(Topic ID: 324537)

#WheresTheCode / What happened to code updates at JJP?

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (10) (resized).jpg
sirius-sirius-black.gif
20240408_193904 (resized).jpg
IMG_2485.gif
IMG_2476 (resized).jpeg
200w.gif
IMG_0732 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0731 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0809 (resized).png
keefer (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 12.00.32 PM (resized).png
IMG_9694 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1451 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7974878_0 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-23 121544 (resized).png
IMG_0331.gif
There are 727 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

... A negative perception about the companies code support starts to brew.

Just wait till they start threads aboot it!

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just wait till they start threads aboot it!

I have a "I was wrong about JJP code updates" thread ready to go if JJP announces multiple code updates at TPF lol

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have a "I was wrong about JJP code updates" thread ready to go if JJP announces multiple code updates at TPF lol

Them issuing any updates at this point wouldn't make you wrong. In order for perception to change there would need to be a new pattern of behavior. One round of updates wouldn't mean that JJP has changed their pattern of behavior in taking a very long time to update games.

It would only mean they finally issued updates (or even one update), and it would still be arriving WAY overdue. In my eyes they wouldn't be vindicated. It would be more of an "it's about time" event.

#54 1 year ago
A04356EF-157C-4D3C-9157-584AE04980AB (resized).pngA04356EF-157C-4D3C-9157-584AE04980AB (resized).png
#55 1 year ago
4FAE6F56-E861-4FE3-9FEF-E4EDEC8CDAD7 (resized).jpeg4FAE6F56-E861-4FE3-9FEF-E4EDEC8CDAD7 (resized).jpeg
#56 1 year ago

That's great they responded so quickly and are taking care of the issue.

#57 1 year ago

Didn't say when though.
Just next update.

#58 1 year ago

Curious-some consider Pirates code not completed? does it need major things?

I see its rated 13th all time. ive played it on route a few times i thought was pretty solid but obviously didn't get very deep into what the coding was.

edit- i reread ops first post, game has no wizard mode? LOL

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Curious-some consider Pirates code not completed? does it need major things?

I see its rated 13th all time. ive played it on route a few times i thought was pretty solid but obviously didn't get very deep into what the coding was.

It's mostly complete, but is missing the final wizard mode. There are also lot of little improvements in the beta code that have never made it into a public code release.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's mostly complete, but is missing the final wizard mode. There are also lot of little improvements in the beta code that have never made it into a public code release.

gotcha..ill have to check one out again im sure its not at the bowling alley anymore where i found it last time, plus it had no volume, couldn't hear anything

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from centerflank:

gotcha..ill have to check one out again im sure its not at the bowling alley anymore where i found it last time, plus it had no volume, couldn't hear anything

I hope you get to play it somewhere where you can hear it. David Thiel's audio really helps bring this game to another level.

2 weeks later
#62 1 year ago

The first official Toy Story 4 update in 8 months was released today, these are the contents...Very exciting. Let's hope the GNR and Pirates code update are more substantial.

Where's the notes for additional callouts, expanding upon existing or adding more modes, adding different music to the carnival modes? A meat and potatoes substantial code update has been missing from JJP for a long time.

Screenshot 2023-04-11 155539 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-04-11 155539 (resized).jpg

#63 1 year ago

Basically just removing Scorbit or it wouldn't even have been offered

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Basically just removing Scorbit or it wouldn't even have been offered

Yup - been expecting a DI update along those same lines.

1 week later
#65 1 year ago

Stern does it again! This is the 3rd or 4th time Stern has done this over the last few years. Meanwhile it’s been 18 months since the last GNR code update.

