(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
#401 4 years ago

Pfff.....on second thought...maybe I won't take the 5 hr drive to check out modern if that's how your going to "Fix" machines....and what the hell were you thinking going to get food....the White Castle can wait till League is over.......man I'll tell yaa...some people....!!!

F'em all Eddie.....to us you are a God and don't let anyone tell you different....!!!.................Joey

#402 4 years ago

4/22

AF ..Right lower flipper remains up until left flipper button is depressed. This is an AF fliptronics 1 board type of issue only. Normally caused by a bad or broken flipper diode on both right or left
side flipper coils.

Here in fact the left flipper left side diode was detached from the coil.

4.jpg

In this case both sets of diodes on both coils were replaced which led to the next step as the issue continued.

Testing the hold TIP 102 transistor on the Fliptronics board. This was done along with the 2n4403 pre driver and both tested good. The right flipper coil was tested as well and tested good.
All the fliptronics board diodes,resistors etc relating to the right flipper hold were tested and checked out ok.
The problem still remains so the Tip 102 will be replaced today and its pre driver even thou they tested as ok in circuit.
AF still down Ouch!

Dr Dude… Was told the Popper kept popping. When I took a look I could see why can you?

2.jpg

The popper is actuated by a fork type of switch actuator when the weight of the ball depresses the plunger cup which is held in the up position on the plunger by the switch fork. In this case there was never an up position of the ball cup as it was Glued down to the plunger rod????????????????

As the plunger dropped with the ball cup in the compressed position it actuated the switch energizing the popper. When the plunger dropped back down it actuated the switch repeating the process. I suppose who ever glued the cup to the plunger didn't understand how it worked.

On top of that the plunger return spring was shot.
3.jpg

The unit could not be disassembled for repairs because the coil brackets threaded inserts had broken off with the screws frozen within.
The entire assembly needs replacing with none in stock and without a new ball cup style plunger Dr Dude still out another fail.

#403 4 years ago

4/23

VND .. A new CPU/ Sound Board arrived as the other board was toast.
Machine now comes up but there is no Display.

Kiss ..spent most of the eve trying to unfreeze two screws from the Left Flipper base coil stop bracket now that the new coil arrived.
The coil stop along with every other part of the assembly was shot.
Went out for some WD40 as we have none for these type of issues.
After an hour soak nothing the screws just laughed at me.
What was really needed was a torch or impact driver we don't have either.
Impacting the screw heads with a screwdriver and hammer to cause vibration shock had no effect. Vise grips on the screw heads had no effect. Didn't want to break screws off or ruin the base plate. What to do as time was really being wasted on two screws?
I could see there was no locking compounded used so what the hell was holding these screws so tightly?
Couldn't grind the heads off as we have no grinder.
Finally I decided to apply the vise grips to the coil stop bracket and twist it right and left to see if that would at least loosen or make a small gap with the screw heads.
I thought it was a dumb idea but what did i have to lose at this point? What do you know it worked. Finally got the screws out cleanly and completely rebuilt the flipper mech. Will be placing an order for some new Older Bally flipper brackets for the future.

DM … Lower popper wouldn't fire due to opto problem. Car crash 1 Xmitter opto was bad causing the ball popper opto to go crazy as well the fix was to replace it.

#404 4 years ago

Wow, reading all this makes me wonder why you get so much shit if you can't get something fixed, even after all you've done there. I have great respect for your work, but if they can't have their spare parts and equipment in a better state, why still take shit for credit?

#405 4 years ago

Steve Epstein ought to be ashamed of what's going on there.

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

4/23
VND ..
Went out for some WD40 as we have none for these type of issues.
After an hour soak nothing the screws just laughed at me.

Have a tap and punch set as well as an easyout kit. I'm 3 blocks away. Also, I use Kroil instead of the wd40. lmk if ever need it.

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

The following was then heard throughout Modern. Announced by a Modern employee no less.
"KISS is OUT the first night of "League" and a machine is already down that was fast shows how they fix machines here KISS is out First night this is how they fix machines"
I went out to get something to eat and upon return I get
" You fix DM is fucking not working thats how you fix"

You work for an absolute lunatic.

It's a testament to how much people love pinball that this place hasn't gone under yet with this kind of "management."

Kind of surprised the guy doing all the yelling doesn't quit his job at modern at the first hint of trouble, like he quit on his NYC Pinball league team (that he was the captain of) when they started 1-5 this season.

