(Topic ID: 156380)

What games were ruined by bad sound or music?

By PACMAN

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Is music/sound important to your game play experience?

Are there games you've passed on or sold because of it?

I've sold a few games that I really enjoy playing but couldn't stand listening to.

1. Fish Tales - blue grass, hillbilly or whatever it is was just too much
2. Road Show - not a country fan
3. Jungle Lord - constant repetitive pulsing made me anxious

#2 3 years ago

X Files comes to mind. It's not the sounds, it's the quality of the audio.

#3 3 years ago

I also sold roadshow due to music...

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I've sold a few games that I really enjoy playing but couldn't stand listening to.

Wow, blown away with this, I'm not a massive fan of FT, its a Ok game, The overall sound/music package is Awesome on FT, its a credit to the guys that developed this.

Even Bowen gives it a thumbs Up in the Tutorial

#5 3 years ago

Yeah sorry Roadshow...you win

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Wow, blown away with this,

Yeah there are a lot of people that hate FT audio...never bothered me and I thought it was universally loved till I cam to Pinside.

#8 3 years ago

Theater of magic gets pretty repetave.
I love the sound on iron man and spiderman, not so much the music but the noises thay make as I complete the shots, that kind of sound makes the game feel much more imersive to me.

#9 3 years ago

Guns n' Roses...not the music itself, but the crappy sound quality.

#10 3 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula has some very repetitive music & call outs. I don't think I'd like to own one.

#11 3 years ago

Every single Data East game. Terrible, terrible sound.

#12 3 years ago

Especially TFTC.

#13 3 years ago

Swords of fury..... .........April Fools

#14 3 years ago

most Sterns are so generic sounding to me

#15 3 years ago

Transporter the Rescue for me... I love the game and at first the S.O.S Morse code sounds good but after several games of it especially at the start of a new game it gets grating... nevertheless in spite of that I still like the game, theme, and the play (probably just lower the volume--permanently!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah there are a lot of people that hate FT audio...never bothered me and I thought it was universally loved till I cam to Pinside.

With Roadshow there is one country song in it and it's country pop even! All the other music isn't country at all. I guess it's the fact that that one song you get in the multiball continues after it's over?

In any case, most DE games fit the bill for terrible sound/music quality. Throw in BF for that awful "boing" riddler sound effect.

#17 3 years ago

F-14 has a great soundtrack, but it's recorded so horribly bad!

#20 3 years ago

Roller Coaster Tycoon - it's so sparse and what sound is there is annoying.
NASCAR - If I'm forced to play it, I actively avoid getting multiball just so I don't have to hear fake Sammy Hagar.

#21 3 years ago

Stargate.

I'm a big fan of the movie and tv shows. The sound is so terrible on this pin that I refuse to own one. Stargate (the movie) has such a great soundtrack, but none of the music made it to the pin.

There is hope though with pinball browser and other projects that allow music to be changed on pins that maybe someday Stargate's music can be changed. Then I'll buy one.

#22 3 years ago

A game that many can't stand the sound/music on - but whenever I hear "Heavy... Metal... Meltdown!!" - a little shower of joy runs over my soul.

#23 3 years ago

De? What about time machine?? The songs are damn catchy. Too bad the gameplay doesn't have much going on.

#24 3 years ago

Phantom of the Opera... I had to walk away the second time I heard the drain shriek when I encountered this pin for the first time at a show... "Next" was my immediate thought. Too many better options than be annoyed by that a third time, ha.

Haven't run into anyone that didn't like FT audio until this thread.... hhmm...

For X-Files and other Whitestar based systems the audio quality can be improved / noise reduced.

#25 3 years ago

White water

#26 3 years ago

Terminator 2 sounds always grated on me, loved the game just not the sounds. Thankfully the Pinsound boards fix that, now just need to find a T2 pin.

#27 3 years ago

Robocop (DE) doesn't have bad music at all. Batman (DE) isn't that bad either......the only game that sucks the big one for sound is Hook.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

constant repetitive pulsing made me anxious

Yeah, what pinball maker thought that heartbeat and pulses would be great sounds to have on a pinball? Like in Centaur or Gorgar, those sounds just grinds my nerves rather then make the game enjoyable..

#29 3 years ago

The sound on Dr. Who is by far the most annoying of any machine I've ever played!

#30 3 years ago

"shoot the pyramid!"
"shoot the pyramid!"
"shoot the pyramid!"
"shoot the pyramid!"
"shoot the pyramid!"

OYE!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Every single Data East game. Terrible, terrible sound.

Gotta disagree here brother. I played a MNF, and now I want one purely because of the sounds.

#32 3 years ago

Meteor. Such a fun player, but the sounds are the worst and do not do early stern any justice.

#33 3 years ago

Cousin It,Had to sell my TAF.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

F-14 has a great soundtrack, but it's recorded so horribly bad!

I respectfully disagree. I think F-14 is great the way it is and it screams 80s. I thoroughly enjoy getting the sounds stuck in my head and it makes me want to play another.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

The sound on Dr. Who is by far the most annoying of any machine I've ever played!

That's kinda why I love it. I love the daleks screaming. But if it was an only game I'd probably get annoyed with it really fast. I just wish the doctor audio sounded better, it sounds horribly garbled.

#36 3 years ago

Addams pop bumper hit call out is the most annoying sound to me. I can't stand it!!!!

#37 3 years ago

All DE/Sega/stern white star has horrible sound quality. I think LOTR is an awesome game, but I can't play it due to the horrible audio quality, it ruins the game for me.

Axl

#38 3 years ago

SHAQ ATTAQ.

#39 3 years ago

Seriously? Metallica? Music literally rocks on this machine and the sounds are crazy good.the sounds from fuel on this machine are some of the most engaging sounds in all of pinball and get my blood pumping. I strongly disagree, but hey to each their own.

#40 3 years ago

I was going to buy a RiverBoat Gambler... heard the music...had to walk

#41 3 years ago

Can't believe nobody said X-Men yet.. I wish someone would do TWD treatment on it..

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Can't believe nobody said X-Men yet.. I wish someone would do TWD treatment on it..

I like Xmen and TWD stock. Haha. This thread is interesting.

#43 3 years ago

I find the music in my Jokerz! fitting but so very annoying.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

I respectfully disagree. I think F-14 is great the way it is and it screams 80s. I thoroughly enjoy getting the sounds stuck in my head and it makes me want to play another.

So you like all the cracking and popping coming through your speakers because it was recorded with the levels way too high?? To each his own I guess, but I would much rather hear the great music and sounds in F-14 cleanly. I can understand keeping the speech a little muffled though.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

2. Road Show - not a country fan
3. Jungle Lord - constant repetitive pulsing made me anxious

You wouldn't want to be in my basement. I've got the Hillbilly trio. WH2O, FT and WNBGM. I love all three of them. The music so fits the games!

#46 3 years ago

Have to agree with most Sega games from the 90s. Music and sound quality was just atrocious. It sounded like they had a bad case of the cold and laryngitis.

Oh, and don't get me started on the flicking backglass GI sounds...

#47 3 years ago

If Breakshot didn't have such awful sound I might not be selling it. The callouts are just grating.

#48 3 years ago

Iám the ring master. bla bla bla.

#49 3 years ago

Fire grates on my nerves. That siren sound I have to walk away.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Fire grates on my nerves. That siren sound I have to walk away.

Not to mention the bell. God forbid you get 10x bonus.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside