(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 144 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eddie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

276 posts in this topic match your search for posts by eddie. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Just thought that working at Modern Pinball NYC is the perfect place to stress test machines as they are played almost continuously.

Things fail at an extraordinary rate so I thought I would log here what causes a machine to go down so that you can have a general idea of what it takes to run a machine on location or simply wondering what might fail on your machine. I will not post cause or repair unless asked for as it would take too long.

I will start this record from What has failed since Monday July 1 hope this helps.

ACDC Canon assembly seized Avengers LE teserac? Cube cracked.
WCS Ball motor Seized
WW Switch failed
MB Switch failed
WH20 Opto switch Failed
T2 Left Flipper Coil Shorted
WOZ Light board Failed
SS Diverter Plunger spring Broke
AF L Flipper Coil separated
Metallica Ball trough cracked
TZ Shooter Diverter coil failed , Plunger Rubber tip fell apart
Kiss Spinner switch failed
FT Upper left loop gate intermittent
Numerous stuck balls and Bulbs?Leds out.
StarTrek new Stern Left Flipper coil separated.
DM Switch Failed

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Wait, all this was in the last 3 days?

Yes who knows what will happen tonight !

Quoted from CactusJack:

Please explain "flipper coil separated". I have never seen a coil bobbin separate unless it was a total melt down or I was trying to get a stuck sleeve out.
Just curious. Thanks for posting.

The back of the Bobbin and its cylinder literally separated never saw it before and it happened twice on 2 different machines. Basically the coils fell apart.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I wonder how many of these were minor issues (say, fixable with parts on hand, less than 30 minutes) and how many were more major? It seems like a long list, but I wonder if a lot of them were pretty quick fixes?

Some fixes are quick Once you have diagnosed the problem correctly!

But again if its "Just a switch" Its usually in the hardest to get to area of a machine requiring the removal of half of a playfield etc. All while having customers play machines on either side of you.

On average about 4 Plungers a week fail and assembly brackets crack or break as well.

There is no way we can inventory a factories level of parts, which is pretty much what is needed, in order to get the machine 100% right away so the down time is usually just awaiting any needed part.

That said most fixes are under 30 mins closer to 20 with part in hand.

With this post in time you will get an idea of what goes and how often on location machines granted this place is not your typical location venue. These machines are played all of the time not to mention league and tournament days.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Great to meet you Eddie. Kudos on the upkeep. Games all played great!
To be fair though, your list on the WOZ was generous. Maybe it gets more plays but that game is raggedy. Not you fault but you say light board failed. If 20% of the lights were working I would be surprised. I don't even recall seeing the munchkin land spot light working. The castle doors were removed and the winged monkey mech was disabled. ...and no Panzer, I'm not a JJP hater. I love the game and theme though I did sell mine a while back but that was a monetary decision, not an indictment on WOZ.
Keep up the great work.

It was very nice meeting you. I am glad you had a good visit. As for the WOZ features of the Missing Monkey and the Doors that was not from the last three days from which this post has been started. There is also another tech from Fri-Mon day times that works on machines. I work eves Tues-Thurs. The Woz features mentioned were something that he was working on. I do not know what happened as we have no cross communication ( Something that has to change) so I left them in his hands. As for the lights the issue was resolved just after you left. It was a result of the same board issue reported earlier (The Fish Board)The lights are now 100%

The Failures of 7/3 were minimal (Must be because I started this post)

BR Three Leds out
ACDC Spinner Stuck

Quoted from PaulCoff:

Every time I go in there I see you with a playfield up. Thanks for keeping that place together. Can't wait to see one of Sal's MMR in there. Which stern (white star to present) has been able to take a heavy beating and which ones are a nightmare? Have you noticed a comparison with Stern now using a higher gauge wire in their machines and service issues? Thanks for this post.

Most common stern failures are

Ball trough Breakage and Opto boards failing both in the troughs and elsewhere on the playfields.

Flipper transistor failure is very common as well.

Slingshot Plungers breaking Common.

Flipper Return Spring Breakage

Coil Lug wires separating from the lugs.

Broken Plastics very very common (on all machines)

As I have said you will have a better idea of What fails,How often and Where as the months go on.

#20 9 years ago

Tues 7-8

WCS Flipper Return spring broke
WH20 Bigfoots Hairpiece fell off!!!!!!!!!!
DM Left Flipper Broke in half, Ramp protector Broke off of ramp, Shorted switch

BR the Ball carrier was broken from the tech working on the machine last Sun. How? dont ask Im pissed as hell is all that I can say.

#21 9 years ago

Wed 7/9

TSPP Shooter lane Switch , Door Lock
BSD Auto Plunger
TZ Left Flipper assembly
WCS Ball motor and Gearbox
MB Drop target GearCluster
WW Lamp Row
Punchy the Clown Apron fasteners worked loose.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Thanks for sharing Eddie. Very interesting. For the coils that "fell apart" wondering if they were old or both replacement parts? Wondering if replacement parts in general fail quicker than originals.

AF Replacement coil 10 months old

Stern ST Original coil 6 months old

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

1) So sorry to hear about the Bonsai ball lift - that was such an ordeal when you first set it up!

Thanks and now the ordeal begins again as they misplaced/Lost the Pat Lawlor made part. Guess Ill be starting a new post on the debacle.

#29 9 years ago

7/10

An amazing pinball night as the only failure was???

ACDC LE Lightning Bolt came off of its mount. Screw backed out.
WW One Led failed and its socket mounting hole in the playfield was stripped.

Tons of play as there was a private party along with walk in customers.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

wish my machines got played enough to break this much
Just curious, does each game get a full teardown and rebuild of everything prior to going on location? How often/ many plays after that before you tear it down again?

Before Modern opened I completely restored extremely trashed location machines.

In the first week they were beaten to the point where they are now.

Many find them to be well above average but compared to what they were leaving my shop No Way.

MB,TOM,Wh20,TSPP,BR,BTDK,TZ,AF

The rest of the machines were set up by the machines owners' tech staff before arrival to modern.

The system I use to keep them going is very simple.

Anytime a repair is needed or typical cleaning I go over everything on both sides of the playfield and check and tighten EVERY fastener and clean the flipper and other assemblies before I put the glass back on.

All machine fasteners must be checked as much as possible especial pop brackets and ball guides.

So if I go in to change a bulb its the same process and in doing so the subways remain clean and you also catch any possible failure before it happens.

So a bulb change may take 30+mins

#47 9 years ago

7/15

Another unusually smooth night.

DM Left flipper return Spring. Ball trough Opto#2

SS Outlane Switch

Still waiting for new ACDC Canon assembly

Still waiting for MB Gear cluster.

BR repair put on hold due to League finals.

#48 9 years ago

7/16

DM ball trough... divots

WCS Flipper link

BR LED 555 socket backed out

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Hey Eddie, what's your record for most credit dots removed in one day?
Between playing and fixing, I had one hell of a week a while back. Cleared 3 credit dots in one day and like 7 or 8 for the week. Clearing credit dots can make a guy feel like a real pinball badass. I AM THE CREDIT DOT KILLER!!! d

On average I would say 6. I cleared 11 about a week ago not counting broken assemblies which had to be repaired as well. All in 5 hrs.

I do not count credit dots due to a ball not triggering a switch in ex amount of plays.

Which are fairly common on certain machines for ex, WH20 Bigfoot cave switch.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Credit dots must die!

LOL I agree they are like a bad itch.

#57 9 years ago

7/17

SS Flipper link fell apart, Coffin vuk coil failed

Stern ST New both flipper plungers failed, Drop target opto failed.

BSD wire gate broke off

MB Ramp Switch actuator Broke off, Left Loop rollover switch failed

#59 9 years ago

7/22

DM Ball Trough, Ramp switch

AF Trough switch, 3 Popbumper coils had wires come off. Flipper link worn near falling apart. Numerous loose fasteners.

Mustang, GI board burned up shorted bridge burned trace off of board.

MB leg leveler came loose due to locking nut backing off.

BSD Mist Multiball failed to start.

AC/DC Lightning Bolt fell off

Transformers Loose post because mounting screw fell off.

#60 9 years ago

7/23

BSD wire form broke

TSPP BackBox Light burned out.

7/24

DM Left Flipper weak,worn parts

WCS Diverter, loose mounting screws.

#61 9 years ago

7/29
AF Left Slingshot, RT upper Flipper. Left Lower Flipper EOS

DM Left flipper coil stop. Ramp entrance

WOZ Light board

ST PRO Opto switch

ACDC Lightning bolt

KiSS lamp sockets

FT reset

#62 9 years ago

7/30

Kiss CPU failure, Plunger, Lamp Sockets,

Transformers Coil

WOZ Lamp Board, Slingshot Rubber

Mustang 2nd failure of GI Board.

Dr Dude extra stucky Ball

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Funny, I have a WH20 and I am starting to think that switch doesnt exist.. I may need to start a new thread to figure out when the ball goes through there..

Start the bigfoot Hot foot mode the ball will traverse the ramp through the cave initializing the micro switch.

#65 9 years ago

7/31

BR LED

ST PRO Magnet, Opto switch

WOZ Code update issue USB port no power.

#68 9 years ago

8/5

Transformers Auto Plunger pivot shaft.

WPT Coil burned up

BSD Drop Target Switch Diode , Ball trough fail

SS F103 Blown

DM Switch x2

FH Led

#69 9 years ago

8/6

WPT Flipper Plunger assembly
BSD Drop Target switch Plate
FH Sensor
FT Drop target mech
MET DMD display
Parts finally arrived for MB Gear for Drop Down Bank, Cannon Mech for AC/DC, Opto for ST, Lamp board for WOZ.

#70 9 years ago

Quick follow up to the WPT issues.

It appears that another "tech" at some point decided to use Williams Plunger,link and Pawls in the Stern machine.

This is what caused the two recent flipper issues one being the rapid wear and ceasing of the upper right flipper and two the coil burning up on the lower right flipper as the the assembly wore and bound up.

Not to mention improper adjustment of flipper height and Eos Switches which are really redundant on Sterns.

#76 9 years ago

8/7

WCS Sound

CSI Opto

No other failures just began repairs of earlier listed failures.

#78 9 years ago

8/12

FH Flipper and Fuse, Trapdoor, switch, DMD

WW Flipper , All Flashers

Dr Dude Flipper and Fuse

T2 Flipper and Fuse

SS all Optos out, F109 Fuse

Kiss Spinner Target

Transformers still awaiting parts from Stern.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Technically, FH has a dual alpha display ... not a DMD .....

