(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 5 years ago

That WCS looks to be the one taking up an inordinate amount of your time these days.
You should save yourself the pain and suffering and just ship it out to Cali for some quiet home use time

#52 5 years ago

I am still amazed that before I got into hobby operating how few problems I had with my machines. I would take a game, tear it down, clean it, fix whatever is wrong, and I really would not have to do that again. With 9 machines on locations, its literally nonstop. between cleaning, waxing, repairs and whatnot, its crazy ha! A labor of love no doubt!

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Hey Eddie, what's your record for most credit dots removed in one day?
Between playing and fixing, I had one hell of a week a while back. Cleared 3 credit dots in one day and like 7 or 8 for the week. Clearing credit dots can make a guy feel like a real pinball badass. I AM THE CREDIT DOT KILLER!!! d

On average I would say 6. I cleared 11 about a week ago not counting broken assemblies which had to be repaired as well. All in 5 hrs.

I do not count credit dots due to a ball not triggering a switch in ex amount of plays.

Which are fairly common on certain machines for ex, WH20 Bigfoot cave switch.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

On average I would say 6. I cleared 11 about a week ago not counting broken assemblies which had to be repaired as well. All in 5 hrs.

Nice.

Quoted from Eddie:

I do not count credit dots due to a ball not triggering a switch in ex amount of plays.

I count them (unofficially) because I play on location regularly. Removing a credit dot by playing (no keys or tools) is just about as cool as clearing one by repairing it. As long as the dot is gone, I don't care how I have to do it. Credit dots must die! d

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Credit dots must die!

LOL I agree they are like a bad itch.

#56 5 years ago

There's two things I've found to like at pinball machines:

1) playing them
2) working on them

The latter is the one doing the most work. I feel you.

#57 5 years ago

7/17

SS Flipper link fell apart, Coffin vuk coil failed

Stern ST New both flipper plungers failed, Drop target opto failed.

BSD wire gate broke off

MB Ramp Switch actuator Broke off, Left Loop rollover switch failed

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from policano:

A labor of love no doubt!

11:37pm CST, big guy ( Tony ) working on DM at Sun Ray.

LTG : )™

#59 5 years ago

7/22

DM Ball Trough, Ramp switch

AF Trough switch, 3 Popbumper coils had wires come off. Flipper link worn near falling apart. Numerous loose fasteners.

Mustang, GI board burned up shorted bridge burned trace off of board.

MB leg leveler came loose due to locking nut backing off.

BSD Mist Multiball failed to start.

AC/DC Lightning Bolt fell off

Transformers Loose post because mounting screw fell off.

#60 5 years ago

7/23

BSD wire form broke

TSPP BackBox Light burned out.

7/24

DM Left Flipper weak,worn parts

WCS Diverter, loose mounting screws.

#61 5 years ago

7/29
AF Left Slingshot, RT upper Flipper. Left Lower Flipper EOS

DM Left flipper coil stop. Ramp entrance

WOZ Light board

ST PRO Opto switch

ACDC Lightning bolt

KiSS lamp sockets

FT reset

#62 5 years ago

7/30

Kiss CPU failure, Plunger, Lamp Sockets,

Transformers Coil

WOZ Lamp Board, Slingshot Rubber

Mustang 2nd failure of GI Board.

Dr Dude extra stucky Ball

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Which are fairly common on certain machines for ex, WH20 Bigfoot cave switch.

Funny, I have a WH20 and I am starting to think that switch doesnt exist.. I may need to start a new thread to figure out when the ball goes through there..

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Funny, I have a WH20 and I am starting to think that switch doesnt exist.. I may need to start a new thread to figure out when the ball goes through there..

Start the bigfoot Hot foot mode the ball will traverse the ramp through the cave initializing the micro switch.

#65 5 years ago

7/31

BR LED

ST PRO Magnet, Opto switch

WOZ Code update issue USB port no power.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Start the bigfoot Hot foot mode the ball will traverse the ramp through the cave initializing the micro switch.

thanks!

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

7/31
BR LED
ST PRO Magnet, Opto switch
WOZ Code update issue USB port no power.

USB Port no power? Eddie drop me an email. Not sure what you mean by that? The USB port's are powered but it's not required for anything we do?

alex at jersey jack pin ball dot com

#68 5 years ago

8/5

Transformers Auto Plunger pivot shaft.

