(Topic ID: 253763)

What game did you swear you would never sell......and then you did!

By skyrex

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cards25
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0146 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
    PA030042 (resized).JPG
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

We all have done it. This “insert game name here” is never leaving! It’s a lifetime keeper. And then either space constraints or the new hotness comes out and there it goes. So the question is what left that you couldn’t imagine parting with and why did you change your mind?

#2 4 years ago

The Shadow. I still don't quite know why I sold it. Sometimes I think I want to get another one, but other times I wonder if that yearning is just a nostalgia thing and that I wouldn't enjoy it as much the second time around.

Honarable mention: Indiana Jones. Sold because I got so sick of the IJ theme music I couldn't bear starting up another game on it.

#3 4 years ago

Don't think I have had a never sell that I sold. Mystery Castle and Pinball Magic have crossed my mind. Mystery so i could get another nicer example down the road. Pinball Magic I just don't play, but its a sample machine (1 of 20) and would be impossible to replace.

#4 4 years ago

Lord of the rings for me, have a hobbit now, but still would love to have a lotr next to it

#5 4 years ago

Hobbit, DW, and CFTBL. Have bought Hobbit and DW back since, biding my time and space with another CFTBL.

On the flip side, have bought WOZ twice and couldn’t get rid of it quickly enough. Wanted to love it so much.

#6 4 years ago

Pretty much all of them.

#7 4 years ago

Congo for me and I’m still in shock I let it go

#8 4 years ago

Black Hole and I regretted it immediately after it was gone. Worse part is the $1,000 - $1,500 dollar jump in value since then should I decide to get another.

#9 4 years ago

Addam's Family & Fish Tales. I got another FT now, and would buy TAF again too..

#10 4 years ago

Cheetah. My first pin, my favoruite pin, and I knew it would be hard to replace if I sold it (particularly as I don't have the big pinball budget many people seem to have, so not much above a couple K is going to work... but the right deal came along and that is that...

<2 months later>

I was in remorse the day before it left, and was probably complaining to my friends...

As fortune would have it, a good friend found another one for me and was able to grab it that night, while myself and the local pin community were in the throws of the monthly tournament. Was distracted for sure, but hey, prob another reason I was able to get it, as everyone else was busy

#11 4 years ago

TWD pro. Ugh, shit sometimes happens and having cash in my pocket for an "incase" was needed.
    An absolute awesome machine and miss it.
    I am determined to get another but will be a premium next time around.
    -Mike

#12 4 years ago

Centaur after I swapped a new playfield in her. One day I realized as beautiful as she was I didn't play her anymore. Once you master hitting the orbs targets in order your ball never ends. Ironically what made me fall in love with her in the beginning became the reason she had to go.

#13 4 years ago

Congo, Demo Man, are the two i miss the most!

#14 4 years ago

Charlie's Angels EM. Version #1001. I searched HARD for the game for 12 long years, replied to every for sale ad and lead that there was....usually it averaged about one lead a week but it always turned out to be a SS version. Heck I even offered a $100 finders fee if anyone hooked me up with one. Through all my travels of going to shows, warehouse raids, other people's collections, auctions.......I'd never even seen one in person (and that remains true to this day even). Back in 2002 I think it was I had just missed out on the first one to surface, even though I hadn't see it in person to verify it was the EM. version, but before I could get there someone in Wisconsin bought the game out of Canada before I could. After a couple of years I found out who it was and pestered him to sell it to me but he said he was like "a kid in a candy store" with it. We'll I must have worn him down and one day in 2008 I got that phone call that he was ready to sell but it wasn't going to be cheap by any means and he knew I wanted it bad and had been looking for 12 years at that point. I agreed on the price (there was no haggling) and he brought it to Expo for me and we did the deal in the parking lot for it and the NOS playfield that he had for it.

After owning it for 5-6 years I was starting to wonder if I should keep it or not as I'd sorta had my fun with it, the search was over and space was getting limited here. One day in 2014 I get a email from someone that wants to buy it for a large amount of cash. Now granted, it was a lot of money but I was torn between selling it or not as I knew if I did I'd NEVER find another one so this was not a instant decision and it kept me awake at night. About two weeks go buy and the offer got to be even higher, like as in HOLY CRAP higher!! I said sold and the game was shipped out to the west coast and I regretted it immediately. Thankfully I kept in touch with the buyer for the next two years and one day in 2016 he's now ready to sell it back to me, HOWEVER there was quite a bit of negotiating back and forth and after it getting LOST on it's way back here (thanks to STI)....in the end it came back where it belonged all along. Now I know it will never leave here again until the day I sell out everything. The game is part of me now and holds a special place in the collection, granted it's not the most exciting game to play but it's rarity and story of how I got it once, sold it and was lucky enough to buy it back will always mean something special to me.