I’m going with a Godzilla Premium as my next game, Godfather looks cool but I don’t trust JJP right now with properly finishing / polishing code

AD1F6EE2-2587-454D-8F24-04D4878269BB (resized).jpegAD1F6EE2-2587-454D-8F24-04D4878269BB (resized).jpeg

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern does it again! This is the 3rd or 4th time Stern has done this over the last few years. Meanwhile it’s been 18 months since the last GNR code update.
I’m going with a Godzilla Premium as my next game, Godfather looks cool but I don’t trust JJP right now with properly finishing / polishing code
[quoted image]

Zillas fun for sure. I'd like to Play a Godfather (even after the Raymond video) but haven't run into one yet.

#67 12 months ago
Quoted from Furio:

Spoke with Ken Cromwell at Freeplay Orlando and the POTC 1.0 is nearing the end of its Beta. That's great news.

The last Beta Code that came out for POTC bricked the game because of not enough hard drive space.

Not a good sign for additional code updates.

#68 12 months ago

While not as needed as the other updates, I'd love to see an end to Dialed In. Where it stands right now I consider it 99% complete.

#69 12 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Zillas fun for sure. I'd like to Play a Godfather (even after the Raymond video) but haven't run into one yet.

Got a video link?

#70 12 months ago

I'm sure this thread will definitely help to get JJP to roll up those sleeves & immediately start updating their code. SUCKERS!!

#71 12 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

I'm sure this thread will definitely help to get JJP to roll up those sleeves & immediately start updating their code. SUCKERS!!

Believe it or not, they do read this stuff however I am not sure how much it matters to them.

Stern supports their titles way more than JJP does but JJP also offers a much more complete game on release than Stern does.

I think it a matter of, do you want it all at once or a little bit over a period of time?

#72 12 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Believe it or not, they do read this stuff however I am not sure how much it matters to them.
Stern supports their titles way more than JJP does but JJP also offers a much more complete game on release than Stern does.
I think it a matter of, do you want it all at once or a little bit over a period of time?

It's all good man IMO it doesn't really matter the only JJP game that was really good was WOZ I didn't like any of the others

#73 12 months ago

Ya like, whatcha like.

#74 12 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Got a video link?

Sorry it was a Karl video

Literally first shot of game leads to a 5 minutes MB

#75 12 months ago

That guy is an amazing player, I mean easily one of the best and to my knowledge he hasn't seen everything the game has to offer yet.

#76 12 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

That guy is an amazing player, I mean easily one of the best and to my knowledge he hasn't seen everything the game has to offer yet.

I'm a fairly mediocre player and started 3 multiballs on my first ball of playing it for the first time. I had never seen any footage of the game or read anything about it prior to hitting Start.

#77 12 months ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I'm a fairly mediocre player and started 3 multiballs on my first ball of playing it for the first time. I had never seen any footage of the game or read anything about it prior to hitting Start.

...and?

#78 12 months ago

Some people don't like that; some do.
Big whoop.

#79 12 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Big whoop.

Agree.

I played the game and it was not constant mutliball for me so my experience was not the same.

#80 12 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Big whoop.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

Agree.
I played the game and it was not constant mutliball for me so my experience was not the same.

A number of people have expressed how they feel a majority of up front multiballs (not wizard modes) in recent JJP pins don't feel like an earned an event and instead come across as random. I can see that point, GNR has several of those that come across that way.

Most pinball machines typically have a main multiball that the player can focus on. With Godfather there's several and they all feel very generic IMO. For example what about a compound is going on in Compound MB or what about Sicily is going on in Sicily MB? Nothing, it's just the same animation being played in a quadrant of the screen with the player being required to make jackpot shots. Overall there's a lack of story elements in those modes. Now compare that to Fellowship of the Ring MB in LOTR where the player has to hit the Balorg, then hit one of two shots to get the characters across the bridge, and animations are changing as those shots are made. Which is more interesting? The one from LOTR as there's far more mode choreography within in. The other two main multiballs in LOTR, Two Towers and Return of the King, are treated similar and feel unique.

