(Topic ID: 37356)

What gets a 6 year old excited about pinball???

By dapperdan24

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Popeye.jpg
20130123_190504.jpg
20130122_184416.jpg
#1 11 years ago

POPEYE!!! Went to Phoenix to trade my TSPP for a POTC (which went great) then dropped off a No Fear at Pinlawyers (with/for my buddy Tracelifter) and wound up buying the nicest Popeye on the planet. Funny how things work out. I am a happy boy, but my 6 year old is beyond happy. Played 10 games in a row at least! Awesome.

Side note, I really like the game!

20130122_184416.jpg20130122_184416.jpg

#2 11 years ago

What a great day !

Thank you for sharing.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Cool. My 6 year old wouldn't even play if I paid her.

#4 11 years ago

Your lineup has certainly improved since I picked up your JP. Congrats on your new pins!!!!

#5 11 years ago

The kids got class

#6 11 years ago

I'm starting to feel a trend- Popeye!

#7 11 years ago

Fun mix in the lineup. Congrats on your new toys.

#8 11 years ago

Congrats Dapperdan!
Now let's see if you can get the kid to eat his spinach...

#9 11 years ago

Had one in my highschool gameroom. That is the pin that I learned there were actual "rules" to pinball on. I was a flailer and was plenty happy just doing that. Watched a guy play once and he owned the machine. He then showed me which shots did what, and what to shoot for and when. It was a neat, eye opening experience.

And yes, I enjoyed Popeye but haven't played it since.

#10 11 years ago

Pin2000 really gets my kids interested, now that they are older, any pin is good

#11 11 years ago

Having one in your bedroom! I sold my f-14 to family this X-mas. Who asked me to delivered it to their 8 year olds bedroom. All I could think is why my parents weren't that cool. Just hope they didn't leave it in attract mode when he sleeps. Now you die Comrade!!!!!
Al

#12 11 years ago

Nice, I played a beat up one on route and liked it. can only imagine a minty one is much better. BTW, your Creech has a Credit Dot! OGNO!

#13 11 years ago

Creech has a dot, Popeye has one too! Just moved everything around so I need to adjust a few things. No big deal

#14 11 years ago

Night two and still going strong. This time my 4 year old is enjoying some Creature too!

20130123_190504.jpg20130123_190504.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Slightly off topic question. Whats a credit dot and how was he able to tell you that?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from royce6135:

Whats a credit dot and how was he able to tell you that?

It looks like a "period" on the dmd. Click the photo for a larger image & you'll see it. Credit dot is the games way of telling you it has a problem.

#17 11 years ago

My almost 6 yr old likes GNR , AC/DC , XFiles , BSD , NGG , SM , Lost World Jurassic Park etc ... She's getting Better !! She Really Liked Spidey !!

#19 11 years ago

One of the big complaints people have with Popeye is the obstructed view because of the upper area. Is this not an issue for shorter players? Honest question.

#20 11 years ago

Popeye is a Cool Pin ... Very Under-rated ... Young Kids seem to Dig it..

#21 11 years ago

I sold my popeye & missed it BAD!! The guy I sold it to called me about a year later to see if I wanted to buy it back"for less than i sold it for"because he was moving. I was so glad to get it back I LED'd it & put in pinball pro sub. I'm in it less than 1K & its not leaving the game room again! My 4 year old is only interested in LOTR right now,but I think she'll figure out popeye soon.

#22 11 years ago

my 8 year old gets excited and rates games on how much color changing bling it has. So TF is the one she likes the best, because of the topper, flipper buttons, speaker grills , backbox panel (all color changing), mirror blades and custom megatron. Nothing to do with the theme, or how it plays. Just how many colors the game can produce. Good thing she's not buying my game collection.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from royce6135:

Slightly off topic question. Whats a credit dot and how was he able to tell you that

To add to the earlier response, the credit dot is a period that will show up after the "credit". In my picture, it comes after free play as that is essentially my credit. It was/is a way to let ops know the machine has an error or errors. Put the machine in test and you can find the problems.

