(Topic ID: 165306)

What happened getting it into the gameroom?

By Tazmancat

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gC2UM98_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hubby and I just took delivery on a Metallica. Our game room is in our basement, and the only way to get pins down there is to go around the house, over a curb, and down a grassy, steep embankment. I always have visions of the hand truck with the pin strapped to it somehow taking off, mowing one of us down, and careening down the embankment into the woods.

Any stories of disaster getting the new acquisition into the game room?

#2 7 years ago

Yikes, well nothing scary on my side yet. Like you, my game room is in the basement and my impatience has led me not to wait for my wife or friends to help.

I'm wondering how many stories are out there but some may be embarrassed to share!

#3 7 years ago

My brother couldn't fit Pinbot through his glass door. Took the head off. No problem. Put it back on. Accidentally punched a wire. Blew out a number of things including the transformer. Ended up being like a $200 repair...

#4 7 years ago

It is a lot easier getting them in than out. Spent the last three hours pulling out my BK2000 and an Asteroids. Had to hook up a boat winch and crank them up the basement steps. My wife was panicked the whole time. That Astoroids was a bitch really top heavy and awkward.

#5 7 years ago

No tragedies yet, thank goodness, but I've been informed that I can't purchase any more pins when our triathlete neighbor is out of town and can't help move the machine in. Guess my T-Rex arms aren't much help for hubby when we are trying to get stuff inside!

#6 7 years ago

I've delivered pins up a spiral staircase.

You take the head off and the playfield out.

It takes 4 trips up, lol

#7 7 years ago

Moving a Judge Dredd by myself, one of the legs/brackets broke. Thankfully a side table was within reach to slide under that corner.

#8 7 years ago

Brought a WW out of my basement, easy peasy, on my large wagon to ship out of state, was sliding it off the wagon by myself(it was on the wagon upright, no legs and back folded down, wasn't taking my time and the damn thing flopped over on its side on the concrete garage floor, I ran out of four letter words and checked the damage, WTF, no damage, lesson leaned, take your time.

#9 7 years ago

A similar case wheeling a rare Baby Pac-Man from the warehouse into the shop. I got impatient and had a 3 inch step to bring the two wheeled dolly up on. I lost my grip on the cabinet and the whole thing fell forward. My heart skipped a beat but fortunately a Taito Super Chase stopped it from falling onto the concrete floor and destroying it. It only suffered some minor damage to the bezel trim. Talk about lucky!

#10 7 years ago

Was unloading a Funhouse to be high ended and had it sat on its butt, went to get the dolly and it tipped backwards landing on the back of the head. Shattered the glass all over my driveway and street, broke all 4 corners of the head, broke the ramps and other small things. A silent moment of 'what the f*** just happened'

#11 7 years ago

Took a GnR down the basement stairs with my son below and me above. I had moved dozens of machines with him in this configuration. For some reason, I thought, maybe if we lay the refrigerator cart flat on the stairs it will slide down easier than one step at a time. I said, "are you good"...he said "yes"..."are you sure"..."yes"...so I lay it down and the next thing I know it is following him down the stairs (in a hurry)...I thought I killed him. He was wearing sandals and he caught one on the other and slid down the stairs with the GnR following him. He was OK and I was relieved for both him and the GnR...all good. But he has been hesitant to help me ever since. I now have an Escalera and all is good.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmancat:

Hubby and I just took delivery on a Metallica. Our game room is in our basement, and the only way to get pins down there is to go around the house, over a curb, and down a grassy, steep embankment. I always have visions of the hand truck with the pin strapped to it somehow taking off, mowing one of us down, and careening down the embankment into the woods.
    Any stories of disaster getting the new acquisition into the game room?

I've got a similar style here, grassy hill around side of house to basement. I used a dolly with large wheels to get em down, that's ok.
    Next drove a truck around with pin in back. Also drove my SUV down with a trailer to bring up a mortal kombat arcade.
    Now for pins I just go up or down the stairs with on an apliance dolly.
    Sorry no good stories.

#13 7 years ago

First pin. Seller said don't tip it on it's back or side ever. (Obviously not true in most situations (back) and handtrucking on it's back is the way to go, I didn't know that yet and believed him) Just had major surgery and couldn't heavy lift, parents (note: I'm a teenager, they're not old people, wouldn't do that to them) had to do it and help out.

Tight hallway with a sharp tight turn into my room, machine wouldn't fit. Very very heavy and big EM game. Couldn't make a turn because the leg bolts were hitting the corner of the wall. Took one back leg off, rotated, put said leg back on, took next leg off, rotated, got it past the wall, put leg back on. Meanwhile my dad (who easily gets angry, and is strong, but out of shape) is dripping sweat because we were told not to set the machine down and he had to hold the machine up every time we took a leg off. Picture 3 people stuck in a corner holding up a heavy game with all four/three legs on in a tight hallway for about an hour. Didn't have the right wrench so we had to use an adjustable.

Game ended up fine, but that was an awful experience! Wish I knew my stuff back then. It's like a breeze now.

When I finally took it out I handtrucked (it was TOTALLY fine) it out a few months later it took 10 seconds.

----------------------

Here's the picture of it standing up in the snow after we had to figure out a way to put all four legs on without setting it on the ground because we didn't know we could, so we rested it on the bumper on one corner, then the other corner, and then it was lifted it all the way to my house and inside...

gC2UM98_(resized).jpggC2UM98_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

ive dropped a wcs off of a handtruck into a mud puddle before, i was like shiiit! no harm done and it cleaned up nicely

#15 7 years ago

We live in a raised ranch with a hill on the side of the house and a fence with a gate at the bottom. Last Winter I decided to bring a couple machines around from the garage to the basement on a warm day with snow still on the ground. I got about 1/3 of the way down the hill and hit ice under the snow - the next thing you know I am in the back yard with machine still on the handtruck but gate didn't look to good. I had not opened it before I headed down the hill but when I hit it at about 20MPH that closed & latched gate is the only thing that kept me from killing myself. NEVER AGAIN with snow on the ground!

As far as the machine goes it was OK but didn't really matter anyway --- It was one headed to be parted out. If it was something good it would have likely ended up in pieces!

#16 7 years ago

[Edit: Decided to merge the snow picture in with the other post since people posted after it, too much distance ]

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Farmboss:

That Astoroids was a bitch really top heavy and awkward.

Take the monitor out next time and it makes it much easier. Asteroids g5 comes out with removing a few screws and unplugging one connector then slides right out.

#18 7 years ago

I have a walkout basement and like to take games in and out through that door instead of going down the stairs. With a game on the 2 wheeler, at the top of the hill leading down to the back yard, I caught a rut and lost controll. The game rolled off the 2 wheeler and did 2.5 barrel rolls before coming to a stop.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

I have a walkout basement and like to take games in and out through that door instead of going down the stairs. With a game on the 2 wheeler, at the top of the hill leading down to the back yard, I caught a rut and lost controll. The game rolled off the 2 wheeler and did 2.5 barrel rolls before coming to a stop.

OMG! Was the game destroyed?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmancat:

OMG! Was the game destroyed

Nope, a divot in the yard and a little dirt on the cab. Thats all

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-getting-it-into-the-gameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.