(Topic ID: 219049)

What games allow you to collect bonus before draining?

By wonderpuddle

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NicoVolta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2cvmb4 (resized).jpg
    2cvlos (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180221_152254986-768x432 (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    flashgordon01 (2) (resized).jpg
    viking01 (3) (resized).jpg
    skateball01 (2) (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

Gottlieb Solar Ride

That's a solid state EM? What's the going rate on one of those?

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not trying to go off topic here, but what would be the best bang for your buck solid state EM I could buy?

Gottlieb Dragon.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

Gottlieb Dragon.

Not really a fan of the art package or artist in general on that one. Got anything in Bally or Williams?

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not trying to go off topic here, but what would be the best bang for your buck solid state EM I could buy?

Solid state EM?

#55 5 years ago

From what I understand they make them with DMDs now too.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Probably KODr. But good luck finding one for sale. Might cost you as much as Big Juicy Melons or Can Crusher.

#57 5 years ago

GTB Snow Derby/Queen
    was first EM with the end of ball collect bonus.

#58 5 years ago

Fireball II as well

#59 5 years ago

Stern Trident

#60 5 years ago

Williams Suspense. Hit one of the kick out holes then the spinner with the captive ball must come to rest on bonus. Then the score reels turn. No digital display...

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

Williams Suspense. Hit one of the kick out holes then the spinner with the captive ball must come to rest on bonus. Then the score reels turn. No digital display...

Sounds a lot like Fan-Tas-Tic

#62 5 years ago

Melody awards 10
    Pts per kickout hole plus 10
    Pts for each number color lit below it. When all 4 inserts are lit the kick out hole lights up and awards an added ball.

Duotron awards bonus points built up in the captive ball while the ball is in play.

#64 5 years ago

There are many Bally EMs in the silver age with this feature prior to the 1970s. Nip-It does not purely qualify as the playfield bonus is collected at ball drain, as it is added to lighted scoring. One of the earlier games is Capersville (1966), but many bonuses are collectable early such as Dixieland or Dogies (both 1968) or Joust (1969). Certain playfield ruleset conditions MUST be met. I would have to go through the entire list to find them all. I only specialize in Bally games, not Gottlieb or WMS, so there are certainly others.

There is no such animal as a "solid state EM", except in rare cases where you have a pure prototype conversion. It might look or play like an EM or even have components, but if a game operates under the electrical logic of an EM, it is an EM, a game cannot be classified as a SS. The same goes for a SS with ICs but still might have things like rotation score reels controlled by solenoids (or even motors), this is still a SS. This is a separate topic in itself and gets into some technicalities.

A good example would be Fabulous Fantasies (Herb Silvers) King of Diamonds Gottlieb remake. This is a SS, not an EM.
    Another would be Stern WNBJM (not Whizbang, as the original was a retheme EM) as this is a "conversion" but also SS.

#65 5 years ago

4 aces Williams.
    Ball is stopped by one of the two electromagnets under the playfield and released after bonus points are scored.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Allied Leisure's Boogie. One of the very first SS machines... they simply reproduced every em unit with a board. It looks way more complicated than an em would be. Loudest chimes ever. It's a fun game with drops in the middle of the playfield and outlane ball save gates. I got mine with a spare playfield for 175.

Also it isn't an old white guy theme

#68 5 years ago

Not an EM, but Hotdoggin' (Bally, 1980) has a disappearing kicker lane directly above the right outlane. The top center ("K") lane raises the kicker to collect the bonus when the ball settles into the now-blocked lane, afterwards the kicker retracts sending the ball back up into the bumpers.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I seem to remember demolition man letting you do this?

I think that's one of the game's Computer awards (lit every 10 combos - shoot underground just below the center ACMAG ramp).

#70 5 years ago

Williams Jive Time. The only way to collect the bonus is from the Spinner Awards. I hate this game!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from chippe01:

Williams Jive Time. The only way to collect the bonus is from the Spinner Awards. I hate this game!

Before we got used to end of ball bonus, it wasn't so bad. The rules and score were all based on that fact. It made what you did on the playfield all that more important.

Then, there was Bally giving you 1,000 bonus at the start of the ball. All you had to do is score 10 points and drain = 1,010.

#72 5 years ago

I didn’t see William’s Grand Prix mentioned. So there is one for the EM camp. There is left and right side bonuses and both can be collected on the PF.

Edit: I just saw it in the OP. Reading is indeed hard.

#73 5 years ago

Twin Win. Unless someone already said it.

#74 5 years ago

Sinbad

#75 5 years ago

On Shadow you can pull the trigger before draining on mongol to get 3 Million I believe.
    On Bride of Pinbot you can have extra ball lit and manipulate which lane is lit before draining (not really sure that counts though)

#76 5 years ago

Glad to see that RIF program is finally showing it’s true value.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There are many Bally EMs in the silver age with this feature prior to the 1970s. Nip-It does not purely qualify as the playfield bonus is collected at ball drain, as it is added to lighted scoring. One of the earlier games is Capersville (1966), but many bonuses are collectable early such as Dixieland or Dogies (both 1968) or Joust (1969). Certain playfield ruleset conditions MUST be met. I would have to go through the entire list to find them all. I only specialize in Bally games, not Gottlieb or WMS, so there are certainly others.
    There is no such animal as a "solid state EM", except in rare cases where you have a pure prototype conversion. It might look or play like an EM or even have components, but if a game operates under the electrical logic of an EM, it is an EM, a game cannot be classified as a SS. The same goes for a SS with ICs but still might have things like rotation score reels controlled by solenoids (or even motors), this is still a SS. This is a separate topic in itself and gets into some technicalities.
    A good example would be Fabulous Fantasies (Herb Silvers) King of Diamonds Gottlieb remake. This is a SS, not an EM.
    Another would be Stern WNBJM (not Whizbang, as the original was a retheme EM) as this is a "conversion" but also SS.

Don't understand what you're saying here regarding Nip It, because the bonus is collected at drain, or on the release of the Gator ball, and better yet, releasing the Gator ball scores the bonus but does not reset it. If you can keep locking the ball up you can really score some points.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Don't understand what you're saying here regarding Nip It, because the bonus is collected at drain, or on the release of the Gator ball, and better yet, releasing the Gator ball scores the bonus but does not reset it. If you can keep locking the ball up you can really score some points.

I do stand corrected, I just played my game.
    Nip-It does score the accumulated bonus with Ball Gator ball release for repeated scoring.
    I was thinking of another of the Ted Zale titles (Gator/Alligator), as it does not all offer this direct feature.

#79 5 years ago

Some pinsiders just live to troll

#80 5 years ago
    2cvlos (resized).jpg2cvlos (resized).jpg
    #81 5 years ago

The topic did not state "What other EM's", but the first post did.

Most of the solid state and DMD answers are from people that thought the topic asked the question IMO.

#82 5 years ago
    2cvmb4 (resized).jpg2cvmb4 (resized).jpg
    #83 5 years ago

Gottlieb Mayfair, two kickers between flippers

1 month later
    #84 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Sounds a lot like Fan-Tas-Tic

Speaking of which, Fan-Tas-Tic REQUIRES you to collect bonus before draining, or you get nothing!

Fan-Tas-Tic should win the “weirdest & most random EM” award (also helped by being a middle-pop game).

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-allow-you-to-collect-bonus-before-draining/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.