(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The coil was mounted backwards, with the wires on the same side as the coil stop instead of the opposite side of the coil stop (i.e., makes solder joints more susceptible to breakage due to coil stop vibration)?

So the lesson here is the coil spring washer should always be on the opposite side of the coil stop?

Correct and Yes!

3/5

What failed today???? Nothing failing thats what! With standard League play and a Corporate Party for Twitter with 40 persons attending nothing failed.

How can this be?

Same machines as always, same amount of play. Something fishy is going on.

Maybe I just dreamt it?

Its not April 1st.

Did the Gremlins take the night off?

Does this mean that all of the Machines will fail tomorrow?

This is a day that should go down in the annals of Pinball records. Walter Day are you listening?

#352 4 years ago

Glad you had an easy day! We had 18 pins on free play for the last couple days getting a lot of play. We had to do a lot of running around tweaking and fixing things. I have huge respect for what you do!

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

How can this be?
Same machines as always, same amount of play. Something fishy is going on.
Maybe I just dreamt it?
Its not April 1st.
Did the Gremlins take the night off?
This is a day that should go down in the annals of Pinball records. Walter Day are you listening?

There's only 2 possible explanations for this.

1. You repaired everything too proper, now nothing is failing.
2. The other guy took care of everything before you got there.

Time for a poll.
I vote for #1

#354 4 years ago

I'd just like to know who down-voted continuing this thread...

Quoted from mwsmith:

There's only 2 possible explanations for this.
1. You repaired everything too proper, now nothing is failing.
2. The other guy took care of everything before you got there.
Time for a poll.
I vote for #1

It's probably just because the other tech didn't come in before Eddie!

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

How did I miss this thread? Thanks for doing this Eddie. I'll be in after work today to beat on Whitewater and perhaps break yesterday's monotony.

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's probably just because the other tech didn't come in before Eddie!

The other Tech does not work on the days that I work they are his days off.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Same here.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I am only there tue-wed-thrs eve from 5 until 9:30- 10. I was there Sat as well because my wife decorates the Themed B-day parties for Modern and on Sat the switch was working. So you deduced the obvious as to what goes on at Modern. Something I have been pulling my hair out over in this thread.

Just for the record, it was NOT me that did this! But Stampede is playing fine at Cowgirl. Sherry says hi!

#358 4 years ago

3/10

WH20…. R Flipper stuck up

2.jpg

Cause was the bolt falling out of link. This is a very common occurrence at Modern. Usually caused by the pawl cutting through the link bolt, more often then a locknut backing out.

3.jpg

As this backing out took some time, wear was induced in the pawl.

4.jpg

Here an upclose of the deformed hole and metal shavings.

5.jpg

TWD.. Prison Doors not opening consistently due to dirt in hinges and an over heating coil.

Zombie head …. Not being activated regularly due to switch blade gap too large.

Here the gap can be seen and should be adjusted a hairs distance apart but not too close for false activations. The switch is just an standup target mounted below.

1.jpg

Metttalica ….Right loop switch. Due to activator being bent. This is very common on the Stern switches of this type. I could get a good pic but if the wire form that is soldered to the actuator arm
separates from the tip of the arm due to bending (EVEN THE SLIGHEST BIT) the switch button will not be depressed by the arm. The wire form MUST sit flush on the switch actuator arm. As I have said this is very common on these type of Stern Switches and are the reason for lots of switch failures.

Here is a pic of the switch but the gap is hidden by the switch mount plastic.

6.jpg

TOM …Both Flippers out of adjustment.

#359 4 years ago

3/11

SM …….. The Sand Man got sand bagged

1.jpg

The pins from which he is mounted can no longer hold him as the holes in his back became enlarged from vibrations,hits etc,

2.jpg

Right Front slingshot mounting T Nut..

Note the odd piece of metal on the slingshot machine screw tip.
3.jpg

The T nut body sheared off of its base
4.jpg

Here is a good T Nut for comparison
5.jpg

Because the T nut was broken the slingshot was flopping around.

BSD ….Balls wouldnt lock in Castle lock due to a missing ball. There were only 3 balls in the machine?

