Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by finman2000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Since I'm approaching the end of my STTNG project, I find I enjoyed the process quite a bit! Asking myself what game I want to restore next as a project! Since parts availability is such a huge factor in a restore project, I wanted to ask the board what games are worthwhile to find and repair, while also having a steady parts supply?

I love Xenon just from the artwork. Have also always enjoyed Funhouse, but as I understand it it's a nightmare to keep running.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

Since I'm approaching the end of my STTNG project, I find I enjoyed the process quite a bit! Asking myself what game I want to restore next as a project! Since parts availability is such a huge factor in a restore project, I wanted to ask the board what games are worthwhile to find and repair, while also having a steady parts supply?
    I love Xenon just from the artwork. Have also always enjoyed Funhouse, but as I understand it it's a nightmare to keep running.

FWIW, I didn't find funhouse a nightmare to keep running. The stuff going on inside Rudy's head is a bit fiddly to work with when something breaks there, but not impossible, and otherwise it's fine.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

FWIW, I didn't find funhouse a nightmare to keep running. The stuff going on inside Rudy's head is a bit fiddly to work with when something breaks there, but not impossible, and otherwise it's fine.

I've read the documentation on the clock, which seems to be solvable by resoldering transistors they originally wanted in development.

#4 2 years ago

I have steered to restoring machines i like.
    I rarely break even on a restoration so i always try choose a game i like to play.
    Then, i enjoy the restoration and enjoy the machine for a while in my collection.

#5 2 years ago

The best answer I can give is do a game you enjoy. I have and have had projects that just stall out or sit for months. I currently have a Taxi I took in that needs a hardtop or playfield swap. I'm trying a hardtop and I'm finding the whole process impossible to keep on track. I don't mind Taxi but can name 5 other system 11 game I would take over it. Your enthusiasm for the game (at least for me) tends to help keep the project moving forward instead of sitting in pieces in the basement for months.

#6 2 years ago

Any game that you're passionate about is rewarding. Whether you love the theme or if it's a throwback to your youth. Seeing a player condition game (or worse) come back to it's glory (or better) by a passionate collector is hard to beat.

Jaz

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

I've read the documentation on the clock, which seems to be solvable by resoldering transistors they originally wanted in development.

You sure you’re not talking about Twilight Zone???

The clock in Funhouse is playfield inserts and computer controlled lighting.

#8 2 years ago

White Water is a beauty when restored.

#9 2 years ago

I would say a Adams Family and a IJ are very rewarding(monetarily) after a restore. Also Fathom and Fishtales seem to fetch a premium after restore. Most restores with the hours involved are tough to break even on.

#10 2 years ago

If you enjoy the learning involved in a restoration, try a EM next. No problem sourcing parts via Pinball Resource.
    After restoring a couple of machines from the 80s and 90s , my last restoration was an EM. I learned a ton and met a lot of nice people in the process.
    I’ve always held on to my restorations because if I sold them it would be the equivalent of just handing a stranger a couple thousand dollars(and this isn’t including the cost of my time). I could never break even.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

You sure you’re not talking about Twilight Zone???
    The clock in Funhouse is playfield inserts and computer controlled lighting.

You are correct.

#12 2 years ago

The most rewarding restores are when you can take in a really trashed game and turn into something beautiful. Gottlieb wedge heads with all the metal polished on the bottom side of the playfield really look fantastic.

#13 2 years ago

The 90s WPC games are rewarding because they are pretty tired and dirty at this point if you can find one that hasn't been restored. Parts are available like never before including electronics and resale of restored games is high right now. I also love classic Bally/Stern and EMs. They are a lot of fun to play and parts are pretty easy to come by from Pinball Resource and others.

On the other end of the spectrum for me is anything Data East or pre-LOTR Stern/Sega. Junk design, especially DE, is not fun to deal with. Also, stay away from anything with cabinet made out of particle board unless the cab is in pristine condition and a game that you absolutely love.

#14 2 years ago

Anything dead that you drag out of someone's basement that has been sitting for years untouched. I enjoyed restoring GTB System 1 games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-are-rewarding-to-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.