(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
#151 5 years ago

9/30

No time to take more pics.
There were many issues and only 2 hrs to solve and repair them before the League started

AC/DC Ball Trough and once again Cannon

ST Ball Trough

AF Plunger

BR Plunger

TZ Proximity sensor. Ball Popper Opto, Gumball Switch

WPT Ball getting stuck under Mini playfield

PZ Lower POP Bumper

1-872.jpg
3.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
9.jpg

#152 5 years ago

That smashed trough proxy sensor from TZ is very common, when it's improperly installed and the balls can hit it ...

#153 5 years ago

Speaking of WOZ bashing, I have a WOZ I've had since November of 2013 and It has not broken down once, well I did have to adjust a spring on the castle doors and also reattach a slipper on a flipper but other than that it's been played a lot and no light board issues and no break downs. What a nightmare!
Even worse it's been really fun to play! Darn... can't bash it... sorry to dissapoint...

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

9/10
FH Rudy's face , Popbumper switch
BR Pop bumper and its related switch both have issues.
Dr dude GI went out
Today there was a wonderful surprise visit to Modern Pinball by Non other than George Gomez, designer of my favorite pin RFM, Gary Stern and Jody Dankberg.
Fortunately they arrived during a very rare lull at Modern the first that I have seen and less than a half hour after they left it was Grand Central Station as usual.
George had nothing but nice things to say about the machines he saw at Modern.
It was too bad that we just removed MB just this past Monday in lieu of Gold Strike (MB is to be placed on location elsewhere in Manhattan).
I restored the MB at Modern and would have liked to have heard what Mr Gomez thought of it.
Mr Stern also appeared to be pleased with Modern and the conditions of the machines so I guess we are doing a good job.
Some things revealed to me during our small chat gave me the impression that Stern not only wants to be a pinball manufacturer but the best pinball manufacturer. Ill leave it at that.
Disclaimer : I am an extremely objective person and did not say that just because they visited.
Needless to say it was my best day working at Modern Pinball so far.

1-58.jpg 43 KB

OK, I've got to ask. What cab is that TF in? Gotta be a good story behind that.

*Edit - added pic

TF.jpg

#155 5 years ago

That's Magatron.

Prime is on the other side.

#156 5 years ago

Eddie, thanks for taking the time to take pics and post this stuff. Seeing this stuff is invaluable.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That's Magatron.
Prime is on the other side.

DUH, I should have known that. For some reason I was thinking it was darker than that.

#158 5 years ago

10/1

BK2K Flipper coil/Plunger failure of both possible causes are old worn out parts with traces of oxidation, Flipper bushing missing 2 screws. Note in pic Flipper base is also missing 2 screws. Bk2k has had many many issues the main reason is that it was brought to Modern after sitting for many years in a non climate controlled warehouse all parts are Original. It needed a complete shop job before being brought to Modern but that wasn't the case. All flipper assemblies are getting rebuilt.

AC/DC Ball stuck in shooter lane, screw and washer from ramp post can be seen in the pic the screw was the culprit.

ST Drop target issues possible cause failing opto

GS weak flippers

TOM Eddy Sensor

11.jpg

14.jpg
13.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg

Quoted from litz:

That smashed trough proxy sensor from TZ is very common, when it's improperly installed and the balls can hit it ...

In the case of this sensor the fasteners became loose from vibration causing the sensor to shift. This has happened many times over the thousands of plays this machine gets. The new unit will have locktite between the fastener heads and the mounting bracket.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Speaking of WOZ bashing, I have a WOZ I've had since November of 2013 and It has not broken down once, well I did have to adjust a spring on the castle doors and also reattach a slipper on a flipper but other than that it's been played a lot and no light board issues and no break downs. What a nightmare!
Even worse it's been really fun to play! Darn... can't bash it... sorry to dissapoint...

What point are you trying to make? No one bashed your precious WOZ.
This is a very interesting thread and you're trying to derail it with your WOZ nonsense. Take it elsewhere. Not everything has to be a WOZ argument.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

10/1
BK2K Flipper coil/Plunger failure of both possible causes are old worn out parts with traces of oxidation, Flipper bushing missing 2 screws. Note in pic Flipper base is also missing 2 screws. Bk2k has had many many issues the main reason is that it was brought to Modern after sitting for many years in a non climate controlled warehouse all parts are Original. It needed a complete shop job before being brought to Modern but that wasn't the case. All flipper assemblies are getting rebuilt.
AC/DC Ball stuck in shooter lane, screw and washer from ramp post can be seen in the pic the screw was the culprit.
ST Drop target issues possible cause failing opto
GS weak flippers
TOM Eddy Sensor

Unluckily for Eddie he has to deal with a really old machine that was never been refurbish so THAT Black Knight is beyond repair . Is just a machine that Sometimes has a ball in play and you can flip .... So as worker at Modern Pinball I will be happy when this machine will go out and be taken care properly before coming back For now has totally been useless !

In the case of this sensor the fasteners became loose from vibration causing the sensor to shift. This has happened many times over the thousands of plays this machine gets. The new unit will have locktite between the fastener heads and the mounting bracket.

11.jpg 64 KB

14.jpg 58 KB

13.jpg 51 KB

18.jpg 45 KB

19.jpg 48 KB

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Stuff the screw holes with toothpicks, too, to get the screws to really grip well; should help prevent them backing out.

Can't remember what's above that, off hand, but if it's within the space under the arch, consider replacing with t-nuts, using longer threaded screws, and backing onto them from above with nyloc nuts.

#162 5 years ago

Modern has to be responsible for a game getting properly readied for Modern. They are the ones benefitting from their play.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from litz:

Stuff the screw holes with toothpicks, too, to get the screws to really grip well; should help prevent them backing out.

I sometimes use a bunch of paper/wooden matches to stuff the hole if toothpicks aren't around.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Modern has to be responsible for a game getting properly readied for Modern. They are the ones benefitting from their play.

Whoever owns the games should take responsibility. If you need to learn how to maintain a Modern Pinball machine - let me know and we will help....

#165 5 years ago

10 /2

All of these issues have to be diagnosed and repaired if parts are available or by other means in two hours by me so that the machines are ready for the League. Yes you read that right.

Wh20 3 Leds out

AF Swamp Kickout due to main ball catcher under the thing coming out of its holding track how that happened with all fasteners tight is very odd, this was a tough one as by all appearances it looked fine and was solid no play at all... Plunger not plunging ball more than 2 inches due to Apron plunger guide shearing at its seam then blocking the plunger.

ST yesterdays mode issues addressed turned out to be the stand up target was bent to the point that the contacts were less then a hair from touching, Only a certain vibration not any caused contact. The pic is after the blades were readjusted. This was a tough one as the switch read as good in test mode and never read as active.

FT Lamp board Pins were fine it was the IDC connector that was bad

Avengers Left Flipper

Gold Strike both lower Flippers rebuilt, POP bumper lamps out

FG Lois not registering, Leds out

PZ stuck ball

DRDude Stuck ball, Lamp board

WCS Diverter Spring and none in stock, Flipper Plunger Link

plus all these machines were cleaned.

1-857.jpg
2-843.jpg
// Error: Image 295417 not found //
4.jpg

5-930.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
3-291.jpg

Quoted from litz:

Can't remember what's above that, off hand, but if it's within the space under the arch, consider replacing with t-nuts, using longer threaded screws, and backing onto them from above with nyloc nuts.

This goes without saying however I prefer to use Bamboo combined with carpenters glue as it is much stronger.

#166 5 years ago

The bent switch, you have to "thump test" the game to find ... just pound the playfield with a closed fist up and down the length while in switch test, and see what shows up.

#167 5 years ago

Do you do internships?

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from litz:

The bent switch, you have to "thump test" the game to find ... just pound the playfield with a closed fist up and down the length while in switch test, and see what shows up.

This was the first test done by two people on both sides of the cabinet from the coindoor to the backbox and nothing registered. This is a normal step in many steps of trying to diagnose an issue such as this.

#169 5 years ago

10/7

Machines down upon my arrival to Modern.

AC/DC auto plunger, Center drop target

TSPP Auto Plunger

WCS R Flipper

PZ L Flipper

Bankshot No power to score motor

BK R and L Flippers

Only had time to take two pics one was really pointless as I took the pic after removing the flipper coil and plunger from WCS Duh! The pawl was also replaced after the pic was taken.

The other pics shows the EOS switch making contact with the Pawl of PZ .

Had to stop working on machines after only two repairs as there was a video of Modern being made. When that was done I was relegated to score keeping for league night not really a techs job. The failures will be building up
by the time I get there tonight I hope I can catch up.

