(Topic ID: 156380)

What games were ruined by bad sound or music?

By PACMAN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

I like my TZ, but the music has gotten real old.

#52 8 years ago

NASCAR sounds - and overal sound quality - got to me after awhile. The pops "horns" (who honks their horn in a a race?), the redneck, the announcer (I guess he was the real NASCAR announcer, blech) and the music combined to be pretty bad. "Fake" Hagar was actually preferable to me than a majority of the other SFX.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I like my TZ, but the music has gotten real old.

You should check out the pinsound board you tube on TZ. It's really a neat upgrade on the sound

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So you like all the cracking and popping coming through your speakers because it was recorded with the levels way too high?? To each his own I guess, but I would much rather hear the great music and sounds in F-14 cleanly. I can understand keeping the speech a little muffled though.

I guess I haven't really noticed any popping or crackling at all. Maybe my sound isn't too high.

#55 8 years ago

Big reason I like FT is because of the music. TZ is also great. TAF is the one I would say the music is weak but it's still not bad as Roadshow. I like country music, Rudy in FH, and Lawlor pins up to that point. Gameplay has a lot going for it but it sure gets annoying with the 2 heads and music.

#56 8 years ago

TZ. Why Golden Earring?? Just because the group recorded a song Twilight Zone. The song doesn't fit the great theme.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not to mention the bell. God forbid you get 10x bonus.

What?? One of my favorite bonus countdowns. I love how deep into the bonus they continue to fold in unique audio. My best bonus countdown is 980,000, really enjoyed it!

#58 8 years ago

WPT:

The callouts made my ears bleed....

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What?? One of my favorite bonus countdowns. I love how deep into the bonus they continue to fold in unique audio. My best bonus countdown is 980,000, really enjoyed it!

I've had my bell disconnected since the day I got it. I do love the callout for 10x bonus though. When I have an Early Stern classic sitting next to Fire! With its amazing bonus countdown, Fire! Just doesn't compare for me, and having the bell on makes it worse. My best is just over 1,00,000. That was pretty sweet.

#60 8 years ago

Surprised no one has mentioned the Doctor Who Dalek noises which are *way* too loud compared to the other sounds & music in the game!

#61 8 years ago

I actually sold my first White Water because the music was so cheesy but I really missed the game so I got another one. It's in my top 5 favorite of all time now.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You wouldn't want to be in my basement. I've got the Hillbilly trio. WH2O, FT and WNBGM. I love all three of them. The music so fits the games!

#62 8 years ago

Speaking of disconnecting things and audio quality, I'm really not impressed with the removal of mechanical knockers and a simulated replacement. I've decided to add mechanical knockers back into my machines. If I don't wince from the knock, I feel short-changed of an adequate reward!

The odd thing is, some simulated knocks are better than others. The one in my T3 almost makes the cut, but LOTR is lacking. It might be due to different speakers I'm using though.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Speaking of disconnecting things and audio quality, I'm really not impressed with the removal of mechanical knockers and a simulated replacement. I've decided to add mechanical knockers back into my machines. If I don't wince from the knock, I feel short-changed of an adequate reward!
The odd thing is, some simulated knocks are better than others. The one in my T3 almost makes the cut, but LOTR is lacking. It might be due to different speakers I'm using though.

Totally agree. First person to make a kit for my GOT, gets my money.

#64 8 years ago

RBION is a great game, but that Idol is undoubtedly the most annoying sound in all of pinball. I literally sold the game for that reason alone. Add to the fact the opto was finicky, the Idol would just spew gibberish non-stop. It was brutal.

TFTC cackle and guillotine sounds get a nod for honorable mention.

#65 8 years ago

Jokerz

#66 8 years ago

TSPP has a particularly annoying soundtrack and terrible 8-bit sound quality. One of the biggest reasons I dislike that game.

#67 8 years ago

Nobody mentioned LW3? I like the game actually, but the audio is bad. "OK-OK-OK" and "What Leo wants. Leo Getz!" Music is decent but leaves me wanting better.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

RBION is a great game, but that Idol is undoubtedly the most annoying sound in all of pinball. I literally sold the game for that reason alone. Add to the fact the opto was finicky, the Idol would just spew gibberish non-stop.

Funny I like that little dude

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

F-14 has a great soundtrack, but it's recorded so horribly bad!

It's supposed to sound like you are listening to it through the cockpit headset.

Distorted and compressed like some real military shit.

#70 8 years ago

Yes to everyone who said Jokerz.

Personally, I wish Frankenstein had better music - you get to choose between incongruous classic rock and or badly rendered movie soundtrack. Rock vs. hard place.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Robocop (DE) doesn't have bad music at all. Batman (DE) isn't that bad either......the only game that sucks the big one for sound is Hook.

coc a doodle doo!!! Every time you hit the ramp. I avoid the ramp just so I don't have to hear it.