FG……. Ball stuck between R slingshot and inline guide due to inline guide working loose and shifting closer towards slingshot.

#360 4 years ago

Egads ... of all the things I've ever seen broken on a game, I don't think I've ever, once, seen a broken t-nut.

#361 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

3/11
SM …….. The Sand Man got sand bagged

Better than getting tea bagged, I suppose.

#362 4 years ago

3/12

Xenon… Right flipper shaft worked loose in pawl.

That was it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from litz:

Egads ... of all the things I've ever seen broken on a game, I don't think I've ever, once, seen a broken t-nut.

If something can be broken on a Pin it will be at Modern Pinball NYC. The ultimate Pinball proving ground.

#363 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

BSD ….Balls wouldnt lock in Castle lock due to a missing ball. There were only 3 balls in the machine?

Next time you raise the playfield listen for the missing one in the far right corner, it might have jumped into there.

#364 4 years ago

3/17

St Patrick must have sent the Snakes to Modern as there were consistent breakdowns too many to take any pics. Most were small (No soldering involved)

WOZ …R Castle Door , Right Flipper bushing.

DM Both Flippers worn

TZ Right Ramp Deflector stopping.

FG Insert Light string.

AF POP bumper switch, Rear left ramp switch

Xenon insert lamps

FH insert lamps,

TOM Trunk, Ball lane guide

Numerous stuck balls at least 7 that I counted there were more.

There were also other issues I just can't remember.

#365 4 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

Next time you raise the playfield listen for the missing one in the far right corner, it might have jumped into there.

When I bought mine it had 2 balls back there, pita to get out.

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

3/17
St Patrick must have sent the Snakes to Modern as there were consistent breakdowns too many to take any pics. Most were small (No soldering involved)
WOZ …R Castle Door , Right Flipper bushing.
DM Both Flippers worn
TZ Right Ramp Deflector stopping.
FG Insert Light string.
AF POP bumper switch, Rear left ramp switch
Xenon insert lamps
FH insert lamps,
TOM Trunk, Ball lane guide
Numerous stuck balls at least 7 that I counted there were more.
There were also other issues I just can't remember.

Drunken pins.

#367 4 years ago

3/18

Breakdowns back to normal no time for pics.

TZ…... Proximity sensor

Xenon……. false Tilts

Wh20…... Broken Ramp wire gate and its related switch

VND….. Ramp switch and its harness, Trough switch.

TWD….DMD display out, Slingshot rubber

AF ……Ramp switch

Numerous stuck balls

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

3/18
Breakdowns back to normal no time for pics.
Xenon……. false Tilts

..It's one of those days. I read this as 'False Tits', and had me confused for a moment.

#369 4 years ago

beelzeboob said:

Eddie said:
Same here.

Eddie....was it you...???....were you trying to light'n the load a little.... .....lol..jk bud....hope to make it over there soon...............Joey

#370 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

beelzeboob said:
Eddie said:
Same here.
Eddie....was it you...???....were you trying to light'n the load a little.... .....lol..jk bud....hope to make it over there soon...............Joey

It wasn't me. Maybe the other tech???

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

It wasn't me. Maybe the other tech???

#372 4 years ago

3/19

VND... R Lock switch. Here another example of poor design with repair access in mind.
In order to remove the bad switch and in this case its wire harness as well,you must remove not one but two assemblies.
1.jpg

First the jumping fox assembly must be removed as it blocks access to one mounting screw on the VUK
assembly.
2.jpg

Here with the "Fox" assembly removed you can see the blocked VUK screw.

3.jpg

Of course there are two locknuts that must be removed and with limited tools at Modern access was almost denied as you can see here.

