(Topic ID: 44466)

What games have the worst pop-bumper action?

By nosro

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

This thread discussed which games have the best pop-bumper action: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-have-the-best-pop-bumper-action .

Which games have the worst? For this discussion, let's only include games that have at least three pop bumpers. There's no point picking on a game with a single pop bumper or no pop bumper.

#2 11 years ago

Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Can't think of one worse.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Tales of the Arabian Nights.
    Can't think of one worse.

Yep, thread over. Done.

#4 11 years ago

tommy

#5 11 years ago

Checkpoint. Those stupid ones that the plastic cover goes down, slow was hell.

#6 11 years ago

Pinball magic is a candidate... Very good game but should have gone with the original 3 bumper design instead of a single surrounded by rubbers.

#7 11 years ago

On Hurricane the pop bumpers only come into play after the ball is released from the lock and usually it barely hits them. F-14 has only the one and tends to be weak. But the worst hands down has to be Judge Dredd.

#8 11 years ago

Gotta go with Avatar on this.

#9 11 years ago

Sharkey's Shootout, they placed the scoop so it keeps falling in the scoop when the ball is in the pops.

#10 11 years ago

Junkyard and the Shadow. Practically no pop bumper action with either.

#11 11 years ago

In terms of action between the pops, ANY game where they are not adjusted right. Otherwise, I would probably agree with TOTAN.

#12 11 years ago

any game where they are enclosed, with only 1 exit. most of the newer sterns for example

#13 11 years ago

Tf. I love the game but when the ball goes into those bumpers I fall asleep

#14 11 years ago

ToM has got to be in the running, maybe not because the Jet Bumpers necessarily suck--hard to know--as most of the time the ball sails right thru that area without hitting anything!

#15 11 years ago

I actually thought PM had some good pops, sounded like a machine fun the way it was going off.
    I'd vote for JD and TS for obvious reasons.

#16 11 years ago

Tommy is terrible, I agree. But, most DE games have crap pops.

#17 11 years ago

No Fear....When I am playing one, I feel like the pop bumpers aren't even there

#18 11 years ago

Tron.. 1: the ball never stays in there long enough 2: it goes SDTM on a left loop shot.

#19 11 years ago

Hurricane by far...

Also top 3 hate games on my list.
    Hurricane + everything else with clowns.
    Junk yard.
    Shaq attaq, hate the trainers call outs...

#20 11 years ago

spectrum.

TOTAN does suck pretty bad, though i love the game.

maybe some of those weird late 80s gottliebs where they have the pop bumpers on the lower half around the sling shots? i had a deadly weapon that had a pop on the left with a weird scooped design, not sling shot.

wondering how the lower drain pop bumper in WOZ is going to work out. looks pretty useless, but maybe with some good code it would work out (whenever that happens).

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from kirklake13:

Tommy is terrible, I agree. But, most DE games have crap pops.

DE pops just take a little bit more adjustment to get working right when compared to B/W games. My GnR pops work just as well as my other games, but they did take more work to get there.

#22 11 years ago

Fire followed closely by swords of fury. Does not get much worse than not having any.

But I agree TOTAN is very crappy from a pop bumper perspective.

#24 11 years ago

TOTAN for sure. I love getting the harem sneak in though.

#25 11 years ago

I like DE games, but gawd damn there is something about their pop bumper action that tends to be really limp and dead compared to other games. Maybe it's just *MY* bad luck with the tables I've played. The weak action becomes really frustrating with games that have bumper based modes.

#26 11 years ago

Hmmmm, i think DE star wars got good pop action

#27 11 years ago

The two lower right one's on Future Spa.NGG are too tight.Taking both hands off the machine magically releases the ball from them.

Yes biased,but I like totan's.Can never consistently hit the left loop.When i do and get 6 or more pops,I'm satisfied,the ball quickly mostly returns to the right flipper and the flow continues.

Love the sound effects and animations in the Roc's mode.

#28 11 years ago

Something about how The pops on Rocky and Bullwinkle are positioned make them quite useless.

If the ball drops into the bumper area via the center lane, it'll generally not hit a single pop, and just roll right straight through.

If it rolls through the other two lanes, chances are pretty good that it'll hit one pop, and be deflected out on a trajectory totally missing the other pops. It's very rare to have the ball sit up in there and bounce between them.

And about the only time you'll get the chance to enter the pop pit is at ball launch. Due to how the gates surrounding the lanes work, they're generally always open so shots tend to orbit rather than drop through the lanes. And through the lanes is the only path to get to the pop bumpers.

So, even when adjusted correctly, R&B pops are pretty poor.

#29 11 years ago

I'll add on of the newer games in this list, Avengers. I have tried multiple modifications to get the ball to stay in the pops longer and have had little luck. Occasionally it will stay there for a little while but not nearly long enough, usually takes multiple(5+) times in there to complete the Captain America mode which is a little much in my opinion.

I'll 2nd the Pinball Magic one as well, so hard to get them in the pops and even when I did was out almost instantly

#30 11 years ago

As a General Comment - though this does not exactly answer the question -

I like to SEE the ball - and I have never been particularly fond of how most modern games "bury" the pop bumpers in a location with obstructed (or even worse NO) visibility.

Having said that, I do love ramps etc and all the rest of it in the modern games - and due to space limitations etc on the playfield, this became conventional in modern games.

I THINK my view comes from having grown up as a child in the early/late 1970s - the "late EM era" - and the Pop Bumpers were always the most "visually exciting" part of the game - an aspect I enjoy to this day.

#31 11 years ago

TOTAN for sure.
    I remember a quote it's like throwing a hotdog down the hallway. lol

A properly adjusted breakshot will keep the ball in the pops going crazy long enough to go outside and take a smoke break before it exits the area. Kind of boring but really increase your bonus lanes.

I agree with Pinball Magic, too.
    D

#32 11 years ago

TOTAN gets my vote for sure. Such a beautiful game, but the pops were just one of the many reasons that game didn't last long here.

Some others that aren't thought of much, but have pretty lackluster pop action: Mystery Castle, Pistol Poker, Metal Man, and Mach 2.

Post edited by MattElder : Fixed a typo...

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Yeah, PM can have horrible pop action, but if dialed in just right it'll go on forever if that slingshot up there is also perfect.

#34 11 years ago

Any Atari with microswitch pops.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

ToM has got to be in the running, maybe not because the Jet Bumpers necessarily suck--hard to know--as most of the time the ball sails right thru that area without hitting anything!

I have to agree. It's hit and miss with the Jet Bumpers. Mostly miss.
    Although I have had it happen when your supposed to be hitting the trunk for the THEATRE jackpot and the ball is slammin around in the bumpers and the ball doesn't get down in time to hit the jackpot! Very frustrating!

#36 11 years ago

I love TZ but not it's pops.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

TOTAN for sure.
    I remember a quote it's like throwing a hotdog down the hallway. lol
    A properly adjusted breakshot will keep the ball in the pops going crazy long enough to go outside and take a smoke break before it exits the area. Kind of boring but really increase your bonus lanes.
    D

Who says TOTAN has no bumper action

Check This Out:

#38 11 years ago

If by worst you mean WEAK, MM is super weak! How the hell does avatar have the worst pop bumper action? It's pretty lively on that game.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Who says TOTAN has no bumper action

Check This Out:

Ha, good stuff! My Mephisto does that all the time with the upper right pop, and I have to intentionally shake the ball loose.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Once you pick on ToM, is the vaunted Medieval Madness far behind?

#41 11 years ago

Any game where the switches are not adjusted properly.

#42 11 years ago

tommy

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

On Hurricane the pop bumpers only come into play after the ball is released from the lock and usually it barely hits them....

Maybe it is set-up, but I find I get a big variance - half the time, I get two hits, but the other half, I get more than ten hits.

My bigger gripe is that it is somewhat pointless - it's just an extra step between the pop-out and the rest of the playfield. One way into the pop bumpers and one way out and one can't specifically shoot for the pop bumpers.

What other games have this kind of irrelevance to the pop bumpers?

#44 11 years ago

Sadly, I must agree TotAN has horrible pop action. I always dreaded playing the Sinbad and the Rocs because most of the time the ball would never hit a pop when it got back there... it would just orbit around past them. There were many a game where I didn't make it to genie battle because of that issue

#45 11 years ago

I don't like the obscured pops on Batman Forever or the slow hidden drain from them out the left side.

#46 11 years ago

nobody has said black knight!

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from kidpinballwizard:

nobody has said black knight!

The original post proposed to leave out games with less than 3 pop bumpers.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

junkyard and The Shadow. Practically no pop bumper action with either.

I agree owning both JY and TS, but I think my champion pub is just as bad.

#49 10 years ago

How about SS? Have it, love it, but you can't directly shoot to them. Also, why is there a rollover above the top pop bumper if the ball can't get to it? What am I missing?

#50 10 years ago

whitewater w/o the ring in the pops off.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-have-the-worst-pop-bumper-action and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.