Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago

Under 6 months left of 25+12.5 ... Enjoy it while you still can!

#32 9 years ago

Less points for smaller tournaments. Less points for lower quality tournament formats. No guaranteed base value of anything anymore.

No events will be combined/shared/split with any other event. Organizers can run as many events as they would like, at any location, anytime. Each will be judged on the format of the event and the players that participate.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Also had an amusing thought.....just how many points will Pinburgh be worth now?

The new max base value is 32 points, which is hit if a tournament has 64 or more players. (current proposal being evaluated)

The grading percentage for Pinburgh will be 100% . . . because it's awesome, so it will keep 100% of those base points in the calculation.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from frg:

Okay sounds fair - looking forward to the new ruleset.
    Tough job to define a bullet-proof and fair system. All the best!

Do you also provide templates, software or excel sheet (whatever) for the different tournament formats? This would be very helpful to be aligned with your expectations. I am also thinking about our league which began in March 14 and will end March 15... are there also new rules to follow?

Sorry - for all the questions... is this here the right spot/time to ask them?

Here is as good a place as any to discuss. We are still testing things and plan on making an EPIC announcement on 10/1 as to what the changes officially include.

Leagues and tournaments will be graded in the same fashion. We don't currently have any templates available, as there are so many formats to choose from, and then variables within those formats that also have to be decided. The quality metric for grading is going to be based on the number of games played in order to win the tournament. We'll be working with the tournament organizers to make sure it's counted properly for the event, so it gets graded appropriately.

Anyone that has an established event is welcome to either post here, or email us and we can give you an estimate of what that tournament would be worth under the WPPRv5.0 rules.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can we get more details and a full list please. I like to plan WAY in advance for events.

Also, will new rules be retroactive for old events prior to the change?

New rules will NOT be retroactive for anything pre 1/1/15. There's nearly 4000 active tournament results that would have to be individually graded . . . and the time and effort involved in collecting that information would be next to impossible.

If you want to post the details of one of the formats of you're event I can certainly churn it through the formula and see what spits out the other end.

#39 9 years ago

I will add that we will no longer be including subjective point reductions for weekday events, events classified as "Launch Parties", etc.

There will also no longer be anything classified as an "annual" or "periodic" tournament, or "main"/"side" tournament.

Every tournament/league submission will graded on its own objective merits, and every one will be listed separately on a player's resume.

#41 9 years ago

Consequences are fuzzy to us as well. It's the first time we've overhauled the system this big since 2009, and the first time we're not able to test all of our historical data using the new formula. Can't say I'm excited about that part of it, but we're coming out guns blazing with the best of intentions for the system.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

I'm interested to learn more about the planned changes as well. You said they're going to be announced in October? When will they go into effect? I was planning on doing some annual events before the end of the year (one in October, one in November) - if there are going to be new rules governing them that may impact my plans for dates/format/cost/location/etc.

Changes will go into effect starting 1/1/15. The announcement on 10/1/14 is to hopefully give us 3 months of being able to answer questions, and help tournament directors get familiar with the information we're going to need to officially endorse the tournament and evaluate it properly.

Consider this the announcement, before the epic announcement, before the implementation of that epic announcement (Pinside moderators told me it has to be done this way now)

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Looking forward to the changes. I hate that as a league we play 15 weeks + playoffs for a similar wppr prize as one-day tournaments that show up. This should really benefit league play as a whole.

Yes, most 'good leagues' that include a ton of playing during their season should grade out to 100% for that season.

However, depending on the number of players in your league you may see the overall value actually decrease compared to the current rules.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

How would you grade the FSPA league seasons? 10 weeks of play, 4 games per week, your usual sprinkling of top 500 and top 1000 players you know and love

Those would be graded at 100%.

Looks like we got April results from Mighty Mikes, Town Hall, and VBH.

Here's some quick old value vs. new value comparisons:

Mighty Mikes (20.95 new way, 10.32 old way)
    Town Hall (8.85 new way, 9.11 old way)
    VBH (19.26 new way, 10.26 old way)

A reminder that this would be for EACH SEASON the new way. The old way you combined the seasons into one listing on your player resume for your ranking.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ruger:

Very interesting changes coming. I think it is a positive for leagues, especially those that play as many games as FSPA does in one season.

I'm also looking forward to how it affects house tournaments. My quarterly tournament averages more players than many annual ones do (~35) so those points will go up.

The real question is will the cool all-day house tournaments where players travel 2-4 hours to play still get players from afar? Or will those players focus on more local events now that they can get the same or more points without traveling so far.

The one caveat to the new change, because we're allowing people to run as many events as they would like, as often as they would like.

Residences will only be allowed to host ONE endorsed tournament per year.

This is to stop someone from running a tournament at their house every single night of the year, and actually be able to count all 365 events. Even at fractions of a WPPR point per event, they could seriously impact the SCS of that state.

This change will definitely shift the SCS standings to be based on local events, as all of those monthly/weekly events no longer have to split value with themselves during the year.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Will a player's active results remain as their top 15?

It's actually going to expand from the top 15, most likely to the top 20 (to accommodate all of those Main+Side events that will now count as two events on a player's resume).

For a while we will have some 'old formula' data, mixed with 'new formula' data on a player's resume, but that will work itself out over time as more new results come in, and the other results continue to decay.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Makes sense to increase the number of active results.

Should be interesting in the first year, seeing how new values balance out with the old system. I'd expect it will start to even itself out once old events start losing 25% value (unless that is changing?).

I'm equally interested to see when things will start to shift and include more 'new results' for players.

With the monthly tournaments being combined into one cumulative resume event under the old system, it's going to be tough to crack a monthly tournaments on your top 20 the new way until things decay a bit.

If you did well in PAPA Classics in the past, since those 3 tournaments no longer have to share 'side tournament' value with eachother, players are likely to see a boost for each of those individual Classics tournaments.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Further, with private collectors hosting, space will be an issue as well as the potential for exclusivity. That is, it is doubtful many private collectors will want every player across the state showing up at their home looking for WPPR points.

It will be easy to exclude folks even if the event has to be advertised. The general city is known ,but even now some events read "Private location, contact director". So, with space an issue, one could see where some non local people are excluded in favor of locals. Sorry, we never got the email request, all spots are filled.

Majors used to be at shows or large facilities, where the public is welcome and the tourney is open (for the most part, Pinburgh comes to mind as it tends to sell out).

Unless I am reading it wrong, the irony will be that winning a PAPA circuit event in a state could be trivial compared to the sum of the day to day points available, which seems counter intuitive to what the intent of a state and world ranking of players should be.

With the base value calculated by the number of players that participate, any house tournaments with limited participant numbers won't be able to compete with the likes of a substantial full weekend event.

If you have an example house tournament by you that is currently getting the full 25 base points because it's by default, I can certainly run the new formula on that tournament and let you know how it changes.

The big shift is that the World Rankings and the State Rankings will now have a shift in motivation. If I run 500 small tournaments in a state, worth 1 point each . . . those won't have any impact on a player's top 20 resume, which is what their World Ranking is based on. For the SCS, it will definitely have a HUGE impact on the state standings. This makes the opportunity for out-of-state players who come into town to play one weekend event, no longer able to qualify for that state based on just that result, solving possibly the biggest issue we've heard about the SCS after the first year. SCS is about growing the local tournament scene, and rewarding those players that get out and play the most, and play the best. It is NOT a State "ranking" in the same respect as a player's World Ranking.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

But winning the Nationals which one would think is a major event, was worth less than winning a PAPA circuit event in one's state. That is hard to explain to someone not in the know about the WPPR system.

Besides pinball's Grand Slam (PAPA/IFPA/EPC/Pinburgh), there are no 'major' distinctions. Nationals will be graded the same way any PAPA circuit event would be graded . . . it gets even worse under the new system.

The big thing that kills the Nationals is that there were only 25 players, versus SPF last year that had 81 players.

Here's the breakdown of value under the new system for both of those:

Nationals --> 12.5 base points, 17.94 TVA, 100% grade = 30.44 points (down from 42.94)
    SPF --> 32 base points, 21.67 TVA, 87% grade = 46.69 points (up from 46.68)

This impacts the State Championship tournaments themselves greatly under the new system as well:
    Florida SCS --> 8 base points, 5.75 TVA, 100% grade = 13.75 points (down from 30.76)

#68 9 years ago

Kevin - You are missing what the impact WOULD be under the new system for SCS.

If I run a tournament in my house, every night, with my family of 4, I can earn up to 2 points per night assuming I run a 'quality' format with my wife, 2 year old son and 3 month old daughter.

Multiply that by 365 and I can earn 730 WPPR points for the Illinois SCS, which has a HUGE impact on the SCS . . . especially if I win all of them (which I better or else I have bigger problems).

The only potential way around this that I'm interested in is whether hosts agree to make their address public on our site, without a cap to the number of players that can show up. At that point you're pretty much acting as a "public venue" out of your own house.

On the bright side your house tournament wouldn't be worth 1/4 WPPR's, so you could in theory still run 1 a year per points, and 3 per year 'for fun', and end up with the same amount of WPPR points awarded in either case.

What MHS said is pretty much spot on . . . unleashing the beast on allowing people to run as many tournaments as they would like is supposed to help grow location pinball and get new players interested. The idea of giving the same group of people the opportunity to run as many events as they would like privately wasn't a motivating factor behind the switch to WPPR v5.0.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

This should really be its own new separate thread, imho.

That thread will be coming October 1st . . . remember this is just the announcement before the actual EPIC announcement

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Does this mean that leagues will now have to submit results at the end of each event instead of the end of the season?

Leagues will be able to submit at the end of the season just as before. The grading of that season will encompass the data from all of the events within the season, which should help make it grade out to a much higher percentage.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I did a ninja edit to the previous post. Here's another curiosity:

Also, as an example. Tucson Pinball League. Growing player market, so rankings are constantly improving for the group of regulars. If we play 8 games per event and have 12 players, would it be more valuable to increase the machine count or the player count? Both if possible? I think a lot of this depends on if we have to submit after each event, or just the season results. Just want to make it the best league I can.

If you play 8 games per event, and have 12 players, you have room to grow in both areas.

Here's the difference between submitting each session, versus submitting at the end of the season (assuming 5 sessions):

Each session would have a base value of 1.92 WPPR points. In total this would be 9.60 WPPR points, but be listed as 5 separate entries on a player's resume.

If you submit at the end of the season, it would have a base value of 6.00 WPPR points. This would only be listed as 1 entry on a player's resume.

So for the SCS you would be up about 3.60 points submitting them individually, but would limit the ability for players to move up the world rankings by filling their resume up with low value events (sort of the balancing act of what the new system is all about).

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Is this base value changing in the new system, or have I misread somewhere on the current format?

We play coin-drop on location, with up to 28 games +/- available to us. 8 games puts us at about 2 hours. We could add more games easily if that was beneficial. Again, this is with a league, not a tournament, so that might not play into it. I will keep eye peeled for the next round of info and what is required for submitting.

Base value is no longer guaranteed at 25 points. It will now be earned based on the number of players that play.

The entire value of the tournament will now be impacted based on a grading system. The max for the grading is 100%, and thus a tournament gets to keep their entire value earned.

Adding more games played for the night is a better test of skill for those tournament players, and will increase your grade for that event.

A quick example would be:

If you play 8 games per event, and have 12 players, your value is 1.92 WPPR points for that event.

If you increase that to 10 games per event, and still have 12 players, your value would increase to 2.40 WPPR points for that event.

You can definitely continue to increase the value of that event by playing more meaningful games of pinball, which of course takes more time investment from the organizers to run . . . so the system is meant to reward those that put more time into running their events.

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Cool, thanks for the info. Do you know what is going to be required for submitting league results? I might as well get in the habit of doing that now. Currently, it's just the player list and rankings AFAIK. In the future will that be expanded to the # of games played at each event, data exported from Arcade Tournament Manager, ...?

There will be additional information needing for the submissions to help grade the tournament properly, but we also plan on trying to get a ton of information up front in the calendar submission process.

The most popular question we get is what kind of estimate we have on what an upcoming tournament will be worth.

Since this will highly depend on the format of the event, it's important we have that information early.

The results submission process we be more about confirming the format that was submitted was actually executed, and handling any cases where this was ambiguous (for example a double elimination bracket can significantly vary how many games were played based on how many participants show up).

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

I'm not sure whether I'm understand the new value system correctly. For example, I run periodic weeknight tournaments at a location near me using a double elimination bracket. The last tournament had 21 players, and it ended up being worth a little over 7 points to the winner. Based on the numbers being used in the league play example above, it seems like I should expect the value of these events to drop significantly, is that correct?

Echa - Right now you're getting a base value of 6.25 for each event (guaranteed), plus some TVA points based on who played. This added up to the 7.11 WPPR points for the June tournament you ran.

The new way doesn't care that it's a "periodic" tournament. It only cares about the format you ran, and will be worth as much or as little based on that grading percentage and the number of players that play.

Here's a breakdown of that same exact tournament under the new system:
    Base value of 10.5 points
    TVA of 3.43 points
    Total value = 13.93 WPPR points

Then we grade your tournament format, which you said is a double elimination bracket for 21 players. Assuming each match is a single game that would grade out to 44%. If you ran a tournament that graded out to 100%, you would get the entire 13.93 WPPR points awarded.

Your total value for that event after grading would be 6.13 WPPR points.

The difference is, you can run that same event as many times as you would like under the new system. Under the old system we would just continue to split the points over however many you ended up running for the calendar year.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

This will go a long way to adjusting the imbalance that exists for monthlies right now. Those are worth about 2 points and you'd have to win each of them through the year to match the points from beating most of the same people at an annual event like Zapcon.

You got it

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Can I ask that you do a calculation for me? League play, 10 months, one event per month. 12 players, 8 games. Does it matter that if we do one at a house, the game list might only be 6 games? Current players are in the 3000-8000 range, but have only been getting points since the beginning of the year, so that range is dropping each month.

Have all the base points for the next format been posted?

8 games per month for 12 players = 1.92 WPPR points

If it ends up only being 6 games, it would be reduced to 1.44 WPPR points for that session.

If you wait until the end of the season you get to count the games played across all sessions, grading out to 100%. You would then get to keep your base value of 6 WPPR points for the season.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from drgnlair:

1. Right now I do one tournament at my house a year( 2 this year, 1 being the Oursler tournament). With my address posted and with no limits. I really could do 3 or 4. 27 games at the house.Had 20 players at one and 27 at the other.
    2. What about pin golf? Since people could play 19 games at my house with 20 people. That would be a wild Base number.
    3. In the league I am in now we play 4 games in a pinburgh format of 3 for win 2 for 2nd and 1 for third and 0 for 4th. with a max of 4 games being played.24 players. What would be the base for that? That would be a loser in the new format right. 8 months

1. With you posting your full address and making it public, we're likely to allow you to run as many events as you would like at your place.

2. A Pin golf tournament where 20 people play 19 games would result in a net base value of 7.60 WPPR points for that tournament.

3. 24 players, playing 4 games in an evening, for 8 months would be worth a net base value of 1.92 WPPR points for each session, or 12.00 WPPR points if submitted at the end of the season.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

So why not limit to one endorsed residence tournament per month rather than year?

That seems like a much better way to encourage events than limiting home events to 1 per year.

One per month would allow myself and 10 of my closest friends to be able to run a total of 120 tournaments per year, and if we took the time to make sure our format graded out to 100%, it would result in 5+ WPPR points per meeting.

120 tournaments at 5+ WPPR points per meeting, means that my group of buddies just accumulated 600 WPPR points within that state's SCS without really doing anything to promote growing the player besides hanging out with eachother.

Even with 1 per residence, most communities have a group of players with multiple hosts available. Here in Chicago we have at least a 15 available hosts from our pinball league. If everyone took to hosting one endorsed event per year at their residence, the WPPR points start to accumulate quickly. Allowing 2 for each host doubles that . . . 4 for each host quadruples that, etc.

I would much rather focus that energy for organizers to run events in public venues with the hope that it helps earnings on location and grows the player base.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The Pinaholics events here are based in a home.. because its where we have a great collection of tournament worthy games that can hold up to the type of play. These events draw 50+ people from upwards of 4+ hours away and include plenty of heavy hitters (people who can make PAPA playoffs, etc). This type of event is every bit as worthy as a highly advertised event held at a bar on a Saturday night... in fact I think it's fair to say it has outdrawn just about every location tournament in the area in recent years. Yet, under the proposed rules shared so far.. it's value in ranking competitive play would be crippled because it's played in at a collector's house, vs on location.

The proposed rules would actually have no impact compared to what Kevin awards now for his Pinaholics events.

Currently --> We force him to run a periodic, so he gets 25 base points for the year split in 1/4ths
    New Rules --> He can still run one 'private' event that would yield him the same, if not more points than the current system

Ultimately he also has the power to not list event as 'private' on our calendar, and can continue to run as many events as he would like out of his house with no limit.

Houses that may host a league event are not included in these 'private' endorsed tournaments. I host as part of the Chicagoland Pinball League season, and that has no impact on my ability to run a separate event at my place under the new system.

Currently the proposal is that I can list my place publicly on the IFPA calendar, still require pre-registration, and have as many events as I would like at my house (365 if I want to run one every day). My other option is to click the 'private' checkbox on the IFPA calendar which I could do once for the year.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Quick question. Since one of your (IFPA) goals is getting more people into pinball and expanding the fan base, would you consider WPPRs for non-traditional tournaments? I feel like a split flipper or other 'fun' style tournament can get folks into pinball more.

Even if it's like a max of 5 pts (or less) for these, I feel the allure of being an "internationally ranked" pinball player could be a gateway drug for some newbies.

For split flipper you can fairly judge those results because it involves multiple players on the machine. It is completely unfair for someone to pair themselves with Keith Elwin as their split flipper partner, and get to bank personal WPPR points based on Keith's skill.

There is no 'special treatment' of events where there's any max base available. Every event will grade out the exact same way, with the ability for every single event to grade out at 100%. Run a split-flipper for fun, and follow it up with a singles tournament for points afterwards. Players will still find a way to get interested.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I like the idea that tournaments will be valued more specifically based on "size" and participants (both the count and who attents). I hope you will find the correct metrics for this so we will not see organisers creep around these in ways which are ridiculous. For instance, if number of matches played will be a factor in determaining the value of a tournament, I would hate to see that we are going to play 1-ball games.

We're feeling pretty good with the metrics at the moment. Of course no system will ever be perfect, and we've only made changes in the past when we feel like those changes have created a 'net positive' result.

Organizers will always look for ways to exploit the WPPR system. The good news is that this isn't something new, so we're dealing with it all the time already. With the old system every single tournament was guaranteed to grade out at 100%, so really this new system can only hurt a tournament that doesn't grade out fully.

Number of matches played will be a huge factor in the grading system . . . and any 1-ball games will not be endorsed by the IFPA as part of that game count.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

So if you choose to submit your league or weekly/monthly events as one aggregate submission -- when the league has concluded, or when you've finished 12 months' worth of your weekly/monthly -- then the aggregate of the league/weekly/monthly gets treated as one line item in your WPPR ranking profile? (rather than 12 separate ones or 52 separate ones)

And if the above is true, then for # of players to use in grading the quality of the weekly/monthly, would you use the average # of players that showed up over the course of the year?