4.jpg

How to remove this nut?
5.jpg

On the fly tool rigging. The proper socket matched with a flathead screwdriver with a wide enough blade to grip it. Cheesy but it worked. Note the two large Washer/Spacers between the playfield and the VUK Bracket on the upper left where two mounting screws were removed. The lower is another example of dumb design as it is so large that it impedes the switch blade from fully compressing as the left tang of the actuator fork actually catches it. The solution was to file a flat on that washer for the actuator to clear it. I should have taken a pic topside so you could understand the situation better. This is the same for the Left side Saucer hole. Why did they need such large washer/Spacers?
6.jpg

Finally access to the old worn switch. Once again if the switch mounting screws came in from the reverse side there would be access to them.
7.jpg

Old switch on right. Note the heat shrink on the Ground nice touch from the factory. Now Stern uses clear non shrink tubing. Yes VND is DE but Stern is the same. Note Stern still uses the same Dumb VUK with mounted switch design. Its the same that caused so much trouble on CSI in an earlier post.
Another point is that these switches plain suck as the actuator is held with two tiny tabs that allow for severe horizontal play. Where did that engineer go to school?
8.jpg

Ready to mount diode on switch
10.jpg

New Diode attached but No supplies for cleaning off flux and not likely to change. The Small two wire harness was also compromised as the wiring was broken within the insulation on both so I had to make a new one. No time for pics.
11.jpg

AC/DC... Fuse blown and no replacement in stock, Ball trough switch wire detached and was the probable cause of the blown fuse.
12.jpg

TZ... Right Flipper, Once again proximity sensor and maybe if players would stop lifting and dropping machines this sensor wouldn't get jolted out of position or have its components come loose.

ST…. Drop target

TOM... Plunger

#373 4 years ago

3/24

No time for pics

ST….. Pop bumper metal Yoke

BR….. POP bumper fibre Yoke

AC/DC…. POP Bumper Metal and Fibre Yoke, return spring, Ring and POP Switch.

Avengers…... THOR Target assembly.

Gold Strike……. Small upper flipper rubber

VND CPU 5 resistors burned up and one Transistor won't be able to get to it until later tonight.

#374 4 years ago

This thread kicks ass.

Thanks for taking all the extra time to take pictures. Although, I have to admit, that on half of them I don't see anything wrong. But then again, I don't know much about these things yet since I'm still new to the hobby.

#375 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This thread kicks ass.
I have to admit, that on half of them I don't see anything wrong.

Very understandable. Had I more time I would use photoshop or some other app to add red arrows to the areas in the subject matter. Its very easy not to see in pics what I try to show.

#376 4 years ago

3/25

Tried to have a look at the VND Board and the damage. Got to the point that I am awaiting for a transistor a socket and a chip.

This is not an easy task at all at Modern no tools for the job and very poor lighting. Every tool has to be brought out and set up first as there is no workshop. The party room has to be converted each time you need to work on something then it has to be returned to a party room. So set up, fix a board with no tools tear down clean up and hurry up as there is a league machine that has a whatever and the league starts in an hour….

Nothing to clean the board with.

No flux remover, no 90% or better alcohol, poor soldering station, No fibre glass pens, No sand paper of any grit.

Need to make a jumper as a trace was lifted, No wire wrap wire for the jumper, Nothing to seal the exposed traces on and on,,,, "Is VND fixed yet?" "We need the machine for the League"

In the pics I did use 70% alcohol thats what they have and a Qtip to at least wipe the soot away this was before the pics were taken.

1.jpg

Here two resistors cooked and the traces under them need to be checked.

2.jpg

Q6 nothing but legs!!!!!!!
3.jpg

Resistors removed with nothing to clean the board.
4.jpg

Resistors and Q6 legs removed time to check pad and trace continuity.
5.jpg

Exposed trace from R240 is still good not so for Trace from R238 it was burned through and you can see a remaining piece has lifted and curled over.
6.jpg

This led me to remove U203 as I couldn't see if any trace damage continued beneath it. Not only that without a chip tester I chose to play it safe and will replace it with a new one in a socket.
7.jpg

Just another close up of the damage
8.jpg

What caused this? Could have been a number of things. I wasn't at Modern when it happened although this area of the board relates to the playfield switches so HMMMMMM?

Did I bitch a lot on this post ? Yes I did thats another fail.

#377 4 years ago

Hey, Eddie...I found out who the two people are who downvoted continuing this thread: Douche and Bag. Keep up the great work!