#409 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I was in Modern Pinball earlier this week - and was really impressed with the condition of all the machines. Great place.

#410 4 years ago

4/28

AC/DC…… Lower playfield kickout opto due to Dirt no pics.

WPT…….. Was told right Flipper was broken on upper playfield.

Once again a Stern coil stop bolt head broke off in the flipper base

5.jpg

Got lucky with this one as the bolt shaft was not frozen so a pair of vise grips removed it without any stripping. (Always turn a shaft like this clockwise as seen from the bolt head side in a tightening fashion to pull the shaft through.)

6.jpg

About an hour later while working on AC/DC I am asked "Which upper flipper you fix on WPT? Because now it no works again" I said the Right was told "OK its left this time"

Sure enough

7.jpg

Can you see why? Yes easy quick fix but a PITA. Couldn't it have done it an hour before while I was working on the right flipper? When is someone going to amend Murphys" Law?

8.jpg

SM Right flipper

1.jpg

Lifted the playfield and…………

2.jpg

4.jpg

In the bottom of the cabinet…..

3.jpg

Note in the above pic that the markings of the coil spring washer are etched in the coil stop. This is what probably contributed to the stop failing. The coil spring washer should be on the coil mounting bracket side NOT the coil stop side of the coil. Who Dunnit?

WOZ ….Just as I was leaving for the eve,that damned Murphy

POPbumper

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

No WOZ pop bumper rods in stock so WOZ is down first time in awhile.

#411 4 years ago

Eddie, why won't Modern Pinball set up a proper workshop/table with back up parts? Flux costs what 10 bucks? Wd 40 5 bucks? Proper set of basic tools say 600 bucks. Total set up 2k inc parts why not? Pinball is their business.

I'll tell you why because you are so good they don't see a need to.

#412 4 years ago

I didn't post anything on 4/49 and 4/30 as I was far to busy so that was a fail.

However on those two days there was only one issue worth mentioning as the rest were minor.

The New color DMD on TSPP display went out and I tried to no avail to find the cause so I swapped back in a standard DMD display.

I had to go to Modern on Sunday as my wife decorates themed B-day parties and other affairs there.

The color display was back in and working. Upon asking I was told by Steve Epstein that he had called the mfg and had the other tech talk with the Color DMD tech. The issue was that one of the ribbon cable ends on the color DMD display worked a bit loose corrupting the logic. The logic had to be reprogrammed and that took care of it.

How it was reprogrammed I wasn't told but if your Color DMD screen goes out this may be the same reason.

Quoted from PinPatch:

Eddie, why won't Modern Pinball set up a proper workshop/table with back up parts? Flux costs what 10 bucks? Wd 40 5 bucks? Proper set of basic tools say 600 bucks. Total set up 2k inc parts why not? Pinball is their business.
I'll tell you why because you are so good they don't see a need to.

Why? I better keep that info to myself. Thanks for the compliment.

I met some Pinsiders at Allentown that introduced themselves to me due to this thread and I want to say thank you for all of the nice words you guys made the show special.

Just as a reminder, I started this thread hoping to pass along info on what can fail in a Pinball machine and if you own a machine maybe you will find something in what I post, that can or will help you.
Again if you have any questions about a repair that I post about feel free to ask.

#413 4 years ago

I'm REALLY sorry I missed you at Allentown, Eddie!

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

The issue was that one of the ribbon cable ends on the color DMD display worked a bit loose corrupting the logic. The logic had to be reprogrammed and that took care of it.
How it was reprogrammed I wasn't told but if your Color DMD screen goes out this may be the same reason.

It's pretty easy to upload a ColorDMD firmware file...

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Why? I better keep that info to myself. Thanks for the compliment.

Keep it up, Eddie. Your posts and photos here are greatly appreciated.

#416 4 years ago

I met Eddie at Allentown, he is a one of the good guys. was nice to see him in person, gave me
a lot of tips for my new to me Banzai Run and we also talked about a Safecracker that I picked up in
Allentown, Thanks again Eddie for all the stuff you post keep it coming
Cheers
Gerry

#417 4 years ago

5/6

SM…Both Doc Ock entrance optos. Its very unusual for both opts to go bad but that was the case here.

1.jpg

To remove and replace the optos you need to remove the ball guides. Here the first on the left.

