it wasn't an optimum outcome to a FS thread....However, given that, here's my take:

You (and others, not singling out you) placed an ad in a Marketplace Forum. By the very definition of 'Forum' its use is for discussion. Good or bad. Your MB was getting called out some for not being a High End restoration and there was a sub-discussion going on as to the term HE and how it got confused with Jim McCune's work. But it wasn't ugly or offensive or against the TOS so it should not have been deleted, or even closed at that point.

If you don't want a marketplace ad to have open discussion, then place an ad in the Marketplace (non-forum) where no discussion takes place. But if you place it in the FORUM, then expect discussion good and bad. Maybe Robin will chime in and give his take. If the Marketplace FORUM needs additional rules and regulations, then so be it, but it needs to be removed from the general forum collection area, IMHO.

Again, doc, not singling you out and you didn't do anything wrong. Just voicing some frustration over the recent turn of pinside's moderation and censorship.

#12 11 years ago

Although I totally agree that deleting threads is not an ideal situation, in this case,there might have been some justification. Early in the thread,the OP's MB was being nitpicked for the condition,price,and even the descriptor "HE". In addition to that fiasco, two other pinsiders were clearly at each other's throats,one of which is a well thought member of this community. I'm totally convinced the OP asked that it be closed and it seemed sensible considering how it spirraled downward and could not be recovered even by deleting a few posts. The mod had no other option on this one,IMHO

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from sylvan_glade:

Although I totally agree that deleting threads is not an ideal situation, in this case,there might have been some justification. Early in the thread,the OP's MB was being nitpicked for the condition,price,and even the descriptor "HE".

Disagree for the reasons stated above....It was placed in a 'FORUM', which means open for discussion, good or bad. If the rules are that no FS thread can discuss price, condition, etc. then it shouldn't be placed in a forum and just as a marketplace ad.

As a general principle, I don't participate in bashing someone's for sale thread or nitpicking condition. It's up to the buyer to do that. All I pointed out in Doc's thread was that his picture of the Mosh pit was contrary to the condition he stated, and therefore he should post a better picture to clear up the confusion for all potential buyers. That was after several other posters called out the condition and representation.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Disagree for the reasons stated above....It was placed in a 'FORUM', which means open for discussion, good or bad. If the rules are that no FS thread can discuss price, condition, etc. then it shouldn't be placed in a forum and just as a marketplace ad.

I agree with you for the most part but when a fs "SUB" forum has and endless debate of semantics and then two other members attacking,it's time to start fresh. My sense is that Robin and the mods prefer things to be light hearted and helpful,hence KARMA points.

Having said that,I find the critiques of a fs thread both acceptable and informative but this one just turned nasty with no way of coming back.

#15 11 years ago

There are reasonable causes to delete a thread, but how often do they really occur?

I think there are two other reasons a thread may get deleted.

First, from the poster side, something has come out in the thread that the originator is uncomfortable with and may show them in a bad light. Not directing that at Doc, only he knows.

Second, for the self interests of Pinside. A thread gets out of hand that should have been caught at the very beginning or takes a turn that is missed. Its content is obliterated to maintain what the desire of the site is to have a fun even tempered environment having a history that supports this desire. This is an imaginable possibility not an accusation.

Close the thread and/or delete the posts in it violating pinside standards. the latter will open another can of worms but it is better that deleting threads.

Dan

#16 11 years ago

I agree Dan,it's a slippery slope. First you delete a few posts,then you close a thread,and finally and with less and less consideration,the deletion of an entire thread.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from sylvan_glade:

two other pinsiders were clearly at each other's throats,one of which is a well thought member of this community. I'm totally convinced the OP asked that it be closed and it seemed sensible considering how it spirraled downward and could not be recovered even by deleting a few posts. The mod had no other option on this one,IMHO

Bingo !! Thanks for understanding .

Jim

#18 11 years ago

If the OP asked to have a FS thread deleted I think that request should be honored. Because its a FS thread!

#19 11 years ago

The thread was a total train-wreck, but it was not offensive. I think it diminishes Pinside to delete such threads and would prefer that it had been merely closed FWIW.

Shawn

1 week later
#20 11 years ago

Just fyi guys, here's the thread with all the pics of what was done on the MB I had up for sale earlier, showing the restorer's work from start to finish. Though the pf wasn't replaced, I think anyone can see this was above and beyond in terms of a restoration. http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=213097. Frankly, other than the pf not being replaced, I have difficulty believing anyone couldn't see the conscientious care put into the machine restoration, in addition to mirror blades, new plastics, polished metal in the cab, clear flipper buttons, new metal wire work, new plastics, new chrome everywhere, electrical buzzer mod, etc. I personally can't think of anything in the restoration that wasn't done, other than the pf replacement. The pics in the thread tell the story.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Just wondering....If this thread was deleted because there was some discussion about the condition or because there was confusion over Jim's work (which for the record is above reproach and was NOT his work on this MB), then I feel Pinside is getting too heavy handed in their moderation. Close the thread, fine, but delete it? Shouldn't be able to delete a 2 page thread, EVEN at the OP's request.

Quoted from Whysnow:

That is crazy IMHO!
OP request or not, threads that stay on topic and are not against TOS or offensive should be left alone. Close it, sure. Delete it, NO!

Agreed and find that it being deleted is in poor taste. Simply closing the thread would have been adequate.

#22 11 years ago

This totally eluded me. I have no idea why that thread got deleted. Maybe it was deleted by accident when the moderator simply wanted to close it? I don't know and the system does not keep track of who deleted a topic.

I agree that deleting threads should be a last resort (for instance, when too much individual posts breaking the rules would need deleting) and the stuff said in the mb-fs thread does not warrant deletion.

Now before the word "censorship" gets thrown out again, here is the thread for your reading pleasure. I don't think it needs re-openening, does it?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-fs/

#23 11 years ago

Robin,

Big thumbs up for reviving the thread....You've renewed my faith in Pinside (well, never really lost it, but you get my drift)

I doubt it needs reopening, but it does contain some good discussion on the term 'High End' and where and when it applies (or doesn't).

#24 11 years ago

I didn't even see that one not sure why it was deleted either. I can say the pinball crowd is pretty tough to please especially when it comes to moderation but we do the best we can. Mistakes will happen from time to time.

#25 11 years ago

I didn't even notice this thread until now. It was me who deleted the original thread. At first, I just closed it. Then docscott asked me to delete it, so I did. In retrospect, this was probably the wrong call. My reasoning at the time was that it was docscott's thread, and I was just honoring his wishes. I also felt that some people, particularly Jim, were being misrepresented and unfairly portrayed in a bad light. I apologize if I overstepped my bounds, and I will definitely think twice before deleting a thread in the future.

#26 11 years ago

Just for the record, I did NOT have anything to do with the work performed on Doc's MB . I really see no reason to revisit this thread?

Squeakman is a liar and had no reason to say what he said . I hope I never meet that guy EVER !

Drama always wins!

Jim

#27 11 years ago

If an OP requests their thread be closed or deleted, I think the request should be honored. Regardless of the direction the thread takes.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

If an OP requests their thread be closed or deleted, I think the request should be honored. Regardless of the direction the thread takes.

I agree, especially if it is a for sale thread.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I agree, especially if it is a for sale thread.

I used to feel the same way, which is why I deleted the thread in the first place. After thinking about it some more, though, I'm not so sure this is the proper way to approach the situation. Once discourse begins and other members start posting in the thread, it's no longer just the OP's thread. The thread now belongs to the community as a whole.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The thread now belongs to the community as a whole.

After thinking about it you may be right. But in a for sale ad I think it should be the OPs right to have the thread closed when requested.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Gweempose has a valid point so I edited my statement.

#31 11 years ago

Not in a for sale thread those are very specific and pertinent to the OP ...

I understand where you are coming from, and it's definitively a grey area. When in doubt, I guess it's best to just bounce it off another moderator before making the call. The one thing I'm certain of, however, is that Squeakman's comments in that thread were way out of line.

But in a for sale ad I think it should be the OPs right to have the thread closed when requested.

I agree with this 100%.

#32 11 years ago

I edited my statement gweempose you made a valid point.

Quoted from gweempose:

best to just bounce it off another moderator before making the call.

That is a good idea.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I used to feel the same way, which is why I deleted the thread in the first place. After thinking about it some more, though, I'm not so sure this is the proper way to approach the situation. Once discourse begins and other members start posting in the thread, it's no longer just the OP's thread. The thread now belongs to the community as a whole.

