(Topic ID: 250068)

What Genres are hot these days with 45 RPM records?

By too-many-pins

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190824_230933.jpg
    20190824_230909.jpg
    iron-maiden-piece-of-mind (resized).jpg
    20190824_175147 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I am an old fart and still like my classic rock, oldies, and some country music in our Jukeboxes but I am getting ready to sell off a few thousand records and I am just curious what is hot these days as far as 45 RPM records go. I have been "out of the loop" for years as far as what is selling and what isn't. I know "classic country" has always been a tough sell (1940's to 1960's stuff) but beyond that I don't have a clue.

THANKS!

#2 4 years ago

I dunno, but I might be interested in any 80's or super early electronic stuff that you might stumble across.. think "Rainbow in Curved Air" by Terry Riley...which sadly will not fit on a juke-sized record..

Trying to buy records from Half Price Books is both fun and frustrating, because they will seriously resell completely cracked records. I guess a big factor would be are you trying to sell in bulk, or singles?

#3 4 years ago

I like the 45’s from around 1972 to 1976. Great years for pinball. At least for me.

#4 4 years ago

As far as the collectible/rare market goes these days most people are looking for soul/R&B from the 50's to the early 70's (especially 60's British Northern Soul), 60's psychedelia and obscure regional garage rock.

#5 4 years ago

I personally enjoy the 70’s & 80’s, pop rock. I’ve got Mungo Jerry and Toto 45’s and some Zeppelin as well. I have pretty much every Beach Boys single ever, some Beatles. The only other stuff I’d want is heavy metal. If you’ve got some White Snake, Megadeth/Metallica, Twisted Sister and any hair metal. That’s what *I’d* like but not sure what folks are collecting. R&B and the blues has been pretty hot from what I hear

#6 4 years ago

The later years (late 80s' - early 90's) just don't sound very good or full, but the older 50's - 60's sound great with a mono stylus and needle.

#7 4 years ago

If I’m not mistaken, 45’s by RCA, Warner Bros., CBS, Capitol were phased out by the mid 80’s. Those were the major 4 back then with MCA being bought out.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The later years (late 80s' - early 90's) just don't sound very good or full

I'd agree with this, having a pretty large selection of stuff for my RO470, however... I'm just more in to 80's. Get past what was 'oldies' when I was a kid (Think about what was on the oldies radio stations in 1987...), and I just don't recognize 80% of the stuff I even have right now. It might sound 'better', quantitatively, but if I don't want to listen to it at any quality (looking at you, country music), then it doesn't really matter.

The few Metallica singles I see on ebay are crazy expensive. Like...I might as well go buy a MP3 interface for my box, because it would cost the same as getting the available music.

#9 4 years ago

About 30 years ago, I went to an auction where the op had roughly 100,000 45’s to get rid of. Bought 6000 of them for $150. Kept about 2000 of them for the jukebox.

#11 4 years ago

There are periodic record shows in the Lancaster area, and one of the world's largest is in Allentown. PM me if you're thinking about being a vendor at a record show.
    .................David Marston

#12 4 years ago

I love getting the colored vinyl.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Picked this one up a couple days ago.

20190824_175147 (resized).jpg20190824_175147 (resized).jpg
    #14 4 years ago

We have big island wide yard sales. A gal showed up and paid $20 for my old Iron Maiden picture disk years ago. They do go for more online.

....than would have looked nice displayed by the pin.

iron-maiden-piece-of-mind (resized).jpgiron-maiden-piece-of-mind (resized).jpg

#15 4 years ago

Boy does this make me feel old. My favorite genre on my jukeboxes is old surf instrumentals. Dick Dale, Surfaris stuff like that. I also love old theme songs by the Ventures,Billy Strange etc.

#16 4 years ago

I worked for an Operator for years and one of my jobs was ordering music for the Jukeboxes. In the mid-90’s, there were some interesting 45’s released on the Cema “for jukeboxes only” label that can be rare and worth more than your average 45. I eventually acquired the entire lot of about 12,000 records, picked thru them, pitched some (nobody needs a dozen copies of rhinestone cowboy) and donated the rest to a local non-profit radio station.

Unfortunately, 45’s are headed in the same direction as 78’s. The people who enjoyed them are slowly dying off.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I worked for an Operator for years and one of my jobs was ordering music for the Jukeboxes. In the mid-90’s, there were some interesting 45’s released on the Cema “for jukeboxes only” label that can be rare and worth more than your average 45. I eventually acquired the entire lot of about 12,000 records, picked thru them, pitched some (nobody needs a dozen copies of rhinestone cowboy) and donated the rest to a local non-profit radio station.
    Unfortunately, 45’s are headed in the same direction as 78’s. The people who enjoyed them are slowly dying off.

