Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I have plans to buy several pins in the next 6 months and a few of the ones on my list are old Bally/Williams machines. I like games in great condition and don’t want to overpay for something when it may be remade “like new” for a much more reasonable price. I understand this may have been addressed but a search for “Chicago Gaming” didn’t seem to give me any relevant results.

Games on my list include that are of concern include IJ, TZ, and TOTAN among others.
    I guess my question is best phrased like this. Are there any pinside top 20 classics that will not get remade or are very unlikely to be remade?

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfrazie:

I have plans to buy several pins in the next 6 months and a few of the ones on my list are old Bally/Williams machines. I like games in great condition and don’t want to overpay for something when it may be remade “like new” for a much more reasonable price. I understand this may have been addressed but a search for “Chicago Gaming” didn’t seem to give me any relevant results.
    Games on my list include that are of concern include IJ, TZ, and TOTAN among others.
    I guess my question is best phrased like this. Are there any pinside top 20 classics that will not get remade or are very unlikely to be remade?

They can remake any of those titles. Sorry.

Smartest thing to do is probably never buy any pinball machines.

#3 4 years ago

If there’s money in it then they’ll get remade....all of them.

That said - licensing factors into the “money in it” equation. There is money and risk to lay out to remake any pin, but if you have to pay licensing fees to someone else on top of that cuts into the profit equation. That is of course if the license holder even wants to do a deal.

Who knows what that means for something like IJ. IJ was Fox wasn’t it....which is now Disney?

Long and short - unlicensed pins don’t have the delicensing complexity

So TOTAN is unlicensed while both TZ and IJ are.

Lots of pins out there to buy. Buy the fun ones YOU enjoy playing and don’t over analyze. There are better investments to be made if you actually looking to make money.

I’m no expert but I think Chicago would work on unlicensed and work their way down the list.

#4 4 years ago

Just buy the games you want and dont worry about what could be remade.
    You can get decent examples of most W/B titles and not get too close to the price of a CE remake +tax & shipping
    One exception CC.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfrazie:

I, too, am hesitant to pay big bucks for un-restored pins that may be remade soon. With few exceptions, I'm avoiding the $5k-$6k+ range and focusing more on the $2k-$4k range right now. Lots of gems in that lower range that almost certainly will not be remade.

Count me in for the following remakes:

IJ, Addams and Cactus for sure. Possibly Stiff and Cirqus.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Just buy the games you want and dont worry about what could be remade.
    You can get decent examples of most W/B titles and not get too close to the price of a CE remake +tax & shipping
    One exception CC.

No one but CGC knows exactly what pins they will remake and that’s also subject to change. Game number 4 will be out soon and it’s rumored to be Catcus Canyon- That has not even been officially announced, they also plan to remake additional titles and even perhaps create their own new IP or theme.

Buy the games that make you happy. Don’t worry about what may or may not be remade.

#7 4 years ago

IJ will be remade. I've only seen 1 on location in the last few years, none at Pintastic or big venues. 12k made, where are they?

#8 4 years ago

Into private hands, that’s where. Good luck finding an IJ that’s not beat to hell for less than 7.5k. It will be the furthest out for repro because of licensing costs.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wise ass (funny though ).

Truth be told....most of us expect Cactus Canyon to be next.
    Laundry list of people who have never had that, and sales would be excellent if the build quality matches MM, AFM, and MB.

Rumors too suggesting Theater of Magic and/or Capcom's BBB as possibilities too, but CC makes the most sense.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks to most of you. I appreciate the response. I wasn’t sure if the games were remade on a per game basis or if they had bought the rights to all of the machines made by one company.
    Thanks again.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

IJ, Addams and Cactus for sure.

me too..I'm in.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfrazie:

Thanks to most of you. I appreciate the response. I wasn’t sure if the games were remade on a per game basis or if they had bought the rights to all of the machines made by one company.
    Thanks again.

They have the B/W rights (thru Planetary Pinball) but no non original theme licensing rights transferred with that as far as I know.

#13 4 years ago

CGC proved with MB that remaking licenced games is very possible. That being said, some of the other licenses (TAF and IJ for example) will likely cost a lot more and potentially harder to get.