WPT Coil burned up

BSD Drop Target Switch Diode , Ball trough fail

SS F103 Blown

DM Switch x2

FH Led

#69 5 years ago

8/6

WPT Flipper Plunger assembly
BSD Drop Target switch Plate
FH Sensor
FT Drop target mech
MET DMD display
Parts finally arrived for MB Gear for Drop Down Bank, Cannon Mech for AC/DC, Opto for ST, Lamp board for WOZ.

#70 5 years ago

Quick follow up to the WPT issues.

It appears that another "tech" at some point decided to use Williams Plunger,link and Pawls in the Stern machine.

This is what caused the two recent flipper issues one being the rapid wear and ceasing of the upper right flipper and two the coil burning up on the lower right flipper as the the assembly wore and bound up.

Not to mention improper adjustment of flipper height and Eos Switches which are really redundant on Sterns.

#71 5 years ago

CSI was playing on multi ball all night, is that a feature?

#72 5 years ago

I was there 2 days ago. Sad to see no cactus canyon. Had a blast next door at mad hatter afterwards, thanks for the tip. Favorite machine ToM.

#73 5 years ago

Let me just go on record saying Eddie does a great job keeping those games going. But besides that they are in very good condition.
More pinball is always a good thing!

#74 5 years ago

ALL machines were top notch. LEDs on just about every machine. They take a pounding. But when a ball got stuck, I would mention it and they were on it within 20 seconds. I can't wait to go back.

#75 5 years ago

I must admit that my recently increased interest in pinball had me daydreaming about running an arcade similar to the Modern Pinball business plan. However, after seeing this thread, I'm starting to realize that my repair skills would be totally inadequate for such an endeavor.

Time to re-channel my surplus mental energy into other frivolous mental exercises.

#76 5 years ago

8/7

WCS Sound

CSI Opto

No other failures just began repairs of earlier listed failures.

#77 5 years ago

I got transferred back to my companies NYC office. Going to modern pinball is one of the things I am looking forward too.

#78 5 years ago

8/12

FH Flipper and Fuse, Trapdoor, switch, DMD

WW Flipper , All Flashers

Dr Dude Flipper and Fuse

T2 Flipper and Fuse

SS all Optos out, F109 Fuse

Kiss Spinner Target

Transformers still awaiting parts from Stern.

#79 5 years ago

Technically, FH has a dual alpha display ... not a DMD .....

#80 5 years ago

Exactly Ed, get your facts straight.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from litz:

Technically, FH has a dual alpha display ... not a DMD .....

Try putting in the hours I work and see if you make a dumb blunder posting late at night like I did!

Yes it is a dual Alpha Numeric Display and it still failed LOL

#82 5 years ago

How many light boards have you replaced on WOZ so far? Just curious.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I heard a few on that machine from a source in the know. But speaking from personal experience on my WOZ not a single board has gone out. ( i haven't played her in months) I kid I kid....I haven't lost a board yet and I am sure there are others like that as well just depends on the date the machine was built.

#84 5 years ago

8/13

WW Upper flipper

Wh20 Left flipper

WOZ Left flipper

Kiss plunger

ACDC trough Opto

Quoted from TomGWI:

On the machine at modern all boards plus three more, but to be fair, the machine was one of the very first off the line and had the original bad boards it had many original prototype parts which eventually got replaced.

#85 5 years ago

Is AVLE still there? Do people play it? Because I'm not reading a lot of fixes for it.

#86 5 years ago

Eddie, any advice for the common problem of needing to reseat the ball trough board connectors on modern stern pins? Seems very common for games i find in the wild to have trough issues. Its such a simple fix to reseat them on my personal pins at the first sign of the game loosing track of balls, draining while ball is in play etc.... But in you situation that would happen a lot more frequently... Do you take preventative action? Dab of hot glue, zip ties, etc.?

Thanks for the daily updates. It is interesting.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Eddie, any advice for the common problem of needing to reseat the ball trough board connectors on modern stern pins? Seems very common for games i find in the wild to have trough issues. Its such a simple fix to reseat them on my personal pins at the first sign of the game loosing track of balls, draining while ball is in play etc.... But in you situation that would happen a lot more frequently... Do you take preventative action? Dab of hot glue, zip ties, etc.?
Thanks for the daily updates. It is interesting.

Three ways to solve the issue

One is rather crude and not recommended splay the connector pins then put the connector back with the added pressure holding them together.

Two replace the connectors with molex connectors

Three the sure fire approach but the most involved is to solder the wires directly to the opto boards.

8/14

TSPP reset issue

MB both EOS switches . UP /Down target bank finally repaired with new gears.

T2 plunger coil

Kiss Outlane kicker

MET auto Plunger

SS still has all optos out

Mustang Post fell off screw missing.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Is AVLE still there? Do people play it? Because I'm not reading a lot of fixes for it.

Its still there maybe the reasons for no failure posts by me is that there may have been failures that the other tech repaired on his shift or the fact that it is not played as much as the other machines?

#88 5 years ago

8/19

TSPP Flipper base (Both coil stop screws sheared off)

AC/DC Cannon

WW Spinner switch

BR Magnet coil wire , Plunger rubber tip

MB Flipper base Coil stop screw hole stripped

MET post sheared off

SS POP switch

WOZ ball lock mech

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

8/19
AC/DC Cannon

I was wondering where the Cannon was when I was there this weekend! I think your WOZ is missing a monkey too

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from deadzebra:

I was wondering where the Cannon was when I was there this weekend! I think your WOZ is missing a monkey too

The cannon is back.

The Monkey was on Lunch Break!

#91 5 years ago

8/20

AC/DC Cannon

BR Sling Shot Bracket

TSPP Plunger Crank

MB Both flipper assemblies

Dont know from which machines but two Stern Ball Tough assemblies cracked and were left by the other tech. This has happened more than once on every Stern

Also very common are Stern coil stop screws shearing off at the head. They need to use Hardened steel for the application not the cheap pot metal screws they seem to be using. You can use Williams coil stop screws as a better alternative to the stock Stern screws. Yes they break off too but usually only after many many years of use whereby they become corroded, rusted etc.

#92 5 years ago

What else failed today at Modern Pinball?

I did.

#93 5 years ago

8/21

AF Pop Bumper RING and metal Yoke, Plunger, Both flipper links

FH Multiball issues

MB Right flipper coil stop, EOS switch

BR Sling Rubber. Switch

WH20 Coil stop

WOZ Multiball Issue

ST auto launch plunger

AC/DC Switch

#94 5 years ago

Eddie, when you were at PAPA it was like a MASH unit in there! Welcome home!

#95 5 years ago

With the acdc canon issues do you see the problem where two balls are loaded into the canon during MB and then the canon can't swing and could damage the motor?

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Eddie, when you were at PAPA it was like a MASH unit in there! Welcome home!

Thanks but I have never had the fortune to be at PAPA!

Quoted from Gorgar1:

With the acdc canon issues do you see the problem where two balls are loaded into the canon during MB and then the canon can't swing and could damage the motor?

Yes happens often because the opto switch plate rubs against the opto, or the arm that activates the cannon home switch does not reach the switch activator because the activator gets bent or the arm travel is to short . Its a really horrible fragile mechanism that is not suitable for a Pinball machine I would call it a design failure for sure.

8/26

TSPP Slingshot , R Flipper

FG Shooter lane Switch

SS Left Flipper/ Both EOS switches

WW Switch

AC/DC CANNON

Transfomers Cannon ball Lock

Punchy the Clown Ball Guide

WH20 Switch

Once again these are just the bare basic failures if you need any details on a particular failure please ask it would take too long to write them all up.!!!!!!!!!

#97 5 years ago

8/ 27

From now on I will try my best to take pics of the failures that take place if I have the time of course.

I also took a pic of the crowded conditions of trying to work on numerous failures as fast as possible.

You will also see things that cause the failures many being and, Im out front with it. the other tech using wrong parts or just doing things the wrong way period.

Maybe not all his fault as he may be told to use whats lying around because our inventory is a sham. Vent Vent LOL

There is a pic of WOZ Flipper Mech which you get to figure whats wrong and you will see what I mean about the other techs work!

Avengers Ball lock spring. Pic is with new spring installed on cleaned up assembly. Switch , LED

T2 L Flipper mech, F101

WOZ L Flipper

WH20 both Flippers

AF EOS switch, Both Flipper Mechs

MB Switch

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
12.jpg
16.jpg

#98 5 years ago

Uhh... yeah I think I see something missing on that flipper mech.

Also, pics are awesome, great idea!

#99 5 years ago

I like reading this and I love the pictures.

#100 5 years ago

In for updates.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 234.99
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stafford Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside