(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
#101 5 years ago

these games must get played a ton!

very cool thread!

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

these games must get played a ton!
very cool thread!

7 days a week almost non stop Im surprised they haven't melted yet!

#103 5 years ago

8/28

T2... 2 Trough related issues Cracked guide, Broken One way wire form gate Both very common we go through many of each. pics attached

Shooter lane auto shooter assembly no pics.

SM Broken Plastic

FG Broken Plastic

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg
#104 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

8/28
T2... 2 Trough related issues Cracked guide, Broken One way wire form gate Both very common we go through many of each. pics attached

Where do you buy those one way wire replacements? I need one for my FT.

#105 5 years ago

Man, T2 seems to be giving you hella issues lately...

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Where do you buy those one way wire replacements? I need one for my FT.

Marco has them

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man, T2 seems to be giving you hella issues lately...

T2 was a machine brought into Modern as a last minute replacement it was never shopped or gone over in who knows how many years hence all of the problems. It really needs to be pulled and restored more than a typical shop job.

#108 5 years ago

9/2

WOZ Flipper

WW Multiball issue switch related

AC/DC Cannon yet again

DM Ramp screw

WCS Lamp board connector pins

AF Up kicker due to the way the other Tech installed a switch. (To be fair to the other Tech it may not have been him as the owners fancy themselves to be techs and try working on the machines with horrendous results so I can't say who did it) Can you see what I have to deal with ?

Plunger due to Apron section over ball being bent out of shape. Only cause could be that the playfield was lifted by that part UGH!!!!!!

CSI switch

Note conditions that the machines need to be repaired under. Many things such as full flipper rebuilds done on the spot so the leagues can continue. Many times no power outlet available near the machine that needs work done. More often than not out of the parts needed for the job but they are slowly working on that.

1-485.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

#109 5 years ago

The Diode in place of a 2/56 screw is a classic! WOW is all I can say....ingenious use of whats on hand!

#110 5 years ago

9/3

DM left flipper Tech left out washer on flipper link you can see the results.

WCS Opto. lamp board

SS Ball gate

FT Actuater arm

MB 4 switches, up down targets, Flasher socket, standup target. All of these issues with the exception of the flasher socket were caused once again by the other tech. Here is the sequence of events. Tech replaced the standup target by Frankie with the wrong target, The bolts held the new target assembly together stock used rivets. When the target was installed in the machine the bolts stopped the Up /Down target assembly from traveling upward. This pounding of the bolts caused the Standup target mounting screws to stress the holes they were located in the playfield to the point that the screws simply fell out. Once they did the standup target fell out shorting other switches and causing other mayhem. The fix? repair the playfield holes that are used for the Stand up target mounting screws. Reverse the bolts in the stand up assembly so they do not block the Up Down target assembly, replace some switch diodes.

1-301.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
5-568.jpg

#111 5 years ago

I've gotta say that this thread is fantastic! Partly because I spend my fair share of time at Modern (but I swear I never caused anything to break!).
But really because I find it fascinating to see what really happens to machines on route. I know things break, and I've gotten routed machines with broken parts on them plenty of times, but really seeing how things break, how often they break, and most interestingly, what things break is amazing to look at.

Most people assume machines on location wind up with a few bad switches, burned bulbs, maybe a flipper issue here or there....

#112 5 years ago

Man after reading this....I'm holding my breath when I play my T2 now.... ...great thread man....Thank you for putting the time into it.....hope to play there some day........Joey

#113 5 years ago

Man that SS must get pummeled. Poor thing's always breaking down.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Man that SS must get pummeled. Poor thing's always breaking down.

If I gave you a Million $ for every hour that it is not played you would be on the soup line!

#115 5 years ago

9/4

TSSP left Flipper Base plate stripped coil stop screw holes.This is a very common occurrence.

Pic shows what was found as playfield was lifted.

WW Multiball issue

FH Mirror relight issue

1-193.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

#116 5 years ago

No bueno

Just awesome to see coils dangling underneath the playfield.

Thanks
Mike

#117 5 years ago

If you're seeing that level of stripped screw holes on flipper bases then you have people either cross threading (and forcing) screws upon reinstallation, or someone's using Superman level torque.

#118 5 years ago

I just think they are pounded to death from constant use. Grade 9 hardened steel plates all around, and allen screws maybe for this amount of traffic?

I love this thread!

Quoted from litz:

If you're seeing that level of stripped screw holes on flipper bases then you have people either cross threading (and forcing) screws upon reinstallation, or someone's using Superman level torque.

#119 5 years ago

9/9

AC/DC Fixed the cannon how long will it hold up?????

Led Socket

Three bank Drop target assembly was going haywire and what would be the cause?

Lets just say the other "Tech" reared his head again with yet another of his great masterpieces. Can you can guess
what the issue was in the pic?

SM Doc Ock Magnet

Metallica switch

Wh20 Ball sticking Upper Playfield

Transformers Ball lock trough.

Gold Strike Lock Down Bar , 5 relay switches,

MB removed for Gold Strike Moderns first EM!

SS removed for Party Zone

1-403.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

#120 5 years ago

Get rid of the other tech.

#121 5 years ago

I've never owned a pinball (I am looking to buy my first). But I can safely say, although I would be pretty slow at diagnostics (at least to start), my actual repair work would be vastly superior.

Holy smokes... that guys actually gets paid, in money, for work like that? The boss is even crazier than the tech himself.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Get rid of the other tech.

Would be easier beating Keith Elwin, Bowen Kerins ,Daniele Accari and Lyman Sheats 10 games each back to back or Beating Valentino Rossi in 10 races on 10 different tracks back to back.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

9/9
Three bank Drop target assembly was going haywire and what would be the cause?
Lets just say the other "Tech" reared his head again with yet another of his great masterpieces. Can you can guess
what the issue was in the pic?

Flipper rubber behind the T drop target?

#124 5 years ago

JJP and Stern should just drop off new titles here pre-release. After about two weeks, they'll know EXACTLY where the design flaws are.

Furthermore, if pin manufacturer could develop a pin that makes money AND can survive this location, they've got lightning in a bottle.

#125 5 years ago

Do the Stern and other modern games get considerably more playtime, or are they just more prone to breakdown? Seems like some of the older games that have probably already had decades of use actually give you less trouble. Regardless, this is a really cool thread. I'm surprised you have the time to even update it.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Sc1f1:

Flipper rubber behind the T drop target?

BINGO Flipper rubber in place of the 1" ring Left target hung up on it numerous times throwing the sequence out of whack

Quoted from thedefog:

Do the Stern and other modern games get considerably more playtime, or are they just more prone to breakdown? Seems like some of the older games that have probably already had decades of use actually give you less trouble. Regardless, this is a really cool thread. I'm surprised you have the time to even update it.

All machines get the same amount of play new, old is doesn't matter.

The question of new Stern parts failing over Old Williams could be valid.

As the Williams parts are 20 to 30 yrs old on most assemblies (Not Flipper parts) with the same amount of playtime as New Sterns.

Outside of flipper parts and plunger wear between the two companies which is fairly the same the issue is the mfg process of the main assemblies.

For instance Stern Ball troughs and other assembly brackets fail to cheap spot welding plain and simple.

Stern could ask the MFGs to use larger weld beads and or bracket supports and this would solve the issue for a minimal cost.

I have had to weld numerous Troughs and brackets from Stern and very few from Williams given the age of both it raises questions.

For example here is a pic of two more Stern Brackets needing re-welding these two make about 10 this year which is almost 1 per month.

Stern Auto plunger pins are another weak point that should be welded stronger as they fail often.

In all I would say I have welded up 20+ Stern parts as compared to 2 Williams parts and one I reworked stronger as There were no replacements to be found when it failed but now it is obtainable. The Scared Stiff Crate Door lock plunger.

Quoted from Rick432:

JJP and Stern should just drop off new titles here pre-release. After about two weeks, they'll know EXACTLY where the design flaws are.
Furthermore, if pin manufacturer could develop a pin that makes money AND can survive this location, they've got lightning in a bottle.

I have made this suggestion to the owners but didn't get feedback. From my understanding one of the owners Steve Epstein of the Broadway Arcade had said that the BA was used back in the day by the Pinball MFGs for just that purpose. So maybe History will repeat itself.

1-577.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5-152.jpg
#127 5 years ago

Hm... which machine shall I break tonight? Decisions decisions..

#128 5 years ago

I'm going to be in NYC for a week in late October and this place in on the top of my list to visit at least once. Can you tell me when the more quiet time of the day seems to be? I'm sure the place is busy, but any tip on a time of day where it starts to slow down a bit?

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'm going to be in NYC for a week in late October and this place in on the top of my list to visit at least once. Can you tell me when the more quiet time of the day seems to be? I'm sure the place is busy, but any tip on a time of day where it starts to slow down a bit?

When I've been there, earlier is quieter. School kids come after 3, and adults flock after dinnertime.

#130 5 years ago

Interesting info Eddie. That doesn't surprise me that welding would be an area where they cheap out. Metal objects have been on a diet for decades.

I'm going to swing by sometime soon. Been meaning to get into the city to visit family anyway.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I would say the early hours. I am there only on Tues ,Wed and Thurs from 5pm- until Im too beat to stay.

Those times are also League nights so its really packed.

So I couldn't really say when the quiet times are as there are Parties on weekends along with other customers.

#132 5 years ago

9/10

FH Rudy's face , Popbumper switch

BR Pop bumper and its related switch both have issues.

Dr Dude GI went out

Today there was a wonderful surprise visit to Modern Pinball by Non other than George Gomez, designer of my favorite pin RFM, Gary Stern and Jody Dankberg.

Fortunately they arrived during a very rare lull at Modern the first that I have seen and less than a half hour after they left it was Grand Central Station as usual.

George had nothing but nice things to say about the machines he saw at Modern.
It was too bad that we just removed MB just this past Monday in lieu of Gold Strike (MB is to be placed on location elsewhere in Manhattan).
I restored the MB at Modern and would have liked to have heard what Mr Gomez thought of it.
Mr Stern also appeared to be pleased with Modern and the conditions of the machines so I guess we are doing a good job.

Some things revealed to me during our small chat gave me the impression that Stern not only wants to be a pinball manufacturer but the best pinball manufacturer. Ill leave it at that.

Disclaimer : I am an extremely objective person and did not say that just because they visited.

Needless to say it was my best day working at Modern Pinball so far.

1-58.jpg
#133 5 years ago

I'll be in tomorrow to check out the GS and try to break the cannon!

#134 5 years ago

This is one of my favorite threads. Would love to have a chance to work at this place to see what its like. Eddie, you sir are a huge asset to the pinball community. Thanks for all you do!

#135 5 years ago

great thread thanks for sharing.

#136 5 years ago

9/11

New machine brought to Modern! A Gottlieb Bank Shot in Beautiful condition.

The machine had two fails. It did not score on any switch.

The tens chime didnt chime.

Causes were the 100 pt relay or "M: relay was out of alignment (Not the switches but the actuator) it took awhile to figure this out as it was my first time working on a Gottlieb EM no schematics either.

The chime coil had a dead short so one is on order.

Black Knight lock switch fails , Ball trough switch fails

1-36.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
#137 5 years ago

I'm a little surprised they let people walk around with drinks.

#138 5 years ago

9/16/14

BR Fuse, POP transistor not related to fuse issue.

BK GI due to some techs connector hack

AC/DC Mini flipper rubber the first broken rubber at Modern and it was not a Super Band but standard stock Rubber. Super bands are going in.

Mini playfield switches.

ST Stand up target. Note in pics a lamp board had to be removed to access the stand up target mounting screws another, slowing down of a repair for operators. It was hard to get a clear pic so the lamp board looks like there is clearance but I am actually holding it slightly above its mounting holes.

1-220.jpg
2-179.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5-306.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

9/9
AC/DC Fixed the cannon how long will it hold up?????
MB removed for Gold Strike Moderns first EM!
SS removed for Party Zone

Was there on 9/8 and wondered when the cannon was coming back. Also watched Gold Strike and Party Zone come in, but they weren't running before I left.

Anyone within a few hours drive who hasn't been to Modern... you really need to check it out.

#140 5 years ago

9/17

Dr Dude Crash test dummy stiff limbs, Flipper coil wire.

BK Ball Lock issues, Lamp socket issues

AC/DC Drop target
2-640.jpg
1-852.jpg

#141 5 years ago

9/18

Bank Shot

Add a ball Issue, numerous lamp socket issues. Typical with old lamp sockets they are loose as the insulation dries out and shrinks not to mention corrosion. About 10 sockets were bad but instead of replacing them with new parts ( My choice) I jumpered a wire (in red in the pic) to the afflicted sockets. In hind sight I could have simply soldered the orange wires directly to the base but thats what happens when your in a rush and going on 14 hrs of work.
Either sandpaper or use a file on areas to be soldered then clean with alcohol for the solder to take
3.jpg

Avengers Drop target bank,

Star Trek Drop Target

BK POP Bumper

#142 5 years ago

9/23

AF POP switch

BR Slingshot Switch

BK2K Lock issue board connector related.

FH Outhole switch, Balltrough bottom track, Ball trough One way gate. Filthy Subway. DMD Ribbon cable

Remember to clean your subways and the assemblies attached to them not to mention the underside of the playfield where the subways are attached!

In the pic with the Outhole switch look up to the upper left and note that one screw is holding the bottom of the ball trough. This caused many issues as the trough bottom shifted which in turn caused the outhole lock switch actuator to jam against it and bending it to the point of it being very weak. With the trough askew the wireform one way gate fatigued from being out of alignment and broke. All for the loss of a screw the war was lost!
1-351.jpg
2-176.jpg
5-402.jpg
8.jpg
11.jpg
1-756.jpg

#143 5 years ago

9/24

No time for pics today

TZ Shooter Diverter

Transformers, Ramp problems

Avengers, Ramp problems

BK Sound board

ACDC Ball trough

Mustang Ball Trough

TOM Eddy board

#144 5 years ago

I've been to Modern Pinball twice...both times to play games (of course). I'm thinking I need to make another trip just to meet Eddie. I'd love to have him teach me a thing or two about repairs. I work for free when I'm being trained!

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been to Modern Pinball twice...both times to play games (of course). I'm thinking I need to make another trip just to meet Eddie. I'd love to have him teach me a thing or two about repairs. I work for free when I'm being trained!

You can find me at MPNYC Tues,Wed and Thurs from 5pm till?

I would be more than happy to go over some things you may have questions about.

#146 5 years ago

I think by reading this topic/posts I think the other tech is what failed today and every other day...

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I think by reading this topic/posts I think the other tech is what failed today and every other day...

That would be a good conclusion but as I have posted before the 1 owner fancies himself to be a "tech" and the other thinks he knows how to tinker. So there are three putting there paws into the machines
that don't belong not only are they mechanically inept they are technically inept as well.

Either you have it or you don't and no amount of teaching will help.

The Transformers ramp issue in my earlier post was again the result of one of the three musketeers which one? I have no clue.

#148 5 years ago

9/25

AF Popbumper, Filthy Subway

Was told that on AF the upper left POP wasnt working. Went into switch test and depressing the skirt
did nothing. I figured just the switch out of alignment. Sure enough upon raising the playfield the switch blades were making contact. A quick adjustment and in test mode all was good but was it?

Every time the pop popped there was a very odd rattling sound of metal.

I took a close look at the mech and can you believe it both ring shafts had come off of the ring.

I also noticed that someone else had replaced the Williams yokes with Gottlieb Yokes and they had left the washers off of the ring shafts.

Could this have led to the catastrophic failure of the ring?

Did someone over tighten the ring nuts?

Of course out of 5 pops on AF the one that broke was the one buried under the ramp.

I also noticed a few more tech marvels under the playfield.

A switch with plane white paper for insulation and an old style plunger with the new style return spring.

I also noticed a very odd break in a coil back how did that happen?

The subway was filthy as well and dirtier than a NYC subway and thats dirty!

Gold Strike Flipper

T2 ball trough.

1-597.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
5-908.jpg
2-837.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
9.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

#149 5 years ago

Wow this is an awesome thread, thanks for sharing

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I also noticed a very odd break in a coil back how did that happen?

Looks like somebody wanted to make a new single wind coil, but only had double wind bobbins. What's inexcusable is how they removed the middle lug. You're making coils, which means you have wire cutters. Cutting the middle lug out would've been easy. Instead, it appears it was broken out in a somewhat violent manner. Dude gets an A for fixing the problem, but zero style points for snapping off the middle lug.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodbury, CT
$ 16.95
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 18.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 14.95
$ 109.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside