Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by UNCgump
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Thinking about this today - most of my games have those ramps that you shoot a bit inward, and the ramps curve outside, then return to the in lanes.

What games have the most fun ramps to shoot? What games have the most interesting designs/ramp ball path?

#2 5 years ago

I like the "curlie q" whirlpool style used on games like LW3, TFTC, and Creature. That being said, ramps that are just fun to combo have to be the Mark Ritchie signature style criss cross ramps on Taxi and Fish Tales.

#3 5 years ago

Legolas. That reverse ramp, fitted with a proper return end wire form guide is THE sweetest ramp shot EVER.

#4 5 years ago

I like the ramps on ACDC, being able to backhand each ramp is pretty sweet. Met is pretty badass too.

#5 5 years ago

Most interesting design path:

ToTAN. One entrance, several exits. It’s done so well, you forget there’s essentially only one massive ramp in the game but with clever diverters.

Most fun: White Water. Whirlpools to drop offs, hidden twists and turns, and the massive drop on spine chiller are crazy fun to combo.

Honorable mention: The Shadow, since you can not only choose what path the ball goes down, but you can also use the diverters to “push” the ball into the lane you want if your ramp shot was *just* slightly too weak to make.

#6 5 years ago

I'll second the ramps on Taxi and even Fishtales. It's pretty fun to get in a groove and alternate ramps.

Also the bendy ramp on Cyclone is fun.

Creech has some pretty crazy ramp action, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it.

Mousin' Around has a ramp that diverts the ball into the "mouse hole" behind the playfield, and then ejects it back on the right into a bendy ramp like the one in Cyclone, that's pretty fun and unique. It also has the middle ramp / return that you have to complete targets to make available, and that one's kind of fun to shoot.

#7 5 years ago

TFTC, Fish tales, shadow, Twister, GNR, Lost in space, Godzilla, CFTBL, and Flintstones.

#8 5 years ago

Shadow over and over and over. There is nothing like it.

The left ramp on LotR just feels really good. I can't think of another ramp that feels like it.

#9 5 years ago

I’d like to give a shout out to the Y ramp on RK............Joey

#10 5 years ago

Considering not just the ramps by themselves, but how they integrate with the game, here are some thoughts:

Creech: While the Long Bowl ramp rightly gets all of the focus, the right ramp is also great. Hitting that ramp multiple times and activating Snack Attack and then shooting the scoop is one of the best single ramp combos I know of. Very original between those 2 (really three) ramps.

SM venom ramp is great and very different and leads to great combos to the other 2 ramps

Stern ST: great flowing ramps with amazing side warp ramp combos

WH2O is all about ramps and they are very original

TOM has 3 very nice ramps including the Left Orbit/Ramp. Comboing the center ramp to the right orbit to the Trap Door is amazing. The right ramp is challenging and has the magnet diverter to the left flipper for right ramp combos.

DI has very very smooth flowing ramps that tie into the overall flow of the game. Significant mode use on ramp shot and use of ramps to get from one flipper to the other or keep the ball away from the magnets on EMP mode. Adjusting/timing your shot on the upper right flipper to not to hit the side ramp and instead collect the SIM card

Batman Forever is all ramps and wire forms. It has 4 ramps (one is a small but fun mini orbit ramp) with a Batarang ramp combo maneuver similar to STTNG.

LOTR mentioned previously for the left ramp but also the challenging center ramp ball catch in the ring.

#11 5 years ago

For just fun to shoot I think Iron Man is one of the best. They are awesome when you get the back and forth combo going. For creativity WH20, CFTBL, TOTAN, and TS are all really good.

#13 5 years ago

That's a good one.

The one that immediately came to mind for me was the homebrew Nightmare Before Christmas game. I'm sure most haven't played it, so it won't get much appreciation, but it's got a fantastic use of 3d space and diverters with the various ramps & orbits. Great stuff.

#14 5 years ago

White Water
    No Good Gofers
    Scared Stiff
    TOTAN
    Creature From the Black Lagoon

#15 5 years ago

Metallica smooth as butter

#17 5 years ago

The tiger ramp on Bad Cats is one of my favorites. It's difficult, but getting a loop on it, especially up to the 20m jackpot on the third ball, is probably one of my favorite looping ramp moments in any pin. The fishbowl ramp is less high-reward but it's also extremely satisfying.

#18 5 years ago

Most interesting would be radical.

#21 5 years ago

I probably haven't played enough machine to comment, but ToM has an interesting right ramp. Three different exits and a magnet.

#22 5 years ago

Dont forget about NF

#23 5 years ago

Honorable mention to Gilligan's Island mech that spins and uses all 7 directions.
    Also Honorable mention to Fire! With the lift ramps and ball locks.
    Indiana jones ramps with the PoA. Flinstones and Totan, Radical, Fish Tales and WH2O.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Also Honorable mention to Fire!

Ugh. I'd put fire on my least favorite ramps. When they clunk the back and reverse down the ramp.

#25 5 years ago

I like the Venom ramp on SM a lot.

#26 5 years ago

Overall I like the beta, alpha and warp ramps on sttng.

Really like the short left ramp, longer right ramp on johnny mnemonic. Difficult to combo but satisfying when you can get a few in a row.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I probably haven't played enough machine to comment, but ToM has an interesting right ramp. Three different exits and a magnet.

Only problem is hitting it consistently.

#28 5 years ago

Batman Forever
    is one of the coolest looking machines ever made.
    The ramps and wireforms
    have everything to do with that.
    The best imho.

#29 5 years ago

The Shadow - Phurba Diverter Ramps - if not the coolest, definitely the most interactive with game play!

Ghost Busters Premium/LE Subway ramp with the roller coaster style dip below the playfield.

#30 5 years ago

Flintstones, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Tales of the Arabian Nights are notable to me.

#31 5 years ago
    #32 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Batman Forever
    is one of the coolest looking machines ever made.
    The ramps and wireforms
    have everything to do with that.
    The best imho.

I like BF, but its a cheapened rip off of STTNG. Wish it wasn't made at the start of Sega's cost cutting because JP and Tommy were both ripoffs where they put real money into the machines.

#33 5 years ago

Radical is the best ramps for smooth to shoot, fun flow, and interesting diverters. Also the bets theme integrations.

Honorable mention to Whitewater for fun factor and unique.

I personally like ramps that are more about feel and flow.
    I think Lawlor does ramps better than most. ES, WW, TAF, TZ, and DI are really great ramps!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

Flintstones, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Tales of the Arabian Nights are notable to me.

While the ramps on the flintsones aren't anything fancy - I do really enjoy the software control that puts the ball on which ever side is important for the next shot. Hit the ramp lit for bowling? Right flipper it is. And so on.

#35 5 years ago

Taxi is my favorite fast feed flow ramps. One that never gets mentioned tho is t2. Shoots just like Metallica but with a wider easier to hit upper left so it’s easier to combo over and over

#36 5 years ago

I absolutely LOVE the left ramp on BSD!
    Smiling every time I make that shot!

#37 5 years ago

FLINTSTONES!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

While the ramps on the flintsones aren't anything fancy - I do really enjoy the software control that puts the ball on which ever side is important for the next shot. Hit the ramp lit for bowling? Right flipper it is. And so on.

Love that feature, too. Congo is kinda similar where the ball sent to the left flipper for the map shot when lit. Shadow is the ultimate where you control what flipper the balls goes to on either ramp shot. Love to see more games with features like this.

For smoothest, best shooting ramps, Stern ST all day. Once you get combos going or multiple warp shots it's so good. Next favorite is probably the boat ramps on FT. So much fun to hit those back and forth.

#39 5 years ago

LOTR has the best compilation of ramps, and they all do something different and interesting.

#40 5 years ago

My favorites are WhiteWater, the left ramp on LOTR (definitely not the right ramp) and the ramps on Fish Tales.

Going back and forth on the Fish Tales ramps is very fun even if it isn’t particularly challenging. I always enjoy seeing how many consecutive ramp shots I can hit in that game.

#41 5 years ago

white water, batman forever, tales from the crypt.

#42 5 years ago

Robocop because you get to make sweet jumps.

#43 5 years ago

CFTBL
    Baywatch
    TOTAN
    JP
    GOT

#44 5 years ago

Cant forget Party Zone those are some cool ramps.

#45 5 years ago

how about any game that you have put FREEPLAY40 ramps into!!!!!!!!!!

#46 5 years ago

indy 500
    ToM

#47 5 years ago

The Shadow. No ramp experience is as fun to me as doing 4 way combos hitting the diverters. It's just a super satisfying physical experience, I feel like my whole body is more engaged, like driving stick shift vs automatic.

#48 5 years ago

Intetesting ones Motor Dome, Black Water 100 and Escape from the Lost World

#49 5 years ago

Not a single mention of Demolition Man.

2 years later
    #50 3 years ago

Does anyone know of a pinball that had a ramp in the shape of a circle, when the ball was spinning on the ramp the machine made a lot of noise, is it an aircraft theme or something like that, any help?

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-has-the-best-ramps?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.