(Topic ID: 146901)

What filler to use for blown out post holes?

By phergott

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KwikWood.jpg
1214151848a.jpg
1214151848.jpg
20150507_082233.jpg
20150506_213602.jpg
1215151942.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys, so I just got this project Flying Carpet last weekend, and have some post holes that are pretty rough. These posts need something stronger than wood putty as they are for supporting rubber rings.
Any suggestions?
-Chris

1215151942.jpg1215151942.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Toothpicks.....I swear. Get a wooden toothpick, put it in the hole and break it off. Some might need a couple.....some people put a dab of glue and the toothpicks.

#3 8 years ago

Someone will have a better method, but I've used small wooden dowels with good success. Hand cut to fit flush to the top, apply a little Titebond and let it sit 'til it dries. I've found really good touch up paint at Michael's--they have a ton of enamel colors.

#4 8 years ago

As foureyedcharlie said, a couple of toothpicks (or more if you need it) and some glue will take care of it.

#5 8 years ago

Yes. Toothpicks.

1. Dip it in a little Elmers.
2. Insert and break off flush.
3. Repeat 1 & 2 until it's filled.
4. Tap smooth with a hammer.
5. Done.

#6 8 years ago

Bamboo skewers and glue. They are thicker than toothpicks to fill the hole without gaps and will be stronger in the long run.

#7 8 years ago

Toothpicks and wood glue. I've also shored up holes with cut-off bits of zip ties.

#8 8 years ago

I have used golf tees for larger holes.

#9 8 years ago

Well I've used toothpicks before for ensuring a loose screw slugs up nice, but I'll think about it. I'm kinda liking the wood dowel idea.

#10 8 years ago

another vote for bbq skewers and wood glue but the idea is the same in all cases... glue and splinters

#11 8 years ago

I'm sure toothpicks would work because I have heard enough people talk about them.

But even though they probably do... I would go with the bamboo because of better tensile strength.

For myself, I use pieces of popsicle sticks. The wood seems stronger on them than toothpick wood. The last thing you need is to put something in there... and then have the screw 'spin' again when you're tightening it up.

And if you happen to use my method... cut a piece of the stick to completely fill in the hole and then just break it (or cut it) off flush if you've cut it too long. It's not that hard to get the screw started again in the middle. Sometimes I'll use an ice pick to make a little pilot hole but usually you won't have to do this.

And maybe all popsicle sticks are not created equal??... the ones I have are fairly rigid and strong and don't need glue for strength, although I guess it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to do this too.

#12 8 years ago

Another vote for bamboo skewers. That's what I use.

#13 8 years ago

I've always used toothpicks and only a dab of glue if the hole is really gouged out.

#14 8 years ago

I had to dig out a snapped off post and fill the new hole. Dowel used in this case. But yea, if hole isnt too big, tooth picks. I tooth pick every siderail nail hole before reapplying the siderails.

20150506_213602.jpg20150506_213602.jpg20150507_082233.jpg20150507_082233.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Another option if you have room is to drill it out and add a T-nut to bottom Side of playfield

#16 8 years ago

1/4" dowel rods do not work due to the grain of the dowel rod. The screws just don't seem to grip well. I have had good success with toothpicks, but after reading this I'm switching to bamboo. Funny thing, I was in Home Depot today looking for a 1/4" plug bit so I could cut my own plugs with the grain running across instead of with like a dowel rod.
A lot depends on the post your trying to replace. If it gets a heavy workout, toothpicks will not work. I have 3 post in my Gulfstream that just take a beating from the ball, and I am constantly fixing the post. I think I may try pintimes method with the wing nuts.

#17 8 years ago

yup, toothpicks or the bamboo skewers. Dunk it in some woodglue. Stick it in the hole. let it dry and take a wire cutter and snip it off. Done and good as new.

#18 8 years ago

Be sure you use wood glue. Someone commented to use Elmers which would be fine as long as it is Elmers wood glue.

By the way - that playfled looks pretty nice. Does it all look that nice?

#19 8 years ago

I'll use Elmers for sure.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Be sure you use wood glue. Someone commented to use Elmers which would be fine as long as it is Elmers wood glue.
By the way - that playfled looks pretty nice. Does it all look that nice?

Yeah pretty much, even though by the play meter it's nearly been to the moon already.

1214151848.jpg1214151848.jpg

1214151848a.jpg1214151848a.jpg

#21 8 years ago

I had one pull out of my Skyline and used this stuff. That was a few months ago and I haven't had any issues.

KwikWood.jpgKwikWood.jpg

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

1/4" dowel rods do not work due to the grain of the dowel rod. The screws just don't seem to grip well...

Dowels do work, I've used them in guitar repair as well as plugging larger playfield holes. Toothpicks/bamboo work very well, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-filler-to-use-for-blown-out-post-holes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.