(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#216 5 years ago

Eddie, as a former mechanical engineer with a penchant for tinkering, I love reading this thread and seeing your updates and photos, so keep up the good work.

FYI, I avoided reading this thread for the longest time, because I misread the title as "What Failed Today? Modern Pinball NYC is going out of business", thinking it was just another thread about the death of the pinball hobby. Glad I finally took a peek.

1 week later
#226 5 years ago

Eddie, what a nightmare!

Good thing you can perform under pressure! That story deserves to be excerpted and posted in your profile. Great read!

You seem like a cool guy with great technical skills, working under less-than-ideal circumstances. I hope your boss appreciates what you do!

Next time I'm in New York, I'm gonna drop by and buy you a beer.

1 week later
#232 4 years ago

Are you attending the party, Eddie? On call, maybe? Should be fun.

2 weeks later
#241 4 years ago

Nice bracket repair, Eddie!

1 week later
#250 4 years ago

Eddie, thanks for the pics. I know you don't usually have a lot of time for that, but it really helps viewers like me.

Just out of curiosity, how many pinball machines are at Modern Pinball NYC in total, and what is an average number of plays in a given period (day, week, or month)? I'm curious about how heavy the play cycles are, given the number of repairs that you have been recording over time.

Great thread, as always.

1 week later
#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

1/6
Raising the playfield to see the cause of the non working sling and………..

Whoops! Haha

#256 4 years ago

No, I understood completely, just from the picture. Hence, the "Whoops!" (As in, "Wow, no WONDER it failed!")

2 weeks later
#288 4 years ago

Sorry about the party slobs, Eddie, but your wife does great work on the party themes. Sounds like a cool place to have a party, as long as the guests show a little respect for the pins and the establishment itself.

1 week later
#302 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

On a side note one of the owners Steve Zahler has begun working with NYC schools on a special learning program about pinball and the science related to it here at Modern.
Classes are brought to Modern where Steve goes over Pinball machines and what makes them work.
I think its a great idea and should be expanded to other cities and states.
more info here http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/education/
Posted are a few pics of a table he through together last night with some random parts that he will discuss in this mornings class.

That's awesome!

1 week later
#307 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Can you guess why it caused the transistors to blow?

Apparently no one knows, so spill it.

2 weeks later
#321 4 years ago

This thread is awesome! I learn an awful lot every time I visit it. Please don't stop, Eddie.

1 week later
#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Can you tell at least one thing that is wrong with the way both assemblies were installed? This is the right side.

The coil was mounted backwards, with the wires on the same side as the coil stop instead of the opposite side of the coil stop (i.e., makes solder joints more susceptible to breakage due to coil stop vibration)?

Quoted from Eddie:

4.jpg
Here the new left flipper coil has been installed and soon to be wired up. One thing of note that was just brought up on another thread is the location of the coil spring washer. On this one the washer is against the coil holding bracket and the coil stop sits nice and flush with the coil.
6.jpg
On the right side flipper note the gap between the coil stop and coil and the angle that the stop sits at due to the washer being mounted on the stop side. It may be hard to see perfectly in the pics as my camera really sucks.

So the lesson here is the coil spring washer should always be on the opposite side of the coil stop?

1 month later
#390 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

FLR and the owners haven't a clue as to what it takes to repair a machine. They think all repairs should be around 5mins. They don't understand that a stuck flipper or coil etc can be caused by many numerous things, some that are very easy and quick to remedy and others very time consuming and or hard.
That is why I choose to work on some machines over others with a time limit involved. Its like pinball triage working at Modern.
Hmmmmm 3 League machines that need board work or major overhaul to get running or 5 non league machines needing a flipper rubber or a switch adjustment or a few wires needing to be resoldered?
I believe the staff feels that all repairs should be 5min or less because I do diagnose and repair so many machines so quickly and make it appear that its the norm. They do not understand unforeseen circumstances that can keep a machine down which causes them to scramble for a back up league machine.
I also feel that 5 machines down are worse then 3 and that the League machines are not more important to the Modern visitor than any other machines.
Damned if you do damned if you don't!

Eddie, in an ideal world, it it was up to me, I would fire the other tech, build out a real workshop with proper tooling and spare parts for you at the back of the building, and give you a 20% "nuisance raise" for having to deal with certain people, who have now been added to my ignore list.

Illegitimi non carborundum!

3 weeks later
#414 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

The issue was that one of the ribbon cable ends on the color DMD display worked a bit loose corrupting the logic. The logic had to be reprogrammed and that took care of it.
How it was reprogrammed I wasn't told but if your Color DMD screen goes out this may be the same reason.

It's pretty easy to upload a ColorDMD firmware file...

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Why? I better keep that info to myself. Thanks for the compliment.

Keep it up, Eddie. Your posts and photos here are greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside