Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Figured I'd see what other things other guys out there keep goofing up when working on machines. We all have our little foibles, so let's have some fun with them. For me, the two most common ones I do that drive me nuts are these....

1: Flip up a playfield, without forgetting to take out the balls first. Thankfully I haven't broken anything yet.

2: Older solid states, I keep putting the heads on with the power cord still inside the cabinet. So I have to take the head off again to get it out.

What about you guys?

#2 4 years ago

No idea why. When I shop my original MM, I always forget to plug the ramp connectors back in.

First person that plays it and mentions things not working, then I go do it. Every mother lovin time.

I don't do it on MMR for some reason.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Take mechs and such apart and forget to take pictures so I have a pile of parts and a short memory.

#4 4 years ago

Besides the previously stated forgetting to take the balls out before lifting the playfield, I often forget to put the ball back in after working on it!

#5 4 years ago

Not really a mistake, but every time I clean the playfield of my pins and get everything buttoned up again, as soon as I start my first game, there it is, a piece of fuzz right there in the middle. Pisses me off something fierce. I can’t continue until it’s gone

#6 4 years ago

Oh yeah, another favorite of mine is the big greasy hand-prints I always leave right in the middle of the playfield glass..... on the inside.

-Hans

#7 4 years ago

Damn you guys suck.

#8 4 years ago

I drop the tv remote once a day. Every. Single. Day.

#9 4 years ago

According to my wife the most consistent mistake I make is logging onto pinside everyday.

#10 4 years ago

I wear gloves when handling the glass, but forgetting the balls before and after definitely. I take tons of pics, again there is always that one shot that is missed in all 50 pictures. Always a loose boogle after cleaning for sure that will drive you nuts. Or one little spot of wax. Good stuff guys and totally relate.

#11 4 years ago

Alright, I’ll join in. Putting any tool or item down, then, a split second later, having to spend 20 minutes looking for it to either find it in LA LA land or not at all...

Until you DON’T need it.

#12 4 years ago

I have left a few screwdrivers in my machines to find much later.

I have also put my beer in the machine while working on it and then wondered where the heck I put it for a while after putting the playfield down..

#13 4 years ago

Nudge the wrong way when a ball is teetering on the outlane.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Nudge the wrong way when a ball is teetering on the outlane.

Everytime!!!

#15 4 years ago

Holding a wire in place while soldering and thinking it won't burn your fingers this time.

#16 4 years ago

When rebuilding a flipper - i perfectly install the coil back in the base, coil stop nice and tight. Then disassemble it to put in the plunger...

#17 4 years ago

Setting up EMs. Put the Backbox on without pulling out the power cord first.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Alright, I’ll join in. Putting any tool or item down, then, a split second later, having to spend 20 minutes looking for it to either find it in LA LA land or not at all...
    Until you DON’T need it.

Ha! This is my trademark. Use tool X, place tool X in back pocket, use something else, do about 50 laps around the basement looking for tool X muttering profanity, finally realize I am an idiot, put tool Z in my pocket while using tool X...and the circle of life continues.

#19 4 years ago

Mentioned this in another post, but after working on rebuilding a board/new connector pins/etc. I put everything back together, push the button to start a game, then nothing happens. I'm ready to tear back into everything again, check voltages, check fuses, etc. (and maybe have once or twice) before I realize the credits zeroed out and need added back in before a game will start. My old Sterns don't have a free play option. . .

#20 4 years ago

For the non-pinball category I tend to eat temperature extreme foods too quickly/before I should. Too hot and I burn the roof of my mouth, too cold and I get one of those brain freezes -- I hate those things!

#21 4 years ago

Remembering something I needed from Marco right after placing an order...

#22 4 years ago

My repairs would be done in half the time if I didn't include all the time spent searching for all those tiny screws that I drop.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Figured I'd see what other things other guys out there keep goofing up when working on machines. We all have our little foibles, so let's have some fun with them. For me, the two most common ones I do that drive me nuts are these....
    1: Flip up a playfield, without forgetting to take out the balls first. Thankfully I haven't broken anything yet.
    2: Older solid states, I keep putting the heads on with the power cord still inside the cabinet. So I have to take the head off again to get it out.
    What about you guys?

put the glass back on but forget to load the balls. I now try and use the lockdown bar to store the balls.

button up a game but forget to plug a connector in. there is one plug on the bally driver board i always miss for some stupid reason like its a mental block.

#24 4 years ago

2 times when assembling the head back on onto a Sys11 pin - plug in a connector for the GI into the powerboard instead of the interconnect board (I think thats my mistake I already forgot the exact connectors involved) - the result is shorting the coil power onto the GI, burning all GI lamps on the playfield immediately..