John
    P.S. I tried to insert the pictures where they would have made more sense in the story but I can't ever figure out how to do it so use your imagination.....LOL.
    PA030042 (resized).JPGPA030042 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0146 (resized).JPGIMG_0146 (resized).JPG

#15 4 years ago

Afm and ccc. I moved on now.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hobbit, DW, and CFTBL. Have bought Hobbit and DW back since, biding my time and space with another CFTBL.
    On the flip side, have bought WOZ twice and couldn’t get rid of it quickly enough. Wanted to love it so much.

Funny I bought WOZ twice as well....really wanted to love that game, but in the end I couldn't ....

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Centaur after I swapped a new playfield in her. One day I realized as beautiful as she was I didn't play her anymore. Once you master hitting the orbs targets in order your ball never ends. Ironically what made me fall in love with her in the beginning became the reason she had to go.

Nice, for one like that I have to imagine the $$ come to play as well... Seeing the price increases on it over the past few years.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

ice, for one like that I have to imagine the $$ come to play as well

Yep it was a factor

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Charlie's Angels EM. Version #1001. I searched HARD for the game for 12 long years, replied to every for sale ad and lead that there was....usually it averaged about one lead a week but it always turned out to be a SS version. Heck I even offered a $100 finders fee if anyone hooked me up with one. Through all my travels of going to shows, warehouse raids, other people's collections, auctions.......I'd never even seen one in person (and that remains true to this day even). Back in 2002 I think it was I had just missed out on the first one to surface, even though I hadn't see it in person to verify it was the EM. version, but before I could get there someone in Wisconsin bought the game out of Canada before I could. After a couple of years I found out who it was and pestered him to sell it to me but he said he was like "a kid in a candy store" with it. We'll I must have worn him down and one day in 2008 I got that phone call that he was ready to sell but it wasn't going to be cheap by any means and he knew I wanted it bad and had been looking for 12 years at that point. I agreed on the price (there was no haggling) and he brought it to Expo for me and we did the deal in the parking lot for it and the NOS playfield that he had for it.
    After owning it for 5-6 years I was starting to wonder if I should keep it or not as I'd sorta had my fun with it, the search was over and space was getting limited here. One day in 2014 I get a email from someone that wants to buy it for a large amount of cash. Now granted, it was a lot of money but I was torn between selling it or not as I knew if I did I'd NEVER find another one so this was not a instant decision and it kept me awake at night. About two weeks go buy and the offer got to be even higher, like as in HOLY CRAP higher!! I said sold and the game was shipped out to the west coast and I regretted it immediately. Thankfully I kept in touch with the buyer for the next two years and one day in 2016 he's now ready to sell it back to me, HOWEVER there was quite a bit of negotiating back and forth and after it getting LOST on it's way back here (thanks to STI)....in the end it came back where it belonged all along. Now I know it will never leave here again until the day I sell out everything. The game is part of me now and holds a special place in the collection, granted it's not the most exciting game to play but it's rarity and story of how I got it once, sold it and was lucky enough to buy it back will always mean something special to me.
    John
    P.S. I tried to insert the pictures where they would have made more sense in the story but I can't ever figure out how to do it so use your imagination.....LOL.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great story, thanks for sharing. 350 production is interesting, low enough that it is very challenging to find, but still do-able with time, patience and networking. Like scoring a Hit The Deck I guess. I was happy with my strange world until all of a sudden, there were like 5 that people mentioned picking up within a few days of eachother

#20 4 years ago

TZ, thought it was the grail for me, but after awhile it was too much stop and go, and playing became like chopping wood. Not for me.

#21 4 years ago

Dirty harry
    Bride of pinbot
    Star Trek 25th

#22 4 years ago

MM. sacrilege in pinball.
    needed to rotate

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

TWD pro. Ugh, shit sometimes happens and having cash in my pocket for an "incase" was needed.
    An absolute awesome machine and miss it.
    I am determined to get another but will be a premium next time around.
    -Mike

I sold my Tron Pro to get a Walking Dead Pro. It's given me years of fun and still play it daily, but man I miss Tron. Hoping I have the cash if they decide to do a Tron VE.

#24 4 years ago

IJ for me.
    Sold it to help fund a new house, which didn't happen anyway

I have regretted selling a few games over the years, but always find something else I like to play instead of it.
    Right now it's JPLE, and POTC LE.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Funny I bought WOZ twice as well....really wanted to love that game, but in the end I couldn't ....

Yep. It just looks SO good! In the end others (POTC) won out..

#26 4 years ago

Fish Tales....Miss it a lot.

#28 4 years ago

Jurassic Park...paid 800 bucks for it and it was in phenomenal shape. I actually felt obligated to sell it just because ... I paid 800 bucks for it!

#29 4 years ago

"Pleasure Isle". But wait... I have another one!

#30 4 years ago

Will likely sell my previously "bolted to the ground" Scared Stiff. At the end of the day they are just games, and there's always more around the corner so I'm trying not to let nostalgia get in the way of getting new stuff. So time for Scared Stiff to go to a new owner.

#31 4 years ago

Elvira and the Party Monsters...
    Ive had 3, fixed em up, gone.
    How about another Ball?

#32 4 years ago

FG..... glad I found another one that was as perfect as the one I bought NIB

#33 4 years ago

Tz... unfortunately had to move it to bring new stuff in.... probably get another one day. Its tough to buy the older stuff again when so many new great pins are coming out.

#34 4 years ago

My GOT premium loved that game until the new code got released so I got rid of it.

#35 4 years ago

Freedom EM.

My first and only EM. But sold to a friend so I can always play. Cheap barn find that cleaned up great, but I introduced a family to pinball at a good price , so no hard feelings. Their kids and grandkids are having a blast.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#36 4 years ago

My first pin I owned: Addams Family.

My nostalgic pin that I played in college: Cyclone

#37 4 years ago

I always say this game is a keeper and I sell it. I don’t believe I truly Have a game that I will keep for the long haul.

#38 4 years ago

My t2. I miss it but the newer games just offer so much more. Someone needs to just make an OG terminator

#39 4 years ago

I’ve owned over 100 machines. I have never sold the couple I said that I never would. So yeah, whoever takes care of shit when I’m gone from this earth, those machines are theirs to sell. I know I will not sell them because they are not very desirable titles. They are not worth more than a couple grand and they are special in a different way that no one else could ever appreciate besides myself.

#40 4 years ago

Eventually all of them.

#41 4 years ago

For the first time in my life I am completely happy with my entire collection.

#43 4 years ago

An original Australian delivered MM.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from skyrex:

We all have done it. This “insert game name here” is never leaving! It’s a lifetime keeper. And then either space constraints or the new hotness comes out and there it goes. So the question is what left that you couldn’t imagine parting with and why did you change your mind?

STTNG. Favorite game of all time, great memories playing it, it has it all. Said I would only ever sell it for a LOTR. Friend tried for years to get me to trade my STTNG for his restored LOTR when he finally finished it. After I saw how beautiful it was when he was finished, I caved and made the deal and told myself I am never selling the LOTR. Then an opportunity for a JJP Pirates came up locally and that was the one game I said I would sell my LOTR for, once again, I couldn't pass it up. Sold the LOTR and got the JJP Pirates. This was all over the span of 9 or 10 years, so the deals weren't instant or anything at least.

Now..."I will never sell my JJP Pirates".

#45 4 years ago

Wait a second... you are allowed to sell games?

#46 4 years ago

TZ. Still love it, but it just got too easy and there was nothing new to work towards.

#47 4 years ago

1st was TZ
    2nd was SS
    3rd was TAF
    4th was BSD

I guess they are always for sale at some point...lesson learned

"Edit" I do miss my TAF the most..hoping CGC makes another, because I will Never find one as nice as the one I sold, and am Not willing to get something of less quality.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I’ve owned over 100 machines. I have never sold the couple I said that I never would. So yeah, whoever takes care of shit when I’m gone from this earth, those machines are theirs to sell. I know I will not sell them because they are not very desirable titles. They are not worth more than a couple grand and they are special in a different way that no one else could ever appreciate besides myself.

What games are they??

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Eventually all of them.

I agree.

The one that hurt the most, however, was Flash Gordon. It was completely in pieces (in the middle of a restore) and I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.
    I miss it. Of course, they made 10,000 of them...so I'm sure I can find another one.

#50 4 years ago

Almost every new game I get oldschool or NIB has its "this is a keeper" phase but nothing has lasted longer than a year.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-did-you-swear-you-would-never-selland-then-you-did/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.