Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

klov windowed.jpg
    klov full.jpg
    pinside screen pc.jpg
    pinside screen pc windowed.jpg
    pinside_mobile_after.png
    pinside_mobile_before.png
    pinside_after.png
    pinside_before.png
    image-762.jpg
    image.jpg
    2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg
    image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

The site is severely broken on mobile specifically iOS. I had a difficult time even getting this to post as the post box sizing was all off and now the first post is 3 pages down past the subtopics.

#2 8 years ago

Contact Robin, they did a site update today. Changed a lot of things. To be more mobile friendly.

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

Testing with reply. Seems ok. IPhone 6. Ios8.3

#4 8 years ago

Click desktop on bottom of screen (scroll down)... Back to old way

#5 8 years ago

Desktop is better for viewing but still difficult to quote people

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from danczaz:

Click desktop on bottom of screen (scroll down)... Back to old way

Never mind
    Double tap

#7 8 years ago

This comment seems to work fine on iOS and iPhone 6+.

#8 8 years ago

Okay. First post of a thread is challenged.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Desktop is better for viewing but still difficult to quote people

On desktop, try mousing over JUST the sentence you want to quote, then notice the new blue button. What do you think of that?
    -mof

#10 8 years ago

Things look a little wonky in firefox on win7, even after a hard refresh

2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg2015-05-29 21_21_00-What happened on mobile_ - Pinside.com.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Nothing looks proper on Chrome on the mac either. Grey boxes everywhere.

#13 8 years ago

Tried to switch to Desktop on mobile but it's all strange and slow now.

#14 8 years ago

Yolks good on my iPad!

#15 8 years ago

My problem is I can't jump to the unread posts since my last visit when I'm on my phone. I'm sure he'll work the bugs out. Looks much better on the phone now. Just some navigation problems.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My problem is I can't jump to the unread posts since my last visit when I'm on my phone. I'm sure he'll work the bugs out. Looks much better on the phone now. Just some navigation problems.

I experience this too. The link for "x posts since your last visit" is missing. Chrome on android.

#17 8 years ago

Thought it was mostly perfect. Site only works properly for me in landscape and the subforums at the top is driving me nuts. Posts way below the fold

#18 8 years ago

Yea im on a Samsung tablet and its all jacked up

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pretty sure that's what it's supposed to look like.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Pretty sure that's what it's supposed to look like.

Some of the other screenshots that were posted look a bit different.

The bar above each post is missing and the font is huge.

#21 8 years ago

If you guys have specify problems, please start a thread in Pinside bugs. Try to provide as much info as possible such as the device you are using, the operating system on it and the program you are using to access such as explorer, Chrome….. Robin will look at the issues and see what he needs to fix.

#22 8 years ago

This is my first thread to click on after the change.
    So far not a fan

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from danczaz:

I don't see any issues with your screenshot, that is the new layout. Quoting can reference the wrong person though.

#24 8 years ago

Don't like it either......iphone 6...Safari iOS.....too busy....old way was stream lined and looked good................Joey

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Don't like it either......iphone 6...Safari iOS.....too busy....old way was stream lined and looked good................Joey

Please explain "too busy"? There's no more content added to any page. On a smaller screen you will see one, maybe two columns of content rather than 3 of the previous design, and it avoids the need to pan around...seems simpler to me.

#26 8 years ago

I love the new responsive layout! Hated to zoom in and out all the time on mobile with the old layout.

No problems on iOS 8.3

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Please explain "too busy"? There's no more content added to any page. On a smaller screen you will see one, maybe two columns of content rather than 3 of the previous design, and it avoids the need to pan around...seems simpler to me.

I'm very sorry that my opinion is different than yours....instead of explaining myself I'll just like it because you do..............Joey

#28 8 years ago

Working fine for me on iPod Touch 5th Gen iOS 8. I think the mobile site looks good now. I don't remember what the mobile site used to look like, but I guess I didn't like it because I used to switch to the desktop site on mobile. Good job!

#29 8 years ago

I'm very sorry that my opinion is different than yours....instead of explaining myself I'll just like it because you do..............Joey

OR....maybe answer the question? Maybe he is in a position to make changes, but "too busy" is a vague as to what the actual issue is for you. Not everyone is a douche on Pinside

Chris

#30 8 years ago

There never was one. Even the desktop site doesn't look proper. All the gray bars everywhere looks unpolished and like its missing elements. Please revert back. It was perfect before this.

All this stuff above the fold before you get to the content is not proper. It's driving me nuts to scroll 3 pages just to get to the content.

Both of those screenshots are main page and thread but you would never know it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#31 8 years ago

Is there any way the desktop button could be moved to the top of the page? I am having to open a thread to select the desktop button because by the time I scroll down to the bottom of the main page where the desktop button is the next page loads before I can tap on the desktop button. Forcing me to then scroll through the next page to attempt it again (often with the same results). It's very frustrating.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nelly:

Is there any way the desktop button could be moved to the top of the page? I am having to open a thread to select the desktop button because by the time I scroll down to the bottom of the main page where the desktop button is the next page loads before I can tap on the desktop button. Forcing me to then scroll through the next page to attempt it again (often with the same results). It's very frustrating.

You'll have to go to settings at the top of the page. Scroll down to turn off dynamic page loads and save. Once you revert back to desktop then go back to settings and select dynamic page loads and resave.

I had the same issue. Wasn't fast enough to click the link in less than 3 milliseconds.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

OR....maybe answer the question.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

All the gray bars everywhere looks unpolished and like its missing elements. Please revert back. It was perfect before this.
    All this stuff above the fold before you get to the content is not proper. It's driving me nuts to scroll 3 pages just to get to the content.

This guy knows what I'm talking about.................Joey

#34 8 years ago

The site was unusable on mobile before. If you have to scroll left to right on a mobile device, it's bad usability. The new design is perfect, thank you robin!

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

The site was unusable on mobile before. If you have to scroll left to right on a mobile device, it's bad usability. The new design is perfect, thank you robin!

I concur.

#36 8 years ago

Anyone know how i can keep it on desktop setting? When i click on desktop it is fine. When i log back in i'm back at the mobile lay-out.

Too much scrolling for me. I want the old stuff

#37 8 years ago

Found the desktop button. It's much better now, but slow. Why was an upgrade needed again? Was there somethin severly wrong with the previous version? My motto is if it ain't broke then don' fix it...

#38 8 years ago

Did you have a flip phone from the 90's? It was perfect on an iPhone 6. The design isn't really responsive. Way too much wrap around. I'm one for updates and progress but this makes the user experience much more difficult and the quoting on mobile isn't intuitive.

#39 8 years ago

This wasn't exactly the response I expected. I was only trying to help clarify what you see to help Robin improve the web site, particularly what device you are using, what browser, what screen orientation, etc.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

There never was one. Even the desktop site doesn't look proper. All the gray bars everywhere looks unpolished and like its missing elements. Please revert back. It was perfect before this.
    Both of those screenshots are main page and thread but you would never know it.
    image.jpg image.jpg

The site was redesigned for a slightly smaller maximum width than before, 1024. That's a fairly standard maximum for web sites, but it is possible for Robin to add one step-up of width since desktops can go to 1920... is that what you are looking for? It's the reason for the grey bars in the sides.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Found the desktop button. It's much better now, but slow. Why was an upgrade needed again? Was there somethin severly wrong with the previous version? My motto is if it ain't broke then don' fix it...

It was done primarily for mobile devices because mobile browsing has surpassed desktop browsing... For me it was a not a pleasant experience to use the old site on a mobile device, I had constant issues panning pages, zooming, and entering post info.... but this version is much improved for that purpose. You can emulate the differences in any desktop browser by squeezing the browser width and watching the display change.

#41 8 years ago

Site is working better than ever for me on Android Galaxy S3. Keep up the good work.

#42 8 years ago

People complaining now need to move on! There is a reason why Google will down rate your site if it is not mobile friendly.
    Maybe if you have a phone as big as a small tablet it was fine before. If not then no, you had to zoom in an out all the time and is was pain.
    Responsive design is what counts these days. Maybe there are some small bugs that needs attention. But saying the old was great on mobile is just so wrong.
    People use different devices and resolutions and saying one is great for all is not the truth.

#43 8 years ago

Is there some technical limitation that would keep the "responsive" version from handling larger desktop (or modern phablet...since a lot of them are just as big or bigger resolution-wise) sizes as well? The header already does it. I just don't understand the reason why it's artificially limited on the upper end.

#44 8 years ago

Bookmark the responsive link.
    Perhaps this link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/?responsive=0

Visit the bookmark to start your Pinside day.

#45 8 years ago

Man Pinside is AWEFUL on my iphone5 now.
    yesterday it was fine. Now it's unusable.

Is there some reason why people can't leave things alone? The mobile version of this was really pretty decent prior to today. Now it's a complete cluster. It's like sometimes people change things just to change things and there really is no good basis for doing it.

#46 8 years ago

fwiw, I find pinside pretty useful now. Both landscape (wide) and portrait (tall) modes on the iPhone 6+. Everything's a ton more readable. And when I want the desktop experience I just go landscape mode. Everything that was hidden, shows immediately up.

If anything I want more stuff to go away under portrait mode. But some people have a difficult time (or at least an inconvenient time enabling and disabling rotation lock) to make some of the semi-essential stuff go away completely.

#47 8 years ago

No. Pinside is a slow clusterf* in desktop mode on my phone now. I hate mobile site in general. Hey are always small, prevent zoom/scaling, and are overall unpleasant to use. At this rare I will greatly minimize my use of this site when I'm not t my desktop.

As it is I never liked that auto scrolling BS in desktop mode. It really screws up my scroll bar when I get to the bottom of a "page". But this mobile crap is downright unusable. Typing tis message was a bloody chore.

#48 8 years ago

And I agree that the new grey bar thing looks sloppy.
    (No idea how to edit now as there's no edit button.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

(No idea how to edit now as there's no edit button.

It's the small pencil icon on the bottom right of your post.

#50 8 years ago

Lame

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-on-mobile and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.