Personally I think JJP has often been too focused on mode counts with their recent games versus creating rulesets with fewer modes that then offer a lot of mode choreography. Mode choreography has often been described as a game having moments, and it's also how shots are timed to animations, music, and lighting. Having a 125 modes in Pirates doesn't really mean anything when they all play the same. Now take Dialed In with it's 11 main modes, each truly feel's unique as they all have their own unique elements (music, animations, lighting, etc). The ruleset in Toy Story 4 has been a welcomed change in my opinion as the ruleset feel's more focused due to many of it's modes feeling unique with moments and stages.

#81 12 months ago

...and I initially read your response to "first shot lead to 5 minute multiball" of Karl being one of the best players out there as if it were an exception. Perhaps that's not what you meant - no offense intended, the code plays how it plays.

#82 12 months ago

JJP tailors to novice location players. Don’t like a multiball in the first 30 seconds? Tweak the settings.

1 week later
#83 11 months ago

I am very pleased. All this support is great!

IMG_4850 (resized).jpegIMG_4850 (resized).jpeg
#84 11 months ago

I'm assuming an update removing Scorbit and adding an equalizer will be coming to all machines?

#85 11 months ago

Let’s hope a big code update is coming soon for GNR!

70C3AB38-BCE4-4E0F-98DA-FFDAB23FB051 (resized).jpeg70C3AB38-BCE4-4E0F-98DA-FFDAB23FB051 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#86 11 months ago

Keith will save the day

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
2 (resized).png2 (resized).png
3 (resized).png3 (resized).png

3 weeks later
#87 10 months ago

Congrats, we've passed 600 days since the last GNR code update!

Screenshot 2023-06-09 083211 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-06-09 083211 (resized).jpg

#88 10 months ago

7ot0vl (resized).jpg7ot0vl (resized).jpg

#89 10 months ago

This thread has made me rethink getting another JJP game. I am in the middle of selling my WoZ and was thinking about TH. Maybe I will go w/Godzilla instead? Btw, what is the next JJP title? Godfather did nothing for me personally.

#90 10 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

This thread has made me rethink getting another JJP game. I am in the middle of selling my WoZ and was thinking about TH. Maybe I will go w/Godzilla instead? Btw, what is the next JJP title? Godfather did nothing for me personally.

TH-Code is complete and great now after some Updates in the past. No further Updates needed
Same for WillyWonka.

It's more a Gnr/TS-Topic so far.

#91 10 months ago
Quoted from dergroover:

TH-Code is complete and great now after some Updates in the past. No further Updates needed
Same for WillyWonka.
It's more a Gnr/TS-Topic so far.

That's good to hear. TH has been on my list for a while. Just disappointing that they are not finishing the code for such a "progressive" company. I have a GnR btw and have been frustrated.

#92 10 months ago

Hobbit has incredible code, one of the deepest out there. JJP put out several huge gaming changing updates to polish the game. I wish JJP would go back to delivering over the top substantial code updates like they used to That level of code support led to me buying more JJP pins but after GNR no, I'm done and my next NIB purchase will be a Godzilla Premium.

#93 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hobbit has incredible code, one of the deepest out there. JJP put out several huge gaming changing updates to polish the game. I wish JJP would go back to delivering over the top substantial code updates like they used to That level of code support led to me buying more JJP pins but after GNR no, I'm done and my next NIB purchase will be a Godzilla Premium.

I know GNR needs tweaks/fixes for sure. Maybe it is just because I love the music, but I still find GNR one of the most fun pins to play. TH is on my radar for sure. I am going to be moving some of my older titles for the new machines. In my head, the time is right to do that. I have played thousands of games on my MM and TZ. The older I get, the more easily bored I get. Some new titles hopefully will fill that.

BUT I think I have to now pass on future JJP games until they commit to finishing what they started. I had POTC on my radar too. That clearly is off now. No way I am paying that price for an incomplete game.

#94 10 months ago

JJP would honestly be better to go backwards at this point with code and release a little at a time like Stern rather than all upfront.

#95 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

JJP would honestly be better to go backwards at this point with code and release a little at a time like Stern rather than all upfront.

JJP is definitely releasing more code upfront recently (which is awesome) but I think it's then led to there being less code support overall. There's something to be said for releasing a game, having owners provide feedback, and then implementing some changes through updates.

Also, how long can updates remain in beta either? GNR code has been in beta for over a year...That games value has tanked and a big reason why IMO is code support. Only publicly released code updates can change the perception, and value, of a game.

If JJP wanted to "easily" generate more GNR and Toy Story sales, as well as make existing customers happy (and likely buy future JJP titles) then release more code. It's time for a 2.0 large style code update for both of these games.

#96 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP is definitely releasing more code upfront recently (which is awesome) but I think it's then led to there being less code support overall. There's something to be said for releasing a game, having owners provide feedback, and then implementing some changes through updates.
Also, how long can updates remain in beta either? GNR code has been in beta for over a year...That games value has tanked and a big reason why IMO is code support. Only publicly released code updates can change the perception, and value, of a game.
If JJP wanted to "easily" generate more GNR and Toy Story sales, as well as make existing customers happy (and likely buy future JJP titles) then release more code. It's time for a 2.0 large style code update for both of these games.

I just think Stern has more employees than JJP does, at least ones that work on software but who knows....

Both companies have their good and bad sides but I agree that if JJP would just support their games better through software, they would sell a lot more!

I mean all they would have to do is release a big update for GNR and I am sure it would gain new interest in the machine. I'm not sure why they don't do this because they are fully aware what the customer is after and it's more software support.

#97 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I just think Stern has more employees than JJP does, at least ones that work on software but who knows....
Both companies have their good and bad sides but I agree that if JJP would just support their games better through software, they would sell a lot more!
I mean all they would have to do is release a big update for GNR and I am sure it would gain new interest in the machine. I'm not sure why they don't do this because they are fully aware what the customer is after and it's more software support.

It's the same reason they haven't done a POTC update. They aren't trying to sell more GnR at this point so they aren't prioritizing updates to GnR code. Once they stopped building POTC they weren't going to put POTC code work ahead of current or upcoming titles.

It's a HUGE negative with JJP. They pretty clearly have a mindset that they've already got the money in their pocket from sales of the last title. So they're only prioritizing work on generating sales for what's on the line or what's about to be built, even if it means leaving customers hanging who bought their previous title.

#98 10 months ago

KPI's, especially when their is private equity in play mean everything. One of the most important metrics and one that is most tangible is Gross Sales. Selling of machines (units) is critical when you have investors, especially some that want to turn around a profit and get out.

Customer satisfaction KPI's are usually present, but always take a back seat to EBITDA. See customer satisfaction is nowhere in an immediate EBITDA calculation. So time and time again, companies make the mistake of focussing on their next sales dollar via "units sold" vs. building long-term customer loyalty which will bring them sales in the long run.

I can't be clearer on this. I don't agree with door #1, but it sure seems they have a new master and are trying to focus on pleasing him. Sad.

GnR is a really good game, I wonder if Slash, who put a ton of personal time into this project, is aware of the unfinished business with their brand painted all over it?

Anyone have Slash's cell #?

#99 10 months ago

#100 10 months ago

So time and time again, companies make the mistake of focussing on their next sales dollar via "units sold" vs. building long-term customer loyalty which will bring them sales in the long run.

Really good point. Stern did a couple massive well-loved updates to old games like Kiss and Munsters long after they stopped selling them. People feel pretty safe now that code on a Stern, though sometimes half-baked at the start, is going to get there in a big way....and then even more bonus updates down the road. I can't imagine what it would be like to own a really expensive game like POTC and play it all the time knowing there's no final wizard mode. That's nuts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

14,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 727 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-code-updates-at-jjp/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.