#378 4 years ago

3/26

Metallica... shooter lane switch. Switch had to be replaced however the connecting wires were too tight and had to be released from the wire harness from the shooter lane to 3/4 back of the playfield in order to get enough slack, about an inch and a half of play, so that they would not pull off of the switch lugs.

Can you see the issue?

1.jpg

DM….. Stand up target switch due to wire being pulled off of lug no slack at all.
2.jpg

Left bottom flipper EOS switch due to wire coming off of lug again due to no wire slack. I had to add an extension wire.

3.jpg

No pics but a wire came out of connector J112 on pdb rendering the upper GI out and some opto switches. Took awhile to see that the wire was just barely backed out of the IDC connector.

#379 4 years ago

3/31

BSD many switches out including the outhole. This repair took a bit of time as two wires were off of lugs and both were buried not only that one switch was internally bad which also made things
confusing.

Didn't get the camera out until after I repaired the first wire which was on the middle of the left side stand up target lug if you are familiar with BSD it means removing the lower subway to not only see the lug clearly but to access it.

Here is the 2nd wire from the right side stand up targets and it too was fairly hidden. I moved the harness out of the way to take the pic.
wire.jpg

TOM…. Right flipper, a typical scenario with machines at Modern. Usually due to a pawl being worn but more often then not its the pawl link bolt that has backed out or broken. This was not the case.
R flipper.jpg

Upon lifting the playfield I was greeted with this at the bottom of the cabinet.

3.jpg

Both coil stop screws had sheared off and the coil and its stop fell out of the assembly.
4.jpg

Of course once you find something like that you must check the other flipper assembly if it happens to one it can happen to the other and sure enough. This is true with any assembly.

Only one on the left side has sheared off.
5.jpg

Both base plates had to be replaced as the bolt parts were frozen in them due to rust and vibration.
Some times the plates can be salvaged by drilling out the bolts in this case it was not to be.

#380 4 years ago

4/1

AC/DC…. Bell opto due to opto interruptor striking it and causing broken solder joints.

Here is another example of poor design as the bell has horizontal play along its axle this allows for the interrupter to strike the opto. There is only so much bending of the interrupter that can be done to keep it within the opto transmitter and receiver with out striking either. I may take up some of the horizontal slack with a washer but it shouldn't be required.

Here you can see the issue
opto.jpg

The lower playfield Kickout due to a stand up target sticker coming off and sliding into the kicker area blocking the switch. No Pics but the lower playfield had to be dropped to clear the errant sticker.

Kiss…. Right flipper assembly had its coil toasted and Eos switch broken most likely the cause of the toasted coil.

#381 4 years ago

4/2

look at prior post for 4/1 as I just posted it.

Steve Marsh joins the Pinball Glass Diamond club while removing the glass from Mustang to clear a stuck ball. Glass was in hands held vertically being lowered to the floor and without striking or touching anything It was raining Diamonds. Hope it never happens to me!

Glass.jpg

BR... Left flipper

Right f3.jpg

Lifted the playfield and…….

BR Right flipper.jpg

Note in the pic there is no flipper return spring where did it go? Looked for 20 mins easily and it was not to be found. Hope it doesn't short anything out.

Of course all of this must be cleaned up before the rebuild.
Filthy assembly.jpg

Once you see this amount of soot on a playfield part you know its worn.
I could have just installed a new plunger link assembly but I knew that the pawl was worn out .
Sure enough after removing the bolt and remaining link part you could see the elongation of the bolt hole.
No pic but new assembly all around just as I thought I would need from seeing from the soot. encrusted pawl.
soot.jpg

Plunger assembly has seen more play in a day then any 10 location machines in a week.
Plunger.jpg

Often a broken Plunger Link assembly causes a blown fuse and sure enough F6 was Blown.
f6.jpg

I finally had a chance to finish the board repair on VND I am real happy even with the poor results (Not cleaned properly, some burn carbon left etc) as Modern is just not setup for board work as I alluded to in an earlier post. This repair was no easy feat.
9.jpg
10.jpg

This repair however may not be the end all as there are maybe other components damaged that weren't visible. There are no testing tools at Modern other then a DMM. I don't know what led to the damage in the first place or the "Cause" of the issue. This repair of known damaged components and traces was only the first step and hopefully nothing more will be required.