#25 4 years ago

My typical three are:

Head on without pulling the power cord.
    Forgetting to put balls back into EM's then wondering why game will not start.
    Hell I forgot the third already - I hate getting old!

#26 4 years ago

Removing pinstadiums b4 lifting pf.

Shutting coin door before moving the lockdown bar to the right.

Putting balls back in the pin.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Remembering something I needed from Marco right after placing an order...

I feel your pain on this one!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

My typical three are:
    Head on without pulling the power cord.
    Forgetting to put balls back into EM's then wondering why game will not start.
    Hell I forgot the third already - I hate getting old!

Now I remember the third - not closing coin door on Gottlieb system 3 machines then wondering why they don't work!

#29 4 years ago

Not pulling the coin door interlock switch when testing.

#30 4 years ago

Mine are all repeats of those already posted, but it's good to know misery has company! After a couple of near disasters early on, I no longer forget to pull the balls out, but I'll be damned if I do not forget to put them back in probably 90% of the time! I've also lost tools only to find them months later in the bottom of the machine. And dropping screws that magically disappear is another good one.

#31 4 years ago

On a Kiss several years ago I was repinning the lower left plug on the cpu board. When I encountered the 2 grey wires I assumed they were the same. I clipped and repinned both and inserted. Little did I know one is 5vdc the other is 45vdc. Lots of smoke and burnt out all boards.
    Lamp driver all ic,s all displays, sound board,cpu,driver etc.
    No I always donone wire atba time assuming nothing.

#32 4 years ago

Working my ass off for my company, measurably increasing their market share and doubling revenue in our space, but then expecting a raise, a bonus, or literally any recognition.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Besides the previously stated forgetting to take the balls out before lifting the playfield, I often forget to put the ball back in after working on it!

That’s part of my ritual! The glass is back on, lockdown bar snug, and when I hit start, the coils all fire for the ball search.

#34 4 years ago

Using pinball funds on a random machine purchase,thinking I'll sell it at a profit. The machine never leaves, funds depleted.

#35 4 years ago

Forgetting to remove the pinballs before I raise the playfield is my Achilles heel

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Oh yeah, another favorite of mine is the big greasy hand-prints I always leave right in the middle of the playfield glass..... on the inside.
    -Hans

This! Every freaking time!

#37 4 years ago

Re-rubbering a bingo playfield, sliding the glass in, screwing down the front rail (which is sometimes a headache) and then noticing I missed a playfield post rubber.

#38 4 years ago

Finding a screw that I misplaced rolling around the playfield after a ball frees it.

#39 4 years ago

Here is a good one I just remembered from years past. I once left a soldering iron plugged into a service outlet and turned on for about two weeks until I finally found it. Besides the iron tip corroded out to hell no harm came of it. I even played the game numerous times not knowing the iron was in the cabinet turned on.

#40 4 years ago

I make the power cord in the cab mistake all the time.

One I use to do that I have since smartened up on, is to solder wire leads to switches, coils, exc. before mounting them. I would literally have the iron in one hand while trying to hold/balance whatever I had just replaced and the wire all while feeding or carrying over solder. Then kick myself for it looking too sloppy.

Those days are over but the kicking is still happening.

Thanks
    Blake

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Pretty much this, all the time LOL

#42 4 years ago

You're also supposed to remove the balls during transport.

As our collective can attest to, we've set up pinball events in the park several times, sometimes as many as three machines brought to and from the tent - and not remembered to remove the balls even once.

"Oops, there go the balls!" has become a running joke.

#43 4 years ago

Forgetting to pull the power cord out from inside the head before bolting the head down on a Bally bingo.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

According to my wife the most consistent mistake I make is logging onto pinside everyday.

Searching every morning for pins to buy.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

... I once left a soldering iron plugged into a service outlet and turned on for about two weeks until I finally found it. ... I even played the game numerous times not knowing the iron was in the cabinet turned on.

Yikes!

#46 4 years ago

Buying NIB JJP’s.

#47 4 years ago

leaving my brand new roll of plastic at the guys house I bought the pinball from.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Clicked on the thread just to post this. I've done it dozens of times, usually at pinball shows.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

leaving my brand new roll of plastic at the guys house I bought the pinball from.

Or my lockdown bar in Chicago.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I do this about 90% of the time, curse at myself for doing it, remove the balls, do the work, clean the glass, get everything back together and turn it on and then realize I didn't put the balls back in. Curse at myself, finally play pinball...

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-goofy-mistakes-do-you-always-make/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.