Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jpolfer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 9 years ago

The new rules, given what I've read here, will affect tournaments and environments that have tough time- and machine-constraints, since tournaments are highly valued based on greater number of games played. Those are both things that I deal with quite a bit on a monthly basis. It would also majorly devalue a semi-major tournament like the Chicago-area Launch Parties where you can achieve first place in as little as two games played.

I understand the motivation behind it, but it may negatively affect some of the smaller and newer pinball communities that don't have real great operator support or collector support.

#122 9 years ago

Quick question: could a tournament be graded *above* 100% based on number of games played by the winner of 1st place?

1 week later
    #214 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

For those on the bubble they will need to be prepared up until the end anyway, as there are often other reasons besides multiple-state qualifying leading to reasons why a player can't attend the State Championship. Looks like last year Wisconsin went down to 28th place in the standings to fill 16 spots, and I see a bunch of names above that where Wisconsin was the only state that player qualified in . . . and they still didn't attend.

I don't think that will be the case this year. The number of players that know + care about IFPA ranking is much greater now.

#246 9 years ago
    Quoted from bitCurrier:

Also, I spend more than half of my time at these events trying to make sure to talk to everyone. Newcomers, the casual players, will be less inclined on returning if they don't feel welcome or they feel that they are just adding to the prize pool. Again, if you want more people to feel welcome,

Same here. That is so key. So much of a pinball tournament is hospitality and having the right conversations. That brings in the repeat new players.

Another side thought: I know most of us are guys here... one of the most valuable things I've found is having a female co-host (Michelle) for the Milwaukee tournaments. She and I, together, make a good team and I think it makes our tournaments much more fun and welcoming. I learned pretty quickly that if I invited/asked a lady to join us, she usually wouldn't join; but if Michelle did, they more often than not would join in. I consider myself to be a fairly positive and welcoming person, but there's some stuff that she can do that I just can't in the hospitality setting of the tournament.

The other thing we've found helpful was spinning up a ladies tournament night. A few more ladies have started coming to our co-ed IFPA tournaments as a result of the ladies league.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jpolfer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-are-used-for-tournaments?tu=jpolfer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.