#382 4 years ago

4/7

PZ……... Bottom and middle POP Bumper switches out of adjustment.

FH……. Balls getting stuck in subway!

Lifted the playfield and what the hell is that?

SW 1.jpg

Is that what I think it is? Look how dirty the subway is it must be cleaned.
sw 2.jpg

It is what I think it is!!!
sw 3.jpg

Goes to show the amount of play these machines get. We need protectors for our protectors!!!!!!!
Cliffy.jpg

Not a good thing.
FH.jpg

AF… I was told upon arrival to Modern that a coil burned smoking up the machine.

Found the eject assembly dangling in the harness it must have been removed from the playfield by the other tech when the issue happened.

I cut the coil wires from the assembly to remove it from the machine for inspection.

Here is the freed assembly all filthy. The plunger is frozen due to the coil bobbin distortion from over heating.

coil.jpg

Here the coils' wires have been freed from the harness as they were zip tied to tight which didn't allow for any slack. They were way too short and only had about an inch plus to work with. Note the dirt on my fingers the harness is a filthy mess and must be cleaned.
wires.jpg

What has happened to the harness while at Modern? Its an insane mess
7.harness.jpg

We didn't have the new coil in stock but in the meantime I cleaned and polished the assembly parts.
How many techs do this in the field?
9.jpg

WPT... Plunger tip wore through. Had the camera nearby so I took the pic LOL
10.jpg

#383 4 years ago

4/8

FH Rudy's Jaw arm broke

1.jpg

2.jpg

New one installed
3.jpg

The culprit
4.jpg

Mustang…... Left flipper out why?

5.jpg

Banzai Run left Flipper coil shorted.

7.jpg

WOZ right flipper Coil Diode

#384 4 years ago

Last night ,Thursday April 9 , Eddie won 5-3 vs the machines at Modern
He will show what he fixed and what he didn't ( couldn't) . Considering the amount of time he has it was good but ... he can do much better
Fixed : AC/DC -Family Guy (league machine )- Banzai Run - Whitewater (League Machine ) -World Poker Tour
Not Fixed : Wizard of Oz - Addams Family (league machine )- Punchy The Clown (league machine)

As you can see he doesn't love fixing league machine .....

See you next Tuesday !

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from FLR:

Last night ,Thursday April 9 , Eddie won 5-3 vs the machines at Modern
He will show what he fixed and what he didn't ( couldn't) . Considering the amount of time he has it was good but ... he can do much better
Fixed : AC/DC -Family Guy (league machine )- Banzai Run - Whitewater (League Machine ) -World Poker Tour
Not Fixed : Wizard of Oz - Addams Family (league machine )- Punchy the Clown (league machine)
As you can see he doesn't love fixing league machine .....
See you next Tuesday !

The chances of getting even a single game fixed just before our local leagues in Austin begin at either of the two locations they are active at are slim to none, let alone 2/4 league machines and another three side machines on the same day, let alone by a single individual. You should consider yourself lucky that Eddie manages what he does with the tools, space, and time he has at Modern. The tone of your posting makes it seem like you are needling him to work faster or harder, which I don't think helps your case.

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The chances of getting even a single game fixed just before our local leagues in Austin begin at either of the two locations they are active at are slim to none, let alone 2/4 league machines and another three side machines on the same day, let alone by a single individual. You should consider yourself lucky that Eddie manages what he does with the tools, space, and time he has at Modern. The tone of your posting makes it seem like you are needling him to work faster or harder, which I don't think helps your case.

Law :
1) Modern Pinball has nothing to do with your local league , in 3 days only we had over 300 people .. probably you have those people in ALL month !
2) Every week we have ONLY 9 machines out of 32 !
3) Eddie gave priority to other games and lost lot of time on few games that by his own words should have been easy fix , during that time 3 machines went down . He spent lots of time on one machine for 2 nights and the machine is still down ! Then he looked at one machine and in 5 minutes he fixed ( was one of the League Machine that almost all night and day was down ! )
4) Eddie has to deal most of the time with another "Tech" that does big damage to the machines and he tries to figure out first the damage then the problem ....
5) Without Eddie wouldn't be ANY league here !
6) Before i ran the league with 27 different games but was too much , now only 9 !
7) Eddie is the Best and he is learning as everyone , so even him knows he could have done better .
8) Most of the people that come at Modern play in The Super League which is the Best in The World .. go look on IFPA .... and if we have that high number of players is because Eddie can fix machines faster than anyone i ever seen .
9) I been working with Eddie from day 1 at Modern and we always work on same days ( the day i run the League/Super League ) , if there is someone that knows how crazy he is then that person it is me that i am more crazy than him ! But he is the Best Tech you can see in action everywhere !
10) Good luck with your Leagues .. probably i will never play in them since HERE at Modern Pinball is THE BEST League/Super League in The World !

And for Eddie

#387 4 years ago

Francesco:

I appreciate that you're trying to get more people to play pinball. I respect Eddie's work even more and appreciate that he posts it for all of us here on pinside when he has time. I don't like your attitude or how and where you choose to post, or the way you treat others in the community or seem to exploit the IFPA rules to your benefit. It makes me angry and I think I am generally a very accepting individual and respect all viewpoints and angles. That you have made me feel this way in so few posts is unprecedented. I don't think you have any basis for insulting or diminishing any other league. New York is a very large city and you certainly have a large league. I hope the people you have gotten to participate in the first few months continue to do so. You are now the first and I hope only person I set to ignore on pinside.

#388 4 years ago

#389 4 years ago

4/9

Just getting the chance to post about Thursday at Modern as I have been swamped with work so thats a fail.

I see there has been some interesting activity on this thread.

Thank you LAW for the insightful and nice words.

Thurs was hectic at Modern with a group of 60, plus the super league players, plus the walk ins.

Many machines were down and 3 "Super League machines"

I start at 5pm the league starts at 7 so I have two hrs to get numerous machines up and running.

I try to make judgment calls as to what can be fixed in the allotted time and with what supplies we may have on hand. This is done assuming that prior machine work was done correctly and the fix should be relatively straight forward. At Modern this seems never to be the case.

This was the situation with 3 of the machines last Thursday so the repairs took close to 3x the time for each fix.

I take pride in my work and probably shouldn't but will explain about FLRs remarks about two machines he mentioned.

Punchy the Clown had a drop target bank not resetting and it was a League Machine.

The cause was not certain but was most likely due to the bank assembly being corroded along with the drop target switches. New Switches for Punchy are not at Modern. All that I would be able to do was to take as much of the assembly apart as I could and clean it as best I could with out any time and without the correct supplies or tools for the task. I managed to get the bank to reset again but want sure it was really repaired but made working.
I assume that the bank failed again later on in the eve after I left as it was still working while I was there.

AF had a burned out coil so when it arrived via UPS on Thurs around 5pm I thought no problem It shouldn't take too long to install. After installing the coil the initial problem that caused it to burn was still there.This was something I hadn't considered as the coil failure happened under the other techs watch and I was left with the message about the coil being burned.
The coil was locked on, on power up. A quick TIP 102 test showed that indeed it was shorted.
So now the board had to be removed among a huge crowd of people playing machines on either side and 4 other machines down with The League about to start. I replaced the T102 and on power up all appeared good no locked on coil. The coil locked back on just a few cycles of power up later leading me to believe that it might also be that the pre driver transistor was blown too which we don't have at Modern. The pre driver may or may not be the actual cause but with no time and no proper diagnostic tools its the best guess for the situation. So with time running out and no transistor AF remained not working.

WPT L flipper down due to broken plunger. Again should be a straight forward repair however… Turned out that a Williams plunger was installed and not only that it was an upside down right side pawl mech. No left side pawls in stock at Modern, all out. No Stern pawls at Modern right or left. What did I have to do? I had to scavenge through old broken parts to put together a working left side plunger assembly. Scavenging through a closet without any order as to whats there whatsoever. All taking excess time ,with the clock ticking towards League start. No tool cart as it would be in the way as too many people were there, so its back and forth to the back room for tools etc So a quick 10 -15 min plunger replacement became almost an hour if not more.