1-613.jpg 2-849.jpg
#170 5 years ago

10/8

AC/DC standup target, Plunger

WH20 Reset issue

BR R Flipper/ Ball guide screw in switch

AF Swamp subway alignment

The new TZ proximity sensor arrived and look at the differences. The connector was mounted on the opposite side of the board and is a different connector. The mounting plate is at an angle as compared to the 90% of the original and it is mounted to the board with machine screws and nuts as compared to rivets. The bracket angle is actually an improvement. How can the wrong connector be installed on the wrong side? With a little rework the board is the way it should be and TZ now has POWER BALL again.

Also note the new flipper plunger,pawl and link installed on the R Flipper of BR. This has the new style return spring as opposed to the Old style that remains on the L Flipper. Eventually all of Moderns machines will have the new style replacing the old.

1-219.jpg 2-474.jpg 3-194.jpg 4.jpg 5-221.jpg
#171 5 years ago

10/9

TZ Bridge Diverter actuator, Coil Lug

TSPP Plunger

AC/DC Center drop target

Avengers Drop Target bank

Complaint that the TSPP plunger wasn't working correctly. Upon Lifting the playfield I was greeted with another Tech Hack! Hmmmm lets see the plunger spring has failed so maybe Ill just take two broken half springs of different tension strength and intermesh them together to make a full size spring. Why bother myself to go to the supply room and get a new one?

May I suggest that TZ owners order a few Bridge diverter actuator wires just in case for when that fails you lose huge game features! Or have wire on hand to make your own.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-7082

1-148.jpg 2-532.jpg 3-319.jpg 4.jpg
#172 5 years ago

10/14

TZ Right deflector assembly cracked. Filthy subways

Dr Dude POP switch bent closed

AF Left Flipper

BSD Lightning Flippers installed for the first time. Machine came with standard Flipper bats but it should have had Lightning Flippers, as it came from the factory which are just a bit smaller 1/8 inch difference. Note that the lightning flippers have more bracing underneath then the longer flippers. The machine was designed for use with the standard size Flippers so they are the flippers I would prefer to have used.

The Walking Dead arrives on Wednesday. The Stern launch party trophy is part of the swag the factory sent us.

1-295.jpg
2-99.jpg
3-63.jpg
4.jpg
5-785.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

#173 5 years ago

Just finished welding up the TZ bracket and thought I would show how I reenforced it with a much larger bead not just a spot weld.

1-625.jpg
2-156.jpg
3-905.jpg
4.jpg

#174 5 years ago

10/15

TZ coil wire, Switch

WCS Diverter spring

BSD EOS switch

FH Display

Numerous Stuck balls on different machines.

Big failureā€¦. the no show of TWD should arrive tomorrow!

While replacing the Deflector and actuator in TZ I cleaned the subways. This is a task that is done routinely on the machines at Modern.

Clean those subways it helps to keep your playfields, the switches and especially the optos clean.

1-496.jpg

#175 5 years ago

your old TZ trough proxy sensor was badly bent ... from the factory it's SUPPOSED to be at that angle ... and that's probably what led to it getting all bashed to pieces (and kept causing the screws to loosen up).

In addition to the TZ bridge diverter pull wires, it's also common for the spring links on the diverter plungers to snap ... the curved part that pulls the pawl wears through.

That welding job on the slot scoop is awesome. Probably the #1 item on TZ that breaks.

#176 5 years ago

Eddie, what kind of welder are you using? You did a nice job, especially cleaning it up.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I must admit that my recently increased interest in pinball had me daydreaming about running an arcade similar to the Modern Pinball business plan. However, after seeing this thread, I'm starting to realize that my repair skills would be totally inadequate for such an endeavor.
Time to re-channel my surplus mental energy into other frivolous mental exercises.

Focus on VAGINA, it worked for me !

#178 5 years ago

10/16

TWD arrived and had an issue with the plunger. It was installed to far towards the center of the cabinet causing the plunger to strike the auto kicker on its left side to the point that the plunger wouldn't plunge. The unit had to be removed and realigned. Note in the pic from within the cabinet the two holes which lock the assembly in place. They are too far to the right so new holes had to be made to lock the unit into the correct place.

It also had its left flipper stick up due to the left button being out of adjustment.

Many lamp sockets dislocated maybe from shipping?