Whoa there, partner! I have hundreds of 78’s and I enjoy them most of all in my collection! They’re magical and teleport you to a time before the Titanic sunk! Before the Great War!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Found this the other day in a bundle of 45s I picked up at a yard sale
    20190824_230909.jpg20190824_230909.jpg20190824_230933.jpg20190824_230933.jpg

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Whoa there, partner! I have hundreds of 78’s and I enjoy them most of all in my collection! They’re magical and teleport you to a time before the Titanic sunk! Before the Great War!

Sorry to break the news! I’ve got a bunch of 78’s and a wind up Columbia Graphonola that are fun to listen to. Some of the records are local and one of a kind back when anyone could make a Record. Unfortunately, they’re not worth as much as they used to be a few years ago.

The OP is basically hoping to squeeze the most $$ out of his record collection as he can. I think the best way is sell them on discogs or MusicStack, but that takes time. The other options are sell them in bulk to a collector or donate them and get the tax write off.

At least we’re not invested in Antique Tractors!

#20 4 years ago

Basically what I am looking to do is group records up into lots of 100 and sell them "fairly cheap". I found lots of 100 45's with sleeves on them fit nicely into an 8x8x8 box. My plan is to box them by genre (not a perfect sort but basically likes with likes) then offer them for like $20 or $25 a hundred.

This has worked well for me in the past so I figured I would do it this way again. But years ago I found old country was hard to sell at any price and 80's rock sold very well. Not I am just trying to figure out do I price something like funk & disco cheaper or higher than something like R&B/Blues mix? I think 80's stuff should still do well but I don't know about the 60's & 70's rock these days?

Anyway - mainly just looking to get these to someone who will enjoy them - not all that much about money more about space at this point in life.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Basically what I am looking to do is group records up into lots of 100 and sell them "fairly cheap". I found lots of 100 45's with sleeves on them fit nicely into an 8x8x8 box. My plan is to box them by genre (not a perfect sort but basically likes with likes) then offer them for like $20 or $25 a hundred.
    This has worked well for me in the past so I figured I would do it this way again. But years ago I found old country was hard to sell at any price and 80's rock sold very well. Not I am just trying to figure out do I price something like funk & disco cheaper or higher than something like R&B/Blues mix? I think 80's stuff should still do well but I don't know about the 60's & 70's rock these days?
    Anyway - mainly just looking to get these to someone who will enjoy them - not all that much about money more about space at this point in life.

If you've got any colored vinyl, I'd buy a lot from you of those, or cool classic rock or hip hop albums.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I am an old fart and still like my classic rock, oldies, and some country music in our Jukeboxes but I am getting ready to sell off a few thousand records and I am just curious what is hot these days as far as 45 RPM records go. I have been "out of the loop" for years as far as what is selling and what isn't. I know "classic country" has always been a tough sell (1940's to 1960's stuff) but beyond that I don't have a clue.
    THANKS!

Hi Skip, I'd be interested in a box as you describe, just let me know when a box is available.
    I'd be up for any 'hillbilly country', classic '60s and '70s rock and very late 50s or early '60s doo-wop/street style.

FYI, Lloyd at Coin-Op had been amassing a large collection of vinyl but now I see on FB he's downsizing maybe (??).
    You may want to reach-out to him for the lot, just a thought.

Thanks!
    Tod.

#23 4 years ago

Yeah, I'd be interested at that price too, for sure.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

Hi Skip, I'd be interested in a box as you describe, just let me know when a box is available.
    I'd be up for any 'hillbilly country', classic '60s and '70s rock and very late 50s or early '60s doo-wop/street style.
    FYI, Lloyd at Coin-Op had been amassing a large collection of vinyl but now I see on FB he's downsizing maybe (??).
    You may want to reach-out to him for the lot, just a thought.
    Thanks!
    Tod.

Tod,

Years ago I was buying records from Lloyd then he started getting crazy with his prices. I never really thought about selling to him but that could work if I decide to sell in bulk. But in some ways I would rather try to get these to people who would enjoy them instead of selling them to Lloyd just for him to profit from them.

#25 4 years ago

I will buy any and all of your Ramones records . I want to be sedated . It is almost 4:30 and I need a nap .....

#26 4 years ago

i got a box of about 500 45's mostly 50's 60's and some early 70's if any one local wants them 100 bucks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-genres-are-hot-these-days-with-45-rpm-records- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.