2.jpg

The first ball guide was removed. The LED housing (along with its insulation paper) was removed with the thought that the Opto board would fit through the playfield but it would not. The opto must be pulled up through the playfield with the connector passing throughout the hole so you can retain the housing on the opto and save a step.

3.jpg

4.jpg

On to the other Opto.

5.jpg

Removing the right side ball guide requires the removal of the plastics. First the clear two screws and a spacer don't misplace the spacer or drop it into the machine. No it didn't happen just making you aware that it could happen as its not attached to the plastic.

Then one wood screw down into the playfield removes the colored plastic.

The ball guide is held with two nuts and washers. The first is here.

6.jpg

The second is located in a recessed hole and it is best to use a magnet or long thin needle nose pliers to remove the washer without having it drop into the machine.

7.jpg

Here the ball guide has been removed and note the paper insulator that covers the back of the opto board . The best way to reinstall this after removal is to align the opto housing with the mounting holes then with the insulator FLATTENED OUT slide it into position between the opto and the mount..
You just need to align one screw mount hole first and start a crew then just swivel the other into position.

8.jpg

BIG FAIL New interns decided to re arrange the supply closet with its only shelf and look what happened.

9.jpg

The shelf was placed behind the door whereas the door cannot open enough to remove the work station Sheer Genius!!!!!!!! They must have also done the shelf shifting with the cart in the closet as there is no physical way that they could have shoved it through the door after. The cart is 4 inches wider then the door entrance now. There are attached power cord mounts that you can't see in the pic. They are jammed behind the wall.

Not sure if you can make it out but that is THE supply shelf how many important things can you see?

10.jpg

TSPP ..Color DMD went out again this time another connector worked loose and again the code had to be ref lashed. It also turns out that the display in Modern is an older one so the Key had to be obtained via email to unlock the color portion of the logic.

#418 4 years ago

5/6

All but two pics deleted FAIL!

TOM… Skillshot switch #3 due to Diode leg separating from lug.

1.jpg

Right Eddy sensor gave up the ghost.

TZ…. Proximity sensor due to cold solder joints on board.

Shooter lane diverter due to misaligned plate.

VND Changed out a transistor as per Stern techs suggestion and still no change.

Here the only pic of the work just after installing the transistor before the legs are bent into the direction of the traces and soldered.

2.jpg

1 min before leaving as usual something happens and this time the T2 cannon stopped rotating.
Will work on it this eve.

#419 4 years ago

@Eddie: I've had a similar issue with the kickout on the AC/DC lower playfield. You say it was caused by dirt on the opto? How exactly did you clean it out? Thanks!!

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from scp:

@Eddie: I've had a similar issue with the kickout on the AC/DC lower playfield. You say it was caused by dirt on the opto? How exactly did you clean it out? Thanks!!

Removed the optos and cleaned them with (windex with vinegar) not windex blue. If you have 90% or better alcohol use that.

#421 4 years ago

5/7

My cameras flash card failed!!!!!!

T2…... Cannon due to the capacitor on the motor driver board losing one of its legs!

TWD….. Prison head shot not registering due to the switch blades making constant contact.

#422 4 years ago

5/11

GS (League machine)…... Ball count lights out and without schematics it was a long road of buzzing out all related wires. I spent an hour trying to trace the wires from the 4 pin connector but in the jumble of tightly tied wires it was crazy. However, Pinsides' Steve P was at Modern for league night and he happens to have a GS of his own. He directed me to the stepper unit in the back box which I had previously taken a look at but in pitch darkness. Blindly reaching around the back box ,while I viewed the lights from the front, he fiddled with the wires and made an intermittent contact that lit the lights. He said he felt the broken wire was behind the stepper unit. I lowered the stepper unit and the wire reared its ugly head. The wires tab had broken away from the stepper plate.
Its an odd set up as there are two tabbed wires connected to the same contact on the plate. Why didn't they just connect the two wires together and solder them to one tab on the plate? That was my fix. Thanks Steve for the help you saved tons of time.

In the pics you can see the wire with lug tab still attached.

1.jpg
2.jpg

AC/DC ….. League machine real odd cannon issue. Cannon fires on its own about 2 seconds after eject switch is activated. While working on that issue (Still not resolved) there was the smell of something burning and then I saw a small flareup of the left ramp diverter coil. Machine was out for the eve. No shorted coil connecting wires or driving transistor . Must have been an internal coil short. Still stumped as to the Cannon issue as al switches are working without any shorts. If I get a chance today Ill pull the eject switch diode off to see if it has gone bad and might be the cause.

3.jpg
4.jpg

VND….. 3 switches out. One due to its connector not connected, One because it was missing altogether and the last the opto receiver board is not getting power have one on order.

Power LED not active.
5.jpg

#423 4 years ago

5/15

VND …Bad rollover switch due to a worn out internal spring.

1.jpg

Shoot again lamp out due to wires backing out of socket.

2.jpg

CSI …Eject hole switch due to ground wire coming off of lug.
5.jpg

BR ..Ballcarrier wouldn't move the final third of its travel. Due to a board wire harness wire snagging on the carrier from behind no time for a pic.

TSSP….. replaced older version of Color DMD board.

Big Buck Hunter just arrived along with Monopoly.

BBH…... backbox bulb out and elk switch not registering easily I will look into that tonight.

3.jpg
4.jpg

#424 4 years ago

5/14

BBH Buck switch not too sensitive. Took awhile to figure out how it came apart to clean it and found that it is some sort of eddy sensor switch.

Here you can see the casing is full of old grease.

1.jpg

Many parts involved with very small screws.
2.jpg

AF Ball missing due to it floating around in the thing catch basket and why because the kick out coil wasn't firing and why??? That is what took me close to an hour to solve as nothing made sense.

Coil had power and correct ohms. Coil fired with direct grounding but just once? Coil fired from TIP 102 direct grounding but once? Coil in test would fire but just once? What was going on? the plunger was free and clear the sleeve was perfect. Turned out that the return spring became too weak to bring the plunger completely back. We don't have any springs in stock so I did the hack of stretching out the spring and everything worked again. One note is that the Thing catch pan had to be removed ,to extract the errant ball, and in doing so the screw holes in the playfield were weekend even though it didn't appear so. About an hour after the repair the balls were again missing this time because the pan fell out of its mounting because the screws simply couldn't hold in the playfield. Some bamboo installed in the holes and all was back to normal again. What a drag removing that dirty pan twice! Funny thing the screws bit tight with the initial reinstallation.

3.jpg

#425 4 years ago

5/19

Monopoly …. Bank door due to Opto board going bad.

Opto board below playfield failed center receivers don't register.

1.jpg

Rollover switch …. due to actuator separation of wire form from end. This is very common and the cause of many switch failures especially on STERN round/arched wire form actuators on rollovers.
No matter how small the wire form gap from the end of the actuator baled it will cause a non working switch.

Here the gap is very pronounced many times it is almost hard to see.

18.jpg

BR….. Left flipper due to F6 blowing.

Stupid Fuse blown pic

2.jpg

Upper playfield VUK due to fork portion of switch actuator breaking off at end of blade.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

In order to play a game with the all important VUK out of service you must disable the ball lifter motor. This is done by disconnecting one of the power wires from the motors power terminals.
The software now compensates for playing a full game without the use of the upper playfield.

11.jpg

WOZ…. ball trough coil due to being cooked to death. This also caused a fuse to fail which disabled all coils in the machine.

15.jpg

17.jpg

One note that should really be in another thread posted on Pinside about a light for working.

At Modern we have a similar light only it is battery operated so you are free of cords and the light it puts out is amazing. If it is sitting in the cabinet there are very few shadows cast on a raised up playfield. Big drawback at Modern there are never any batteries!

12.jpg

Punchy the Clown Drop targets drop too low causing balls to get stuck in the drop target slot.

No pics and the target bank height is non adjustable.

TOM Trunk stopped turning will look into it tonight.

BSD DMD went out will look into it tonight.

#426 4 years ago

5/20

Many down machines all within a few minutes of each other and a real issue with the Monopoly Bank optos that led to a very trying eve.

Dr Dude… VUK due to wire detaching from coil lug.

1.jpg

BSD … Display due to power connector pins having cold solder joints.

2.jpg

ST …… Left Flipper due to surprise surprise coil stop mounting bolt heads shearing off.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

GS no pics….. wouldn't start a game due to a switch blade coming out of the ball counter relay.

Monopoly … Bank optos not registering. An amazing amount of time and frustration was spent in trying to solve the issue starting with the replacement of the opto receiver board. No manual, New board behaved as the old. after pulling my hair out on every form of diagnosis (almost 2 hrs worth)
Turns out that for some reason the top emitting optos no longer align perfectly with the receivers and I mean they must be perfect no angles in the slightest. I managed to align just two transmitter board optos with the receiver optos by bending the Bank door roof ever so slightly. That is all I could possibly get and so only two out of the 4 opto switches are now working. There must be a better style of receiving opto that can be used that has a wider angle useful range.

