(Topic ID: 233379)

What format do you prefer instruction card files in?

By Aurich

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What format do you prefer instruction card files in?”

• JPEG single image for each 7 votes
      28%
    • PDF of both cards together 18 votes
      72%

(25 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Wars Free Play 1 6x4.png
    Star Wars Instructions 1 6x4.png
    acdc-cards.pdf (PDF preview)
    ACDC-no-free.jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I get a fair amount of PMs from people asking me for freeplay/instruction cards that I've done over the years, mostly because Dropbox broke all the old public links.

I thought I'd stick them all back in one place for people to freely download again, but I have a question about what format is easier for people.

1) Single image per card, JPEG, set to 300 DPI. You need to open in whatever software and print them individually at the right size, and cut out. Or, some people have them printed like photographs at Walmart or whatever.

2) A PDF of both cards on one piece of paper. Print it at 100% size, on photo paper or something nice, and cut out.

The first one is more flexible, it's just an image, do whatever with it. But for some it might be hard to print it at the right size. The second is less flexible, can't get a photo print for instance, but the PDF contains size info, so as long as you print it at 100% size, no scaling, it will come out right.

Anyone have thoughts on which would be the most helpful? I stuck in a poll too if it helps.

#2 5 years ago

Here's an example of a single image for a card:

ACDC-no-free.jpgACDC-no-free.jpg

#3 5 years ago

Here's an example of a PDF of both together:

acdc-cards.pdfacdc-cards.pdf

#4 5 years ago

PDF together by far!!! Just much easier.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

PDF together by far!!! Just much easier.

Yes

#6 5 years ago

To me the best way is individually on a 4x6 canvas so they can be sent to an online photo printer as if it was a snapshot. I get mine printed at Sams for 13 cents each, pick them up in an hour and then trim them to fit. I suppose putting two on an 8x10 canvas would work also. I no longer have a photo printer because of the stupid cost of ink refills and paper. I don't print enough to make it worth owning my own printer any more.

Star Wars Free Play 1 6x4.pngStar Wars Free Play 1 6x4.pngStar Wars Instructions 1 6x4.pngStar Wars Instructions 1 6x4.png
    #7 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I suppose putting two on an 8x10 canvas would work also.

Hmm, that's a thought. Because I'm already seeing people who prefer both ways, wonder if that would be the middle ground.

#8 5 years ago

thanks for putting your work up for us to freely download. that's really cool of you.

#9 5 years ago

PDF. I am an idiot and seem to never get the right size. Looking for some Cyclone now if you have any.

#10 5 years ago

Go with the pdf. It's the only way I can get them to print the right size.

#11 5 years ago

Where will your cards be posted? Thanks man!!! Great work.

#12 5 years ago

PDF is easiest for me, but really whatever is easiest for you - super cool to be doing this, Thanks!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Where will your cards be posted? Thanks man!!! Great work.

I'll make a new thread with them all, then people can search for it, or I can link them. Sounds like PDF is the winner, but they'll fit on an 8x10, so I'll try for both.

I just need to hunt down all my files, make the PDFs etc. Won't take too long, I'll poke at it.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for your time and effort.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

Thanks for your time and effort.

First off I'm happy to share. Secondly, making a thread with them all will help me too, makes it easier when people ask me for them. At least once or twice a week someone finds a broken link from an old thread, heh.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-format-do-you-prefer-instruction-card-files-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.