Numerous loose fasteners. All Pop bumper housings and lockdown bar stay were the most egregious and some connectors.

TZ coil wire, Opto switch

FH display time for a new ribbon cable!

In the photos are of one of the owners Steve Zahler in orange shirt and Francesco La Rocca Staff member and tournament organizer extrodinaire both are Highly Ranked players.

1-457.jpg
2-889.jpg
3-939.jpg
4.jpg
5-108.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
12-388.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

#179 5 years ago

That is crazy to me that out of the box you have to do stuff like that....is there any quality control at all....???!!!...........Joey

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Eddie, what kind of welder are you using? You did a nice job, especially cleaning it up.

Miller Maxstar 152

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o206e_mil.pdf

#181 5 years ago

My Avengers was a project right out of the box !

But after i spent a shit ton of time on it, it was a buttery smooth unit !

sucks to have to work on brand new shit though ~!

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Miller Maxstar 152

Good machine. Your skill still shows though, your welds are excellent.

#183 5 years ago

10/21

I dont know what if anything failed today as I took off for my B-day

One bit of interest however is that TWD had 547 plays on it by Sat eve closing time. The machine was powered up for the first time on Thursday at around 6:30 pm. Most plays by people that did not know it was a new machine just another in the lineup!

I dont know of anyplace where machines get played as much as at Modern. TWD had more plays then a lot of machines at Expo which ran for more time than we had TWD.

#185 5 years ago

Happy Birthday dude.....a well earned day off..that's for sure....mines this Saturday...that wife asked what "we" were doing....I said that I don't know what "you" are doing...but "I'll" be playing the pins all day.... ...what did you do???....anything you care to share....???....man I can't believe I'm gunna be 38...where does the time go....?!.........Joey

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

My Avengers was a project right out of the box !
But after i spent a shit ton of time on it, it was a buttery smooth unit !
sucks to have to work on brand new shit though ~!

But it didn't really bother you right? Actually, come to think of it, you expressed some slight irritation here about some of your travails.

#187 5 years ago

10/22

T2 Reset issue

TZ coil, Blown fuses

BK trough switch

BSD lamp connector burned, Drop target due to techs switch hack. Wrong actuator was hacked and would snag on the Drop targets E Clip post. This is getting really old.

Dr Dude Popbumper switch

1-59.jpg 2-472.jpg
#188 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

10/21
I dont know what if anything failed today as I took off for my B-day
One bit of interest however is that TWD had 547 plays on it by Sat eve closing time. The machine was powered up for the first time on Thursday at around 6:30 pm. Most plays by people that did not know it was a new machine just another in the lineup!
I dont know of anyplace where machines get played as much as at Modern. TWD had more plays then a lot of machines at Expo which ran for more time than we had TWD.

Yeah...the only problem at Modern (as at other places) is that most of the people that go there don't practice good pinball etiquette. (Noobs!) I've been there twice when people have loaded up four-player games and walked away after one ball. Frustrating for the next person that walks up to that machine. With Steve Z.'s blessing, I spent the better part of my two hours helping out by walking around and cycling machines off and on to clear the half-played games.

It happens at Silverball, too, but it doesn't seem to happen as much.

Happy Birthday, Eddie!

#189 5 years ago

Ahh, the dreaded WPC GI burn ... pretty much, if it hasn't happened yet, you're either already converted to Trifurcon connectors or it's just waiting for it's time.

As I'm sure you well know, make sure you change the square pin headers at the same time you build the new trifurcon plug.

I've really never understood why they use mechanical switches on drop targets. The plastic fin that actuates the switches is slanted. The levers on the switches aren't. It's just time ticking until the lever pops off the switch. Guaranteed to happen sooner or later.

Whirlwind uses a single opto PCB for the drop target down. Why wasn't that used on the rest of the games with single drops? Would completely solve this issue, forever.

#190 5 years ago

10/23

FG Ramp, After removing broken ramp assembly I saw totally unacceptable filth. Time for a real cleaning. Beer can screw missing.

Kiss Switch cap

FH lamp socket

1-848.jpg 2-982.jpg 3-447.jpg 4.jpg 5-82.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg
#191 5 years ago

10/28

5 machines down upon arrival! Too busy to take pics but I did get one in.

BR Transistor, Fuse

SM Transistor

BSD Lft Flipper Mech

TZ Transistor

TSPP mini flipper coil

Why does Stern use hot glue on the ribbon connecter between boards?
Yes they can come loose in shipping and during gameplay vibration but so can the other connectors.
Its really a time waster in the field when trying to do board work.
Maybe its just the situation at Modern where machines are right next to each other and you can't pull them out for servicing so trying to remove the hot glue becomes a real task.

I do find however that the easiest way to remove it is to use very long thin needle nose pliers and grab a bit of it and wind it off by rotating the pliers. It usually comes right off very cleanly. That is if you can reach it!

1-307.jpg
#192 5 years ago

10/29

TZ All opto switches. 10 opto board entered the Twlight Zone it simply vanished. Where did it go?????????

FG New ramp installed , Can screw missing did it enter the twilight Zone too? The can screws back out very often but never disappear had to use a screw other than stock. Locktite is not a good option for this particular application but thats another story.

ST upper flipper coil lug

PZ flipper coil wire

CSI auto plunger fell apart this is the second auto plunger of this type that has completely failed will take pics tonight.

1-620.jpg 2-134.jpg 3-951.jpg 4.jpg 5-290.jpg
#193 5 years ago

10/30

TSPP Upper right flipper transistor This makes the 3rd flipper transistor this week not counting 3 more from location machines that were brought to me for rework at Modern. All Stern Flipper transistors. One way to help with this is to not only replace the shorted transistor but to use a more robust one and to also remove caps C52 and C53 from the driver board.

BR Ball lifter Magnet Switch

WH20 Reset due to loose connector

CSI Auto shooter arm This is the fourth auto shooter arm failure and the third from a Stern machine

The pivot post needs to be redesigned or reinforced where it meets the main arm body.

The Weld simply fails and the pivot post detaches from the arm. If you have a machine with this part I would recommend that you inspect the pivot post weld. The Pivot post has the E clip on the end holding the assembly to the shooter arm holder for lack of a better name. I didn't have time to take more than one pic of the unit, so, in the pic you can only see the arm. The pivot post with Eclip still attached fell into the cabinet. The hole in the Arm is where the post was attached.

1-886.jpg

#194 5 years ago

Not taking pics is what failed, no time to do so.

TSPP CPU lockup

ST Slingshot rubber was slung

VND rollover switches

WOZ flipper return spring

TZ Flakey Ramp Diverter followed by all flippers Locked on

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

TSPP Upper right flipper transistor This makes the 3rd flipper transistor this week not counting 3 more from location machines that were brought to me for rework at Modern. All Stern Flipper transistors. One way to help with this is to not only replace the shorted transistor but to use a more robust one and to also remove caps C52 and C53 from the driver board

I would like to hear a little more if you get time, particularly on the removal of the caps.

Thx for updating the thread!

#196 5 years ago

This thread is great. Keep up the good work Eddie!

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I would like to hear a little more if you get time, particularly on the removal of the caps.
Thx for updating the thread!

I assume you are asking how to remove the caps?

Its fairly easy and you do not need SM equipment.

You will need a standard soldering Iron, Tweezers, Flux and some fine metal side cutters. Some form of solder removal device Braid, Desoldering Gun/Station. Alcohol 99% and Maybe a magnifying glass

1 Add flux to one leg of the component.

2 Hold component from above with the tweezers near the fluxed end and heat solder with Iron.

3 With very light upward pull of the tweezers the Cap will lift off of the pad when the solder is molten. DO not force! Simply hold the Cap with an upward pull and the Cap end will rise off the pad when the correct heat is reached.

4 Repeat with other end.

5 Remove cap solder from pads.

6 Clean flux off of pads.

7 An alternative for those not good with soldering you can simply cut the caps in two coming down on the center of the cap with fine cutters. Be sure the cap halves do not make further contact with each other. I don't like this method at all but it will work.

Of course there are better and correct ways of doing this, but most don't have the proper tools in their homes so this is posted for them.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I assume you are asking how to remove the caps?blockquote>

No, sorry - I was asking why you remove the caps from the driver board? The way I read it you weren't replacing them - did I read it wrong?

#199 5 years ago

I think Ed was saying to remove C52 and 53. It supposedly stops the transistors of shorting out.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

I think Ed was saying to remove C52 and 53. It supposedly stops the transistors of shorting out.

OK, I was just curious why - Is it an acknowledged design flaw?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11,500.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside