• Latest reply 10 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Iron Tron.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I like to learn new skills as a player. It's a big part of what makes pinball exciting for me. Thankfully, I still have much to learn, so I have a lot to look forward to. I enjoy the process of having the skills of a champion un-conceal themselves before my eyes one by one. It's a much slower process than I'd prefer, but at least it's happening. After one year of playing pinball regularly, I now officially don't suck. Some day, I hope to be able to compete at a high level. I know that's years away, but it's a possible goal to work on.

I think choosing the right games in my collection to help me get to the next level is important.

One thing I know for sure is the variety of games in my collection has made a huge difference. Each game in my collection has "forced" me to learn a new skill.

Typically, when I get a new game, it kicks my A$$. At some point, I get determined to beat the game -- and I put my head down and focus, and I force myself to learn something new. Over this xmas break, I got much better at a few skills by playing a ton of Cyclone and nothing else. I realized I've come a long way in a year -- I could barely beat the game a year ago, and now it's every 10th game or so. The game hasn't changed much -- (it's a little cleaner). My ability to predict bounces and the range of choices I have as a player have expanded.

What game in your collection taught you a new skill ? If it's been a long time for you since you've learned a new player skill, feel free to walk us through what games taught you what skills...

1. name the game the forced you to learn something new
2. name the skill you greatly improved while playing that game

I'll include a link to the top 25+ skills on ipdb to jar your memory: http://www.ipdb.org/playing/skills.html
-mof

#3 10 years ago

1-Avengers LE

2-Convincing my wife that I really needed to have it when she wants a new kitchen..

#4 10 years ago

1. Diner was my first game. I learned to not shoot directly at lower playfield targets in that one, when the risk was so high, instead focus elsewhere, and allow them fall with ricochet shots.
2. Whirlwind taught me to 'use the force', and keep those flippers still when the ball goes SDTM.
3. Taxi taught me the dead flipper pass -- that game is so fast, if you don't slow it down, you lose quickly. It's important to slow the ball in Taxi before taking the next strike.
4. Black Knight taught me to hold up an upper playfield flipper on a skill shot to influence ball speed when it comes out of the shooter lane
5. Space Station taught me to trap with flippers alone, with no inlanes to help slow the ball down

more to come...
-mof

#5 10 years ago

WOZ
The art of waiting and waiting

PinBot
Outlane nudging

F-14 Tomcat
Swearing and hitting the start button repeatedly

Black Knight
How to trap three balls with two flippers, hold one flipper with leg and grab a quick swig from the pingulp
(under-rated yet vital pin-skill)

#6 10 years ago

Lucky Hands.

It was the first game I I owned that had the open inlanes at the bottom. You had no choice but to drop catch...anything that rolled up the inlanes would drain

#7 10 years ago

STLE: taught me a new one i love to call, 'where the f*ck did my ball just go!?' Skill

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I could barely beat the game a year ago, and now it's every 10th game or so.

http://i.imgur.com/z5XOIad.png

#10 10 years ago

- Indiana Jones, Williams, Pinball Adventure
- The left flipper is so important for the jackpot ramps and the Hand of Fate, that it forced me to pass the pinball from the right to the left flipper (hold pass, bounce pass), as well as learning the backhand via the left flipper.

#11 10 years ago

Tron really taught me to use left hand dexterity. I am right handed and it took some time and practice to hit upper left flipper shot. Even when I don't play Tron for awhile it is difficult to get the hang of it again. It takes a couple warm up games. I love the upper left ramp shot-very satisfying.

Iron Man has taught me some good nudging technique with factory set outlanes. Also aiming the shot and reacting to Iron Monger.

Iron Tron.jpgIron Tron.jpg
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Over this xmas break, I got much better at a few skills by playing a ton of Cyclone and nothing else. I realized I've come a long way in a year -- I could barely beat the game a year ago, and now it's every 10th game or so

I got over 10mil (5 ball ), is that considered beating the game?

I learned about super skill shots when i owned (the first time around) a RFM. Now, it seems most newere DMD's have a super skill shot - just gotta figure them out.

#13 10 years ago

STTNG:
- how and when to outlane nudge. can't be explained. only learned through experience.
- to keep the ball going north and south on widebodies!! east and west is bad news! STTNG magnifies this concept with it's weirdly-shaped slings that funnel balls to the outlanes more than most other machines.
- how to analyze the scoring potential of a table. how to recognize exploitable mechanics: for example, the borg jackpot is built through pop bumper hits (and successful cannon shots during borg multiball), persists through the whole game, and has no ceiling. it's exploitable in certain setups, and in longer games dwarfs the Final Frontier in scoring potential.

Black Hole:
- when a ball is speeding towards your flippers, a dead pass is better than semi-random flailing. it slows the ball down, and often offers a cradle opportunity.
- intentionally shooting at not-yet-activated features can be immensely useful for purposes of control or lining up shots. (the unlit captive hole on the main playfield is great for setting up shots at the all-important 4 orange targets on the right side) this is a lesson that can be applied to many machines!
- how to not to break into uncontrollable sobbing when you finally, improbably, miraculously make it to Black Hole's notoriously rare multiball mode only to fail to drop any set of drop targets on the lower playfield and instantly lose 2 of the 3 balls, setting you back to square one.

#14 10 years ago

Fishtales taught me the art of backhanding. Ya have to to hit that tight bitch of an extra ball shot!

#15 10 years ago

I only own one pin (SST) and it's extremely fast for me. Pitch may be slightly high and the flippers have been rebuilt; perhaps this is why. I've had to teach myself everything on this one table and it's really slow going as a result. I can drop catch really well on all 3 flippers. However, the live catch is something I am having an insane time learning. I just don't think the table is set up to make it work to my advantage. If it's messed up, there's a high chance a slingshot will drain it through an outlane. Still attempting to learn to tap pass as well, but it's not easy. Owned the table for five years and still haven't beaten it (with casual play, a few games here and there). I think I need more tables to learn some different techniques.

#16 10 years ago

Sinbad taught me how to dead pass. No cradling with inline flippers.

Flip-A-Card taught me how to nudge.

Flash Gordon taught me how to cry.

#17 10 years ago

X-men made me a better player, you have to nudge like crazy to keep the ball alive. I also have much better aim for those tight shots.

#18 10 years ago

johnny mnemonic taught me to have finesse. so many targets in the game can be missed if your shot is too hard. fly over diverters, jump off ramps, roll over vuks. made me realize that a full power shot is not always appropriate.

the front three drop targets on blackout is where i practiced my response time. they serve it back at about eight million miles an hour. in fact even years later when lining up unknown ramp shots, ill look at the posts, imagine a missed shot, and prepare to act quickly on the chance that i hit them instead of the ramp.

even though i already knew the technique when i first played it, i recommend avatar for learning to slide or bump to avoid going sdtm. my local machine has the ball rolling perfectly stdm upon exiting the bumpers. wanna play the game? youre going to need to learn the slide or bump.

every game with an aux flipper taught me that if there is an aux flipper, whichever ramp or loop it leads to is usually the most lucrative in the game.

#19 10 years ago

I learned my basic techniques on Stern's Avatar. Things like the dead flipper bounce, and backhanding both lock shots. I learned most else of what I currently know from watching YouTube videos and seeing better players play live in front of me.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

X-men made me a better player, you have to nudge like crazy to keep the ball alive. I also have much better aim for those tight shots.

+1 X-Men and its 3rd flipper, also trying to hit the Ice man ramp. There such a challenge. I love it, it only makes me a better player.

#21 10 years ago

+1 to Xmen. The hardest game I've ever played.

#22 10 years ago

f-14 taught me that flipping the flippers willy nilly doesn't work well.

#23 10 years ago

Addams Family taught me that you can catch/trap balls out of ejects. (I also applied this to Funhouse... although this doesn't work on all machines, which I guess is another thing I learned from both of these machines

#24 10 years ago

Acdc: taught me control and the importance of planning an attack
Avengers: taught me shot accuracy

#25 10 years ago

popeye (my first pin) - learned drop catch by accident when lock shot ball out to right flipper. After that jackbot-shot were much more easier.

#26 10 years ago

Earthshaker and Checkpoint taught me how to shoot a ramp 100 times in a row.

#27 10 years ago

Paragon - Taught me how to tap pass.

AFM - Taught me how to drop catch and loop pass(well, still learning that one....)

TZ and Tron have helped me tremendously with the live catch.

#28 10 years ago

Star Trek - cradle ball on left flipper, hold right flipper up- SHOOT! Hopefully ball goes under upper right flipper back into shooter lane to start a new mission! Very rewarding shot I have never experienced before.

#29 10 years ago

WOZ taught me how to fix a pin.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

WOZ taught me how to fix a pin.

