6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14960885803662044293815 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Would this 16 gauge wire be a decent choice to replace some scarry bad wires on a flipper coil.I know it would work so I can get the flipper going but is it what I would want permanently? Ideally I would like to replace a bunch of old wires and bad solders.

14960885803662044293815 (resized).jpg14960885803662044293815 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

No, it's too thick. What game is this for?

Typically, 18 gauge wire is used for anything carrying current, and 20 or 22 for switches. I typically get spools of stranded wire from jameco. They carry various solid colors and gauges.

#3 6 years ago

It's going to be used on a Bally Black Belt.I'll order some 18 from Jameco.ty.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, it's too thick. What game is this for?
    Typically, 18 gauge wire is used for anything carrying current, and 20 or 22 for switches. I typically get spools of stranded wire from jameco. They carry various solid colors and gauges.

Just curious what would happen if he used the wire that is too thick? Would performance be decreases or something of the like?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

Just curious what would happen if he used the wire that is too thick? Would performance be decreases or something of the like?

There is a very slight increase in resistance, but that's negligible.

The major factor is the physical size of the wire and bundle of strands. They won't fit in the hole in the lug of the coil--strands will be left loose outside of the hole, which can be bad if they short on something else or break off and fall somewhere.

Also, if you're splicing two wires together, it's a little more difficult to get a secure joint since the sizes are mismatched.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is a very slight increase in resistance, but that's negligible.
    The major factor is the physical size of the wire and bundle of strands. They won't fit in the hole in the lug of the coil--strands will be left loose outside of the hole, which can be bad if they short on something else or break off and fall somewhere.
    Also, if you're splicing two wires together, it's a little more difficult to get a secure joint since the sizes are mismatched.

Actually the resistance will drop and it would be super effective if it was not for everything else ForceFlow said that is right. The usability becomes a factor. If copper was infinitely cheap and people put connectors on wires and components it would be awesome.

#8 6 years ago

Oops, you're right.

larger wire diameter = smaller gauge #, lower resistance, higher current capacity

#9 6 years ago

Regardless speaker wire looks & feels tacky used for non speaker uses... but thats just me being OCD.... the thought of seeing it under a playfield just makes me itch.

#10 6 years ago

Ya speaker wire has no place in pinball electronics. Looks terrible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-gauge-wire-under-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.