#14 4 years ago

We had 2 williams Indy’s on location up until recently and they have both been replaced with new stern LEs. They also seemed to be a little problematic and that’s possibly why they were changed out. I owned an Indy and would definitely love to buy a remake with larger screen and updated lighting!

#15 4 years ago

Chicago Gaming will not make any games in the future

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Why do you say this?

#17 4 years ago

I keep hearing CC but it better be continued. Itd be in on that.

#18 4 years ago

CC is not all that. I'd be surprised if it sold as well as the previous 3.

#19 4 years ago

I would say look at the bally/williams top 10-15 pins and know it could be any of them. Just get what you want now, you could wait years for certain titles to get remade.

#20 4 years ago

Sure they will, they aren't Homepin.

Quoted from chad:

Why do you say this?

Sour grapes after putting money down on a dud horse.

#21 4 years ago

Cactus Canyon is a kind of a status turd item. I think CGC is making a huge mistake doing that game instead of IJ or TAF. 20,000 TAFs and hard to acquire one that is isnt grossly over priced and/or hammered to shit. IJ is also hard to acquire. Both games are way more fun to play that CC.

#22 4 years ago

Cactus Canyon doesn't do much for me. I'm hoping to see Creature from the Black Lagoon some day!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Cactus Canyon is a kind of a status turd item. I think CGC is making a huge mistake doing that game instead of IJ or TAF. 20,000 TAFs and hard to acquire one that is isnt grossly over priced and/or hammered to shit. IJ is also hard to acquire. Both games are way more fun to play that CC.

I think CGC will make a mistake with game #4....and to turn things around they may have to make TAF for #5, because it will do well.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Sure they will, they aren't Homepin.

Sour grapes after putting money down on a dud horse.

..or Chicago gaming has made no games, Stern makes the games

#25 4 years ago

.or Chicago gaming has made no games, Stern makes the games

Stern made the first MMR's. Haven't made anything for CGC since. CGC has their own assembly line and people. And already makes all cabinets and playfields.

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

CGC proved with MB that remaking licenced games is very possible.

It was easy because they only needed one license from Universal. Titles like TAF, TZ, and IJ require a lot more.

Quoted from ShinyBall:

I think CGC will make a mistake with game #4.

My own opinion. No, they won't. People will go holy f*ck and kill themselves in the rush to order.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Stern made the first MMR's. Haven't made anything for CGC since. CGC has their own assembly line and people. And already makes all cabinets and playfields.

It was easy because they only needed one license from Universal. Titles like TAF, TZ, and IJ require a lot more.

My own opinion. No, they won't. People will go holy f*ck and kill themselves in the rush to order.

I am probably more excited for anything CGC puts out than Stern or JJP right now. I think AFM and MB were grand slam hits. (I own both, 6 sterns, and currently have 1 JJP pin although used to have a 2nd)

#27 4 years ago

..or Chicago gaming has made no games, Stern makes the games

Not since game one.

CGC are already well into title three with four just around the corner whilst the startup you once told me was going to change pinball manufacturing is struggling to shift game one.

#28 4 years ago

It's not like games are flying out of cgc. I was really excited about MBrLE but I ended up getting something else when it was delayed like 4 months. Even if cgc announced a game I want today, I don't know if that would stop me from buying a previous version because you never know when you're going to get it. I'm alive today. 6 or 12 months from now? Who knows...

#29 4 years ago

I am very impressed with the build quality and execution of the games that cgc is putting out right now. Although I typically don't buy nib pins, I am watching this builder very closely. I heard they are putting out more MM in August, but would only really be interested in a ce level game. I doubt they would go to the trouble of doing another run at lower prices.

#30 4 years ago

It’s been said by pps that there will be 7 pins that are planned including the 3 already done. What games 4 thru 7 are is up in the air and speculation at this point.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lloyd, any idea on when the next title we be announced?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Lloyd, any idea on when the next title we be announced?

No idea. I would guess Expo. But things can happen. Maybe sooner. Maybe later.

I'm excited to see it too.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No idea. I would guess Expo. But things can happen. Maybe sooner. Maybe later.
    I'm excited to see it too.

Looking forward to another quality game. The Australian MBr's are due this week!

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I finally had a chance to play a Cactus Canyon today (at Flippers in Grandy NC). I definitely agree with this statement now, the game itself was fine, but I wouldn't consider it anywhere even close to as good as AFM, MB, or MM.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

So they are making MMRR with same build/boards design as AFMR and MBR with XL display? I'm in!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

So they are making MMRR with same build/boards design as AFMR and MBR with XL display?

No.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Stop making sense.

#38 4 years ago

TZ,IJ,AF will never be remade !

#39 4 years ago

MMR CE edition is coming !
    And they will sell 500-1000 of those
    Just my prediction

#40 4 years ago

Still waiting for them to remake Fathom.

#41 4 years ago

If you go based on the Top 100 list, next in line is TOTAN. The top 14 can't or won't be made for various reasons and TOTAN is the best table that can be:

1. Medieval Madness - already done!
    2. Attack from Mars - already done!
    3. Monster Bash - already done!
    4. Twilight Zone - licensing.
    5. Lord of the Rings - licensing.
    6. Iron Maiden - new table.
    7. Pirates of the Caribbean - new table.
    8. Metallica - new table.
    9. Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure - licensing.
    10. AC/DC - new table.
    11. The Addams Family - licensing.
    12. Star Trek - new table.
    13. Deadpool - new table.
    14. Star Trek: The Next Generation - licensing.

15. Tales of the Arabian Nights - let's go!!

#42 4 years ago

I'd expect CC, TOTAN, TOM, and SS.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I'd expect CC, TOTAN, TOM, and SS.

Pretty much my list but in a different order.
    CC first, then TOM, then TOTAN and SS will probably get skipped if Stern does make the third Elvira game that's been rumored.

Unless of course they make BBB. But I figured they would probably license that out to the guys making Kingpin if they can get that game produced.

#44 4 years ago

I owned an all-brassed out TOTAN about 5 years ago. Yes, it was very fun...but only for a while. It is not very deep and doesn't have longevity going for it in my opinion. I own all three remakes and will very likely be in for number 4. They do great on route with little to no problems. I finally pulled MMR due to poor performance and some technical issues but AFM has been on route for 1.5 years and I don't think it has needed anything done to it! I'm a believer in CGC quality.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I disagree.
    I think it will be way easier to remake titles that doesn't requires any licensing.
    Of the ones mentioned, i think totan is mostlikely to be remade.
    Just look at cgc track record. Zero titles that would/should requires any heavy fiddling with licensing.
    I think their next will be cc and then hopefully followed up with a totan. Bbb is clearly out, since it's so sexualized, and doesn"t fit a 2020 market.

Ed: red the whole thing, realizing im not even second or third pointing out the obvious with licensing.
    Sorry.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I owned an all-brassed out TOTAN about 5 years ago. Yes, it was very fun...but only for a while. It is not very deep and doesn't have longevity going for it in my opinion. I own all three remakes and will very likely be in for number 4. They do great on route with little to no problems. I finally pulled MMR due to poor performance and some technical issues but AFM has been on route for 1.5 years and I don't think it has needed anything done to it! I'm a believer in CGC quality.

As an owner, what is your view on cgc rewamping with new code and/or lcd screens in JJP fashion?

#47 4 years ago

How about a run of Gottlieb Spirit?

#48 4 years ago

would love a TOTAN!!!! hopefully they go all out and make a brass premium version. such a pretty pin.

#49 4 years ago

For some reason, CGC seems very intent on producing TOMr. CGC not being sure how well it would sell is probably why it might not be #4 but it was a priority for them, that was easy to gleam from Planetary Pinball's past comments.

#50 4 years ago

It really sounds like you are going to buy 3 machines in the next 6 months. So, you may not realize that when a remake is "announced", it can be 1-2 years before you have the game in your home. And other times, it may never happen at all.

If you want 3 new games in the next 6 months, just buy what is out there right now. Overpaying for something is the least of your worries if you are going to drop 20K on 3 new games.

Top 20 classics? I don't know what this means.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-can-chicago-gaming-remake?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.