LOL-STTNG taught me

#31 10 years ago

Lord of the Rings taught me to love. Star Trek: The Next Generation taught me to believe in myself. Twilight Zone taught me patience. Star Trek LE taught me forgiveness.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

LOL-STTNG taught me

me too. it's not that it's built badly, it's just there are so many moving parts compared to other non-EM machines. Two rotating cannons, three VUKs, branching subways, and the borg lock shooter ... that's a lot of coils, diverters, motors, actuators, and general machinery. it's just law of averages there's always gonna be something on the cusp of failure, especially when those parts are over 20 years old at this point. i have learned much in the last year!

#33 10 years ago

6. Centaur taught me to really throw the machine around (those awesome outlane save posts and one-way gates) and challenge the tilt. You pretty much have to dance with Centaur to own it.

-mof

#34 10 years ago

STTNG taught me how brutal outlanes can be. More nudging done on this machine than probably any other.
IJ mode start hole taught me to find new ways to make shots not just one. Also taught me soft shots.
Flash Gordon taught me I was never any good at pinball to start with.
AFM made me realize I missed my true calling. ( I just know now that I was meant to save the world)

I think every title has taught me something. Some have taught me repairs

#35 10 years ago

Another one: T2 taught me to do tap-pass with WPC. Not perfect but doable and pretty safe when get hold of it. Won't work on all machines, usually easier with games that has leaf-switches on flipperbuttons.

#36 10 years ago

Not sure why but i always been a very good player on CFTBL. It feels like alot diffrent from other WMS games (Sure smaller flippers). However it learned me to take it slow and easy...! If you play to fast on this game you will get bashed (Atleast i do) So it did teach me to slow things down a bit. Sure i often have a problem taking it slow on other games

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit:

Not sure why but i always been a very good player on CFTBL. It feels like alot diffrent from other WMS games (Sure smaller flippers). However it learned me to take it slow and easy...! If you play to fast on this game you will get bashed (Atleast i do) So it did teach me to slow things down a bit. Sure i often have a problem taking it slow on other games

Not to pin-police, but I believe they are standard size flippers placed slightly further apart on the playfield than a "normal" game.

#38 10 years ago

AC/DC LE by a long shot. Xmen LE is the hardest pin I've ever played & still Learning!? I'm glad a have games like mousin around to play when I just want to mess around.

#39 10 years ago

Doctor Who taught me a great skill: Soldering

#40 10 years ago

BOP - Dead bounce pass and post transfer

Corvette - Flipper combo pushes before ball launch to activate Super Skill Shot

MM - Using multiball to achieve a non-multiball task (destroy castle).

MB/BDK - Stacking modes/multiballs can vastly increase scoring potential

NF - Timing out modes to get to Wizard Mode (Boring but profitable in comp, just watch any PAPA with ST)

CSI - Letting ball drain if skill shot not achieved to have another go (assuming no points scored)

#41 10 years ago

POTC...back handing the ship and left ramp
FGY....dead flipper bounce

#42 10 years ago

Not in my collection, but...

1 - Flash Gordon
2 - Taught me how to not weep when I drained without even getting a flipper on the ball. Also taught me how to tap pass.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I learned my basic techniques on Stern's Avatar. Things like the dead flipper bounce, and backhanding both lock shots. I learned most else of what I currently know from watching YouTube videos and seeing better players play live in front of me.

You have learned well. You still have the GC on my AFM and #2 on my Tron.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

AFM - Taught me how to drop catch and loop pass(well, still learning that one....)

+1

...and I'll add one more.
Tron - staging upper flippers. During LCMB, trap a ball on the lower left and stage the upper left. It makes it way easier to try to complete the combo.

#44 10 years ago

Judging when to not flip on pins with a post between the flippers.

#45 10 years ago

The crappy software in NGG taught me how to hate

#46 10 years ago

Black Hole taught me the Drop Stop. Cannt trap in that game!

6M$M taught me about everything else... as a first game should

#47 10 years ago

All my SYS80 stuff taught me more repair skills...

#48 10 years ago

FH was my first game, so I learned most of my skills there, such as:

bounce pass, post pass, nudging, etc...

JM taught me backhanding skills, as it is really easy to backhand the left ramp over and over.

Wh2O taught me ball trapping from the lost mine kickout

HS taught me patience, as I have had the game since 2006, waiting for the repro PFs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

14,000 (OBO)
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-taught-you-a-new-skill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.