#427 4 years ago

You should have a Black Hole and Haunted House there for more fun. Aside from the "Upgraded " Cactus Canyon that was trapping balls next to the bandit at least once an hour due to no ball search in the program, those two Gottlieb monstrosities were a headache for all workers at the recent VFW pinball Showcase.

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You should have a Black Hole and Haunted House there for more fun. Aside from the "Upgraded " Cactus Canyon that was trapping balls next to the bandit at least once an hour due to no ball search in the program, those two Gottlieb monstrosities were a headache for all workers at the recent VFW pinball Showcase.

We had both Haunted House and CC at modern for sometime but they were replaced. One for rotation the other to be placed at another location.

#429 4 years ago

5/21

Didnt get a chance to post about last Thurs

VND ….Switch was not mounted correctly which bent the actuator arm.

Switch should be mounted on the outside of the bracket not the inside as it is here.

2.jpg

BSD …DMD supply board many issues first is that the Resistor is just floating in the board holes all solder has cracked to the point of not holding the leads at all.

3.jpg

The board needs to be rebuilt its a mess.

4.jpg

Thats about it for last Thurs lets see what I will find this eve.

#430 4 years ago

5/26

Avatar LE ….. Right Flipper due to wire break at lug and Plunger Link Pawl Connection.

2 Flashers due to one a burned out bulb the other a broken off socket lug wire. no pics.

1.jpg

Whats wrong in this pic?

6.jpg

Transformers….. Spinner not registering due to bracket being bend up too far to the right and ball not making good contact.

In the pic you can see the lower left corner of the spinner has been peened flat by ball strikes.

8.jpg

BR… Fork Blade switch arrived

Here you can see the comparison of broken and new switch before the installation of new switch.

10.jpg

BBH… Buck stopped registering. I had a look at the switch last week in a rush and only cleaned what I could access but it didn't really change anything as the switch seldom registered no matter how it was hit. I thought it was a form of eddy sensor from the quick look. Last night I had some rare time and I decided to remove the switch from the playfield and have a better look into it. and if It couldn't be repaired a new one was to be ordered.

12.jpg

13.jpg

This is about where I got last week with the switch still left in the machine. Its hard to see but there is a metal Cover held down by the 4 nuts under tension by an expansion spring. It turns out that this switch is basically a tilt type mech with the rod being the pendulum and the cover is the ring.

14.jpg

Here with the cover removed and you can see a white line where the rod makes contact with the cover. There is also a spring that goes around the rod and inside the cover I didn't get a pic. This spring is what determines the travel tension between the rod/Pole and cover/Ring. By tightening down the cover nuts the sensitivity is adjusted.

Can you see in pic 18 the hint as to the cause of the switch failure? Also note in background the Ring/Cover.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Here is what it looks like beneath the moving plate that the rod is attached to. Lots of old grease.

20.jpg

Here is the cover upside down where the spring sits. If you look carefully you can see the cause of the failure. Of course it would have been easier to see had I taken a pic of the spring.

The center is covered in rust as was the entire spring. The remedy was to use scocthbrite green and polish them to shiny new. The rust prevented contact from being made between the ROD, SPRING and SPRING cover. Didn't get the chance to get pics but both parts cover and spring shined like mirrors. Switch now works great Buck registers from all sides as it should and the game is a hell of a lot of fun

21.jpg

#431 4 years ago

5/27

I failed to make it in to Modern due to my other job!

I should therefore have twice the work this eve.

#432 4 years ago

The person who fails Modern Pinball is that short/fat guy w/the eastern block accident at the front desk. My girlfriend and I went there once and he was kinda rude (like a put up or shut up/this is my place way), so I just chalked it up as East Coast Mentality to my girl, but she said, "NO, that guy at the front desk is just an Asshole." She's from Jersey, so I guess she'd know better then me.
I won't stop going there when I'm in town, but that dude at the front desk needs to be cool. I

#433 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

The person who fails Modern Pinball is that short/fat guy w/the eastern block accident at the front desk. My girlfriend and I went there once and he was kinda rude (like a put up or shut up/this is my place way), so I just chalked it up as East Coast Mentality to my girl, but she said, "NO, that guy at the front desk is just an Asshole." She's from Jersey, so I guess she'd know better then me.
I won't stop going there when I'm in town, but that dude at the front desk needs to be cool. I

First off let me apologize for any unpleasant experience that you may have had at Modern.

Are you referring to the one and only FLR?

10301933_10202599924693557_3366577563102807631_n.jpg

I understand that he becomes harsh at times.
You must have caught him at a very stressful time as he does work unbelievably hard for Modern and the Tournaments that are run there. I am not making any excuses for him ( He and I are on the outs for the last 3 weeks). I will ask the owners if they can somehow compensate you with some Time Credit.

One more thing he is not from an Eastern Block country unless Italy has recently been taken over by Putin.

Once again I apologize on behalf of Modern and will bring the matter to the owners attention..

#434 4 years ago

Yup. I'm sure guys can have bad days, but leave it at home and not at Modern Pinball. He can be that way to me all day and I wouldn't care, but when girls or new people walk in that front door, he should have a little more compassion.

#435 4 years ago

5/28

All machines were working upon arrival with the exception of some issues that arose while I was not there. It was a good chance to clean some play fields.

DM… No sound. I pulled the sound board and saw that below U27 someone had tried to repair replace it?
There was a lot of damage on the solder side but I didn't take pics.
I discovered that the trace to pin 4 (From left to right in the pic) was also broken. I made a stitch for that trace to the pin on the solder side and reinstalled the board but nothing changed which is what I thought considering the damage. The board needs to go to my shop for proper repair.

1.jpg

Xenon….. all pop switches out of adjustment

TOM…..Just 2 mins till quitting time a player complained about the Trunk. Upon inspection the trunk proved to be fine but center ramp switch 71 was not registering. Of course its a switch below another ramp which will have to be removed.

You can just make out the actuator in the pics. The other tech will have to replace it as I won't return until Tues.

2.jpg

3.jpg

#436 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

My girlfriend and I went there once and he was kinda rude (like a put up or shut up/this is my place way), so I just chalked it up as East Coast Mentality to my girl, but she said, "NO, that guy at the front desk is just an Asshole." She's from Jersey, so I guess she'd know better then me.

And what, exactly, is THAT supposed to mean?

#437 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Yup. I'm sure guys can have bad days, but leave it at home and not at Modern Pinball. He can be that way to me all day and I wouldn't care, but when girls or new people walk in that front door, he should have a little more compassion.

you are talking about my friend francesco which is in my eyes 1 of the biggest supporters/contributors in pinball of this time when it comes to NY Pinball tournaments / leagues.. he is absolutly not an A hole as ur girlfriend says he is, as i know him personally for many years now.

im for sure that u might have caught him on a bad day, and yes i dare to say that also you poster had a bad day on a place where you really shouldnt have a bad day but you did.. dont take it out on him because you had a one time bad experience with him. he is one of my best friends in the world of pinball which happens to work for Modern Pinball NYC

francesco.jpg

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

dont take it out on him because you had a one time bad experience with him

WTH ? Who else to blame it on? The poor hobo across the street? This is the funniest thing I've read.

First impressions..

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

WTH ? Who else to blame it on? The poor hobo across the street? This is the funniest thing I've read.
First impressions..

maybe i do have to say that english is not my primary language.. so take it with some salt.
the point is that FLR his efforts in pinball are tremendously, he deserves better then being trashtalked over here

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

maybe i do have to say that english is not my primary language.. so take it with some salt.
the point is that FLR his efforts in pinball are tremendously, he deserves better then being trashtalked over here

Oh yeah, I figured as much! Just came across as an amusing way to say it, is all.

#441 4 years ago

Francesco is the man! Europeans are often mistaken for rude or brash (wait, we can be loud lol) Una faccia una razza Paizano!

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

you are talking about my friend francesco which is in my eyes 1 of the biggest supporters/contributors in pinball of this time when it comes to NY Pinball tournaments / leagues.. he is absolutly not an A hole as ur girlfriend says he is, as i know him personally for many years now.
im for sure that u might have caught him on a bad day, and yes i dare to say that also you poster had a bad day on a place where you really shouldnt have a bad day but you did.. dont take it out on him because you had a one time bad experience with him. he is one of my best friends in the world of pinball which happens to work for Modern Pinball NYC
francesco.jpg

Well...I guess he told you!