#72 8 years ago

LOL, there are a couple of solid state games that could use a better sound package but have good game play longevity in my collection. The one that stands out the most is Panthera. The sounds could have been so much better. Really? Tiki hut sounds with a lousy growl that sounds like a constipated bear in the woods.

Steve

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL, there are a couple of solid state games that could use a better sound package but have good game play longevity in my collection. The one that stands out the most is Panthera. The sounds could have been so much better. Really? Tiki hut sounds with a lousy growl that sounds like a constipated bear in the woods.
Steve

Someone should make a new multi-game soundcard (maybe play midi?) for those old classic games

#74 8 years ago

Excuse me ladies, RS has great sound and callouts! The Carter song is bad but it goes with the Hillbilly cheese vibe, i love it.

And I like the sound of the chips stacking on WPT.

#75 8 years ago

Demo Man. The music is so drab and the voice clips fail to capture much if any of the humor that made the movie at least somewhat interesting. I enjoy shooting the layout but the game overall just depresses me, and I think it's mainly the fault of the audio.

#76 8 years ago

For me it's "Elvis". The lack of Elvis songs with vocals is SO dissapointing. The generic sound ruins that game. Many of Elvis's best songs are missing too which is unacceptable. Really too bad, as it is a fun game otherwise. If Stern would release a VE with new sound on the level of AC/DC I would buy one.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Excuse me ladies, RS has great sound and callouts!

I second that. One of the reasons for me to get a RS definitely WAS the sound. I loved how they used the instrumental version of Carter's song for multiball and switched to the vocal version only after you made the jackpot. Also great SFX.
Good Times!

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's supposed to sound like you are listening to it through the cockpit headset.
Distorted and compressed like some real military shit.

Plausible, but still not a good enough excuse.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

All DE/Sega/stern white star has horrible sound quality. I think LOTR is an awesome game, but I can't play it due to the horrible audio quality, it ruins the game for me.
Axl

You really need to readjust your picky level
You can borrow my bose qc headset so you can enjoy the games then.

#80 8 years ago

I think Gottlieb really missed the mark on the sound quality on a lot of their System 80B games. Games like Robo-War and TX-Sector sound great, but I think they'd sound a heck of a lot better with a better sound chip. All of the soundtracks sound way too "tinny." I'd never say that they ruin the gameplay experience though.

Meanwhile, William's was busy cranking out some badass tunes with their Yamaha YM series FM sound chip--the very same derivative chip found in the Sega Genesis, arcade games, and Sound Blaster audio cards for early PCs. They just have a really rich sound compared to whatever Gottlieb decided to use at the time.

#81 8 years ago

Whitewater has terrible sounds and music. Sound makes me want to leak, music reminds me of some early 90's talk show.

Never been really fond of the game, the sound/music is one of the reasons.

Some of the games listed here I don't get at all. Fish Tales has AMAZING music. Same with F-14.

#82 8 years ago

No Fear

#83 8 years ago

TWD....

Until Milhouse and company here on Pinside blessed us with incredible cast call out custom code updates,

#84 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe ... it has some cyber space sound...
The good thing is that you can change the sound to 'chimes' and that's a lot better!

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You wouldn't want to be in my basement. I've got the Hillbilly trio. WH2O, FT and WNBGM. I love all three of them. The music so fits the games!

Go for the hillbilly quartet - get a Cue Ball Wizard.

#86 8 years ago

Gold Wings. Man, I hate the music on that pin.

#87 8 years ago

I never liked white water music.

#88 8 years ago

I change many sounds on my games after installing a pinsound board. Its so awesome I don't think I will ever get bored with a gamem or at least its sound (I have roadshow and changed it randomily play truckin & east bound and down). I think playing rocky is great in CP also.

#89 8 years ago

I'll play anything and enjoy it!
Crappy sound or call outs can't ruin my good time.

#90 8 years ago

You people "sound" so stupid

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

TFTC cackle and guillotine sounds get a nod for honorable mention.

Reduced in v.4.00.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

get a Cue Ball Wizard

Probably the worst voice call-outs in the history of mankind. Thanks for reminding me...

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Probably the worst voice call-outs in the history of mankind. Thanks for reminding me...

awww.. lemme guess... You put it down the side and they laughed at you.

It happens to everyone. I eventually got over it. You can too.

#94 8 years ago

Metallica. I used to like that band.... but not any more!

#95 8 years ago

Transporter The Rescue. The SOS Morse code attract sound just about drove me insane.

#96 8 years ago

Tspp, great game but I cabt take the hurry up music

#97 8 years ago

Breakshot...... The womens voice sounds worse than cats screwing.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

awww.. lemme guess... You put it down the side and they laughed at you.
It happens to everyone. I eventually got over it. You can too.

I have never played the game. Some guy used to play it constantly while I was working shopping machines at the PHOF and I got so sick of the calls to shoot the eight ball that I nearly puked. TSPP was the other that got on my nerves really fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-were-ruined-by-bad-sound-or-music/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.