This is correct Colin . . .think of 12 months of league as one really long tournament.

The # of players if you are keeping track of cumulative standings for the year would include anyone that has played at least one session during the year.

Leagues like the PPL in Pittsburgh have this. You'll see Bowen Kerins ranked like 80th because he was in town for one session of the league during that season.

It will be up to the league if they want to fill player's resumes with low scoring individual meets, or submit one aggregate submission for a higher scoring event that takes up one line on the resume.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What is the difference between grading out at 44% (used in a previous example) and 100%? Is it a player count compared to ranking? I'm not quite clear how waiting for the end of a league season gets you to 100%, but submitting after each (monthly in this case) event does not get you there.

Player Count sets the base value (somewhere between 0-32)

Number of games played in the season is used for the grading percentage.

For an entire league season you get to count ALL the games from each session, so you are more likely to grade out at 100%. If you only count the games played from an individual night, that's where you will grade out to <100% based on whatever total were played.

#117 9 years ago

If Kevin wants to rename his event the "Pinaholics League" . . . then we're all good

No matter what we roll with people with game the system in some way. Ultimately if we smell something that isn't kosher we'll deal with it accordingly.

As always, we plan on working with organizers directly (especially GOOD organizers), the find ways to make things work for them. This work has already started with Kevin for his events, so rest assured we will take care of things.

#119 9 years ago

Hilton - at some point for your world ranking the monthly events will no longer help you.

The SCS should keep players coming back month after month. If your monthly grades out to 4 points per month, that's now 48 points up for grabs in the Wisconsin SCS. (Up from 25 under the old system)

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

When you get a chance, can you show how would last years MRP and "Last Chance" grade out under new format?

I would need to know the formats in as much detail as possible.

If you can send that to me I can grade them out.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Josh -- to clarify "League" (that meets once a month) vs. "Monthly" events (distinct tourneys that are held at same location -- and comprise roughly 90% the same people from month to month) ....

- The League is allowed to, if they choose to do so, submit their league results as one 12-month long tournament for WPPR grading purposes.

- Is the Monthly allowed to submit all 12 of their calendar year events as one 12-month long tourney as well?

This is something we're in the middle of cleaning up. The term "leagues" versus "tournament" has to not give benefits strictly based on name alone, or else everyone will call their event whatever yields better ways to score WPPR's.

The facts about most leagues are that there is some sort of session to session cumulative standings that are kept, making the individually meetings linked in some way. Compare this to a monthly tournament where each session really is an independent event.

This may end up making some "Leagues" that exist today, not qualify as an IFPA endorsed league if it's simply a random gathering of players that meet month to month, with nothing connecting those meetings between one another.

The connectivity of the individual events makes it possible for the League to submit a collective result at the end of the season comprised of all the individual sessions held.

One can do the same for a monthly tournament, if that data is based on the cumulative play of those previous meetings.

At that point it's the "same thing" and the term league vs. tournament is simply semantics.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

Quick question: could a tournament be graded *above* 100% based on number of games played by the winner of 1st place?

No . . . 100% is the max grade possible.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I have to say, as an operator that runs a yearly tournament this is a huge turn off and depending on the official statement I think we will no longer be hosting tournaments...

they are already a huge time and money suck, to try and make them take longer with more games and such would really kill any incentive we have as a location...

we host a yearly tournament and lose hundreds of dollars that day of machine earnings... but we do it for the players and because we love pinball... making the tournaments any more difficult would be the final nail in the coffin

Unless the tournament you run is already a quality event, in which case you will be rewarded for the work you're already doing. If you can tell me the details of your tournament I can tell you exactly how it will be impacted.

Ultimately if people are no longer going to host tournaments because of the implications of what WPPR v5.0 will be, then that's something we'll see in the # of tournaments that get played all around the world.

Right now here's the baseline we're working with:

2009 - 487 events
    2010 - 619 events
    2011 - 772 events
    2012 - 977 events
    2013 - 1604 events
    2014 - 1089 events (so far)

If this turns off too many organizers we'll have to re-evaluate the system, and go back to guaranteeing some sort of minimum points for everyone to keep them happy.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

MRP 2013 was pingolf format. Each player played each game 1 time. I think we had 12 games in golf last year.

That took us almost 5 hours. No playoffs.

Last chance 2013 was 6 games for qualifying and each player played once per machine. Top 16 qualified for playoffs which were double elmination inverted bracket with top 2 winning and bottom 2 losing. Lose twice and done.

Here's the breakdown for MRP 2013:
    Base value = 24 points based on 48 players having played
    TVA = 5.87 points
    ---------------------
    Subtotal = 29.87 points
    Grading percentage = 48% based on 12 games played
    ---------------------
    TOTAL = 14.34 points (compared to 30.87 under the old system)

Here's the breakdown for Last Chance 2013:
    Not quite sure I understand what an inverted bracket means, so I'll use a standard double elim bracket for 16 players which is 9 rounds.

Base value = 11 points based on 22 players having played
    TVA = 6.56 points
    ---------------------
    Subtotal = 17.56 points
    Grading percentage = 36% based on 9 games played (the 6 qualifying games do not count, because it didn't reduce the field by at least 50% - you only went from 22 players to 16 - we consider this a 'seeding' process when the field isn't reduced by at least half)
    *had your qualifying process reduced the field by half, grading percentage would have been 60%
    ---------------------
    TOTAL = 6.32 points (compared to 31.56 under the old system)
    *10.54 points if you had reduced the qualifying field by half

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WOW!

If MRP is not a full value event then I will likely no longer run any big events. That takes a crazy amount of effort and is likely the largest I can ever see making an event (granted this year will likely be a few more machines and a few more players than last year).

I am not sure how to fix it but something is flawed with the new algorithm. I am not interested in making an event that is not this pingolf format as everyone really enjoyed it and it provides a very unique yet challenging format.

Are there any simple things that can be done in order to get it up to full value?

Easiest way is to play more games, as this will increase the grading percentage of the event.

If you allowed people to play TWO rounds instead of just one, and took their combined scores for both rounds, you would increase your grading percentage to 96%.

This would net out 28.68 WPPR points for the winner instead of 14.34.

Nothing is flawed about the algorithm, we're simply making it a challenge for organizers to grade out to 100% value, especially when compared to the bigger tournaments out there that last 3-4 days, and include dozens of volunteers to make them run.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

6 machines in main tournament, 1 machine in side tournament (so 7 total in tournament)

26 people including some well ranked players

6 hours qualify

standard tournament setup, four groups of four, best out of three games per group

our last one 37.5 points total (25 main, 12.5 side)

Well there will no longer be any distinctions for "MAIN" and "SIDE" tournaments, so let's focus on your Main tournament which was 25 base points the current way.

32 players = Base value of 16 points

Let me make some assumptions:
    - Assuming you go 16 players down to 8 down to 4, is 3 rounds of 3 games for finals
    - Assuming you will simply use the 7th game for the Main tournament side Side tournaments will no longer exist
    - Assume you get 32 players, as this would reduce your field by 50% and allow us to count the qualifying portion of the tournament, or simply take 13 finalists instead of 16

Grading percentage would be based on 6 hours of qualifying + 7 games played in qualifying + 9 games played in finals . . . 88% grade

Total value would be 14.08 WPPR points base value for this tournament

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately, there is just not the local help or interest to have something bigger it seems. I have no desire to be on the same level as the big 3 day events (PAPA, Pinburgh) but also would like to see the full level be achived by something like MRP (i.e. full day long event with 16plus different games and 48plus people) with the bigger events getting further base points based on the other factors?

Maybe there should be some sort of unique game multiplier? I think 14 unique games played are more valuable than playing 1 game 14 times.

For example, I could just have 3 games total and require people to play them each 10 times and then take the avg of all their scores but that would be pretty boring to me. If this event style is down graded then it seems the target is now moved and the selection for event type will evolve to create the event style that awards the most points?

Can you just provide the algorithm so I can see what is weighted/how? it would help me to understand what the overall weighting is and what woudl make the "perfect" event under the new constraints.

By saying you want further events to get more base points (more than full value), I guess I don't see the difference. If I make MRP grade out to exactly 100%, and keep our formula the same and allow the Max Grading % to simply be 150% . . . does that make you feel better knowing you're in exactly the same position when comparing your tournament value to others?

We aren't interested in a unique game multiplier, because that instantly favors people/areas that have bigger collections. If we play 10 games on 10 different machines, it's the same test of skill as counting 10 games on the same machine. It's about the # of times we have played a meaningful game of pinball that matters . . . not the titles it's on.

Your example of taking 3 games, and playing them each 10 times is EXACTLY what will grade you out to 100%. Compared to your Pingolf example where 12 games of data are used, you are talking about 30 games of data being used. While it's 'more boring', it is a more true test of skill to have over double the amount of games played being evaluated. Like I mentioned, you could do Pingolf and simply double or triple the rounds played to allow your tournament to grade out higher. This of course increases the time you need to run your tournament (which is the basic idea of the formula - put in more effort to have more play for the players - be rewarded for it).

Any format can grade out to 100% . . . it's just a question of allowing the players to more games to build more data being evaluated to determine the ultimate result.

Here's the basic formula in a nutshell:
    Base value = 1/2 point per player up to 64 players (32 point max)
    Grading percentage = 4% for every game played in determining your winner (100% grade max)
    *if your tournament includes unlimited qualifying, then we also look at the number of hours of open qualifying you have as a component in the grading*

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

so big tournaments will get bigger and small ones will get smaller...

gotcha

thanks, I've been looking for ANY excuse to discontinue our tournaments!

Like Soren mentioned, it's all relative to other events, and if you don't keep that perspective then I can't help you.

If I simply took our exact same plans, and multiplied all points by 1000, would you feel better about it?

Instead of going from 25 points to 14.08 points . . . you would go from 25 points to 14,080! Talk about a HUGE INCREASE!

I will tell you that the median number of players for a tournament over the last 4000 events held is 20 players per tournament. At 26 players this actually puts you 'better than average' by comparison, which means the flat guaranteed base of 25 points per event was actually hurting you relative to all the other tournaments out there.

If a change to the WPPR system is the reason for you to stop running a tournament you are losing money on . . . I guess . . . you're welcome?

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Is this the same for leagues, location tournaments, residential events (both public and the once a year private), and large events (conventions and multi-day tournaments)?

Everything is graded exactly the same way . . . period.

#151 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately, it seems more time is a road block constraint on most of the WI based events as everything besides MGC is a single day event at this stage.

What is the metric for the unlimited qualifying and hours per play factoring into the equation? I have had ideas for an epic WI bar crawl to play a bunch of pins in a single weekend which could possibly utilize this in someway.
    Something like a list of 40 games and you need to play all 40 to qualify and up to 3 plays allowed on each game to get best score.

Time is ABSOLUTELY a road block to value, because it takes more time to play more games to increase you grade. This is help keep the balance of the weeknight events that are designed to last a couple of hours. There's only so many games you can play in a couple of hours, so they will organically grade out lower.

The metric for unlimited qualifying is only for UNLIMITED attempts (your example of playing 3 on each game is LIMITED attempts) so there would be no time metric evaluated. This would grade out to 100% (40 games X 4% each would eclipse the max).

Let's assume you have 40 games, and you simply tell everyone, play as much as you would like for 8 hours! We'll take your best score on each one.

Here's how the time component factors in:
    The grading is broke up to 20% time based, 80% games played based
    Every hour of open qualifying adds 1%, and every game played still adds 4%

So for this example you would have:
    8 hours of unlimited qualifying - 8%
    40 games played - 80% max
    Total grade = 88%

The unlimited actually grades out less because it's basically impossible to get players to play 3 attempts on 40 games (120 games played) in less than 8 hours. You would need something along the lines of 30+ hours to make that happen, especially with games in multiple locations.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Are the TVA formulas changing? Just playing with numbers.

TVA numbers are not changing, and the distribution of WPPR points aren't changing.

We only like changing one major variable at a time, just in case things go to complete chaos and we have to revert back to v4.0.

This v5.0 change strictly deals with base value, and the grading of that value.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I said thanks?

I might just let the guys organize a league and let them figure it out on their own... if they want to do it on location and pay to play, great, if not that's fine too... but running a tournament is a LOT of work, hats off to people that do it (seriously)

Anytime I can help get a business to stop losing money, I think that's a good thing

I would absolutely let the players figure it out. We do that with all of our tournaments in Chicago, and have had some of the locations offer to give us free games, and I've said NO WAY. Make us pay to play, because that's what we're there to do . . . help increase the earnings of the machines through competitive play.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Also, can the TVA for individual players be negative? So if you have a few players that add a minor abount of TVA, but is negated by a lot of players who don't rank/rate high enough to bring a positive value.

TVA is a positive-only thing. Adding more players to a tournament doesn't make it easier to win . . . it may not make it 'much more difficult', but it will never make it easier.

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from Replay:

I might have missed it, but how is TVA calculated?

That information is available here (already in the current formula):

http://www.ifpapinball.com/ranking-info

Here is the verbiage from the section on the Tournament Value Adjustment (TVA):

Tournament Value Adjustment

As we mentioned earlier there are two strength indicators that we use to determine the TVA for an event. This includes a TVA based on player RATING, and a TVA based on player RANKING. These values are added to the base value of an event to determine the 1st place WPPR point value for that tournament. The TVA takes into account the best 64 players participating in a tournament for each strength indicator. For the RATING strength indicator, the top 64 RATED players are taken into account. For the RANKING strength indicator, the top 64 RANKED players are taken into account.

RATING FORMULA

The TVA based on RATING can be worth up to 50 additional WPPR points for a tournament. The formula used to determine the WPPR value that each player adds to the pot is:

(RATING * .00109375) – 1.40625

We consider a 'perfect' player to be rated 2000, so based on the formula that player would add .78 WPPR points to the value of the tournament. 64 players with a rating of 2000 would amount to a 50 WPPR point increase for that tournament. Any player with a rating of 1285.71 or less will have no impact on the strength of the tournament.

RANKING FORMULA

The TVA based on RANKING can be worth up to 25 additional WPPR points for a tournament. The formula used to determine the WPPR value that each player adds to the pot is:

[ln(RANKING) * -.105837527) + .729913984

We consider a 'perfect' tournament to include the top 64 ranked players in the world participating. Based on the formula the #1 ranked player in the world would add .73 WPPR points to the pot, the #2 ranked player in the world would add .66 WPPR points to the pot, etc. In total the top 64 ranked players would equal an additional 25 WPPR points in value for the tournament.

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Does this mean WPPR points will now be awarded for tournaments where players select what division they enter? ie PAPA World Championships B and C divisions?

Nope. A tournament still can't restrict players from competing based on age/skill/gender/etc. and expect to be endorsed by the IFPA.

All the rules being implemented for WPPR v5.0 are only for IFPA endorsed tournaments/leagues.

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from Replay:

Taking the last 403 Club monthly as an example:

http://challonge.com/403clubsat33

18 players, best two out of three, double elimination.

I managed to win it in seven rounds, playing a total of 16 games, but it could have been as many as 21 games in those seven rounds. I could have won in six rounds while playing as few as 14 games (out of 18 possible) If Taylor had managed to come all the way back through the losers bracket to win the event she would have competed in ten rounds and as many as 30 games. Also, Jason (and many others) had a bye the first round and could have won the event in five rounds, playing as few as ten games and as many as fifteen.

What would be the correct number of games to be reported for this event?

Phil - We look at 'longest path' when it comes to the games played count, so there's no opportunities for a player to intentionally lose and prolong a match in order to increase the value of the tournament.

Here is how the value would breakdown for that 403 Club monthly:

18 players = 9 point base value
    TVA = 3.20 points (from the current IFPA results page)
    Total Gross Value = 12.20

Grading percentage = 30 games played [longest path for an 18 player, 2 out of 3, double elim tournament is 10 rounds at 3 games played per round]. This grades out to 100%.

Monthly winner would get 12.20 WPPR points (compared to 4.02 awarded based on the current system).

The only difference is every month would be listed separately on your resume, compared to this year where you have earned 19.74 points based on the cumulative total of all the months you've played in.

#174 9 years ago

Bingo! The days of any 3-person event being worth anything of substance will long be over.

#176 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hi Josh, I wonder if you could break down our last MCPL season to see how it would score under the new rules. We had 25 players who stayed to the end of a ten week season, plus finals night. We play 4 games/night and 5 games on finals night for a total of 45 games played. Last season I won and earned 9.37 points. Thanks!

No problem Chris . . .

25 players = 12.5 base points
    TVA = 3.10 points
    Total Gross Value = 15.40 points
    As with most leagues a total of 45 games played over the 10 weeks + finals is awesome, and will definitely grade out to 100%.

This puts the winner of the league season at 15.40 WPPR points per season, no matter how many seasons you guys run in a year. This is compared to 9.37 WPPR points won under the current system, a 64% increase.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from SolarRide:

I totally get that it is desirable to reduce backyard tournament point inflation and increase accuracy. So I guess there has been a shift in philosophy towards accuracy, rather than the original primary goal of increasing the popularity of competitive pinball which the earlier system addressed perfectly. Time will tell if this adjustment gives the worst of both worlds since tournament directors might just submit results the way they always submit them and get the low point treatment of the new system even though the tournament might have a lot of great players involved, thereby not only impeding popularity but also accuracy.

Rather than this simply being a shift towards trying to get things more accurate, we have run into problems with motivating people to run more tournaments under the current system.

Due to the way that we combine tournaments and split values during the course of a calendar year, organizers have started becoming motivated to NOT run additional events, for fear of having to split points with an event they ran prior. This had a huge impact on me, and ultimately pushed me in the direction of needing to create a system that always motivated organizers to run as many tournaments as they wanted without fear of reducing the points awarded at any prior event.

The data collection process for organizers isn't nearly as complicated as you may fear. Back in the 2009 release of WPPR v3.0, which I know you were around for, that's when we started distributing WPPR points for all players. The biggest problem was that many tournaments only kept track of the top 16 standings (by paper), and when results were submitted we were forced to give 16th place "last place", even though we knew 100+ players participated (I'm looking at you Pinball Expo). That was by far the hardest task of making sure organizers kept FULL results of all participants, and over time they adjusted (or faced the WPPR consequences, and heat from the players that suffered from it).

Most recently the biggest changes to the WPPR system that have required an increased workload has nothing to do with the system, and everything to do with calendar/result submissions. Since baby #2 has arrived in the Sharpe household, I've simply had no time to put in the ~20 hours required per week to upload the 40 new results we get, 40 new calendar submissions we get, update player profiles, and answer all the questions in the IFPA inbox, etc. We just released our online interface where tournament directors are now responsible for submitting their calendar entry, and then submitting their results directly through our website. I can now approve 40 results in a couple of hours, rather than taking 10+ hours to do it.

The additional workload required for a tournament director to share their format with us is all that will be requested. Since many of the formats have a known amount of games played, I don't anticipate too much trouble. For example an 8 person single elimination bracket, single game matches is 3 rounds of 1 game each . . . so game count = 3, done.

Hope to see you back on the battlefield at some point

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from SolarRide:

As a comparison to having to now keep track of # of games played and time spent from beginning to end. I'm just saying that the more metrics (individual records was the stat drag in PARS), the less likely you will be to get accurate submissions (which is the whole point of WPPR5.0).

Time spent from beginning to end isn't really the issue.

Time is only a metric for a tournament that uses a format that involves UNLIMITED qualifying attempts. Every other style of tournament and length of time is irrelevant. If we do need the time metric, it's simply the number of hours of open qualifying that is used. We hope that most tournaments have a pre-set schedule of the hours of qualifying, so it should be a super easy metric to count.

For example, I can jump on the PAPA site right now, and check out the PAPA 17 schedule:
    A division - 12 hours Thursday, 15 hours Friday, and I can stop counting because we're already over 20 hours
    Classics divisions - 8 hours worth of qualifying, so this will add 8% to the eventual grading percentage of the event

As for keeping track of games played, it's equally easy because we always use 'longest path' through any tournament format. This allows us to predetermine many of the game counts simply based on the number of participants involved in the playoffs. Tournament organizers won't have to individually track how many games each player played, and then make sure the eventual winner's count is the number that is submitted. Every bracket will assume the lowest seed advancing through the tournament, using the maximum number of games played in every round they could possibly play.

Is there a chance for tournament directors to submit results that aren't accurate? Of course, and they will see their value reflected in that. Similar to the issues with WPPR v3.0 we hope that over time organizers will get used to the changes. If they are consistently running the same format, it should also become easier to know exactly what the game count will be long before the tournament even takes place (PAPA = 5 qualifying games + 9 finals games for example . . . plus the 20+ hours of qualifying, and I can already tell you PAPA will grade out to 76% for A division).

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Interesting that PAPA A division will not grade out to 100%. However, it should still be worth big points due to the TVA, considering the level of players involved, correct? Any guess as to what the grading percentage would be for Classics?

Definitely still big points . . . here's how last year would grade out for PAPA A, and Classics:

PAPA 16 A
    81 players = 32 base points
    TVA = 50.65 points
    Gross Total Value = 82.65 points
    Grading percentage = 76%
    Net Total Value = 62.81 points
    Major Championship multiplier (1.5X) = 94.22

PAPA 16 Classics 1
    145 players = 32 base points
    TVA = 53.89 points
    Gross Total Value = 85.69
    Grading percentage = 59%
    Net Total Value = 50.68 points

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I believe it will be almost identical, at 4% less "grade" than A Div:
    - Each Classics has 12 less qualifying hours (than the lax of 20 allowed), so 12% less.
    - and 4-pin ticket, so 4% less. (Cum. 16% less)
    - but with 24 qualifying (top 8 bye), there is one more round of 3 games (12% more)

Net = 4% less than A Div.

Keep in mind A Div gets 50% WPPR bump for a Major status -- Classics will not.

Yes Classics for PAPA 17 would grade out higher because of the extra round played due to the increase in the number of qualifiers to 24 players.

8 hours + 4 qualifying games + 12 finals games = 72%

#192 9 years ago
    Quoted from Replay:

I would think that tournament directors would effort to receive the 100% grade out for their event. Will PAPA shift to five games each round in the finals to pick up those extra six games played for maximum points?

This is the biggest shift with WPPR v5.0, and puts all the power in the hands of the tournament directors to grade out to whatever they want (knowing full well that it will take more effort on their part to increase that grading).

Before there was no additional value benefit given to those tournament directors that worked harder to make their tournament a better test of skill for the competitors involved . . . now there is.

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

This seems somewhat contradictory with limiting residential tournaments to one per year. I think a lot of people would love to see that limit lifted to 3 or 4, which would still accomplish the goal of preventing people from farming points. It seems like most people really like the changes overall except this one point, hopefully there is some room for compromise.

We're likely to not limit residential tournaments, but instead require a minimum player count of 16 players for it to be endorsed by the IFPA.

This would allow us to mitigate the risk of nightly family & friends tournaments having a huge impact on the SCS for various states, while still giving a larger group of dedicated players (16 being 'larger') a chance to be rewarded for their efforts of organizing and playing in an event, even if that event happens to be at a residence.

This will of course be closely monitored during the year, and like most things, if we see an area of exploitation start to develop, we may have to re-evaluate our plans.

#205 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Shouldn't PAPA have 12 finals games, not 9? Based on your "longest path" metric you should include a tiebreaking game at each phase.

We don't assume tiebreakers, because you would have to then assume that there could be a tie for the last qualifying spot, along with the chance (albeit a small one) that there is a tied score at some point in the tournament that would require additional data to clarify that previous result.

We simply look at tiebreakers in that manner . . . it's helping to clarify a previous result.

#206 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The shortest path metric, as suggested earlier in this thread, might actually be a better way determain the ranking value of a tournament. The longest path metric will be exploitable by having 2, 3, 4 rounds byes and leaving earlier rounds to be played as faster one game matches (as opposted to 3 game matches used later in the bracket) beefing up the value.

The thing about shortest path is that some tournaments require all games to be played, regardless of whether they are 'important' or not. Group play tournaments come to mind.

When Bowen ran and grabbed the PAPA 16 champion trophy after two games played in the finals last year, he was still forced to play in a meaningless game #3. In any head-to-head situation, shortest path would only count 2 games played. We chose longest path to help balance out these formats so they are weighted equally, assuming that players COULD play a meaningless game #3 in a head-to-head match if they wanted to, it just wouldn't have an impact on the outcome of the match (like Bowen's game #3 last year at PAPA). Same can be said for Pingolf when players are forced to play their full round. Depending on the max stroke count it would be possible for a player to clinch a victory well before the last hole is played.

As for trying to manufacture byes in a way that adds rounds to the tournament artificially, you can't do it better than a ladder match, which of course is allowed. The issue with that is simply putting in the time to run it. Circuit Final may be a 'cheap way' to get the game count way up since you are eliminating one player at a time, but they also spend 12+hours for the final doing it.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

However, the number of rounds this takes is a huge variable that depends on both luck and skill--if players fall out of the tournament early than the remaining players need to play more rounds to play the same number of games. This is averted significantly if the algorithm pairs players with the same number of losses each round insofar as possible (swiss pairings).

The longest path is also designed to keep things as simple as possible, and give benefit of the doubt to organizers that are running a quality event. I would consider any 3-strike event to be a 'quality' event that does provide a solid test of skill for the participants involved.

WPPR v5.0 was more designed to nuke the inflation of single game high score tournaments, or single elimination 1-game match brackets, etc.

With some math help from Mr. Kerins, here is what we show for max rounds played for a 3-strike tournament depending on the number of players:

2 players: 5 rounds
    3-4 players: 8 rounds
    5-8 players: 11 rounds
    9-16 players: 14 rounds
    17-32 players: 17 rounds
    etc

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I like the idea of more than 1 per year.
    However, I would like to see some limits/ a compromise between the 2. Maybe alimit of 3 residentail events per year to start and then adjust from there?

I like the idea of any residential/private event needing at least 16 people to count, but think it is still somewhat easy to manipulate if unlimited events per year. A limit of 3 to start for 2015 puts a limit that is reasonable and could be adjusted in future years based on trends you see.

Just a thought.

The problem becomes enforcing arbitrary limits. The calendar approval process is literally me going through and making sure the website that was submitted actually has details of the event. At what will surely be 2000+ tournaments played this year, I want no part of keeping a master list of residential tournaments, and logging how many have been played.

Furthermore with a group of local players, this rule is easily worked around by simply moving around to different collections. If we do a limit of 3, I can instantly make that 9 between my brother's collection and my dad's collection. Toss is a couple of buddies and we're already in the 15, 20, 30 residential tournaments per year here in the Chicagoland area EASILY.

I'd rather just let those 15, 20, 30 be at the same place if people are going to run the tournaments anyway and work around the limitation.

Again we'll see how it goes for 2015, but the goal with WPPR v5.0 was for everything to be as unleashed as possible. Only if we see problems will we start applying our band-aids to the situation.

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

makes sense Josh. It will be fun seeing how it all pans out.

Side note, but I would love if for SCS players are required to identify their intended state of play by X month each year and if that were sometime midyearish (Aug/Sept).

Basically, things are very tight for spots in WI and we have quite a few people that will likely qualify in multiple states. It would be nice for those on the bubble to know by August/Sept where they actually stand. Maybe people can rank their state of intent? If they say WI, then MN, then IL, but only qualify in MN then that is the sate theyw oudl be cemented to.

Understandably, some people may play events after the declaration time and still qualify but those people would be fewer than the regulars.

Basically, a way to take out some of the guessing game would be good as people are planning schedules in the hunt for SCS qualifying points.

We'll leave this for the players to work out amongst themselves. Continuing on the theme of my available workload with baby #2, I have no time to handle emails from 5200 players declaring which state they would want to play should they qualify in multiple states.

If you want to know if Werdrick is playing in Wisconsin for the 2014-15 season . . . just ask him

For those on the bubble they will need to be prepared up until the end anyway, as there are often other reasons besides multiple-state qualifying leading to reasons why a player can't attend the State Championship. Looks like last year Wisconsin went down to 28th place in the standings to fill 16 spots, and I see a bunch of names above that where Wisconsin was the only state that player qualified in . . . and they still didn't attend.

Play hard until 12/31/14, and let the chips fall where they may.

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

I don't think that will be the case this year. The number of players that know + care about IFPA ranking is much greater now.

Good to hear! That means our evil plan is working [insert evil laugh]

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

I would argue that Pingolf is a very good assessment of player skill, since a properly-run Pingolf tournament sets pars that weed out the best from the average and the terrible players. Would this not be considered a quality format?

There's no particular format that is considered "quality". A Pingolf format where players play one hole wouldn't be graded highly. It's more about the details of the format. A Pingolf round with 9 holes played grades out at 36%. A Pingolf round with 18 holes played grades out at 72%.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

Also, since we usually use Pingolf as a qualifier for an elimination finals, how does this hybrid approach affect the quality assessment?

As long as the field is reduced by at least 50% from the Pingolf qualifying round, you get to include the number of games played in the Pingolf round, plus the number of games played in the finals in the game count put towards the grading percentage.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

I agree that small home events with 5 players should not carry the same weight (look at the recent shift in rankings for Missouri for an example of that), but what about large home events in places like Maine and Florida?

By requiring a minimum of 16 players for a residential event, we're hoping that cities with residential hosts that like to open their collections up to large groups of players will be able to continue to run as many events as they want. JR up in Maine comes to mind at the top of that list.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from lytfyre:

Mind confirming my math here, if I'm understanding correctly?

For Vancouver's Weekly Whopper Wednesdays:
    (http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1184#results).

~50 people = 25 point base
    TVA seems to have been ~= 8 points when most of the higher rated Vancouver players make it.

subtotal: 33 points.

Two loss elimination, Swiss format.
    Looking at past results seems to have usually been 10 games to win it.
    10*4% = 40% Adjustment

33*40% = 13.2 points?

A two-strike tournament with 50 players would include 13 rounds maximum, so that would be the count we would use for grading purposes.

That would put the value of the tournament at:

33 * 52% = 17.16 points . . . every single Wednesday. At 52 weeks a year, that would have Whopper Wednesdays distributing 892.32 WPPR points during a calendar year under the new system
    (compared to the current system where Whopper Wednesdays gets 25 points to award for the entire year)

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Running my own simple calculations, it looks like it would be beneficial to submit after each league event. Even with 32-40% grading compared to 100% for waiting til the end of the season, the TVA of the group makes it worth it if at least 9 players show up. Of the 17 players in the league, 7 should be addint 1.268 TVA as of today.

Is TVA the same in monthlies under the current system? D&D's monthly last month was worth 2.21. If I had to guess, the regulars would have a TVA af about 2, give or take. Most of them are in my league, so I have the 1.268, then a few other players tossed in there. Is TVA not added, but weighted, in current periodic events?

The TVA from the last D&D Monthly (July) was actually 1.54 points. The total event value was 2.21 points for the month, this included 2.08 base points (25 divided by 12) + the TVA 1.54 points divided by 12.

WPPR v5.0 doesn't divide anything out, so if you assume this same monthly graded out at 32-40% under the new system, this past July tournament would have been worth:

18 players = 9 base points
    TVA = 1.54 points
    Gross Total Value = 10.54
    Grading percentage = 32-40%
    Net Total Value = 3.37 - 4.22 points for the month

The decision for leagues will be whether they want to focus on state points for the SCS, or rankings points for the WPPR global rank of the players. Personally in Chicago, if our league switched to submitting monthly results, no single month would have a chance at being included in my top-20 resume, so they would become worthless to play (for me).

Is it better to have 1 event worth 25 points, or 12 events worth 3-4 points each?

That's the question many local player bases will have to answer under the new system, and that answer will differ greatly depending on who is interested in racking up SCS points, and who is interested in moving up the world ranking chart.

#225 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

On the issue of the resume, do events count towards SCS if they are off the resume? For those leagues that are weekly, if they reported each one, would only a player's top 20 count towards SCS, assuming they did no other events?

SCS standings are uncapped. All events within the state count, regardless of whether they are on your top-20 active list that determines your world ranking.

Quoted from desertT1:

What is Eff % derived from? Mine is: Eff percent: 1674th 10.21%. I have no idea how to use that information. I know how it works in terms of motors and physics, but not quite sure how it's being used/calculated by IFPA.

Eff% is the WPPR points you've earned, divided by the WPPR points available at the events you've played in.

#226 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

good question.

If I play in 50 events in WI for a single year, do they all count towards SCS?

Yup yup . . . if you look at some of the states, many players already have more than 15 events included in their SCS standings . . . and it's only August

#231 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Did I miss something? I thought your top 15 counted toward you WPPR, not top 20. Is this another part of the change for WPPR 5.0?

That will most likely be the change.

This is mostly due to the fact that periodic events were grouped together under 1 resume entry under the current system (so 12 monthlies only take up one spot this year, they will take up 12 spots next year). Side tournaments are also grouped together with Main tournaments currently, and that will change as well.

Looking at your 'top 15' resume currently, breaking out those events under WPPR v5.0, and it would count as 26 events. Most players have a similar breakdown, so expanding to a 'top 20' will allow us to capture more of that data and put it to good use to help calculate your world ranking.

#233 9 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

I am just hoping that this will not encourage people to game the system. Right now, it's nice to know that our location can do one annual tournament, plus one each of the sanctioned charity events. Our friends in Springfield and Columbia generally do the same, giving everyone in the state roughly the same opportunity to compete. Right now, we don't have to worry about those maniacs in Springfield planning an Avalanche of events that forces us in St. Louis to follow suit just to keep up. How do we ensure opportunity remains equivalent?

People have gamed the WPPR system with every iteration, and I expect it to continue. The one thing we're hoping is that to game v5.0, it's going to involve running a 'better quality event'. Past exploits involved adding side tournaments whenever possible, made up of the shortest formats an organizer could come up with.

As far as ensuring the opportunity remains equivalent, that is personally something I feel is a negative about the current system. One of the IFPA's main objectives is to motivate organizers to run as many events as possible to help spread the word about competitive pinball. By limiting those opportunities to one annual event, and the charity events, we're designed a system that went against that mission of getting more events created.

If Springfield runs an avalanche of events, should they not be rewarded for that additional time and effort? If it 'forces' you guys in St. Louis to do the same, that's exactly what we're hoping for.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

Also, I wonder how this will shift the balance between leagues and tournaments. I love tournaments, and as I get better, I enjoy them more and more. But, I can tell you that the average player in our neck of the woods enjoys league play more than tournaments because it's easier to participate in small chunks. It'll be nice to potentially have leagues be more valuable, but do you foresee this removal of the cap affecting the decision to run more tournaments at the detriment of league play?

Considering the system doesn't distinguish between what a 'league' or 'tournament' is, ultimately I don't think it's going to matter. If I run a league that meets once a month, or a I run a monthly tournament . . . it's still 12 times I'm getting out and playing. With respect to the WPPR points available, it's up to the organizers to submit those 12 meetings as ONE BIG EVENT, or twelve little events. There are pros and cons for submitting it either way.

There has never been a cap on the SCS qualifying process, so I expect things to not really change from where they are now. Those that got out and played in the most events definitely put themselves in an advantageous position to qualify for the State Championship, and that will still be the case under v5.0.

#237 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It actually pisses me off that our local location guy @ Nickelrama turns off the coin drop without us even asking. Okay, sure, they charge 3$ to get in the door, but you know people are playing way more than three bucks worth when they show up AND to boot his games are normally TWENTY CENTS A GAME!!!

I've been through that same thing everywhere I've started up events. Nearly 100% of the time I get offered to have them set all the games to free play for the evening since we're bringing a bunch of people in.

It's like NOOOOOO GUY, the idea is this is going to be the best night of the week FOR YOU.

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Seriously going to say that an event like this wouldn't even qualify for points AT ALL is just crap...at least SIX of the players in this went to state champs.... not because they were exploiting points by having a tournament at a house, but because they were good. The other five guys in that tourney all beat me at state champs AFAIK so it's not like I'm doing a very good job of sandbagging, I guess...

http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1177&e=&d=2013-12-15#results

All six players would have qualified for state champs anyway, even if this tournament didn't count for points, so I don't think anyone is arguing that tournaments like this are the only reason you guys made the cut.

In fact I think it goes in the opposite direction and proves that the house restriction won't impact 'good players' from making the cut, but it will certainly help 'bad players' from being able to accumulate points easily from their house with a small group of friends. If you want to play in tournaments with <16 players for points, we simply ask you do it at a public venue. If you want to play in a tournament at your house, do it for fun, because you won't need those points to qualify for state.

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

If you run two tournaments in the same facility, the same day and for the same players (what is now known as main and side) do they register independently. Meaning that their WPPR impact would be the same as it would were the two tournaments run at two different dates (given same turnout).

Yes. These two tournaments wouldn't be considered linked together, or shared together whatsoever even if they were at the same venue, same day, same players. As organizer of a show could offer 5, 10, 15, or 20+ tournaments as part of their show weekend, and each one would grade out separately.

Quoted from soren:

I got lost regarding the restrictions relating over/under 16 players, residential/commercial location, invitation only/public-open event etc. What type of events will not be endosed? And what types will under restrictions of either number of events per year or WPPR base value being divided over more events. As things are planned right now understandable.

The only current proposed limitation is that a residential location must have 16 players or more to be IFPA endorsed. Everything else regarding IFPA endorsement still stands from the current system (open to anyone to participate - so no restrictions based on skill/gender/age/etc, and must be on the IFPA calendar a minimum of 30 days prior to the tournament.

Quoted from soren:

I actually have an additional question. Will events still have to be annouced at least 30 days in advance? And if you have to postpond the event say a week for some reason, say 2 weeks before the new date, will that disqualify the event regarding WPPR.

I mean, is the 30 days rule really that important now. If you run things sloppy you risk a poor turnout anyway. And thus not much WPPR action either.

Tournaments must still be announced with at least 30 days notice. In fact, the new IFPA calendar submission process on our site will not allow users a chance to pick a date that is prior to 30 days into the future. If you have to postpone an event that was already on the IFPA calendar, this is something that is perfectly acceptable. We've seen this happen due to bad weather, or the host had another commitment pop up, etc.

The 30 day rule is still important, because we want to continue to encourage people finding out about tournaments, and having enough time to make travel arrangements to attend. We don't want to run into large local groups planning events just for themselves, without giving everyone else in the world a chance to participate should they happen to be in the area at that future time.

#248 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I'll have to think about this 16-person minimum rule for events at a residence -- I doubt the host of the Garage Gauntlet has any desire to host tourneys at his place on a high frequency basis.

What's the harm in allowing people to have some events at their home, because the WPPR5.0 formula already adequately nerfs the points both from a # of players perspective and # of games perspective.

The Garage Gauntlet host may not have any desire to host tourneys on a high frequency basis, but I've already received emails from multiple people that absolutely plan on hosting 100+ events if they can. The idea of telling them, go ahead, but you better find 15 friends just as committed as you are to show up that often makes it an easier WPPR exploit for me to stomach.

The WPPR v5.0 formula will certainly nuke the values of these home events, but in aggregate if left unleashed, small group of people could rack up hundreds of SCS points from the privacy of their own home. If I play a best-of-25 match against my son every night after I come home from work, I can collect .5 WPPR points X 365 days a year. That would certainly be enough for me to qualify for Illinois.

We always have to prepare for a rule to be exploited to this kind of level, because people will push those limits, especially in the late part of the year when the SCS qualifying heats up.

#250 9 years ago

Every single tournament will be its own listing on a players resume. No events of any kind will be combined together and listed as one entry on a resume.

Any previous tournaments that included and Main + Side will now count as 2 separate tournaments.

#252 9 years ago

An 'event' needs to be on the IFPA calendar. They can then run an unlimited number of tournaments at the event.

PAPA for example would submit the event and then run their 4 tournaments at that event no problem.

It will be important for the comments within the calendar entry to list out the details of each tournament to be held at the event. This will allow us to pre-grade the tournaments as best as possible to give players an idea of the value.

1 week later
    #255 9 years ago

The entire new system is based on there no longer being terms called "Annual" or "Side" tournaments . . . there are only "Tournaments".

The 'guaranteed minimum base' has been the biggest thing stopping me from having supported a move like this in the past . . . for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Without a way for the organizers to promote that they are awarding at least "X" WPPR's, will someone choose to no longer participate in the tournament?

With the growth of not only the number of events we're seeing submitted on an annual basis, but also the average player count at these events continuing to reach all-time highs every time we run the calculation, I've been convinced to give this 'no minimum base' a try.

There's no doubt this is going to make for a more accurate ranking system, and we will have to wait and see what the impact is on the participation in established and new tournaments.

IMO the confidence in the value of an event will now have to come from the organizers themselves. Rather than saying "No matter who shows up, or how crappy of a tournament we run, you're gonna get 25+12.5 base points" . . . organizers will have to move to new ways to promote.

If I was promoting an event under WPPR v5.0, I would focus on the things I can control:

"Our format is designed to grade out at 100% according to the IFPA's grading system of tournament quality"
    "Based on last year's player count, we estimate a base value of X"

Pre-registering is also a great strategy to use in promoting the number of players that have signed up, which will only continue to grow the base value you can advertise. I know that we often give slight discounts for tournaments we run to have players pre-register, mostly just to know logistically how big of a field we'll need to handle, but the WPPR v5.0 benefit of this shouldn't be overlooked either.

The biggest hurdle for players to understand is that 25 points isn't going to be the new 'average' by a long shot. Looking at the median value of player counts over the last 3 years of events, and if you have an event of over 20 players, you are above average with respect to that count. That puts 10 base points as the new average value if you're getting a typical average number of participants. It's then up to the organizer to maximize that grading percentage based on their format.

I've been playing competitive pinball since 1993, which gave me 13 years of competing with no WPPR's. Somehow players found a way to justify the travel and hotel costs for simply the competition. I'm hoping players will continue to play in the events they want to play in, knowing that the value of that tournament will be based on factors that will grade their performance at the event more appropriately than before.

#256 9 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

Another concern I have heard about the unlimited model is the potential for player fatigue. I can foresee a small group of point-grubbers organizing several events, more for the purpose of boosting score, and less in the service of the players in the area. While most of us enjoy participating in tournaments, few of us have the time to devote to a tournament several times a month, especially when you have to travel a couple hours for those events. We saw that with our Oursler/Python events, which were just a few weeks apart. We had great attendance for the first event, and about half the attendance for the next. The reason most people cited was that they just couldn't spare another weekend away from their families and other commitments for another tournament.

The player fatigue is going to happen regardless, and if our purpose is to help create as many events as possible (again, to help promote the sport) . . . the limited model we currently have has really started to hurt this cause.

The unlimited model puts it into the hands of the organizers and players to simply do whatever the want. The idea is that there will be groups that focus on running very few events, but at a really high quality to hopefully draw in locals and out of town players for big WPPR values. There will be other smaller groups of players that will see this as an opportunity to run 100+ events a year at the local bar, for 1-2 WPPR points each meeting . . . and that's fine too.

I know we have a few monthly tournaments around here in Chicago, and the owners I've talked with have begged for them to become weekly tournaments because of the increased earnings and traffic those locations get on 'pinball night'.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

Of those 26,000, I would bet that casual to moderately-competitive players account for at least 22,000 of those players. If I'm a casual player, I might be turned off by the overly competitive nature of the scene. And, if I'm a decent player who wants to be competitive but just doesn't have the opportunity to devote massive amounts of time, I might decide that it's more trouble than it's worth. I see these two attitudes in our community, and I worry that these new rules would augment that sentiment and alienate all but the hardcore players.

IMO having more events available only gives those moderately-competitive players more opportunities to choose when they would like to play. The only tangible thing at play here is SCS qualifying, where the unlimited number of tournaments will absolutely have an impact on the qualifying for each state. I will argue that anyone who is interested in pursuing one of those 16 SCS spots is past someone that is beyond moderately-competitive. It will be up to them to earn their SCS points through playing well in the bigger events and socking away WPPR points, or getting out there a ton and accumulating points 1-2 at a time in the hopes of earning one of those spots.

For Illinois I'm not exactly sure if our 'big events' will be enough for me to even qualify in the top 16. Personally I hope that I won't have to make the weekly circuit to try and rack up enough Illinois SCS points to qualify, but as the IFPA President that's something I absolutely want to see happen. If we end up making even the smallest local events important to even the best players in the state, I think it's a great way to motivate players to compete in more events.

I get the fatigue and I get the potentially de-motivating aspect for certain players, but I would rather have a system that leaves that choice up to the players to decide, rather than designing a system that really limits the WPPR points available and using that as a crutch to try and keep the dedicated players happy in not worrying about the explosion of potential local events on the horizon.

#258 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This system may end up being more "fair" in terms of grading out tournaments, but it already feels like all the "fun" for all but the most elite of players is going to be sucked right out of it.

I actually think the elite players are in the most trouble with respect to the SCS (not their World ranking).

If a small group of players want to go hang out at a bar every night of the week for fun, they can now submit that tournament to count every single night. Over the course of the year I think these casual players that are interested in simply playing a ton 'for fun', but now having it counted, will have a huge impact on the SCS standings.

I'm with you that I only focus on big tournaments right now. The thought of actually being 'forced' to play in some of the smaller local events in order to stay relevant in the Illinois SCS worries me quite a bit. It doesn't scare me that I have to get out and play more . . . but it does scare me to potentially have to explain to my wife why I really need to go to some random Tuesday night tournament instead of helping with the kids

I'm interested to see how it all plays out. I think it's very easy for people to SAY they plan on organizing hundreds of tournaments all over the place, but when it comes time to actually putting in the the time and effort to do so, I don't think the competitive pinball landscape will change that drastically compared to how it sits today.

#260 9 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Maybe limit the number of tournaments that count toward your SCS rank? Just like the world rank. This would prevent or least make any "grinding" or abuse of the new system obsolete (a little bit anyway). Yeah you could run a tournament every week to pad your score but if only 10-20 of them count than at some point it would become pointless in terms of just trying to rack up SCS points, quality of the tournaments you win would become important again, just like it is for your WPPR.

IMO this hinders the potential growth for more local events, which is something the SCS was specifically designed for. I want the grinding of events locally because I think that's great for the locations where these events are being held.

My biggest issues with abuse or exploitation of the WPPR system in the past have been from people finding cheap ways to get more points with little to no additional effort. I'm pleased that any exploitation under the new system won't be accomplished without a ton of effort from organizers, and that's something I'm perfectly fine with.

This also helps the WPPR Rank and SCS help serve different purposes, and cater differently to various skill levels. I don't mind the SCS being about point accumulation and having the ability for that player's World ranking to not be inflated in the process.

The feedback I got from last year from lower ranked players was that the SCS finally gave them a motivation to compete for something. While it required them to get out and play more (IMO a good thing) . . . it gave them an opportunity the WPPR system simply didn't give them to help compete with players more skilled compared to themselves. Knowing they could always just 'play more' to move themselves up the SCS standings is a nice thing to have when trying to promote increased turnout.

#262 9 years ago

Forgot to mention that the 'unlimited local event' decision also helps us solve the biggest complaint of the SCS during the first year . . . which was out-of-staters dropping in for one tournament, and earning enough WPPR points at that one event to qualify themselves for the whole year.

With the focus being on in-state players, and the idea of tracking/verifying mailing address for players being a logistical nightmare, the idea of unleashing and unlimiting the opportunities for local players to create and play in more events helps to minimize the impact that a big regional/national event has on the SCS standings for that particular state.

#265 9 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

Josh, I understand your point, but I am truly concerned that people won't find "more" to be "better." There is such thing as too much of a good thing: think about Guitar Hero and music games, or Steve Guttenberg and Dabney Coleman in the 80's. Too much is exhausting to all but the most singular of focus.

The difference with this analogy was that Activision was a company pushing Guitar Hero brands down to the consumer. They didn't require the consumers themselves to do the work.

