Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Which games are most frequently seen in tournaments?

World Cup Soccer, Twilight Zone, The Addam's Family, Dirty Harry, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars to name a few

Quoted from Russell:

Are there games that are never seen in tournaments? Why?

Yes. Because they often have a playfield design that bottlenecks gameplay (upper playfied of WWF) or a fatal software bug.

1 week later
    #179 9 years ago

There is one danger here with WPPR5.0. The data tracking commitment. This is what doomed PARS even though it was a mathematically fair system. It was difficult to keep track of individual match outcomes. Rather than just providing who won and lost, the tournament director needed to also provide the win-loss record. Furthermore, it was tedious to enter all of these win-loss results even when they were provided since there were so many to enter into the system. The end result was a system which failed because of the large queue of unentered results and the large number of situations where win-loss records either were unknown or too exhausting to obtain by continuous requests for this information from each and every tournament director who failed to provide this information.

Enter the original WPPR system: easy to implement and the tournament director just needed to provide the finishing position of each player. Kaboom!! Pinball is now running on all cylinders because of this genius system, tournaments are everywhere and it is now starting to cascade into increasing pinball locations in most large metro areas. But now the pendulum swings toward an attribute (data minutia) which has been incontrovertibly demonstrated historically by PARS not to work as described above. I just hope this does not undo all the IFPA's hard and magnificent work.

I totally get that it is desirable to reduce backyard tournament point inflation and increase accuracy. So I guess there has been a shift in philosophy towards accuracy, rather than the original primary goal of increasing the popularity of competitive pinball which the earlier system addressed perfectly. Time will tell if this adjustment gives the worst of both worlds since tournament directors might just submit results the way they always submit them and get the low point treatment of the new system even though the tournament might have a lot of great players involved, thereby not only impeding popularity but also accuracy.

#183 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

huh? why do you bring up individual results? you just need the format and the players and outcome. The only thing 'new' is outlining the format.. which is the same for everyone.

As a comparison to having to now keep track of # of games played and time spent from beginning to end. I'm just saying that the more metrics (individual records was the stat drag in PARS), the less likely you will be to get accurate submissions (which is the whole point of WPPR5.0).

Quoted from mhs:

PARS failed because the submission system was awful. If it was automated by the DTM software, which didn't exist at the time, PARS could have been twice as complex and fully functional. If WPPR 5.0 streamlines the bottleneck of entering data, it will be a big improvement in many ways.
    Entering one tournament for PARS required many, many lines of data in a very specific format all submitted as a text file. Something as simple as a typo could cause big headaches. WPPR 5.0 is a web-submission form, and from what I've seen, it doesn't even come close in complexity. Coming from someone who has seen the backend of both systems, the two don't compare with regard to simplicity.

Great, so I guess we'll be seeing a resurgence of PARS.
    Regardless, having to keep track of individual records (versus just whether a player advanced) doesn't change regardless of the interface; and it was a big factor.

I'm hoping the new system is a big success. It's got some big shoes to fill, made by its predecessor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-are-used-for-tournaments?tu=SolarRide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.