In the future, please direct all accusations of assholedom towards me--whether I earn them or not. I'm always happy to take the blame for somebody else, and you can be pretty sure that absolutely NOBODY will jump to my defense.

#443 4 years ago

I call it like I see it. FLR thank you for your PM.

#444 4 years ago

6/2

DM .. Sound still out but the sound board rebuild kit came in.

The only thing I could do with the tools available and allotted time was to remove U29 and U21. I think Ill take the board to my shop at home and work on it between my restoration work.

3.jpg

Pins ready for removal

4.jpg

Pins removed and holes to be cleaned of solder.

5.jpg

TOM.. Numerous issues and after 4 days of me not being at Modern no one replaced the bad center ramp switch!!!!!
In other words you couldn't spell MAGIC and start mutilball in that way.

The offending switch with no quick access so of course its the one to fail.

9.jpg

Both ramps must be removed to get to the switch then we didn't have a new switch with a proper actuator so I had to make a new actuator
out of a long straight actuator and install it on a new switch. Didnt have time for pics but it became a perfect match for the old one.

Probably a good idea to have a stockpile of the long straight blade actuators so you can always make the desired shape you may need. The one problem is that if the actuator you are trying to replicate is broken off, without reference, it may be hard to know the correct angles to bend and where to bend them and the correct length.

10.jpg

Ball Trough… Due to F104 Blowing... due to the Ball Trough Sleeve backing out causing a ball jam.

6.jpg

Backglass upper Trim. Split down the middle

7.jpg

Left center Stand up target due to contact falling out of switch blade.

GS…….. wouldnt reset the 1000 points reel due to its switch blades being dirty and out of adjustment.

One curiosity is that all of the score reels have "Switches" wired up and mounted but are never supposed to make contact or can't by any means?

Would anyone know the reason for these "Switches" Why they are there what their purpose is?

Weird Open Blade "Switches" I use quotation marks because they really are not switches I don't know what they are.

2.jpg

1.jpg

TAF…. Left Flipper Flutter due to wire off of coil lug. Bad pic as my camera just can't seem to focus in some situations.

8.jpg

#445 4 years ago

Note that the score reel pic above looks like the EOS switch has been broken off - both blades appear to be missing. I'm not sure which game this is - I can do a quick check of the schematic (or a similar one) if I know.

#446 4 years ago

Oh, and the things that appear at first glance to be switches are actually protectors to ensure that the switch doesn't accidentally make contact with the frame or get stuck on the coil, etc. They are switch protectors.

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

Ehhh... I don't know there.

It could be cultural differences but my impression of him is also not favorable and I've only read his posts here on pinside. If you look at a few of the posts between he and I earlier in the thread, I think I said he should give Eddie some respect and he responded with trash talking about how crappy every league besides the Modern super league is and insulting me personally.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

#448 4 years ago

6/3 and 6/4

Got too busy to post for 6/3 so Ill combine the two days. I guess the days don't really matter but my memory sucks as to all that was done.

TOM.. Newton ball would get stuck as Ball guides got bent in

2 center ramp stand up targets were replaced.

F104 Fuse Blew... due to Pinbits ball trough sleeve backing out and causing a jam. This is the second time its happened. The Sleeve is a great mod however it needs to be attached using double stick tape.

TWD ..Ballgate wire form in shooter lane broke off.

BR …Lock VUK in upper playfield not registering due to Ball cup pin backing out and binding the switch blade.

Kick back…. Due to wire coming off of coil lug

3.jpg

BSD …Ball kicker collar sheared off

2.jpg

PZ….Right Flipper due to wire coming off of coil Lug

1.jpg

AF …….. Ball shooter due to wire coming off of coil Lug

4.jpg

One GI string out due to blown fuse.

GS ….Large target Bank not getting power to reset coils not solved yet.

WOZ.. Display still out waiting word from JJP.

DM.. Sound board still out waiting for me to take home this weekend for repair.

and about 7 other things that I cant remember.

#449 4 years ago

thanks for keeping up with the posts Eddie, I really enjoy following your daily operating WTF failed thread.

#450 4 years ago

Not a typical Post but just thought I would share what I deal with when I have to work with other "techs"

The sound board on DM has been out so someone decided they would replace a transistor and this is the result.

4.jpg

Now here is the result when I remove a transistor.

5.jpg

This is just a sample of what must be dealt with when not the sole tech.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside