(Topic ID: 278776)

What game had a rolling blank through player score?

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm trying to remember what game I was looking at.

The other day, I was watching a video of an early solid state game (Stern or Bally, I'm pretty sure), and while the player had a ball in play there was a rolling blank that moved through the display. I've recreated the effect (at least how I remember it) on my Bally Black Jack just to show what it looked like. Does anyone know what game I'm thinking of? I thought it was Fathom, but I can't find video of it doing that.

Here's my recreation:

Does anyone remember a game that did this? I've been through my youtube history and I can't find the thing. I liked the effect because in a multiplayer game it was immediately obvious which score to look at (the player 1-4 lights are not all that obvious).

An additional clue, perhaps, in this game I was watching, the score flashed until the playfield was validated and then it did this rolling blank effect. To the best of my knowledge, the very first SS from Bally/Stern (MPU100, -17) didn't flash scores before the playfield was validated, so I'm guessing it was a second-gen SS.

#2 3 years ago

Black Knight does this, but not while scoring, waits for idle moments. Likely some other blue rom williams games do it as well.

Stern mpu200 games blink the score while idle too.

#3 3 years ago

I'm not aware of any -35 or M-200 games that do this, and as far as I'm aware, Gottlieb never did this either. Looking at videos at Bally 6803 games (early ones with the 7 segment displays), even they don't have rolling blanks. They just blink the score. I think Williams probably started it with their System 7 boardset, as most/all of them have the rolling blank as you describe.

#4 3 years ago

Awesome - thanks for the replies. It was Barracora that I was looking at:

I was wrong when I remembered it as a Bally/Stern.

I like it as an "idle" animation, but it really pops up quick on Barracora. Looks like if you don't hit anything for 1.5 seconds, it starts cycling. Also, my recreation was off. On Barracora, Williams wipes the whole score out from left to right, reveal it again from left to right, and then pause for 1/3 of a second. (I was just blanking a single digit).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-had-a-rolling-blank-through-player-score?hl=dickhamill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.