If people won't find "more" to be "better" . . . those are the people that the IFPA relies on for events to even exist in the first place. If people find it too exhausting to organize and play in so many events . . . then those events won't exist in the first place, or the turnout will be so low that the WPPR impact for each event will be minimal. You can't simply create 100+ events out of thin air, without the local group of organizers and players to support it.

The IFPA isn't creating these unlimited number of tournaments by pressing some easy button like skinning Guitar Hero to now be the "Aerosmith" edition. We are empowering organizers to do more, and if they do, they will be rewarded for that effort.

We'll of course have to see what happens. We already have organizers running weekly tournaments at their locations (Full Tilt Ballard comes to mind in Seattle). Rather then them needing to split their 25 base points over the year in 1/2 point increments, under the new system they are being rewarded for having a tournament that is consistently available for players to participate in. I can't imagine the turnout of their events being any worse under the new system, but I guess it is possible should it change the tenor of their weekly event.

#270 9 years ago

TOPS tournaments would be fine if they are on the calendar. Assuming open qualifying for more than 20 hours, along with the one game of data used to determine the standings, it would grade out to 24%.

Depending on the number of players documented, a 40 player tournament would have a base value of roughly 5 points.

#274 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

In all seriousness, the biggest thing I want to know is about Trent #2. He's my favorite player to follow rankings-wise.

Trent #2 has been on a roll lately. He would be ranked 23rd with 501.03 WPPR points.

The sleepers are really Trent #3, #4 and #5 all of which are moving up the rankings at a record clip:

Trent #3 - 298.19 WPPR points (ranked 109th)
    Trent #4 - 216.71 WPPR points (ranked 178th)
    Trent #5 - 129.40 WPPR points (ranked 379th)

As for the one ball tournaments, all 700 Pinburgh players could play a 1-ball tournament on Aquarius, and it would grade out to 0% [only full games of pinball count 3/5 ball play, only exception being Pin-Golf]

See you in the morning . . . flight lands at like 9am.

1 month later
    #287 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Are BOTH formulas used and combined to determine the points for each position?

Is that 10/100 in the first formula based on the first bullet point where a new player is assigned a 10% ranking?

Where is that number coming from for existing players? Is it the ranking within the group based on their IFPA ranking?

I can get the first formula to work in Excel, but it doesn't look right. The second one doesn't work as is and wehn POWER is used in place of POW, the syntax isn't proper for Excel. I don't know enough about Excel to disect what is causing the failure.

I am the organizer for the Tucson Pinball League, and have put together a spreadsheet for the league members to get a feel for TVA that we collectively bring to the table. It's slightly tedious but only a few minutes of work. If there was a way to hit up the IFPA site to find those values (individuals' ranking and rating), that would be awesome.

I also would love to be able to figure out how many points everyone will get in future events (where I know the results because I have the picture of standings from the day of), but have that before they make it to the site. It's really not that long of a delay, but I'd love to be able to have an idea where I am in the state as soon as I enter the data.

Also, anyone want to put the second formula into Excel or Googel Sheets (spreadsheet in Drive) format for me?

The formula we use for the distribution of WPPR points will not be changing from 2014. The value of 1st place is the only thing being changed with respect to the new formula being introduced.

As for the mechanics of the formula and trying to pre-calculate what the value and distribution is going to be . . . that's beyond my comprehension of how that all works.

When we used to do a flat 25-15-10-5 for the top 4 finishing positions, I was all over pre-calculating the value for events. Now that we're in crazy dynamic math formula land, I don't even try

#290 9 years ago

Hilton - Nothing is available yet, but I can break it down for you pretty quick:

Base value = 1/2 point per player
    Number of meaningful games played = 4% added to the Tournament Grading Percentage (TGP) for each game played

There's the time component for tournaments that have unlimited qualifying opportunities, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in those kind of formats.

With respect to cutting the field in half, this is what constitutes a 'qualifying round' versus a 'seeding round'.

For example, if you have 24 people, you can play a qualifying round of 6 games, but unless the field is reduced to 12 finalists or less, those games aren't included in the TGP total.

So assuming the 24 people in your example. That's 12 base points. The TGP would then be 6 games played for qualifying, and then assuming that reduces the field by half, playing another 2 games in a playoff would make it 8 games total, or 32% TGP.

This would be a Net Base Value of 3.84 WPPR points for the winner of the event.

If you allowed all 24 players to advance to the 'finals', then the qualifying process would not count, make the Net Base Value 0.96 WPPR points for just the 2 playoff games played.

Josh

#292 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

For our monthly at Pooleys we currently play 4 games. Your qualifying position from playing those 4 games puts you into a 4-pack and you can do no better or worse than your 4 pack qualifying slot.

I.e. qualify in 6th place and you play with the 5, 6, 7, 8 4-pack and have a 2 game playoff. Win both games and you finish 5th. Lose both and you finish 8th.

Does that fit the bill for a qualifying round?

We would include these in the TGP count. You eliminated more than 50% of the players from their ability to win the tournament (assuming you have more than 4 players that show up).

So the Pooley's TGP would be 24% (6 games total).

Looking at the September 10th results, it would break down like this:

- 22 players --> 11 base WPPR points
    - TVA --> 2.37 WPPR points
    - Gross Base Value = 13.37
    - TGP --> 24%
    - Net Base Value = 3.21 WPPR points (compared to the 2.28 WPPR points you got for winning under the current system)

#294 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you run the MRP main and side event from last weekend to show the comparison of how they would rate out in the new system?

Sure can! (Assuming I have the formats correct)

MRP Main event - 18 hole pingolf?
    - 62 players --> 31 base WPPR points
    - TVA --> 8.66 WPPR points
    - Gross Base Value = 39.66
    - TGP --> 72% (18 holes @ 4% per hole)
    - Net Base Value = 28.56 WPPR points

MRP Side event - 1 qualifying game + 3 playoff games? Unlimited qualifying from 10am-6pm?
    - 62 players --> 31 base WPPR points
    - TVA --> 8.66 WPPR points
    - Gross Base Value = 39.66
    - TGP --> 24% (4 games @ 4% per game + 8 hours of unlimited qualifying attempts @ 1% per hour)
    - Net Base Value = 9.52 WPPR points

#296 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

MRP main event is correct format. Next year if we do an additional top 4 or 8 playoff for Golf then what would the difference in value be?

Additional top 4 playoff, assuming single-game matches would add 2 games to the TGP. Additional top 8 playoff, assuming single-game matches would add 3 games to the TGP.

TGP would be increased from 72% to either 80% or 84%, so the value would increase from 28.56 WPPR points to either 31.73 or 33.31 WPPR points.

Quoted from Whysnow:

MRP side event was 2 games for qualifying = 2 playoff games
    What woudl it be if we did unlimited qualifying from 5-11pm on Friday and 9:30 to 6:30 on Sat?

The Side tournament format sounds like you took the top 8 from either machine for the finals? This would only require one score from a player to advance, so it would be considered 1 meaningful game played for the TGP calculation. If you did a sum of game scores from both games to qualify, then you would be requiring both pieces of data to be used in the qualifying portion.

If you did unlimited qualifying from 5-11pm on Friday and 9:30-6:30 on Saturday, that would be 15 hours. This would increase the previous calculation I did by 7%, up to 31% TGP. Net Base Value would increase from 9.52 WPPR points to 12.29 WPPR points.

#298 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just for clarity, side tournament required both games be played for qualifying and used combined rank on each game to determine top 8 in side event. Those in side event playoff (top played in a single elim playoff which meant 2 games to win.

Gotcha . . . bump TGP up by 4% and you'll have your new totals. It's just that easy!

#300 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

Josh, there are some crazy formats used here in Japan that I don't know how they'll grade out--have you been in touch with Horiguchi-san about the changes?

I have been in touch with Harry. 3 months left to make sure everything is communicated as clearly as possible . . . and I may need most of that time to get him used to all the changes (calendar and results submission process as well).

Quoted from Excalabur:

The first is for 'Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!': the event is timed. There is one match being played on each machine at all times. The loser of each game stays on the game, unless they lose two in a row in which case the winner stays on. The other player goes to the back of the not-currently-playing queue and awaits an opening to play more games, with the player winning the most games in three clock hours winning the tournament.

The only way I could see grading this is actually tracking all the games played by each player, and going with the player that played the most games as the TGP count.

Quoted from Excalabur:

Second, there's a monthly 'high score tournament' that aggregates the high scores on six machines every month--I assume this is 12%, or does the very long qualifying time help?

The unlimited qualifying all month definitely helps. That adds 20% to TGP just for that (>20 hours). Using all 6 games would add 24% to the TGP, so the total would grade out to 44% TGP.

Quoted from Excalabur:

Third, the 'normal tournaments' run here are as follows:
    First, a qualifying round is played: each player plays each machine once.
    Then players are divided into even and odd qualifiers and draft machine-positions: the first player can choose any player number on any machine, then the 2nd on any remaining machine, which is added to the other side of the bracket, and so on, with three machines on each side and all the odd-finishers in once side and the even finishers on the other. If there are fewer than 24 players, then a second machine-position is chosen starting from the last qualifier and working upwards, and then a third starting from first and working downwards. Thus, a given player might be playing in 1, 2, or 3 games depending on the draft.

All matches are played simultaneously, and the winners move on. Two machines on each side feed a quarterfinal, whose winner plays the last machine's winner in a semifinal. The two semifinal winners play for the title. As an amusing side-note each playoff round is played on the older of the two machines feeding that round.

If a player would play himself in a playoff round, he recieves a bye instead.

I'm insanely confused by this one

I would say the qualifying round does not count, since it sounds like all the players are simply getting seeded for the actual tournament. From there, it would most likely come down to counting the actual number of matches played by the players (including the bye as a game played), and taking the player with the most games played as the count for TGP.

Josh

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-are-used-for-tournaments?tu=ifpapinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.