That is why machines that I worked on were down or not repaired.

FLR and the owners haven't a clue as to what it takes to repair a machine. They think all repairs should be around 5mins. They don't understand that a stuck flipper or coil etc can be caused by many numerous things, some that are very easy and quick to remedy and others very time consuming and or hard.
That is why I choose to work on some machines over others with a time limit involved. Its like pinball triage working at Modern.

Hmmmmm 3 League machines that need board work or major overhaul to get running or 5 non league machines needing a flipper rubber or a switch adjustment or a few wires needing to be resoldered?
I believe the staff feels that all repairs should be 5min or less because I do diagnose and repair so many machines so quickly and make it appear that its the norm. They do not understand unforeseen circumstances that can keep a machine down which causes them to scramble for a back up league machine.

I also feel that 5 machines down are worse then 3 and that the League machines are not more important to the Modern visitor than any other machines.

Damned if you do damned if you don't!

#390 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

FLR and the owners haven't a clue as to what it takes to repair a machine. They think all repairs should be around 5mins. They don't understand that a stuck flipper or coil etc can be caused by many numerous things, some that are very easy and quick to remedy and others very time consuming and or hard.
That is why I choose to work on some machines over others with a time limit involved. Its like pinball triage working at Modern.
Hmmmmm 3 League machines that need board work or major overhaul to get running or 5 non league machines needing a flipper rubber or a switch adjustment or a few wires needing to be resoldered?
I believe the staff feels that all repairs should be 5min or less because I do diagnose and repair so many machines so quickly and make it appear that its the norm. They do not understand unforeseen circumstances that can keep a machine down which causes them to scramble for a back up league machine.
I also feel that 5 machines down are worse then 3 and that the League machines are not more important to the Modern visitor than any other machines.
Damned if you do damned if you don't!

Eddie, in an ideal world, it it was up to me, I would fire the other tech, build out a real workshop with proper tooling and spare parts for you at the back of the building, and give you a 20% "nuisance raise" for having to deal with certain people, who have now been added to my ignore list.

Illegitimi non carborundum!

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Yeah! What he said! Illegitimately non-carbonated or something!

#392 4 years ago

Eddie - with the state of current techs at Modern, have you or any of the other NYC techs considered bringing on apprentices or something along those lines to take some of the stress off?

#393 4 years ago
Quoted from Krankor:

Eddie - with the state of current techs at Modern, have you or any of the other NYC techs considered bringing on apprentices or something along those lines to take some of the stress off?

Is not Eddie decision or mine .. and also think : Eddie has very limited time .. do you think he will have time to "teach" someone else during his 4 hours of work ?

#394 4 years ago

4/14

T2 …Lamp board out due to cracked solder joints on pins and wire dislodging from IDC connector.
1.jpg

GS… Plunger tip worn through
2.jpg

BR…. Left slingshot Rubber Ring
3.jpg

Punchy the Clown…. Drop target bank due to bad coil Diode and bent target actuator arm and general dirt /corrosion. Had to be disassembled and gone through.

FG …...Drop target bank due to cracked solder joints on opto board.

TZ ….Proximity sensor due to wire break within insulation.

BSD…. Ball trough switch actuator bent in a position where ball would not make contact.

All machine repaired and cleaned.

SM, TSPP, Transformers,CSI also cleaned.

I never posted that I also clean the machines after each repair as once your in there its a good time to do it and to also check for any loose fasteners. For example BR change a rubber ring then clean the playfield etc.

4.jpg
#395 4 years ago

I love these posts, it's great to get a feel for what to look out for.

Eddie, what's your process for cleaning?

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

I love these posts, it's great to get a feel for what to look out for.
Eddie, what's your process for cleaning?

Im asked this question so much that I think Ill make a video.
It would be easier to show then to explain.

Ill post a YT link when I make the vid.

The items I use normally are

Novus 2

Chamois lint free cloths (Not at Modern)

Naphta or Ronson lighter fluid for rubbers. (Not at Modern)

Mothers pure Carnuba wax (Not at Modern) Used once after a full restoration then once a year!

Brillianeze

The condition of the playfield and how the supplies are used with that condition is where the max benefit is derived.

#397 4 years ago

4/15

WH20… Left Flipper due to Flipper opto board having both cold solder joints at its connector plus a weak "Loose" connector and dirty optos a trifecta of gremlins.

AF … Installed new PDB as U2 is probably shot on the old one which the owners sent out for repair.

Avengers … Left Flipper button due to

1.jpg

2.jpg

TZ... Proximity sensor due to loose connector wires. Best fix direct soldering to board.
Right flipper due to pawl/link bolt being over tightened.

#398 4 years ago

What's the problem with that flipper button? I don't see it.

#399 4 years ago

4/16

AC/DC ..Rubber ring under TNT plastic.

Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#400 4 years ago

4/21

DM… When I arrived was told DM was down and that parts were ordered.
I was told that DM is a "league" machine for the night.
I lifted the playfield and saw that the ball trough transmitter Opto Board was missing. It was sitting on the cart in the back room and had these markings on it.
I was surprised to find that 3 optos were out at the same time.

1.jpg

I knew we that we didn't have any optos in stock but.. I did find an old broken Opto transmitter board that I could use as an Opto donor.

I removed the bad Optos

Component side

2.jpg

Solder side. To bad we don't have any flux cleaning supplies.

3.jpg

Here the donor optos are installed

4.jpg

Testing the board

5.jpg

Once The board was installed I play tested it and noticed that the left flipper was behaving oddly in that it wouldn't drop back cleanly and was slightly raised from its normal unenergized state.

Lifted the playfield and this is what winked at me!

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

After taking care of that unmentioned issue the machine played great and was "League" Ready.

Was asked to prep BR "tune up/Clean" for the "League" 45mins till the start.

Going through the machine one thing I always check for is loose ball guides and sure enough the right side lower ball guide was loose. this is very common on BR

9.jpg

I also noticed that the right ramp left side post was very loose. This was due to the fact that it had broken off at the threaded part of its shaft.

10.jpg

No posts in stock and a "League" machine might be down clutch the pearls!!!!!!!!!!

What to do?

I figured why not use the right side post and swap it with the left as the right side doesn't really take hits and can be held in place by the plastic.

Here the plastic has been removed in order to access the good right side post.

11.jpg

The underside of the playfield with the swapped out posts.

12.jpg

The result a strong needed left side post and the "League machine" is still in.

Here you can see how the plastic holds the now broken right side post from popping out.

13.jpg

5 mins left for "League "Start and a practicing player comes to me and says "The left flipper on KISS is sticking up.

Kiss is a "League" machine

I lift the playfield with 3mins till "League" start and the coil has fried and seized the plunger.
No replacement coil in stock.
KISS the "League" machine is OUT!

14.jpg

The following was then heard throughout Modern. Announced by a Modern employee no less.

"KISS is OUT the first night of "League" and a machine is already down that was fast shows how they fix machines here KISS is out First night this is how they fix machines"

I went out to get something to eat and upon return I get

" You fix DM is fucking not working thats how you fix"

I took a look at the machine figuring that something with the trough board may have been the issue but it turned out to be that the lower ball popper wasn't popping.
Coil tested good in test? Tranistor Q80 tested good? Power was getting to coil? Coil wires were good? Grounding the coil fired it? Grounding the TIP fired it? Solenoid test fired it? The Opto switch tested fine?
What the hell was the issue?

Turns out that J207 was slightly backed out. DM was FIXED again and was back for the "League"

You reading this post must understand that if I repair a machine for the "League" that it must work because I am GOD and even Clay Harrel is in awe of me. Nothing should go wrong with a machine even though what I repaired had nothing to do with the new breakdown! This is the only conclusion I can surmise that must be going through the minds at Modern.

AF … Multiball lock issue from the swamp, Lifted the playfield and was greeted with numerous hacks on every switch related to the swamp area with 5 mins left to go home. This will have to wait til tonight ugh.

Kiss….. Left flipper stuck up during "League Practice" with 15 mms before the league started.

11.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside