(Topic ID: 253763)

What game did you swear you would never sell......and then you did!

By skyrex

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cards25
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0146 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
    PA030042 (resized).JPG
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Ghostbusters Premium I said I would never sell, but was frustrated they never came out with a new code when Stern said a new one was on the way for over a year. Had a flipper issue that I was told I needed a new $300 node board after me warranty expired, so that was equally frustrating as well. But still really enjoyed playing the game.

#52 4 years ago

There's only two I said I'd never sell, and I haven't yet, and looks like I never will..
    My very 1st machine was/is a 1956 United puck bowler. Last month a wealthy person
    offered me $5,000.00 because it matched his 1956 United ball bowler. I said No.
    Call me crazy, but I can't/won't do it. Or at least 5k didn't do the trick..

#53 4 years ago

AFM.

Especially since I bought it over ten years ago and will never get one near that price again.

#54 4 years ago

Grand Prix, I miss it though...

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

There's only two I said I'd never sell, and I haven't yet, and looks like I never will..
    My very 1st machine was/is a 1956 United puck bowler. Last month a wealthy person

Have him add an appendage or two!

#56 4 years ago

Iron Maiden, great game, just time to go

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Years ago, 1982, I was at the Corvette swap meet and Bloomington judging at Bloomington Indiana. I found myself talking to a guy who had restored a '57 Vette and he won a Bloomington Gold Certificate. He told me me he turned down a $25,000.00 offer. $25K was big bucks at the time.

I told one of my uncle's about this. His response was, "that's where two fools met". And time showed him to be wrong on both counts. Today, the real nice '57 Vette's are in six figure territory. The guy who offered the $25K was right. The guy who would not sell for $25K was right and reaped the rewards for not selling.

If you are paying your bills and keeping your kids fed, I would never call you crazy for not selling.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What games are they??

Harlem Globetrotters and Space Shuttle. Not because they are restored, not because they are great games, not because I could always buy another one. Those specific two are the ones I want. In both cases, it’s because of how I got them and because of how they play. I would never sell them.

#59 4 years ago

STTNG. Enjoyed it for 4 years. Never expected to sell it, but then a flashy new Star Wars was announced and I sold to help pay for a premium.

#60 4 years ago

Black hole.. Picked it up in pretty good shape for really cheap and sold it after putting some time on and in it... After playing it a few weeks it was too simple for my tastes and to be honest the sound loop got annoying. Also couldn’t stand the inability to change the rollovers, not to mention it was big and just took up too much room.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Harlem Globetrotters and Space Shuttle. Not because they are restored, not because they are great games, not because I could always buy another one. Those specific two are the ones I want. In both cases, it’s because of how I got them and because of how they play. I would never sell them.

You are tantalizing me with these little snippets. Come on! Tell us the story!

#62 4 years ago

For me it’s Cirqus Voltaire. I spent a number of years looking for one and found one that needed some TLC but was otherwise a nice find. After spending over a year rebuilding it, I placed it in the lineup with the rest of the collection. I loved it, but the rest of the family never played CV. We’d play WCS94 5 times to every 1 time with CV. So, one day I just get the itch to sell and CV is gone. She found a happy home and I’ve moved on to finding a nice WH2O.

#63 4 years ago

Tron, Lord of the Rings, the second STTNG (sold it for stupid money), Farfalla, Joker Poker

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Black hole.. Picked it up in pretty good shape for really cheap and sold it after putting some time on and in it... After playing it a few weeks it was too simple for my tastes and to be honest the sound loop got annoying. Also couldn’t stand the inability to change the rollovers, not to mention it was big and just took up too much room.

I have the exact one that I played maybe 20 years ago. Turned out to be my first pin 3 years ago, which kick-started this hobby. Was able to pick it up at a dirt cheap price from a coworker, but it had turned into a mouse hotel from being stored. Still haven't turned it on 3 years later. Hopefully a winter project. It likely won't join the normal line up since those are newer, but it will end up in my office. Always play one on location if I spot one.

(Apologies for the slight thread derail.)

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If you are paying your bills and keeping your kids fed, I would never call you crazy for not selling.

Yes, you're right, all else comes first..
    It's actually a little crazier. After saying not for sale, ,I let him know in the barn I have the exact machine
    and it's in nicer condition..
    He said he'll give me $3,000.00 for it. Not sure, but he must of wanted one on the spot. Even 3k is more
    than double what most would pay, so I didn't bother doing any negotiating and told him I'll go through it
    in early Spring along with a Cowpoke which he liked after playing the one set up in the game room..
    57 vettes were always my favorite. Someone here in my village has a 1953 1/2 corvette. The first vette
    made in the middle of 1953. Only 300 were produced. He's had it in storage forever..

#66 4 years ago

Cyclone! I said I never would sell it, and then last September I did. About a month later the guy I sold it to listed it up for sale again, so I bought it back!

I have a few other "never sell" games -- Pinbot (my first game), Genesis (First game I restored) and Rocky & Bullwinkle (The game that got me into pinball!)

1 week later
    #67 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I have the exact one that I played maybe 20 years ago. Turned out to be my first pin 3 years ago, which kick-started this hobby. Was able to pick it up at a dirt cheap price from a coworker, but it had turned into a mouse hotel from being stored. Still haven't turned it on 3 years later. Hopefully a winter project. It likely won't join the normal line up since those are newer, but it will end up in my office. Always play one on location if I spot one.
    (Apologies for the slight thread derail.)

Gotta say that’s pretty cool to have the same one played so long ago, nice!

#68 4 years ago

Sold STLE(bolted to floor) for AFMr LE ( bolted to floor) for BM66( thinking of selling). On a positive note, I have been married for 23 years (wife bolted to floor).

#69 4 years ago

Stern Trident. I know, I know there is nothing special about that game.
    I bought it and it was trash. I spent a million hours touching it up and clear coating it.
    I stenciled the cabinet.
    I did board work.
    It was dialed in and I LOVED playing it. I had it for about 10 years and it still looked fabulous.
    But after several thousand plays, I lost interest and played it less and less.
    I thought I would never get tired of it or sell it but I did.
    I have seen a few in Allentown but they all were a bit crappy so unless I find a nice one ( or my old one turns up) I will not buy another one.

3 months later
    #70 4 years ago

Gottlieb royal guard was the 1st pin I ever bought..kept it for 3 years, and sold it. I ended up missing the game, and left a message w the new owner several times saying that if he ever got bored w it, or wanted to sell, to let me know. Well today, I decided to get rid of my quick draw to him (+ a few $ from him) in exchange/trade for my royal guard! I’m pretty stoked to have her back..today’s a great day..

#71 4 years ago

F-14 TOMCAT

Great machine that I bought at a good price.
    Offered $$ to sell. So I did and bought my Corvette pin.

F-14 TOMCAT will return someday.

#72 4 years ago

Metallica... TWICE. Just sold my second one. Had to make room for a rare game I’ve been searching high and low for. Already miss it.

Luckily it’s relatively easy to replace... first was a pro, this was a premium. Guess the third I inevitably pick up in the future will have to be an LE

#73 4 years ago

I have been thinking that my Metallica Monsters will be the first game I sell, if I had to sell. And not selling anything else to just get something different.

I did sell 3 games in the last year to get something different, and I am 100% happy with all the games I have now.

The 3 games I sold were GB pro, Iron Maiden pro, and AC/DC VE prem.

The 3 games I added were JJPOTCSE, OKT, and HOU.

#74 4 years ago

AC/DC Premium....I wanted one from the first run. Took me years to get to the point I was able to get one NIB. Got divorced 5 months later. I needed the cash. Managed to keep one at least.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-did-you-swear-you-would-never-selland-then-you-did/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.