#24 11 years ago

Look like both dad and son are digging the Popeye, I can stop by anytime if you need help with the switch errors, the one on the Creech may be the ramp or bowl if you haven't made it up there in a few games.
Popeye is probably from the massage it got on I-10, I didn't notice it at Greg's place.

#25 11 years ago

When I was a kid, every pin I came across was broken
If somebody had a game in their home, it was always just assumed that you shouldn't touch it because it doesn't work.

I never got to play Popeye. I've played most solid state pins ever created, but this one has alluded me.
It does seem like a game most diehard pinheads aren't thrilled with, but then they are all very picky & sometimes fail to factor in whether the game is just plain fun or not. Regardless of whether things are cluttered or bad rules or even poor design, if the game is a good time then that is half the battle right there.

With the prices they often go for, I'd always give thought to getting Popeye if one comes around, but the rub comes where I'd have to move out one of my current games that I definitely like in order to take a gamble. The solution, make more space appear somehow.

#26 11 years ago

Once you get used to where the shots are under the mini playfield,its all good. Great sounds,music,dots,& the rules are actually done well. They could have done away with the wheel from the ball launch. It is rewarding when you unlock an animal on the left ramp & then nail the right loop. & finding sweet pea is always a challenge!!!

#27 11 years ago

Congrats!

As a side note, that POTC used to be mine!

The pin world is pretty small.

#28 11 years ago

Same thing that gets this grown up pumped up to play! Ritalin....lots and lots of Ritalin.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ritalin....lots and lots of Ritalin.

Mmmmmmm, Ritalin!

#30 11 years ago

I thought you were going to say "If it's on the ipad."

But Popeye works just as well!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

.....wound up buying the nicest Popeye on the planet......
Side note, I really like the game!

I am super glad you love your Popeye, but I would love for you to play mine and then decide for yourself which is the nicest Popeye on the planet. I have quite a few custom mods to mine, and have never seen one in the same ballpark as mine.

Totally agree though Popeye is a great pin and I am always happy to come home and get a few games in no matter what pin I was out playing.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

I am super glad you love your Popeye, but I would love for you to play mine and then decide for yourself which is the nicest Popeye on the planet. I have quite a few custom mods to mine, and have never seen one in the same ballpark as mine.

I smell a challenge!

#33 11 years ago

Custom topper with LED flashers individually connected to same flashers on table.

Popeye.jpgPopeye.jpg

#34 11 years ago

I bought a Popeye for my kids to play (tried to get more kid friendly themes) and they hated it (9 and 4yrs old). I ended up playing it all the time before selling it (it's really a fun game).

#35 11 years ago

can one eat too much spinach?

#36 11 years ago

The only way my kids would ever get excited about my pins would be if there was a box of Krispy Kreme's sitting on top of the glass...

#37 11 years ago

"What gets a 6 year old excited about pinball???"

A ticket dispenser on AC/DC and Tron at GameWorks in Schaumburg. Seriously.

Redemption rules.

-Mark

#38 11 years ago

I have no tickets on the Popeye and he is still having a blast! Guess we'll just have to bring up the next generation of players!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

One of the big complaints people have with Popeye is the obstructed view because of the upper area. Is this not an issue for shorter players? Honest question.

Anyone....anyone?

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Anyone....anyone?

Yes, I have asked much shorter people that play and supposedly they can see the shots better, and I have the leg adjusters on mine set to the highest setting possible and on furniture rollers and the vision problems are typically only by people who have not spent enough time on the machine to have a feel for the shots.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from royce6135:

Slightly off topic question. Whats a credit dot and how was he able to tell you that?

See on CFTBL where it says Free Play. ? The period ( dot ) after Play is a credit dot.

Called so because if a game isn't on free play, it would be on the lower right corner of how many credits are on the game. Like - 12. or 3. or 0.

It is a tech alert. Not always a bad thing. Most common is if a switch didn't register by getting hit in 30 balls or ten games, it comes up in error. Could need attention, maybe just didn't get hit.

LTG : )

#42 11 years ago

Custom topper with LED flashers individually connected to same flashers on table.

I like my topper just as well!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Now there is a topper!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 40.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-gets-a-6-year-old-excited-about-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.