New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 128941)

What happened on mobile?

By Pinchroma

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

klov windowed.jpg
    klov full.jpg
    pinside screen pc.jpg
    pinside screen pc windowed.jpg
    pinside_mobile_after.png
    pinside_mobile_before.png
    pinside_after.png
    pinside_before.png
    image-762.jpg
    image.jpg
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg
    image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Another problem I see with the mobile version is the click to see "new posts" in a particular thread is now gone. I mean it's there but you have to click on something else (stats) to show that. This is just silly and Cumbersome.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

It's the small pencil icon on the bottom right of your post.

It took me a while to figure that out too. And not only that now the click for " new posts " in a thread is essentially gone. This is just a terrible upgrade. Why did this whole thing even happened? Can't stuff just be left alone?

#53 5 years ago

How is it any different to post a message now? People are saying that to just post this message is a chore. I find it exactly the same as it has always been.

#54 5 years ago

I have been using the beta version for a couple of weeks now and I am completely comfortable with it.

In my opinion, the site is way easier to use on my phone. In the short time that the beta site was down before this upgrade, the old version was driving me nuts.

The other thing is, Robin is open to constructive feedback and I'm sure that specific questions and suggestions will be addressed.

#55 5 years ago

I'm not noticing any of the problems you all are describing with mobile. I personally think the new responsive design looks great. I primarily view on a mobile device and I prefer the new look. For what it's worth, I'm on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3 using Safari.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

It took me a while to figure that out too. And not only that now the click for " new posts " in a thread is essentially gone. This is just a terrible upgrade. Why did this whole thing even happened? Can't stuff just be left alone?

Elderly people are more resistant to change and have a harder time adapting.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

As it is I never liked that auto scrolling BS in desktop mode. It really screws up my scroll bar when I get to the bottom of a "page".

Go to the forum.
    Click on Settings.
    Adjust "Dynamic topic lists building".

You may find other useful settings there.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

This wasn't exactly the response I expected. I was only trying to help clarify what you see to help Robin improve the web site, particularly what device you are using, what browser, what screen orientation,

@ Baiter
    Very sorry for my smart-butt quote/comment...long hot weekend...(and last day of my vacation.. )...it "works" fine for me on iphone 5 (iOS 7)...my reasons for not liking it are strictly just cosmetic...I'm sure I will like it after a few days of use...great work Robin...keep it up as it don't go unnoticed...........Joey

#59 5 years ago

Ios 6 iphone4 desktop mode is very slow to type. It isn't fun. It was fine previously. I still fail to see any benefit to this change. Cosmetic changes are not valid reasons to screw stuff up.

#60 5 years ago

Looks really ugly on a PC now. Not sure why they had to do that to make it work on mobile, no other sites do? Doesn't affect the functionality I guess, its just looks like a forum from 15 years ago now... Progress, lol.

#61 5 years ago

Loving it on mobile (iPhone/iPad), but viewing on a computer feels like a step back. Compromises!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Looks really ugly on a PC now.

I tested the old and new side by side, and remain a bit baffled about the perceived differences in look. Here are before and after images for comparison. Feel free to make specific suggestions.

pinside_before.png pinside_after.png
    #63 5 years ago

Also here is a before/after comparison for mobile... it's night and day better on a portrait mobile device.

pinside_mobile_before.png pinside_mobile_after.png
    #64 5 years ago

I really don't understand all the angst, either I'm very relaxed or the site looks very different on different devices, because on mobile it seems way better than before and on desktop the differences seem negligible to me.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Ios 6 iphone4 desktop mode is very slow to type. It isn't fun. It was fine previously. I still fail to see any benefit to this change. Cosmetic changes are not valid reasons to screw stuff up.

You are certainly entitled to use any device you wish and in any way you like in order to access the site, But, I would think that, as Robin needs to cater to a large and dynamic user base, your setup of iOS 6, iPhone 4, desktop mode is probably a rare combination and is perhaps going to get triaged lower in terms of support. It's not fun for some people when platforms change and support gets dropped, but it happens a lot. Look at all the useless Apple cables and non supported Bluetooth devices that are lying around.

#66 5 years ago

Love it on mobile so far hated zooming all the time. Love all the negativity and complaints about a site that is free after all the time someone dedicates to maintenance and upgrading. It's software - it gets upgraded. We complain and a week later it's old hat until the next upgrade.

#67 5 years ago

Nah. I'm not digging the new design on my iPhone 5s. I Just set settings back to desktop permanently.
    I'm cool with change, but the long list of sub forums on the top to scroll past was annoying and the scrunched type of look on my phone didn't look right. I like the side view wide better.

Thanks for giving it a shot Robin, but maybe just a tweak on phone device compatibility was all?

I still have no idea how to send a successful animated Gif here!

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I tested the old and new side by side, and remain a bit baffled about the perceived differences in look. Here are before and after images for comparison. Feel free to make specific suggestions.

The width is locked to a size that appears to be a little more than half the browser window, and all the empty space as well as between messages is grayed out. Here are quick screen grabs of Pinside and KLOV in case what I said doesn't make sense.

I usually read forums in windowed mode, perhaps I never noticed this until all the empty space was filled in with gray. Every other forum I read lets the browser do the scaling.

pinside screen pc windowed.jpg pinside screen pc.jpg klov full.jpg klov windowed.jpg
    #69 5 years ago
              • The new stylesheet messes up a lot of my posts, because nesting tags makes font sizes grow exponentially.
    #70 5 years ago

I just realized this info was all covered in the "Martians bring mobile update" thread. I didn't read that thread until just now because I never plan on reading any forum on a 4" screen.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

It's the small pencil icon on the bottom right of your post.

I dont see the icon to show all the posts for a particular pinsider in a thread

#72 5 years ago

Set my settings to desktop (no mobile) and it's much better on my iPhone 5s.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I dont see the icon to show all the posts for a particular pinsider in a thread

It's the small user symbol next to the post date on each post.

#74 5 years ago

I'm loving the way the site looks on my iPhone. It's my iPhone I want to smash against a wall. POS.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

It's the small user symbol next to the post date on each post.

Thank you. I wasn't scrolling far enough down to see the content once I clicked it.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

Elderly people are more resistant to change and have a harder time adapting.

Bwaaahhhaaaa! First time spitting coffee on the keyboard & Screen. Not when I read the message, but instead when I read who posted it. Priceless stuff.

maf-mi; you sir, are A#1!

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bwaaahhhaaaa! First time spitting coffee on the keyboard & Screen. Not when I read the message, but instead when I read who posted it. Priceless stuff.
    maf-mi; you sir, are A#1!

Really Bruce? You of all people laughing at an age joke?

Last I checked you were 3 decades closer to social security (if not already collecting) than I and you start nearly every post with "Back in the day..."

And you should probably have your dentures checked. They may be loose which is probably why you are drooling coffee.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Really Bruce? You of all people laughing at an age joke?
    Last I checked you were 3 decades closer to social security (if not already collecting) than I and you start nearly every post with "Back in the day..."
    And you should probably have your dentures checked. They may be loose which is probably why you are drooling coffee.

It's because I personally know both parties as well as the demeanor of the guy busting Clay's balls. Trust me, you would have done the same thing, even though you're a kid.

FYI, no dentures. Still a ways off from collecting SS. Alas, I will be able to start drawing on my Rockwell International pension soon.

#79 5 years ago

Those of you who found typing slow slow on mobile devices.. Please give it another try. I think I found a reason for the editor slowdown; and Robin implemented my suggestion. It felt faster to me but my 6+; I can type without the site adding noticeable lag to the edit box. However, my 6+ is a faster device than those with an iPhone 5 or 5s.

#80 5 years ago

Some of us on the beta team are trying to reproduce bugs. It would be very helpful if they were all being reported in one area and not three.

I would like to propose closing this thread, and focusing all new bugs, feature requests, concerns, and praises, to two areas:

Please post:
    PRAISE / CONCERNS (not bugs)
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/martians-bring-pinside-mobile-update

BUGS and FEATURE REQUESTS
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/bugs

-mof

#81 5 years ago

its tough to use on my galaxy s5, i just dont go to the site on my phone now

#82 5 years ago

Topic closed at request of OP. Please follow instruction two posts above this one. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    £ 99.00
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    € 10.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside