(Topic ID: 181148)

What games would you rent?

By V8haha

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

give me your top 5 pins you would consider renting on a monthly basis in your home.

would they be newer sterns?
    williams bally?
    maybe wana try one of the sega DE games?
    gottlieb?

maybe a game you would like to try without having to actually outright buy it.

ill give you my top 5

ghostbusters
    Batman dark night
    Spiderman
    Transformers
    X men

i know i can play these on route but condition and quality of play are always low plus when you don't have to put quarters in its easy to figure out how a game plays

#2 7 years ago

Interesting thought . I might rent MM if one was local, just to relieve the desire to play it once more . TOM is another one . Kind of wonder if someone would pay $200 for one month rental of a game they wanted to spend time on. For an owner of a game , that would yield $2400 a year if it stayed rented full time . Would cover the cost of a game in 2 years , if you could keep it from being stolen

#3 7 years ago

Rent-A-Center or Arron's "rents to own" you the TV, fridge or whatever for 3x the retail price.

So if you rented a $5,000 pin, that would be an affordable $72 a week for 4 years.....and you keep it at the end.

#4 7 years ago

I'd rent Dialed In, Monster Bash, Fathom, Congo, Indiana Jones, TWD, GOT and others...

#5 7 years ago

If it flies, floats, fcuks or has wheels; rent it.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Rent-A-Center or Arron's "rents to own" you the TV, fridge or whatever for 3x the retail price.
    So if you rented a $5,000 pin, that would be an affordable $72 a week for 4 years.....and you keep it at the end.

That's such a rip off! And those places totally feed off the lower class. Well, so do credit card companies and such, but they're even worse in my eyes.

I'd rent a Hobbit in a heartbeat if I could. Or, sky's the limit... a Pinball Circus!

#7 7 years ago

Oh man, I'd love to rent an 80s solid state.

#8 7 years ago

I'd enjoy renting some rarer games which I'm unlikely to ever see or play:
    Big Bang Bar, King Kong, Cactus Canyon and Kingpin come to mind.

#9 7 years ago

This would be an awesome service for people who can't afford to actually buy a pin, I'd totally save up to rent a pin for a couple weeks.

#10 7 years ago

My pinball "enabler" and fellow pinsider mminnoch talked about (t)his idea way back when I was starting out as a pinball owner, about 5 tears ago. We would buy a bunch of machines of various vintages and have a private "route" where we would deliver you a different machine every however many months depending on your "subscription." We would also do one-offs like parties and suchlike, bringing a set number of machines for a set number of hours for a set price.

Alas... we were ahead of our time and all talk.

#11 7 years ago

I currently rent my machines out to a guy for his home. 75 a month. And he can pick from whatever I currently have in my collection.

Id also be willing to do party rentals, but haven't had requests yet.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

I currently rent my machines out to a guy for his home. 75 a month. And he can pick from whatever I currently have in my collection.
    Id also be willing to do party rentals, but haven't had requests yet.

I would 100% do this. It could be like netflix for pinball.

#13 7 years ago

I would love to see this but would hate to run it.

#14 7 years ago

Probably:

GB
    DI
    WOZ
    BM66
    TZ
    Banzaii Run

etc etc machines I cant afford

#15 7 years ago

I'd like to rent a LOTR for a couple of months. Any one in Denver want to rent one to me?

#16 7 years ago

I would personally rent a mm or mmr a monster bash and or a tron. All three would be great games for me to NOT buy but play the shit out of.

#17 7 years ago

there are a few places that rent games for short term, like events and such. i know pinballz in austin does, not sure if they rent monthly. I feel like i have seen someone local, maybe them, renting games on a monthly basis for the low low price of $400 per month

#18 7 years ago

I think I may have put one and two together. Are you the guy on Denver CL advertising to rent pinball machines for $250 month? You also started a thread about wanting to spend $50k on a collection and then never returned to the thread to discuss? What is going on here? Renting Pinballs?

#19 7 years ago

Just because we are all talking here it just seems like renting pinball as an owner of the actual business is a large potential pain in the ass.

I would love to do it but it does not seem profitable, also seems incredibly laborious.

#20 7 years ago

Interesting. OP wants to rent $50,000 worth of games out for $250 per month. His earlier thread said he was interested in newer games. Let's say he gets a good deal and gets 15 games, that's $45k per year in rental fees. Maybe after all labor and part expenses he makes a little profit after 2 years. Maybe during year 3 he gets more games and brings in $50k in profit. If he built up his collection to where he could make $75k in profit, he would have to have a couple dozen people in the Denver area willing to pay $250 per month, I don't think that is likely. Not worth it OP, turn back now

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I think I may have put one and two together. Are you the guy on Denver CL advertising to rent pinball machines for $250 month? You also started a thread about wanting to spend $50k on a collection and then never returned to the thread to discuss? What is going on here? Renting Pinballs?

Yep. I wouldn't hold my breath on him returning to respond to this thread either. Regardless, this seems like it would be a real pain in the ass. Moving them around would be difficult enough, not to mention servicing them. I'm not sure who could afford renting a pinball for $250 per month that couldn't just spend that on routed games or buy pins and then resell them later, possibly working their way up a few hundred dollars at a time to more expensive pins.

#22 7 years ago

I would rent my Harlem Globetrotters but... I already own it.

#23 7 years ago

I'm not quite sure what my price point would be (it's lower then $250 per month), but if there was someone locally that would rent out high end games; I'd consider filling one of the spots in my lineup with a rental. Commit to a year and have the ability to swap them out every so often. Perhaps if you really don't like a game you can pay an extra fee to swap it out earlier.

I wouldn't mind renting: TBL, WOZ, DI, CC, TOM, MET, LOTR, IJ, AC/DC, GB, CV, TRON, etc.

#24 7 years ago

Not a great plan. Insurance rates would be sky high.

Also, do you leave the keys in case of stuck balls, etc? Good luck keeping people from trying to 'fix' things for you, or swapping out boards.

And have fun doing all the house calls to fix and replace stuff... like now, not when you feel like it.

Good luck!

#25 7 years ago

I think you'd be better off doing special events.

#26 7 years ago

Yes the idea has crossed my mind.

What price point would you guys rent games for?

At 5K a game for the titles you would like to rent the rental fee has to be high enough to make it worth while

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

Yes the idea has crossed my mind.
    What price point would you guys rent games for?
    At 5K a game for the titles you would like to rent the rental fee has to be high enough to make it worth while

I just think that even at $200 you won't have people renting more than 2 months at a time, so a lot of finding new customers, just not feasible with the market. Let me know if you decide to go through with it though, I am a business/retail/e-commerce consultant.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-would-you-rent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.