That's my take....It somewhat goes along with the other thread started by B_R requesting that an OP be able to selectively delete posts from a thread. Once a thread is started, it's organic and no longer the property or domain of the OP...It should take its natural course and be subjected to moderation per the terms of Robin's website. But it should never be deleted, IMHO.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Once a thread is started, it's organic and no longer the property or domain of the OP...It should take its natural course and be subjected to moderation per the terms of Robin's website. But it should never be deleted, IMHO.

Agree. Marketplace lets you place and remove ads. Threads are our discussions regardless of who starts them.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

regardless of who starts them.

Or gets f**ked over by them ?

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim we all know BS when we read it. Its probably more helpful to see him called for it than for it to disappear.

#37 11 years ago

no need to be mellow dramatic about it.

closing upon OPs request is good. Deleting is bad mmmkay...

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That is not what I wrote ! I spelled it out with the UC in place and it got modded ,yet the lie and defamation still stands ?? I don't get it ???

Jim

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That is not what I wrote ! I spelled it out with the UC in place and it got modded ,yet the lie and defamation still stands ?? I don't get it ???
Jim

"The Man" is out to get you.... LOL

Take a deep breath, everything will be okay.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

This totally eluded me. I have no idea why that thread got deleted. Maybe it was deleted by accident when the moderator simply wanted to close it? I don't know and the system does not keep track of who deleted a topic.
I agree that deleting threads should be a last resort (for instance, when too much individual posts breaking the rules would need deleting) and the stuff said in the mb-fs thread does not warrant deletion.
Now before the word "censorship" gets thrown out again, here is the thread for your reading pleasure. I don't think it needs re-openening, does it?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-fs/

EDIT: The above (This) is how these types of situations should be handled.

It would be good for you to know who is deleting or closing what EDIT: and this feature in the program could be helpful.

Dan

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim

The curse causeless will not stand. Don't proliferate it, as someone once wrote, "Thou doth protesteth too much."

Dan

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

It would be good for you to know who is deleting or closing what.
This is how these types of situations should be handled.
Dan

It is impossible for one person to monitor all of that information even if implemented which is why Robin enlisted the help from moderators in the first place. So he would not have to oversee every single item that is moderated. As I said before no matter what is implemented mistakes will happen and sometimes what you think would be the right thing to do as far as what material is allowed may not be what the team deems acceptable.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim

Come on Jim, no need to get so angry. There are some rules if you want to participate here. Please calm down, play some pinball.

If you feel like adding something to the closed thread in question, you can always PM me and I'll give you that oportunity.

#44 11 years ago

It is impossible for one person to monitor all of that information even if implemented which is why Robin enlisted the help from moderators in the first place. As I said before no matter what is implemented mistakes will happen and sometimes what you think would be the right thing to do as far as what material is allowed may not be what the team deems acceptable.

Dude:

I commented on what Robin wrote, that the SYSTEM does not keep track of who deletes threads. Don't really know what you said before or why you feel the need to reassert any of it.

Dan

#45 11 years ago

I sense the need for more Salma. The medicine that just keeps on giving.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dude:
I commented on what Robin wrote, that the SYSTEM does not keep track of who deletes threads. Don't really know what you said before or why you feel the need to reassert any of it.
Dan

My post was pertinent to your post I quoted. I was basically explaining why things are not currently handled like you said they should be handled. If you did not care for my response so be it.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

If you feel like adding something to the closed thread in question, you can always PM me and I'll give you that oportunity.

Seems like this topic already ran it's course. Somebody posted something that wasn't true and the offended party called him out on it, period. Not that I care, but I'm surprised a whole other thread is dedicated to essentially a dead issue.

#48 11 years ago

My post was totally pertinent to your post I quoted. I was basically explaining why things are not currently handled like you said they should be handled. If you didn't care for the response so be it.

Dude:

You misunderstood my post. The latter comment about how things should be handled was complementary to the process and constraints Robin described and in agreement with him. I can see how the order seemed ambiguous.

I edited the post you were commenting on. I hope the original intention is clearer.

Dan

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dude:
You misunderstood my post. The latter comment about how things should be handled was complementary to the process and constraints Robin described and in agreement with him. I can see how the order seemed ambiguous.
Dan

Sorry for the confusion no offense intended it appears I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

#50 11 years ago

Sorry for the confusion no offense intended it appears I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Dude:

No problem at all, and no offense taken.

I appreciate your loyalty to pinside and Robin and have no problem with you wanting to defend them or remind me of the standards here. I am happy that, at least this time, I gave you no real reason to do so.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 75.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 12.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-docs-fsmb-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.