Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrSanRamon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've been kicking this around, and won't start tomorrow, but want to sort of lay out a plan to make a game when I retire next year.

So what base game (non-EM) would you suggest to start with.

Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Robert

#2 11 years ago

Supersonic would be my pick.

#3 11 years ago

Without singling out the aweful games out there,
    I'd say go w/ one that has: good game play & flow,
    enough playfield features to help fit your theme and keep you interested,
    a non-desirable machine w/ ugly artwork,
    thus can be purchased for a low to reasonable price.

Also, would you keep the same sounds?
    If so, you will want to avoid any machine w/ annoying sounds.

What theme are you thinking of for your custom pinball machine?
    Sounds like you will not be bored of life during your retirement.

#4 11 years ago

I would say any early solid state, ideally with at least one ramp (depending on what you like). I've seen both firepower and flash gorden used for rethemes, and they turned out great.

Honestly I don't think sound matters, I would disable the main sound, and use an mp3trigger board to do custom sounds:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11029

Don't even need to know how to use arduino programming. Just load up an SD card with 18 sounds, wire up the pins, and off you go!

#5 11 years ago

I've seen firepower 2 re-themed. looked better

#6 11 years ago

Ok, that board is cool. I have no clue about electronics, but I think the board above could easily do what I want. I want to wire this board in to my Flash Gordon to have it play a track whenever you turn it on, also would be nice to add a couple tracks to play upon certain things happening in the game. How difficult would this all be using that board ??? Anyone ?

#7 11 years ago

I played BBH this weekend for the first time and I hate to say it but it was pretty fun. Unfortunatly the theme sucks bad. I thought if Stern would have made this a zombie game it would have been a huge hit. So i guess BBH would be my pick if you had the money to do a newer game.

#8 11 years ago

Leaving us hanging robert!! What theme? At least a hint?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Honestly I don't think sound matters, I would disable the main sound, and use an mp3trigger board to do custom sounds

Yes, that would be what I was thinking for sounds and voice call outs.

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I'd say go w/ one that has: good game play & flow,
    enough playfield features to help fit your theme and keep you interested,
    a non-desirable machine w/ ugly artwork,

Yes, I'd like to get a few suggestions on this. I'm thinking of an early to mid solid state with either or both stand up & drop targets.

Robert

#10 11 years ago

Maybe a Raven...

ebay.com link: RAVEN PINBALL MACHINE BY PREMIER GOTTLIEB

Wouldn't feel too bad about sanding it down.

Robert

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

So i guess BBH would be my pick if you had the money to do a newer game.

Big Zombie Hunter...I like it!

Too bad the base machine is $4k.

Robert

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Some good suggestions in this thread:

A lot of good suggestions in that link and in the associated links.

I need to find one of those fugly pins for <$500, and I'll be set.

Robert

#14 11 years ago

There's been great success using Hollywood Heat as a donor pin.. the theme is terrible, but it's actually a great player. One of Steve Ritchie's favourites apparently.

Here's a H. Heat that was converted to an Evil Dead pin by a local guy here in Canada..

#15 11 years ago

It's hard to find a fugly pin, crept maybe a space shuttle. Can usually find a wrecked playfield and cracked toys/ramp for about $500 or less

#16 11 years ago

I'm thinking that there are a lot of different machines that would work, it's just finding one in good condition (for the things that matter: ramps, boards, etc) at a cheap price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-to-use-to-make-a-custom-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.