(Topic ID: 36479)

What fix to apply to a bit worn sanctum passage (The Shadow)?

By Nepi23

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sanctum_repair.jpg
Sanctum.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi!

Is it true that it would be sufficent just to buy a decal, which reads
"To the Sanctum" and apply it on top of the worn part in my pinball?
And after that I would not need do any waxing, applying of mylar etc.
on top of the decal?

I mean decals like this:
ebay.com link: SHADOW Pinball Machine Sanctum Overlay Decal

What do you think would be the best way to repair this - please have a look
at the attachmend. My Sanctum passage is not IMHO that worn out as of yet

Thank you for tips, soon I will have my machine in top notch condition!

BTW, where in earth would one get the "Ball trough magnetic jam protector" and get it shipped to Finland? I have received no replies from pinbits.com or www.rtbb.com.a

Sanctum.jpgSanctum.jpg

#2 11 years ago

That is the only fix other than having the playfield professionally restored.

#3 11 years ago

Ok, thank you, I will go that route then as I have had some locking problems with the balls in the inner sanctum. It is great that I do not have to apply any mylar etc. as this solution suits well with my newbie skills I also managed to find the ball trough magnetic jam protector on the internets!

#4 11 years ago

I bought the aforementioned "laminated Sanctum decals" via the ebay-link and now plan to clean the playfield and apply the decal on top of the worn Sanctum passage.

However, should I after inserting the decal to apply some mylar on top of the laminated decal, or is it sufficent just to apply the decal? Thank you again for tips!

#5 11 years ago

Just so you know that decal gray wont match. It's not even close.

Clean out the sanctum of any crap thats in it. Apply epoxy into the hole then smooth it out with sandpaper when its cured. then apply the decal and then mylar the decal.

#6 11 years ago

can you use wood filler to fill out the wear and sand before applying the decal?

#7 11 years ago

Wood filler generally shrinks and cracks over time. Epoxy won't. A lot of people use an epoxy by a company called dolphin but I have no personal experience with it.

#8 11 years ago

thanks is there a type of epxoy to use?, i hear of dolphin glaze, but I think it is hard to come by
I seen a type of expoy filler in walmart, comes in a tube you mix the 2 putties together to make the expoy set, would that type of thing work?

Thanks

#10 11 years ago

That leaves more questions. If dolphin is so easy to sand doesn't that mean it is less hard than say epoxy auto body filler or JB weld? Looks like it is not a 2 part mix. That would make it easier to use but is it hard enough?

#11 11 years ago

All epoxy is easy to sand. Doesn't really have to do with its hardness. Granite is hard and you can sand it

#12 11 years ago

One of my friends uses JB weld. It's a bitch to sand.

#13 11 years ago

The Dolphin Glaze is a 2 part mix and will work perfect for this type of application. Use the high viscosity version. It is hard to find (Internet or see if your local auto body shop will sell you some), but is so much easier to work with when you have divots or shallow worn areas.

#14 11 years ago

i use marine epoxy. so far, the strongest fix i've experienced...

-jon

#15 11 years ago

The decal is one option but as pointed out by Pinchroma the color is not a close match. That's the primary reason I opted to paint, clear and mylar the repair instead. In either case you will need to repair the damage first and either an epoxy or epoxy based wood filler will work fine. I used JB Weld and it has held up very well. I didn't find it particularly difficult to sand and level.

If you decide to go this route, and you can do it yourself, search here on Pinside as there are numerous postings on the procedure and materials used.

Good luck!

#16 11 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys! I have to investigate now how to apply the mylar, as I have always believed it to be a sticker of some sort, but as I think that kind of sticker would be difficult to be applied over a decal, it must be some glue-type of material that can be painted etc. on top of the decal.

#17 11 years ago

The decal is a just a sticker. Mylar is basically adhesive backed clear vinyl

#18 11 years ago

I would live with it unless you fix it properly with methods above. The decal to me would be like putting a bumper sticker over a rust hole. I have seen some nice work when searching the forum here.

#19 11 years ago

Perhaps I have to do a proper fix then. Getting the right paint will be a nightmare though I guess. Do you happen to know the proper shade for Sanctum if one looks at Revell colors? E.g. 76 / 32176 (Light Grey USAF Matt)?

One can find it here:
http://www.haertle.de/plastikmodellbau/modellbau+zubehoer/streichfarben/revell+32176+streichfarbe+hellgrau+matt+usaf+76+farbdose+14+ml.html

#20 11 years ago

Revell is an enamel. You want to use an acrylic.

Best color match can be found at Michael's for around $2. I used it straight from the bottle and it's a near perfect match. You'll need to clear after touch-up.

Manufacturer: Plaid
Brand: Apple Barrel Colors
Item #: 20526 - Country Grey.
Size: 2 oz.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#21 11 years ago

Don't forget every ones grey is different due to wear age and fading. You want to colour match your faded play field not a new one

Regards David

#22 11 years ago

I'm new to touch-ups, but have a spot or two on my ES I'd like to fix. Is painting with a brusk OK, or is it preferred to use an airbrush? Can you use the same paints with an airbrush?

#23 11 years ago

Airbrush is better, but a brush is ok. You can use the same paints but they will have to be thinned for an airbrush.

For larger spots I would go with the airbush, but that's me. You can also feather the edges which helps them blend in.

If you are going to brush add some Floetrol to the paint and use a high quality paint brush in order to minimize brush strokes. Sand afterwards with fine grit to level out.

#24 11 years ago

Here's what I got for repairing:

"Cold Glaze Package I", it's a some soft of epoxy-based material, which results into a clear surface, a bit like lacquer. One should be apply to make the said surface flat with sandpaper (in the picture as well). Finally, as a paint I chose some waterbased acrylic paint. Hopefully the color will be ok.

Any comments, is this a good set?

My plan is to apply the "Cold Glaze", make it flat with the sandpaper, paint it and after that apply the mylar-sticker. I do not have mylar as of yet.

Sanctum_repair.jpgSanctum_repair.jpg

#25 11 years ago

The proper fix is definitely to epoxy, sand, etc. But not everyone has those skills. It is ok to simply apply the sticker and do nothing else. You do not need to prep first nor do you need to Mylar over the sticker. The sticker, itself is made of a mylar like material and withstands abuse. Even if it didn't just buy another sticker a year later and apply. It's cheap and easy. The sticker does not match very well. However it is still a lot better looking than the wear spot without it.

#26 11 years ago

It would have been nice if the sticker was the same color as the coverage area.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It is ok to simply apply the sticker and do nothing else.

The area MUST be perfectly flat to work properly. If so, the sticker alone will suffice and no filling or painting is necessary. In many instances this is not the case and the area will require repair first.

My Shadow looked similar but the wood was beginning to splinter under the paint and would have become problematic without repairing the area first.

#28 11 years ago

Here is a link that talks about the repair in that area. There are links in the thread to two other threads. Great reads.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sanctum-wear-on-ts

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

The area MUST be perfectly flat to work properly. If so, the sticker alone will suffice and no filling or painting is necessary. In many instances this is not the case and the area will require repair first.
My Shadow looked similar but the wood was beginning to splinter under the paint and would have become problematic without repairing the area first.

It doesn't need to be perfectly flat. If its starting to dimple and look ugly but not splintering then it can work fine. I've stickered over a few like this and the lock mech works fine after. I've heard of odd cases where the magnet isn't strong enough to pull the ball out of the divot but have yet to actually see that. If your lock is working now with the pf divot then it still will be after just slapping a sticker over it.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It doesn't need to be perfectly flat. If its starting to dimple and look ugly but not splintering then it can work fine. I've stickered over a few like this and the lock mech works fine after. I've heard of odd cases where the magnet isn't strong enough to pull the ball out of the divot but have yet to actually see that. If your lock is working now with the pf divot then it still will be after just slapping a sticker over it.

That very well may be true but why in the world would you sticker over a problem area that will only get worse with time. Repair it properly to begin with and be done with it.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It would have been nice if the sticker was the same color as the coverage area.

This may be a stupid question, but why do they keep producing stickers that are a bad color match?

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This may be a stupid question, but why do they keep producing stickers that are a bad color match?

The only good reason is that they are selling them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-fix-to-apply-to-a-bit-worn-sanctum-passage-the-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.