Try putting in the hours I work and see if you make a dumb blunder posting late at night like I did!

Yes it is a dual Alpha Numeric Display and it still failed LOL

#84 9 years ago

8/13

WW Upper flipper

Wh20 Left flipper

WOZ Left flipper

Kiss plunger

ACDC trough Opto

Quoted from TomGWI:

How many light boards have you replaced on WOZ so far? Just curious.

On the machine at modern all boards plus three more, but to be fair, the machine was one of the very first off the line and had the original bad boards it had many original prototype parts which eventually got replaced.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Eddie, any advice for the common problem of needing to reseat the ball trough board connectors on modern stern pins? Seems very common for games i find in the wild to have trough issues. Its such a simple fix to reseat them on my personal pins at the first sign of the game loosing track of balls, draining while ball is in play etc.... But in you situation that would happen a lot more frequently... Do you take preventative action? Dab of hot glue, zip ties, etc.?
Thanks for the daily updates. It is interesting.

Three ways to solve the issue

One is rather crude and not recommended splay the connector pins then put the connector back with the added pressure holding them together.

Two replace the connectors with molex connectors

Three the sure fire approach but the most involved is to solder the wires directly to the opto boards.

8/14

TSPP reset issue

MB both EOS switches . UP /Down target bank finally repaired with new gears.

T2 plunger coil

Kiss Outlane kicker

MET auto Plunger

SS still has all optos out

Mustang Post fell off screw missing.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Is AVLE still there? Do people play it? Because I'm not reading a lot of fixes for it.

Its still there maybe the reasons for no failure posts by me is that there may have been failures that the other tech repaired on his shift or the fact that it is not played as much as the other machines?

#88 9 years ago

8/19

TSPP Flipper base (Both coil stop screws sheared off)

AC/DC Cannon

WW Spinner switch

BR Magnet coil wire , Plunger rubber tip

MB Flipper base Coil stop screw hole stripped

MET post sheared off

SS POP switch

WOZ ball lock mech

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from deadzebra:

I was wondering where the Cannon was when I was there this weekend! I think your WOZ is missing a monkey too

The cannon is back.

The Monkey was on Lunch Break!

#91 9 years ago

8/20

AC/DC Cannon

BR Sling Shot Bracket

TSPP Plunger Crank

MB Both flipper assemblies

Dont know from which machines but two Stern Ball Tough assemblies cracked and were left by the other tech. This has happened more than once on every Stern

Also very common are Stern coil stop screws shearing off at the head. They need to use Hardened steel for the application not the cheap pot metal screws they seem to be using. You can use Williams coil stop screws as a better alternative to the stock Stern screws. Yes they break off too but usually only after many many years of use whereby they become corroded, rusted etc.

#93 9 years ago

8/21

AF Pop Bumper RING and metal Yoke, Plunger, Both flipper links

FH Multiball issues

MB Right flipper coil stop, EOS switch

BR Sling Rubber. Switch

WH20 Coil stop

WOZ Multiball Issue

ST auto launch plunger

AC/DC Switch

#96 9 years ago

Eddie, when you were at PAPA it was like a MASH unit in there! Welcome home!

Thanks but I have never had the fortune to be at PAPA!

Quoted from Gorgar1:

With the acdc canon issues do you see the problem where two balls are loaded into the canon during MB and then the canon can't swing and could damage the motor?

Yes happens often because the opto switch plate rubs against the opto, or the arm that activates the cannon home switch does not reach the switch activator because the activator gets bent or the arm travel is to short . Its a really horrible fragile mechanism that is not suitable for a Pinball machine I would call it a design failure for sure.

8/26

TSPP Slingshot , R Flipper

FG Shooter lane Switch

SS Left Flipper/ Both EOS switches

WW Switch

AC/DC CANNON

Transfomers Cannon ball Lock

Punchy the Clown Ball Guide

WH20 Switch

Once again these are just the bare basic failures if you need any details on a particular failure please ask it would take too long to write them all up.!!!!!!!!!

#97 9 years ago

8/ 27

From now on I will try my best to take pics of the failures that take place if I have the time of course.

I also took a pic of the crowded conditions of trying to work on numerous failures as fast as possible.

You will also see things that cause the failures many being and, Im out front with it. the other tech using wrong parts or just doing things the wrong way period.

Maybe not all his fault as he may be told to use whats lying around because our inventory is a sham. Vent Vent LOL

There is a pic of WOZ Flipper Mech which you get to figure whats wrong and you will see what I mean about the other techs work!

Avengers Ball lock spring. Pic is with new spring installed on cleaned up assembly. Switch , LED

T2 L Flipper mech, F101

WOZ L Flipper

WH20 both Flippers

AF EOS switch, Both Flipper Mechs

MB Switch

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
12.jpg12.jpg
16.jpg16.jpg

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

these games must get played a ton!
very cool thread!

7 days a week almost non stop Im surprised they haven't melted yet!

#103 9 years ago

8/28

T2... 2 Trough related issues Cracked guide, Broken One way wire form gate Both very common we go through many of each. pics attached

Shooter lane auto shooter assembly no pics.

SM Broken Plastic

FG Broken Plastic

2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg
#106 9 years ago

Where do you buy those one way wire replacements? I need one for my FT.

Marco has them

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man, T2 seems to be giving you hella issues lately...

T2 was a machine brought into Modern as a last minute replacement it was never shopped or gone over in who knows how many years hence all of the problems. It really needs to be pulled and restored more than a typical shop job.

#108 9 years ago

9/2

WOZ Flipper

WW Multiball issue switch related

AC/DC Cannon yet again

DM Ramp screw

WCS Lamp board connector pins

AF Up kicker due to the way the other Tech installed a switch. (To be fair to the other Tech it may not have been him as the owners fancy themselves to be techs and try working on the machines with horrendous results so I can't say who did it) Can you see what I have to deal with ?

Plunger due to Apron section over ball being bent out of shape. Only cause could be that the playfield was lifted by that part UGH!!!!!!

CSI switch

Note conditions that the machines need to be repaired under. Many things such as full flipper rebuilds done on the spot so the leagues can continue. Many times no power outlet available near the machine that needs work done. More often than not out of the parts needed for the job but they are slowly working on that.

1-485.jpg1-485.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
5.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg

#110 9 years ago

9/3

DM left flipper Tech left out washer on flipper link you can see the results.

WCS Opto. lamp board

SS Ball gate

FT Actuater arm

MB 4 switches, up down targets, Flasher socket, standup target. All of these issues with the exception of the flasher socket were caused once again by the other tech. Here is the sequence of events. Tech replaced the standup target by Frankie with the wrong target, The bolts held the new target assembly together stock used rivets. When the target was installed in the machine the bolts stopped the Up /Down target assembly from traveling upward. This pounding of the bolts caused the Standup target mounting screws to stress the holes they were located in the playfield to the point that the screws simply fell out. Once they did the standup target fell out shorting other switches and causing other mayhem. The fix? repair the playfield holes that are used for the Stand up target mounting screws. Reverse the bolts in the stand up assembly so they do not block the Up Down target assembly, replace some switch diodes.

1-301.jpg1-301.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
9.jpg9.jpg
5-568.jpg5-568.jpg

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Man that SS must get pummeled. Poor thing's always breaking down.

If I gave you a Million $ for every hour that it is not played you would be on the soup line!

#115 9 years ago

9/4

TSSP left Flipper Base plate stripped coil stop screw holes.This is a very common occurrence.

Pic shows what was found as playfield was lifted.

WW Multiball issue

FH Mirror relight issue

1-193.jpg1-193.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg

#119 9 years ago

9/9

AC/DC Fixed the cannon how long will it hold up?????

Led Socket

Three bank Drop target assembly was going haywire and what would be the cause?

Lets just say the other "Tech" reared his head again with yet another of his great masterpieces. Can you can guess
what the issue was in the pic?

SM Doc Ock Magnet

Metallica switch

Wh20 Ball sticking Upper Playfield

Transformers Ball lock trough.

Gold Strike Lock Down Bar , 5 relay switches,

MB removed for Gold Strike Moderns first EM!

SS removed for Party Zone

1-403.jpg1-403.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Get rid of the other tech.

Would be easier beating Keith Elwin, Bowen Kerins ,Daniele Accari and Lyman Sheats 10 games each back to back or Beating Valentino Rossi in 10 races on 10 different tracks back to back.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Sc1f1:

Flipper rubber behind the T drop target?

BINGO Flipper rubber in place of the 1" ring Left target hung up on it numerous times throwing the sequence out of whack

Quoted from thedefog:

Do the Stern and other modern games get considerably more playtime, or are they just more prone to breakdown? Seems like some of the older games that have probably already had decades of use actually give you less trouble. Regardless, this is a really cool thread. I'm surprised you have the time to even update it.

All machines get the same amount of play new, old is doesn't matter.

The question of new Stern parts failing over Old Williams could be valid.

As the Williams parts are 20 to 30 yrs old on most assemblies (Not Flipper parts) with the same amount of playtime as New Sterns.

Outside of flipper parts and plunger wear between the two companies which is fairly the same the issue is the mfg process of the main assemblies.

For instance Stern Ball troughs and other assembly brackets fail to cheap spot welding plain and simple.

Stern could ask the MFGs to use larger weld beads and or bracket supports and this would solve the issue for a minimal cost.

I have had to weld numerous Troughs and brackets from Stern and very few from Williams given the age of both it raises questions.

For example here is a pic of two more Stern Brackets needing re-welding these two make about 10 this year which is almost 1 per month.

Stern Auto plunger pins are another weak point that should be welded stronger as they fail often.

In all I would say I have welded up 20+ Stern parts as compared to 2 Williams parts and one I reworked stronger as There were no replacements to be found when it failed but now it is obtainable. The Scared Stiff Crate Door lock plunger.

Quoted from Rick432:

JJP and Stern should just drop off new titles here pre-release. After about two weeks, they'll know EXACTLY where the design flaws are.
Furthermore, if pin manufacturer could develop a pin that makes money AND can survive this location, they've got lightning in a bottle.

I have made this suggestion to the owners but didn't get feedback. From my understanding one of the owners Steve Epstein of the Broadway Arcade had said that the BA was used back in the day by the Pinball MFGs for just that purpose. So maybe History will repeat itself.

1-577.jpg1-577.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5-152.jpg5-152.jpg
#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'm going to be in NYC for a week in late October and this place in on the top of my list to visit at least once. Can you tell me when the more quiet time of the day seems to be? I'm sure the place is busy, but any tip on a time of day where it starts to slow down a bit?

I would say the early hours. I am there only on Tues ,Wed and Thurs from 5pm- until Im too beat to stay.

Those times are also League nights so its really packed.

So I couldn't really say when the quiet times are as there are Parties on weekends along with other customers.

#132 9 years ago

9/10

FH Rudy's face , Popbumper switch

BR Pop bumper and its related switch both have issues.

Dr Dude GI went out

Today there was a wonderful surprise visit to Modern Pinball by Non other than George Gomez, designer of my favorite pin RFM, Gary Stern and Jody Dankberg.

Fortunately they arrived during a very rare lull at Modern the first that I have seen and less than a half hour after they left it was Grand Central Station as usual.

George had nothing but nice things to say about the machines he saw at Modern.
It was too bad that we just removed MB just this past Monday in lieu of Gold Strike (MB is to be placed on location elsewhere in Manhattan).
I restored the MB at Modern and would have liked to have heard what Mr Gomez thought of it.
Mr Stern also appeared to be pleased with Modern and the conditions of the machines so I guess we are doing a good job.

Some things revealed to me during our small chat gave me the impression that Stern not only wants to be a pinball manufacturer but the best pinball manufacturer. Ill leave it at that.

Disclaimer : I am an extremely objective person and did not say that just because they visited.

Needless to say it was my best day working at Modern Pinball so far.

1-58.jpg1-58.jpg
#136 9 years ago

9/11

New machine brought to Modern! A Gottlieb Bank Shot in Beautiful condition.

The machine had two fails. It did not score on any switch.

The tens chime didnt chime.

Causes were the 100 pt relay or "M: relay was out of alignment (Not the switches but the actuator) it took awhile to figure this out as it was my first time working on a Gottlieb EM no schematics either.

The chime coil had a dead short so one is on order.

Black Knight lock switch fails , Ball trough switch fails

1-36.jpg1-36.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg
#138 9 years ago

9/16/14

BR Fuse, POP transistor not related to fuse issue.

BK GI due to some techs connector hack

AC/DC Mini flipper rubber the first broken rubber at Modern and it was not a Super Band but standard stock Rubber. Super bands are going in.

Mini playfield switches.

ST Stand up target. Note in pics a lamp board had to be removed to access the stand up target mounting screws another, slowing down of a repair for operators. It was hard to get a clear pic so the lamp board looks like there is clearance but I am actually holding it slightly above its mounting holes.

1-220.jpg1-220.jpg
2-179.jpg2-179.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
5-306.jpg5-306.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg

#140 9 years ago

9/17

Dr Dude Crash test dummy stiff limbs, Flipper coil wire.

BK Ball Lock issues, Lamp socket issues

AC/DC Drop target
2-640.jpg2-640.jpg
1-852.jpg1-852.jpg

#141 9 years ago

9/18

Bank Shot

Add a ball Issue, numerous lamp socket issues. Typical with old lamp sockets they are loose as the insulation dries out and shrinks not to mention corrosion. About 10 sockets were bad but instead of replacing them with new parts ( My choice) I jumpered a wire (in red in the pic) to the afflicted sockets. In hind sight I could have simply soldered the orange wires directly to the base but thats what happens when your in a rush and going on 14 hrs of work.
Either sandpaper or use a file on areas to be soldered then clean with alcohol for the solder to take
3.jpg3.jpg

Avengers Drop target bank,

Star Trek Drop Target

BK POP Bumper

#142 9 years ago

9/23

AF POP switch

BR Slingshot Switch

BK2K Lock issue board connector related.

FH Outhole switch, Balltrough bottom track, Ball trough One way gate. Filthy Subway. DMD Ribbon cable

Remember to clean your subways and the assemblies attached to them not to mention the underside of the playfield where the subways are attached!

In the pic with the Outhole switch look up to the upper left and note that one screw is holding the bottom of the ball trough. This caused many issues as the trough bottom shifted which in turn caused the outhole lock switch actuator to jam against it and bending it to the point of it being very weak. With the trough askew the wireform one way gate fatigued from being out of alignment and broke. All for the loss of a screw the war was lost!
1-351.jpg1-351.jpg
2-176.jpg2-176.jpg
5-402.jpg5-402.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
11.jpg11.jpg
1-756.jpg1-756.jpg

#143 9 years ago

9/24

No time for pics today

TZ Shooter Diverter

Transformers, Ramp problems

Avengers, Ramp problems

BK Sound board

ACDC Ball trough

Mustang Ball Trough

TOM Eddy board

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been to Modern Pinball twice...both times to play games (of course). I'm thinking I need to make another trip just to meet Eddie. I'd love to have him teach me a thing or two about repairs. I work for free when I'm being trained!

You can find me at MPNYC Tues,Wed and Thurs from 5pm till?

I would be more than happy to go over some things you may have questions about.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I think by reading this topic/posts I think the other tech is what failed today and every other day...

That would be a good conclusion but as I have posted before the 1 owner fancies himself to be a "tech" and the other thinks he knows how to tinker. So there are three putting there paws into the machines
that don't belong not only are they mechanically inept they are technically inept as well.

Either you have it or you don't and no amount of teaching will help.

The Transformers ramp issue in my earlier post was again the result of one of the three musketeers which one? I have no clue.

#148 9 years ago

9/25

AF Popbumper, Filthy Subway

Was told that on AF the upper left POP wasnt working. Went into switch test and depressing the skirt
did nothing. I figured just the switch out of alignment. Sure enough upon raising the playfield the switch blades were making contact. A quick adjustment and in test mode all was good but was it?

Every time the pop popped there was a very odd rattling sound of metal.

I took a close look at the mech and can you believe it both ring shafts had come off of the ring.

I also noticed that someone else had replaced the Williams yokes with Gottlieb Yokes and they had left the washers off of the ring shafts.

Could this have led to the catastrophic failure of the ring?

Did someone over tighten the ring nuts?

Of course out of 5 pops on AF the one that broke was the one buried under the ramp.

I also noticed a few more tech marvels under the playfield.

A switch with plane white paper for insulation and an old style plunger with the new style return spring.

I also noticed a very odd break in a coil back how did that happen?

The subway was filthy as well and dirtier than a NYC subway and thats dirty!

Gold Strike Flipper

T2 ball trough.

1-597.jpg1-597.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
5-908.jpg5-908.jpg
2-837.jpg2-837.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
10.jpg10.jpg
11.jpg11.jpg
9.jpg9.jpg
12.jpg12.jpg
13.jpg13.jpg

#151 9 years ago

9/30

No time to take more pics.
There were many issues and only 2 hrs to solve and repair them before the League started

AC/DC Ball Trough and once again Cannon

ST Ball Trough

AF Plunger

BR Plunger

TZ Proximity sensor. Ball Popper Opto, Gumball Switch

WPT Ball getting stuck under Mini playfield

PZ Lower POP Bumper

1-872.jpg1-872.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
11.jpg11.jpg
13.jpg13.jpg
9.jpg9.jpg

#158 9 years ago

10/1

BK2K Flipper coil/Plunger failure of both possible causes are old worn out parts with traces of oxidation, Flipper bushing missing 2 screws. Note in pic Flipper base is also missing 2 screws. Bk2k has had many many issues the main reason is that it was brought to Modern after sitting for many years in a non climate controlled warehouse all parts are Original. It needed a complete shop job before being brought to Modern but that wasn't the case. All flipper assemblies are getting rebuilt.

AC/DC Ball stuck in shooter lane, screw and washer from ramp post can be seen in the pic the screw was the culprit.

ST Drop target issues possible cause failing opto

GS weak flippers

TOM Eddy Sensor

11.jpg11.jpg

14.jpg14.jpg
13.jpg13.jpg
18.jpg18.jpg
19.jpg19.jpg

Quoted from _litz:

That smashed trough proxy sensor from TZ is very common, when it's improperly installed and the balls can hit it ...

In the case of this sensor the fasteners became loose from vibration causing the sensor to shift. This has happened many times over the thousands of plays this machine gets. The new unit will have locktite between the fastener heads and the mounting bracket.

#165 9 years ago

10 /2

All of these issues have to be diagnosed and repaired if parts are available or by other means in two hours by me so that the machines are ready for the League. Yes you read that right.

Wh20 3 Leds out

AF Swamp Kickout due to main ball catcher under the thing coming out of its holding track how that happened with all fasteners tight is very odd, this was a tough one as by all appearances it looked fine and was solid no play at all... Plunger not plunging ball more than 2 inches due to Apron plunger guide shearing at its seam then blocking the plunger.

ST yesterdays mode issues addressed turned out to be the stand up target was bent to the point that the contacts were less then a hair from touching, Only a certain vibration not any caused contact. The pic is after the blades were readjusted. This was a tough one as the switch read as good in test mode and never read as active.

FT Lamp board Pins were fine it was the IDC connector that was bad

Avengers Left Flipper

Gold Strike both lower Flippers rebuilt, POP bumper lamps out

FG Lois not registering, Leds out

PZ stuck ball

DRDude Stuck ball, Lamp board

WCS Diverter Spring and none in stock, Flipper Plunger Link

plus all these machines were cleaned.

1-857.jpg1-857.jpg
2-843.jpg2-843.jpg
// Error: Image 295417 not found //
4.jpg4.jpg

5-930.jpg5-930.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
3-291.jpg3-291.jpg

Quoted from _litz:

Stuff the screw holes with toothpicks, too, to get the screws to really grip well; should help prevent them backing out.
Can't remember what's above that, off hand, but if it's within the space under the arch, consider replacing with t-nuts, using longer threaded screws, and backing onto them from above with nyloc nuts.

This goes without saying however I prefer to use Bamboo combined with carpenters glue as it is much stronger.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

The bent switch, you have to "thump test" the game to find ... just pound the playfield with a closed fist up and down the length while in switch test, and see what shows up.

This was the first test done by two people on both sides of the cabinet from the coindoor to the backbox and nothing registered. This is a normal step in many steps of trying to diagnose an issue such as this.

#169 9 years ago

10/7

Machines down upon my arrival to Modern.

AC/DC auto plunger, Center drop target

TSPP Auto Plunger

WCS R Flipper

PZ L Flipper

Bankshot No power to score motor

BK R and L Flippers

Only had time to take two pics one was really pointless as I took the pic after removing the flipper coil and plunger from WCS Duh! The pawl was also replaced after the pic was taken.

The other pics shows the EOS switch making contact with the Pawl of PZ .

Had to stop working on machines after only two repairs as there was a video of Modern being made. When that was done I was relegated to score keeping for league night not really a techs job. The failures will be building up
by the time I get there tonight I hope I can catch up.

1-613.jpg1-613.jpg 2-849.jpg2-849.jpg
#170 9 years ago

10/8

AC/DC standup target, Plunger

WH20 Reset issue

BR R Flipper/ Ball guide screw in switch

AF Swamp subway alignment

The new TZ proximity sensor arrived and look at the differences. The connector was mounted on the opposite side of the board and is a different connector. The mounting plate is at an angle as compared to the 90% of the original and it is mounted to the board with machine screws and nuts as compared to rivets. The bracket angle is actually an improvement. How can the wrong connector be installed on the wrong side? With a little rework the board is the way it should be and TZ now has POWER BALL again.

Also note the new flipper plunger,pawl and link installed on the R Flipper of BR. This has the new style return spring as opposed to the Old style that remains on the L Flipper. Eventually all of Moderns machines will have the new style replacing the old.

1-219.jpg1-219.jpg 2-474.jpg2-474.jpg 3-194.jpg3-194.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5-221.jpg5-221.jpg
#171 9 years ago

10/9

TZ Bridge Diverter actuator, Coil Lug

TSPP Plunger

AC/DC Center drop target

Avengers Drop Target bank

Complaint that the TSPP plunger wasn't working correctly. Upon Lifting the playfield I was greeted with another Tech Hack! Hmmmm lets see the plunger spring has failed so maybe Ill just take two broken half springs of different tension strength and intermesh them together to make a full size spring. Why bother myself to go to the supply room and get a new one?

May I suggest that TZ owners order a few Bridge diverter actuator wires just in case for when that fails you lose huge game features! Or have wire on hand to make your own.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-7082

1-148.jpg1-148.jpg 2-532.jpg2-532.jpg 3-319.jpg3-319.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg
#172 9 years ago

10/14

TZ Right deflector assembly cracked. Filthy subways

Dr Dude POP switch bent closed

AF Left Flipper

BSD Lightning Flippers installed for the first time. Machine came with standard Flipper bats but it should have had Lightning Flippers, as it came from the factory which are just a bit smaller 1/8 inch difference. Note that the lightning flippers have more bracing underneath then the longer flippers. The machine was designed for use with the standard size Flippers so they are the flippers I would prefer to have used.

The Walking Dead arrives on Wednesday. The Stern launch party trophy is part of the swag the factory sent us.

1-295.jpg1-295.jpg
2-99.jpg2-99.jpg
3-63.jpg3-63.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
5-785.jpg5-785.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
9.jpg9.jpg
10.jpg10.jpg

#173 9 years ago

Just finished welding up the TZ bracket and thought I would show how I reenforced it with a much larger bead not just a spot weld.

1-625.jpg1-625.jpg
2-156.jpg2-156.jpg
3-905.jpg3-905.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg

#174 9 years ago

10/15

TZ coil wire, Switch

WCS Diverter spring

BSD EOS switch

FH Display

Numerous Stuck balls on different machines.

Big failure…. the no show of TWD should arrive tomorrow!

While replacing the Deflector and actuator in TZ I cleaned the subways. This is a task that is done routinely on the machines at Modern.

Clean those subways it helps to keep your playfields, the switches and especially the optos clean.

1-496.jpg1-496.jpg

#178 9 years ago

10/16

TWD arrived and had an issue with the plunger. It was installed to far towards the center of the cabinet causing the plunger to strike the auto kicker on its left side to the point that the plunger wouldn't plunge. The unit had to be removed and realigned. Note in the pic from within the cabinet the two holes which lock the assembly in place. They are too far to the right so new holes had to be made to lock the unit into the correct place.

It also had its left flipper stick up due to the left button being out of adjustment.

Many lamp sockets dislocated maybe from shipping?

Numerous loose fasteners. All Pop bumper housings and lockdown bar stay were the most egregious and some connectors.

TZ coil wire, Opto switch

FH display time for a new ribbon cable!

In the photos are of one of the owners Steve Zahler in orange shirt and Francesco La Rocca Staff member and tournament organizer extrodinaire both are Highly Ranked players.

1-457.jpg1-457.jpg
2-889.jpg2-889.jpg
3-939.jpg3-939.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
5-108.jpg5-108.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg
8.jpg8.jpg
9.jpg9.jpg
11.jpg11.jpg
12-388.jpg12-388.jpg
13.jpg13.jpg
14.jpg14.jpg
15.jpg15.jpg
16.jpg16.jpg
17.jpg17.jpg
18.jpg18.jpg
19.jpg19.jpg
20.jpg20.jpg

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Eddie, what kind of welder are you using? You did a nice job, especially cleaning it up.

Miller Maxstar 152

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o206e_mil.pdf

#183 9 years ago

10/21

I dont know what if anything failed today as I took off for my B-day

One bit of interest however is that TWD had 547 plays on it by Sat eve closing time. The machine was powered up for the first time on Thursday at around 6:30 pm. Most plays by people that did not know it was a new machine just another in the lineup!

I dont know of anyplace where machines get played as much as at Modern. TWD had more plays then a lot of machines at Expo which ran for more time than we had TWD.

#187 9 years ago

10/22

T2 Reset issue

TZ coil, Blown fuses

BK trough switch

BSD lamp connector burned, Drop target due to techs switch hack. Wrong actuator was hacked and would snag on the Drop targets E Clip post. This is getting really old.

Dr Dude Popbumper switch

1-59.jpg1-59.jpg 2-472.jpg2-472.jpg
#190 9 years ago

10/23

FG Ramp, After removing broken ramp assembly I saw totally unacceptable filth. Time for a real cleaning. Beer can screw missing.

Kiss Switch cap

FH lamp socket

1-848.jpg1-848.jpg 2-982.jpg2-982.jpg 3-447.jpg3-447.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5-82.jpg5-82.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg
#191 9 years ago

10/28

5 machines down upon arrival! Too busy to take pics but I did get one in.

BR Transistor, Fuse

SM Transistor

BSD Lft Flipper Mech

TZ Transistor

TSPP mini flipper coil

Why does Stern use hot glue on the ribbon connecter between boards?
Yes they can come loose in shipping and during gameplay vibration but so can the other connectors.
Its really a time waster in the field when trying to do board work.
Maybe its just the situation at Modern where machines are right next to each other and you can't pull them out for servicing so trying to remove the hot glue becomes a real task.

I do find however that the easiest way to remove it is to use very long thin needle nose pliers and grab a bit of it and wind it off by rotating the pliers. It usually comes right off very cleanly. That is if you can reach it!

1-307.jpg1-307.jpg
#192 9 years ago

10/29

TZ All opto switches. 10 opto board entered the Twlight Zone it simply vanished. Where did it go?????????

FG New ramp installed , Can screw missing did it enter the twilight Zone too? The can screws back out very often but never disappear had to use a screw other than stock. Locktite is not a good option for this particular application but thats another story.

ST upper flipper coil lug

PZ flipper coil wire

CSI auto plunger fell apart this is the second auto plunger of this type that has completely failed will take pics tonight.

1-620.jpg1-620.jpg 2-134.jpg2-134.jpg 3-951.jpg3-951.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5-290.jpg5-290.jpg
#193 9 years ago

10/30

TSPP Upper right flipper transistor This makes the 3rd flipper transistor this week not counting 3 more from location machines that were brought to me for rework at Modern. All Stern Flipper transistors. One way to help with this is to not only replace the shorted transistor but to use a more robust one and to also remove caps C52 and C53 from the driver board.

BR Ball lifter Magnet Switch

WH20 Reset due to loose connector

CSI Auto shooter arm This is the fourth auto shooter arm failure and the third from a Stern machine

The pivot post needs to be redesigned or reinforced where it meets the main arm body.

The Weld simply fails and the pivot post detaches from the arm. If you have a machine with this part I would recommend that you inspect the pivot post weld. The Pivot post has the E clip on the end holding the assembly to the shooter arm holder for lack of a better name. I didn't have time to take more than one pic of the unit, so, in the pic you can only see the arm. The pivot post with Eclip still attached fell into the cabinet. The hole in the Arm is where the post was attached.

1-886.jpg1-886.jpg

#194 9 years ago

Not taking pics is what failed, no time to do so.

TSPP CPU lockup

ST Slingshot rubber was slung

VND rollover switches

WOZ flipper return spring

TZ Flakey Ramp Diverter followed by all flippers Locked on

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I would like to hear a little more if you get time, particularly on the removal of the caps.
Thx for updating the thread!

I assume you are asking how to remove the caps?

Its fairly easy and you do not need SM equipment.

You will need a standard soldering Iron, Tweezers, Flux and some fine metal side cutters. Some form of solder removal device Braid, Desoldering Gun/Station. Alcohol 99% and Maybe a magnifying glass

1 Add flux to one leg of the component.

2 Hold component from above with the tweezers near the fluxed end and heat solder with Iron.

3 With very light upward pull of the tweezers the Cap will lift off of the pad when the solder is molten. DO not force! Simply hold the Cap with an upward pull and the Cap end will rise off the pad when the correct heat is reached.

4 Repeat with other end.

5 Remove cap solder from pads.

6 Clean flux off of pads.

7 An alternative for those not good with soldering you can simply cut the caps in two coming down on the center of the cap with fine cutters. Be sure the cap halves do not make further contact with each other. I don't like this method at all but it will work.

Of course there are better and correct ways of doing this, but most don't have the proper tools in their homes so this is posted for them.

#201 9 years ago

11/5

AC/DC TNT lights locked on , Controlled lighting middle and lower playfield out. Switches

TSPP Plunger e clip broke

Mustang Plunger Roll pin broke yes the steel roll pin, not the nylon plunger head.

TZ Ribbon cable

DR Dude stuck ball

1-897.jpg1-897.jpg 2-508.jpg2-508.jpg 3-642.jpg3-642.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5-341.jpg5-341.jpg
#202 9 years ago

11/6

FG Single Drop Target, Coil stop sheared from both of its mounting tabs.

VND Lamp, Dirty Glo Balls

WH20 numerous stuck balls due to machine being out of level

TWD Well walker not registering hits.

1-908.jpg1-908.jpg 2-439.jpg2-439.jpg 3-113.jpg3-113.jpg
#204 9 years ago

To be honest after the initial set up I haven't had a chance to look at the machines workings.

I am aware of the issue with TWD in general but I haven't had the chance to look at ours while the other machines were down for their issues.

As soon as I can, I will see what can be done to remedy the no registers.

I will post my finding here.

#205 9 years ago

11/11

Gold strike major fail!!!!!! When I arrived at Modern I was greeted with the machine minus a playfield.

Oh there is one up against a wall in the in the back.

Its not the same playfield it is a beaten worn out playfield with many issues.

It is a replacement for the beautiful, shiny, fully functioning playfield that was in the machine originally.

It was sitting there waiting for me to install it. The wonders of Modern Pinball

T2 Small lamp board, Gun Mech. Its the guns internals that have worn not the gun switch so the pic is not accurate. That said the Gun switch mounting holes need to be reworked on the cabinet. Right flipper sticking.

FH Most of the coils went out and the fuses are fine as are the board voltages.
This will be a fun fix.

TSPP couch ball holder.

5.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg

#206 9 years ago

11/12

T2 Gun Mech... small spring had two windings break off with the pieces remaining in the housing causing trigger jams and weakness. Standup Target sheared off at mount. Right flipper pawl worn through.

TZ Right Flipper would stick up … Wrong return spring was used. In the pic the top spring is a Droptarget spring the one below, a flipper return spring. Both springs appear identical but both have different tensions. The drop target spring has very weak tension as it doesn't need to be very strong.

BR Plunger

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg
#208 9 years ago
Quoted from BigOrange:

Do you ever get stumped by anything???

Absolutely! Mainly when something was altered with a machine without my knowing, such as the case with the flipper spring in the prior post. Or there are no manuals or schematics which can help with an issue.

When I do get stumped, if given enough time, I can usually solve the issue and if not, I come to Pinside and RGP for assistance or use Clays Brilliant guides.

We all get stumped at one time or another without exception.

Once you think you know it all or can solve any problem on your own you already have a problem.

#211 9 years ago

11/13

AF Opto wire

FH Cause of the coils failing the other night discovered! First wire in the daisy chain appeared to be soldered to a coil lug but in fact wasnt. Being the first in the chain it took out all of the coils in the string when it detached.

WOZ Stand up target detached wire and detached Diode leg. Each on different lugs of the same switch. The wire detached due to too much tension on the wire harness with no slack in the wire at all. A wire extension was added.

PTC ( Punchy the Clown ) not POTC.... Bulb socket detached from under playfield.

3-797.jpg3-797.jpg 6-676.jpg6-676.jpg 9-240.jpg9-240.jpg 12-769.jpg12-769.jpg
#213 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Where did the missing TZ 10-opto PCB end up being found?
I've checked the BoMs for several WMS games, and the 10-364 spring is used on both fliptronic return springs, and drop target down springs ...
Are you sure you didn't have an incorrect one to begin with?
(there are some really fat springs the same length as a 10-364 that are very very weak)

The 10 opto board reappeared just as mysteriously as it vanished!

The spring that was wrong was not one that I installed someone at Modern installed it.

The owners had ordered the 10-364 springs for the drop targets labeled from Marco as drop target springs. They also ordered 10-364 Flipper return springs which were labeled as such from Marco
However the drop springs were extremely weaker no question with just enough tension to hold their own shape. Maybe a bad batch or a knock off?

Note in the pic with the springs the amount of windings and spring thickness you can see the difference.

#214 9 years ago

11/18

BR Complaint that left sling wasn't working. The pics show why.

No time for more pics as the drop target on Transformers would not stay up, had to find a remedy before the league started.

FT lamp board

AF Plunger lane.

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3-48.jpg3-48.jpg
#215 9 years ago

11/19

Pinball anomaly day at Modern as there were really NO fails! This gave me time to work on prior fails.

Transformers drop target is continuing its issue and without a diagram of the assembly (Transformers LE is not completely covered in Transformers manual) no Specific Transformers LE manuals either, It is hard to tell if a piece has broken off or if a part has worn causing the issue. Without a diagram or any info on this Drop target I cannot even get a part number. Stern will have to be contacted on this.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Eddie, as a former mechanical engineer with a penchant for tinkering, I love reading this thread and seeing your updates and photos, so keep up the good work.
FYI, I avoided reading this thread for the longest time, because I misread the title as "What Failed Today? Modern Pinball NYC is going out of business", thinking it was just another thread about the death of the pinball hobby. Glad I finally took a peek.

Interesting take on the Title but I can see how it can be read that way.

Thanks for the Kudos

I hope this thread is helpful in some way, its the reason I started it.

Many times I simply don't have the chance or time to take pics and some things are not pic worthy. Burned bulbs etc. I will try harder to get more pics of issues as they speak louder than words.

Just as a reminder these posts are very basic if any questions are brought up on an issue posted please feel free to ask.

Lets see tonight if we can go 2 days in a row without one machine having a failure.

#219 9 years ago

11/20

Very interesting day as Steve Marsh a pinsider here and friend came by Modern to volunteer to help with any machine issues.

Since he owns a Gold Strike and I was stumped as to why I couldn't solve the issue, he had at it.

It turns out that I had not noticed a small delay in the Hundreds reel as it continuously rotated.

This was pointed out to me by Steve that it was due to the 5OOths points being scored and not the 100s. So at every 500 points scored there was a small delay in the reel spin that I didn't notice.

I was searching for a shorted 100s switch when all along it was a 500 point switch.

Once that was pointed out it was straight forward to find the shorted 500 point switch and voila the machine is up and running.

Thanks so much Steve for pointing out something that I hadn't noticed.

A good example of often times its the simplest things.

PTC Drop target bank wouldn't reset, Due to two issues one and most important a shorted coil power supply wire and two a build up of oxidation corrosion on the assembly. The assembly was taken apart and rehabbed

T2 DMD Ribbon cable came loose

OK so I blew it again on not taking more pics but PTC and GS had to get up and running.

I did get a bad pick of another busy MPNY pinball night.

3-347.jpg3-347.jpg 2-868.jpg2-868.jpg 1-492.jpg1-492.jpg 4-396.jpg4-396.jpg
#220 9 years ago

11/25

No pics as there was no time

TZ Ramp diverter, Trough coil wire

BZ Both Slings. Ball carrier Magnet switch.

DM Trough Coil not firing possible tip 102

AF plunger due to sheared apron. This is a recurring issue until the aprons shooter guide can be replaced or repaired.

#222 9 years ago

It was due to the mech being caught on its own opto as it moved.

This is a design flaw as it is fairly common.

The opto needs to have slotted screw holes for its mounting bracket so that the opto may be shifted for when the interrupter shifts from wear in its moving parts.

#223 9 years ago

11/26

Wh20 two switches had both of their wires disconnect and one switch was dead.

Dr Dude POP bumper coil and its lamp base. Both lamp base wires detached

DM intermittent coil failure

TZ intermittent coil failure

BR coil

ACDC lower playfield flippers

AF thing flips but wasnt

Avitar Power ball not recognized

Obviously no time for pics.

#224 9 years ago

11/27 Thanksgiving

Thought it would be a quiet day but literally as we were turning the lights on we had people come in to play.

AF Switch actuator peg wore off, coil wires detached

TOM Flipper bushing broke in half. Two switches had wires detach.

TDW had Code updated

BR Coil wire detached

KISS 3 lamp sockets went bad.

FG Sling shot ring

1-879.jpg1-879.jpg 2-971.jpg2-971.jpg 3-389.jpg3-389.jpg 4-405.jpg4-405.jpg 5-31.jpg5-31.jpg
#225 9 years ago

12/2

Once again I failed to take pics as I was rushed to do board repair on BR in order to get it ready for the league finals.

BR System 11b two blown transistors that were replaced at one point in the machines history by a real hack. All pads were gone with Burn marks everywhere on both top and bottom of board. Traces were burned and lifted as well.

I think they used a blow torch to solder in the transistors.

No proper rework tools at modern and a rush time limit made this board repair a real challenge.

Would like to have taken photos but there was just no way.

Board was repaired and the machine was running for the finals.

Might have been my best board repair yet under the circumstance without proper tools and having someone over my shoulder saying that "you must get it done before the league starts if you can't then just put the board back into the machine and do it later only the machine has to be in the finals". Followed by is it done yet? We don't have a back up for the B division finals". said numerous times.

Nothing to clean the boards with, no alcohol, no flux remover, no brushes , no Fiberglass pen not even any grade of sandpaper. No work bench, no TO-92s I like to replace the pre drivers as well for peace of mind.

No flux, bad lighting and very inconvenient wall outlet. Not a place for board work much less with a time frame.

At least we have a Hakko !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Can you get it ready in time for practice we need this machine"

BK Flipper coil overheating and flipper is weak I am leaning towards an internal coil short. I will know tonight when I get to work on it.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Eddie, what a nightmare!
Good thing you can perform under pressure! That story deserves to be excerpted and posted in your profile. Great read!
You seem like a cool guy with great technical skills, working under less-than-ideal circumstances. I hope your boss appreciates what you do!
Next time I'm in New York, I'm gonna drop by and buy you a beer.

Thanks for the compliment ! The beer is a great gesture but I don't drink if you come to NY Ill buy you a beer!

12/3

Only one new fail but its a repeat for Mustang

The odd Gi Power board has yet again cooked itself this is the second time the GI board has gone bad.

There are no GI shorts so it is a board issue. In the pics you can see a spool shaped cap this likes to fry and make a lot of smoke. Don't know if the cause is the cap supplier or something else on the board. The Bridge tests fine.

Had the chance to repair BK and the coil was shorted, not only that the sleeve was worn through.

The orange flames on the coil wrapper are just shadows my camera is terrible.

I polished up the area before reassembly.

I noticed that there are no rubber end pads on any of the flipper coil assemblies not sure if this is normal on this machine.
The holes are there the grommets are not. I ordered some just in case.
These are the shock absorbing grommets that the plunger link strikes

1.jpg1.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg 9.jpg9.jpg 10-381.jpg10-381.jpg 15.jpg15.jpg 16.jpg16.jpg
#229 9 years ago
Quoted from AZDbacker:

I was visiting NYC over the Thanksgiving holiday and made sure to hit Modern. Was there on Monday around 11:30 AM. I wanted to be there after you had worked on stuff the night before LOL. All games were working and played great except BK. Seemed like the left flippers were super weak. Couldn't get up ramps or anything.

12/4

As you can see by my prior post BK flipper issues have been addressed so now you will have to return to play a much better playing machine!

What failed at Modern?

I DID!!!! I failed to diagnose the cause for a row of switches that were out on WCS.

Tried all of the basic checks first Switchs, Diodes, connectors, Wires, Fuses, 12v etc and replaced bad Trough Optos then simply ran out of time for further tests. CPU ,Opto Boards etc. So the machine has been left un-repared for the other tech until I can return.

I hate leaving a down machine ugh.

#231 9 years ago

12/9

Kiss switching issue.

Two machines will be moving out today in order to prepare for TBL Launch this Fri and Sat.

#233 9 years ago

12/10

AC/DC Ball Trough, Coin door lock

KISS Switch issues resolved. Two Diodes were shorted on two POP bumper switches the havoc that was caused was intense. Endless scoring, POPS Popping, Insert lights going crazy, Pop bumper lights going crazy, all other switches not working, Game would start in this condition with only the flippers working correctly.
Failed switch diodes can really muck things up and can lead the search for the cause in many directions
from failed connectors to board issues etc.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Are you attending the party, Eddie? On call, maybe? Should be fun.

Ill be attending and will take vids of TBL.

IMG_2821.JPGIMG_2821.JPG
#234 9 years ago

12/11

What failed. The cordless drill battery while trying to drill out two machine locks where the keys have vanished.

While in the process of drilling out the locks I noticed and unusual sound emanating from plungers by machines being played along side me.

During my investigation I was amazed but, by now, not surprised by the cause.

Someone had replaced the Plunger shock springs on 4 different machines with washer stacks!!!!!!!

While switching out a Bridge for one of Pinaholics other location machines I was greeted by Barry Driessen Of Dutch Pinball straight from JFK .

His first visit to NY and of course to MPNYC preparing for this weekends Launch for his machine TBL.

Barry is a very pleasant guy.

I will take videos of the machine so you can count on having a good view of what it looks and sounds like.

The machines will arrive today around 3pm.

You will be given a number to play the machine so that you do not have to wait in a line and can enjoy the other 30 machines that MPNYC has to offer.

I will be there tonight only, from 5pm till?

I will not be working as its my day off but I will be helping out. The other tech will be working.

If your a pinsider feel free to introduce yourself I will be wearing my self designed NY pinball history shirt TILT/ Ball Saved

See you tonight.

1.jpg1.jpg
Roger Sharpe Front.JPGRoger Sharpe Front.JPG
Roger Sharpe Back.JPGRoger Sharpe Back.JPG

#236 9 years ago

12/16

Not much to post about for once just two rings on WPT were replaced.

Here are the pics I took of the Big Lebowski Launch on FRI eve just before the sudden turn of events.

Once all is corrected I think there will be a great machine in peoples hands.

Barry told me of the new and unfinished things that they were planning to update the machines with and all looked really good.

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg 9.jpg9.jpg
#237 9 years ago

12/17

FG OPTO transceiver wire broke internally from "Lois" Opto on back of Stewie Pinball.

I took some pics of the underside of the Stewie playfield for those that may not have seen it.

Also some pics of the playfield without the assembly.

BR ball lifter cracked but held together with my brace. Ball guide screws dropped out and the plunger was weak.

Posted a pic inside BR at the power box.

Note all of the gray dust which is metal shavings from assemblies. This dust must be vacuumed up and the interior of the cab cleaned of all dust as well. Do not let this build up in your machines.

1-225.jpg1-225.jpg 2-503.jpg2-503.jpg 3-608.jpg3-608.jpg 4-743.jpg4-743.jpg 5-886.jpg5-886.jpg 6-463.jpg6-463.jpg 7-611.jpg7-611.jpg
#238 9 years ago

12/18

A bit late on this post but have been busy.

Nothing really to speak of as far as fails except

ST left rear gate assembly.

A few plunger tips.

#239 9 years ago

12/23

FG Ball save post and single Drop target.

AF Festers chair Kickout very weak, Mansion Lights weak

Wh20 Ball hang up in upper playfield.

1-972.jpg1-972.jpg

AF Festers kickout coil was removed for inspection for the weak shootout issue.

2-410.jpg2-410.jpg

Coil was fine, Plunger looked great but was replaced with a new one, Sleeve was broken at edges and was replaced. Here you can see the amount of pounding the plunger base did to the coil bracket.

Issue was not resolved after reinstallation of assembly with new parts.

Upon further inspection the cause was that the ball was hitting the bottom of the chair but why?

3-215.jpg3-215.jpg

The chair was still on its mounting posts as it should be it did not get bent down in anyway so the cause?

Turns out the Kickout bracket broke so the part that the ball traveled on raised the center of it up and into the chair!

5-320.jpg5-320.jpg

Here you can see where the bracket had been poorly repaired in the past by the burned weld marks and the new breaks.

6-925.jpg6-925.jpg

The other side.

I will post pics after I repair it the correct way which will also make it much stronger.

7-185.jpg7-185.jpg

FG Single drop target coil wire is about an inch above the lug it separated from

9-961.jpg9-961.jpg

The Ball save post left coil lug wire holding on by threads.

8-908.jpg8-908.jpg
#240 9 years ago

Just finished repairing the Bracket and you can see where I welded along the edges about 2 inches this will make the piece much much stronger and most likely will never fail again in the same manner.

I also cleaned up the old hack type weld from someone else's prior repair.

1-43.jpg1-43.jpg 2-548.jpg2-548.jpg 3-451.jpg3-451.jpg 4-857.jpg4-857.jpg
#246 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

What ended up causing the bad switch row on WCS?

An intermittent loose switch wire.

Quoted from _litz:

Must be bad batch or something ... should be exactly the same.

Could have been as the wire was extremely thin and light almost no tension at all.

#247 9 years ago

12/30

End of year machines trying their best to breakdown.

SM Upper Right Flipper, POP bumper, Ramp
WPT Upper left flipper
PZ Shooter Rod tip
FH Flipper, "E" switch
ACDC Trough
WCS Trough
DR Dude Left Flipper

4.jpg4.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

Non stop play at Modern the ultimate proving Ground for Pins.

6.jpg6.jpg

FH wire off of Flipper coil.

8.jpg8.jpg

"E" target hard to see but diode is off of one switch blade you can see that a lead came off of the diode itself, Diode was replaced with a new one.
Note switch is held together by two zip ties ugh.

9.jpg9.jpg

WPT flipper coil detached wire.

10.jpg10.jpg

SM upper right flipper Plunger

13.jpg13.jpg

SM POP bumper Yokes both broken

14.jpg14.jpg

SM complete left leading edge of Ramp broken off

15.jpg15.jpg

PZ entire front of rubber tip is gone metal rod end is exposed.

1.jpg1.jpg
#249 9 years ago
Quoted from RichmanBri:

Love this thread! I go to Modern whenever I get a chance to duck out of work a lil early and head over.
Is there a reason for that many machines to have issues so near to each other? Extra busy at the shop or just a bit of coincidence?

The idea that it appears the machines next to each other are the ones that break down is just that an idea. In fact these machines breakdown evenly across the board from the amount of use they get.

On any given day it can appear that its just machines next to each other. On other days it can appear to be machines completely on opposite sides or across the room from each other. Its the glory of randomness!

Glad you like the thread I hope it helps people in some way with their machines.

Thanks for the input.

#251 9 years ago

12/31 New Years Eve

Dr Dude drop target bank

TWD Flipper alignment, Zombie Head switch adjustment

BK Sound issue?

KISS Popbumper Diodes

1-586.jpg1-586.jpg

Note Hole in coil stop

2-43.jpg2-43.jpg

The reason for the bank not to reset.

We didnt have the correct stop at Modern as the correct one has a shorter stop.

This causes the targets not to get raised high enough to clear their lock bar.

To correct this the fingers that raise the targets must be bent slightly up.

Not the best thing to do. The correct stop will be ordered and the fingers will then be flattened again.

#252 9 years ago

1/15

First day of the New Year Modern was packed but the best part?

Only 2 fails.

PZ Slingshot ring

DR Dude flipper pawl.
1-647.jpg1-647.jpg

#253 9 years ago

1/6

BR Magnet failed, Slingshot Bracket

Avengers Opto board connector

WOZ upper right flipper

BSD L drop target.

1.jpg1.jpg

Wire to coil broke on BR the issue wasn't resolved with reattachment will check the Q15 today

2.jpg2.jpg

While working on the magnet issue its a good time to go over everything, tighten fasteners ,connectors and clean the subway.

5.jpg5.jpg

Raising the playfield to see the cause of the non working sling and………..

#255 9 years ago

I should have completed the sentence,........ and this is what I found.

The Slingshot brackets fail very often at Modern, I was hoping it was just a coil wire but noooooooo.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I think the AC/DC there is on the new system and a board in the chain of boards is out and is on back order.

You nailed it.

#261 9 years ago

1/7

WOZ POP Bumper

TZ Right ramp Deflector

1-241.jpg1-241.jpg

2-216.jpg2-216.jpg

Cause of the deflector failure was because the two bracket mounting bolts backed out to the point of being held by a thread each.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I find your thread incredibly informative - every repair you show is an education to me and I just wanted to say "thanks" for dedicating the time to do this.

Thanks for the nice words.

I am not sure however how informative my post are as all they really have shown is what has failed in machines and not really how the failures were addressed or repaired.

If time permits maybe I can include more repair info, that being said, may I suggest signing up for the Pinball Ninja repair blog for really useful info from the master Clay Harell.

#269 9 years ago

1/8

BR Magnet coil still giving troubles new one is on order. Rollover switch.

Kiss spinner switch

WOZ Flipper EOS

FH Flipper coil wire

WH20 Flipper Pawl

1-469.jpg1-469.jpg

Kiss spinner switch didn't activate due to the switch blades being in continuous contact they just needed to be separated.

2-279.jpg2-279.jpg

EOS switch caused flipper to stick due to the long blade being too long and catching the flipper pawl.

A new switch was installed and the blade was cut to the correct size.

#270 9 years ago

1/13

Not a good repair day as two machines were down and parts are needed to get them up and running again.

T2 Right kicker Bracket

FH Right flipper, F 102

BK numerous switches out the machines boards need a complete rework as well as its connectors. Not something that can be done on site at Modern.

1.jpg1.jpg

Right flipper wasn't working so I checked the fuses first and F102 was blown but why?

2.jpg2.jpg

In the bottom of the cabinet not one but two EOS caps were there.

3.jpg3.jpg

Both EOS switches were missing their caps? Not only that look at the wiring mess how did that happen?

7.jpg7.jpg

Notice the Diode orientation on the stock and aftermarket coils. I am assuming that the right flipper coil was installed not only without an EOS cap but with the coil wires reversed. I will wait until the caps arrive before I reinstall the assemblies and hope that the PDB was saved by the fuse.

4.jpg4.jpg

T2 ball wouldn't launch from shooter lane and maybe because the coil was just flopping around?

5.jpg5.jpg

Coil mount was reduced to this because? Note the mushroomed plunger tip which kept the coil sleeve from being removed from the coil. The sleeve was cracked as well.

6.jpg6.jpg

The bracket end had sheared off and none are in stock ugh.

#271 9 years ago

1/14

Not much time for pics as there was too much to get done and it was also a day of BR frustration with the Ball lifter magnet.

ST Auto plunger, Upper Right Flipper

Punchy the clown, Two posts, 2 lamp sockets and filthy.

Gold Strike un-level

BR Ball Lifter magnet day 3 of trying to fix it.

Why didnt the ST flipper work?

1-292.jpg1-292.jpg

Note the coil stop is gone. also note that in the base plate a coil stop screw head sheared off and its shaft is stuck in the the mounting hole. This is very common on Stern machines why I have no idea. I assume its just cheap soft hardware. The screw head snapped off creating a loose coil stop. The coilstop then sheared off the baseplate from fatigue.

This is a new coil that is used for the Ball lifter magnet on BR The photo depicts a quick test of the system that I came up with without having to remove the magnetic core from the coil assembly that is still in the machine. I will go into detail of what was wrong,the frustration and how it was fixed in my next post.

2-303.jpg2-303.jpg

#272 9 years ago

1/15

Didn't have a chance to post until now. Also didn't have a chance to take pics of the BR repair and the frustration that the cause of the failure was due to someone getting into the machine that shouldn't have. Bottom line is that the ball lifter adjuster plate which sets the height of the magnet above the ball (Should be about 1/16 gap) was moved whereby the gap was more than an inch.

Spent most of the time trying to repair FH and the damage caused by improperly wired flipper coils that were also missing their EOS Caps. Rebuilding the flipper assemblies the correct way was moot as the PDB got toasted when the Improperly wired coils were powered up. Didnt have time to continue on the machine as others had to be repaired.

Repaired the T2 plunger mech

With 3 nights of league play on the nights Im working its going to be very hard taking pics but I will do my best please bear with me.

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from Sborel:

Same plunger bracket on my T2 broke on location, had to rob one from home BSD. Could'nt find a used or new one....so I welded bracket, don't know if it will hold up on location. I installed it in BSD.

A properly welded bracket with a long bead replacing a tack and with the edges of the 90 degree bends
filed smooth the bracket should almost outlast the machine.

I knew that I wouldn't have time to re-weld the bracket this week so they went ahead and ordered three more overnight. My re-weld would have been far superior and would have outlasted all three new ones.

#276 9 years ago

1/20/15

FH PDB /Flippers

BSD R Flipper

WOZ POP Bumper????

TSPP Balls come off of wire form ramp.

TSSP Ramp was shifted after someone went into the machine to do some work and wasn't realigned to where it should be causing balls to skip over wire form ramp

Had to repair a burned trace on FH PDB as the flipper coils were wired wrong by someone causing F102 and a trace to blow.

The flipper assemblies were even missing their EOS switch caps!!!!!!!

WOZ player complains that there is stuff blocking a ball?

Turns out that a POP bumper rod must have broken over the weekend and the fix?

Someone used a piece of foam taped to the top of the POP bumper using painters tape. I suppose the
idea was to cover the top of the exposed pop body to block a possible ball trap!!!!!!!!!! The tape gave way of course and this is what was on the playfield.

5.jpg5.jpg

Note the coil orientation on BSD flipper coils! How did that happen? However this wasnt the cause of the weak right flipper.

2-508.jpg2-508.jpg

I think Im going to loose all of my hair soon. Three repairs because of three Unbelievable "repairs" by someone at Modern

#281 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Do you ever tell the owners about this stuff? Seems like the other guy or guys shouldn't be working there.

I tell them all the time, including last night, but it falls on deaf ears besides that they say that they cannot find any other techs to replace the other tech as there are none.

Another issue is that the owners themselves try to work on machines when Im not there and are culprits too in the hacks /damage done.

#283 9 years ago

1/21

BSD front leg adjusters

Transformers Plastic

WCS LEDs and lamp board.

AF Switch actuator

FG upper playfield no power ( Two large connectors were disconnected?)

TZ Switch actuator.

BR Flipper Button

#284 9 years ago

1/22

No Machine fails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However there was an issue with a kids B-Day party as the kids and their parents left the place in a terrible state. Garbage everywhere, Cake all over the floor and walls, Table clothes ripped and smeared with cake. Pizza, face down on machines and chairs. MMs,chips and soda everywhere on chairs and the floor and the parents snuck in two bottles of wine and chugged them down after being told no Alcohol on the phone before arriving.

All the moms looked like models from one of the House wives shows, None paying any attention to their kids that were wrestling on the floor ,running around banging on machines. The cars coming to pic the kids up were all Range Rovers,Caddies, Hummers, Stretch Limos well you get the picture.

There were 32 boys all around 9 and 10 not 5 and 6.

We have parties all the time at Modern including themed Birthday Parties and I have never seen anything like this. Some people are just slobs and don't care.

We gave them use of the party room for free as this party was the low end of the parties we have and we were trying to be nice as this was last minute from the parents.

Below are examples of Themed B-Day parties that can be had at Modern designed and Hosted by my wife. All themes are chosen by clients.

Star Wars
10868220_10204074406794688_6003486423989696809_n.jpg10868220_10204074406794688_6003486423989696809_n.jpg
10440262_10204074407314701_5993099871546797321_n.jpg10440262_10204074407314701_5993099871546797321_n.jpg
10445961_10204074407914716_6197899593507502740_n.jpg10445961_10204074407914716_6197899593507502740_n.jpg
1511055_10204074410234774_6643518024960630424_n.jpg1511055_10204074410234774_6643518024960630424_n.jpg

Death Star Pinata
10325565_10204074414234874_4254060462364022182_n.jpg10325565_10204074414234874_4254060462364022182_n.jpg
10882275_10204074412114821_373560271266243533_n.jpg10882275_10204074412114821_373560271266243533_n.jpg

Halloween B-Day
1506950_10203688861636300_285966435879034307_n.jpg1506950_10203688861636300_285966435879034307_n.jpg
9748_10203688862236315_6669254727222845504_n.jpg9748_10203688862236315_6669254727222845504_n.jpg
10710974_10203688863796354_3097493725173168106_n.jpg10710974_10203688863796354_3097493725173168106_n.jpg
1385373_10203688864156363_7378448868101438841_n.jpg1385373_10203688864156363_7378448868101438841_n.jpg

MineCraft B-Day
10846458_10204027932672864_490612096678996801_n.jpg10846458_10204027932672864_490612096678996801_n.jpg
10391442_10204027931392832_6580180616250304092_n.jpg10391442_10204027931392832_6580180616250304092_n.jpg
10450867_10204027931872844_5070629466171382983_n.jpg10450867_10204027931872844_5070629466171382983_n.jpg
10409237_10204027932472859_4809895243481352068_n.jpg10409237_10204027932472859_4809895243481352068_n.jpg

10632864_10204027932192852_7808003749375553437_n.jpg10632864_10204027932192852_7808003749375553437_n.jpg
#292 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this question, but will Modern be getting Wrestlemania? If so, any time frame?
As a Star Wars geek since the age of 4, that Star Wars party theme looks awesome.

I will try to get an answer for you by tomorrow.

1/27

The Blizzard failed which is a great thing.

My Camera batteries failed which is not a great thing!

Avatar LE….. 9 flashers burned out (all original) and never replaced, Fuse Blown unrelated.

Kiss 2 Pop Bumpers due to wire off of coil lug and bracket screws loose. 2 lights due to lamp sockets

Party Zone 2 Pop bumpers due to switches out of adjustment.

BSD Right Flipper weak due to Pawl with too much play

AF 2 switch actuators out of adjustment

BR 4 flasher out board related.

#293 9 years ago

1/28

FH 3 switch wires, One bad Diode

BR Ball cycling between Popbumper and a side rubber consistently

TOM Dirty sticking shooter lane plunger rod

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#295 9 years ago
Quoted from RichmanBri:

I think this is as good a spot as any. I also am curious if Modern will have the game, I am really interested with how the game is gonna play.

The answer to the question is yes they will be getting one but not sure when.

#298 9 years ago

1/29

FH Rudy Mouth ball ejector... Coil wire off. Some solenoids out …Fuse glass where it meets its metal cap disintegrated.
Odd game behavior resets and scoring and mode startup issues. Only had the time to take voltage readings which all were at spec, Connectors all tight too. Wont have a chance to look further until next Tues but the other tech will have 4 days to solve the issue.

Gold Strike some lamp sockets and weak flippers…… Flipper button switches were out of adjustment.

FT and BK were removed from Modern

#300 9 years ago

They will be replaced by machines that are being shopped by Doug Huse of Lets play Pinball.

#301 9 years ago

1/3

Kiss Two POP bumpers and two standup target switches out of adjustment

Mustang 3rd GI light board has failed.

BSD skill shot not registering.

FH When I arrived the machine was off and for good reason the PDB was missing. I found it In the back room on a table. I installed it in the machine and found numerous switches out of adjustment.

Now I have to figure out what is wrong as on startup for player one on ball one only, it starts in super dog mode? Now if you restart a game during a game it starts player one ball one normally.

Optos test fine as do voltages, super dog switches and diodes. Only on player one at startup does this happen and sometimes this can happen to player 2,or 4 in a multi ball game but not on the first ball.

Anytime reaching the 10 mil mark the game resets which is another really odd thing.

All of this is still the result of the mis-wired flipper coil.

On a side note one of the owners Steve Zahler has begun working with NYC schools on a special learning program about pinball and the science related to it here at Modern.

Classes are brought to Modern where Steve goes over Pinball machines and what makes them work.
I think its a great idea and should be expanded to other cities and states.

more info here http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/education/

Posted are a few pics of a table he through together last night with some random parts that he will discuss in this mornings class.

1-724.jpg1-724.jpg
2-115.jpg2-115.jpg
3-146.jpg3-146.jpg
4-452.jpg4-452.jpg
5-61.jpg5-61.jpg

#304 9 years ago

2/4

WH20 Left Flipper link worn.

FG slingshot post broke off in T Nut.

WPT 2 Drop target assemblies. Assembly 1 coil sleeve and dirt froze it up. Assembly 2 coil wire off of lug.

#305 9 years ago

2/5

I failed to report what failed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a small window to take a look at the FH PDB but kept getting interrupted by down machines that were being used in the league.

It was one of those nights that there was something failing like clockwork every 5 mins so I literally forgot since I had last posted 3 days ago what I had done as there was so much.

Needless to say the PDB didnt get fixed, as all I had a chance to do was to reflow certain questionable components and connectors. The regulators did test fine however.

I do know that there was a trace blown or component hole that was torn somewhere that I just didnt have time to find.

#306 9 years ago

2/10

WH20 Left Flipper mech, Ball popper, TIP 36 and 102 transistors

Notice the coil that someone installed in the mech. The machine actually played awhile before the transistors blew. Can you guess why it caused the transistors to blow?
1.jpg1.jpg

The ball popper cup also had two broken tangs. this will cause the ball not to shoot straight up.
2.jpg2.jpg

2/11

DM VUK , Both Flipper plunger assemblies.

VUK didnt work as the opto switch wasnt registering in test mode.

Pulled the optos to test both transmitter and receiver.

Here you can see the emitter working through the camera

3.jpg3.jpg

The voltage change on the receiver also checked out as fine. Soooo I checked all of the other playfield optos in switch test and they too were out soooo I checked the switch matrix column with said optos and tested the non opto switches and...

yes the first non opto target I tested a stand up target was out sooooo I checked the daisey chained double wire lug on it and pop a wire just separated as it must have come off but not let go.

Here is the culprit right after it let go and note the switch corrosion which contributed to the wire connection failure,
4.jpg4.jpg

TZ numerous switch registers

FH Diverter

FG Lamp ballast.

#308 9 years ago

2/11

VND 2 different ramp switches

With only a few minutes before League and Super League and a school class begins this is one of the hard to get to switches that needed replacing.

1-587.jpg1-587.jpg

Avengers Left Flipper due to the standard problem with Stern Transistor shorting on.

Here I had just removed the transistor and caps no time for more pics. I would have liked to have cleaned the board of old flux but we are not set up for that and the time factor.

2-110.jpg2-110.jpg

DM Opto switch.

FH Diverter from yesterday not working was due to the plunger coming off of the diverter because the hex screw backed out of the collet.

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Any time frame on when Wrestlemania will be coming in?

Not yet

#312 9 years ago

12/17

AC /DC Both Flippers

Here the plunger link broke
1.jpg1.jpg

Here the coil stop sheared.

2.jpg2.jpg

DM... R Flipper sticking due to EOS switch being worn and catching the pawl EOS needed to be replaced.

BZ- Left Pop Bumper switch came loose from playfield. Ball guide worked its way loose.

Wh20 Extra ball switch due to wires off of lug

3.jpg3.jpg

Whirlpool switch failed internally needed to be replaced.

XENON Yes XENON the same machine that was being left in the city has been left at Modern which I believe now owns it. I understand the owners need to unload it. Both Flipper assemblies are shot. Right Flipper flutters either hold winding shot or diodes are bad I was just trying to sort it out when called to League machines.

Both Flipper brackets have stripped screw holes.
1-833.jpg1-833.jpg

Many lights not working don't know the cause. Bulbs.Sockets or board transistors. haven't had a chance to really go over the machine but I have a feeling I will find a lot of issues.

#314 9 years ago

12/18

FG ball trough switches and shooter lane switch out . The cause was the right return lane switch had a broken daisy chained ground wire hidden under its insulation sleeve This was a tough one to diagnose especially with the noise a weak flashlight and the amount of league players and off of school kids banging into you the entire time while trying to work on it LOL

PZ F115 blows I do not know the state the machine was in when this occurred but the machine was down with that message left to me.

Sure enough replaced the fuse powered up the machine and a real slow burning red glow of the fuse filament like an old lamp until it died and nothing else on the machine came up either?

Replaced u20 (without a socket as Modern doesn't have any) powered up the machine an whoa all sorts of nothing. No GI and no display but the boot tone does come on. thats as far as I had a chance to evaluate and hopefully will have time tonight to look into it more. As a side note the wire harness is one complete spaghetti hack maybe ill take pics if I get a chance. Whoever installed the new connecters before the machine arrived here... well let me leave it at that.

#315 9 years ago

12/19

AC/DC Ball trough optos due to the central green wire being disconnected from its connector but not completely so it appeared to be fine. A light pull and out it came.

Here after it was reinserted.
1-827.jpg1-827.jpg

FG Right Flipper due to many things

Here the Link to Pawl bolt snapped its head off
2-792.jpg2-792.jpg

To repair this the base plate had to come off and it was found that the coil stop screw holes were stripped so the bolts holding the coil stop on were held with locknuts ugh.
3-539.jpg3-539.jpg

To make matters worse the flipper bushing had sheared off on the playfield end. Without replacement parts I had to dig through an assortment of used pawls and links to rebuild the mech we did have a new baseplate that had to have everything new installed on it.
4-517.jpg4-517.jpg

To give an idea of the amount of play these machines get I just cleaned this machine LAST NIGHT and this was the state of all four that were cleaned LAST NIGHT.

Note the ball trail and haze of filth along each side
5-751.jpg5-751.jpg
6-328.jpg6-328.jpg

Look at Stewies face and the rest of the area all filthy
7-522.jpg7-522.jpg

Here on the right I just started cleaning again so you can see how dirty the machine got in one night of use.
10-247.jpg10-247.jpg

TSPP ramp switch due to wire form gate being stuck up
11-390.jpg11-390.jpg

Gate was stuck because mounting bracket got bent in towards it
12-921.jpg12-921.jpg

Again Machine was cleaned last night.
13-929.jpg13-929.jpg

CSI Scoop Switch due to broken actuator. Because of horrible design getting to this switch is a nightmare even thou you can see it in the clear but look how the mounting screws are. Note the heads face towards all of the wiring and assemblies Duh.
14-381.jpg14-381.jpg

To access them the simple solution would be to remove the scoop assembly no big deal right? Wrong to do this you would have to remove the upper playfield ramp and two sets of plastics first which cover the ramp mounting screws. NUTs I say.

The other way to get to this switch is to remove the drop down target assembly by first loosening the three lamp sockets which get in the way of doing so.
16-990.jpg16-990.jpg

Now you can have access to the screw heads after removing the insert socket as well . Here you can finally see the screw heads and note they are different someone got there paws in here at one time.
17-481.jpg17-481.jpg

Here you can see the insert lamp socket that had to come out to it dropped between the two 44 sockets in the pic.
18-363.jpg18-363.jpg

Now with micro surgeon precision you can maneuver between all of the wires and reach in to get to the screw heads. Finally the switch is removed which could have been done in seconds had it been mounted from the other side. Like I said bad design.
Here is the new and old switch
19-466.jpg19-466.jpg

Didn't get time to go over PZ but here are pics of the state of the wire harness

Can someone say GI Short?
21-694.jpg21-694.jpg

Most connectors were changed out with new IDC at one time without lockout pins and with horrible markings that didn't match up and a lot of the connectors are also broken.
22-86.jpg22-86.jpg

Duct tape was used to mark many connectors needless to say gooey glue is all over the harness its a real sticky mess.
23-44.jpg23-44.jpg

Did a bomb go off in here? Note some connectors just floating around for fun

20-587.jpg20-587.jpg

#316 9 years ago

2/24

Metallica………. Shooter Lane switch activator wire.
1-50.jpg1-50.jpg

Metallica……...Lane Diverter Coil lug broke off

2-858.jpg2-858.jpg

ST... Upper Flipper Stuck Due to the combination of Link/Pawl bolt too tight and dirt.
3-887.jpg3-887.jpg

ST ...Sling shot coils loose due to coil mounting brackets too far back on assemblies
4.jpg4.jpg

My camera due to batteries going dead

Punchy the Clown………. Sling Shot rubber ring broke

BSD……….. Both flippers weak due to both EOS switches completely out of adjustment and the flipper coil stop being angled away from the coil due to a Stern coil spring being installed?

Xenon……………... blowing Fuse F4

#317 9 years ago

2/25

GS On startup machine scored 10pts and took away players first ball IE started the game on ball 4.

This was due to the slingshot switch remaining closed from being out of adjustment.

4.jpg4.jpg

No inserts? No Problem

3.jpg3.jpg

Can you see how one was "Fixed"?

1.jpg1.jpg

Maybe now? Mylar over the hole thats how you do it. UGH
2.jpg2.jpg

Ball wasn't kicking out of trough very hard. Due to grease hardening and an old brass coil sleeve filled with old grease and dirt jamming the kicker assembly.

Here the brass sleeve is about to be replaced with new nylon.

5.jpg5.jpg

Assembly about to be removed for real cleaning and straightening as it has been peened over throughout its life. In this pic it was given a super filial alcohol cleaning but its not good enough.
6.jpg6.jpg

BR…. two flippers

Xenon right flipper due to EOS switch adjustment ? Not sure yet.

A Poll has been added to this thread.

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Eddie - Sounds like you're having a crisis of confidence with this thread (and your poll). !

Not at all. Its more like it takes a lot of extra work to do this while working at Modern especially the pics and if no one is gaining from the thread or the thread isn't viewed I can make my life at Modern that much easier LOL.

#328 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Eddie...
As ex-operator, I am interested in coin / failure rate on pins, or something like that.
Any "data" ?
BTW...this thread is GREAT !

Cant help you there as all machines at Modern are on free play!

#336 9 years ago

2/26

Pinsiders have spoken so the thread remains. Thanks for the extra work!!!!!!

Kiss..... Top POP due to switch blades making continuous contact.
1.jpg1.jpg

Two POP bumper lights Due to each coming loose in their lamp socket.

BR...... Both right side Flippers not working. First thing checked was the fuse at F5 and sure enough it was blown and replaced then came the big failure!
3.jpg3.jpg

While swiveling the upper playfield back up it would not budge at the half way point. It was all out of whack and why????

The Right side pivot Tube had backed off of the Head Bolt completely and got wedged underneath the bolt within the upper playfield slot. ( There is an L shaped slot/channel in the upper playfield that the pivot tube slides in to enable the upper playfield to be raised and lowered.) This locked the upper playfield in a half way up position. What a nightmare. With the pivot tube stuck under the bolt the upper playfield couldnt be removed to fix the issue.
Pivot slot.jpgPivot slot.jpg

The fix was to remove the bolt then, use a magnet to get the pivot out of the playfield slot not an easy task as it had been wedged. Now the playfield could be slid off of the Left side pivot and removed.
Here you can see the bolt that holds the pivot tube and the damage along the inner back box caused by the misaligned wedged playfield.
2.jpg2.jpg

After dealing with that nonsense the flippers were tested and they worked again only the lower right was fluttering. Due to power wires coming off of the coil lug. After a resolder the flipper worked but was weak and that was due to the EOS switch having had its contacts worn completely through in the pic you might be able to make out that the larger contact was worn in half. This is what also lead to the F5 fuse blowing to begin with.
3.jpg3.jpg

T2 Drop target not working Due to coil sleeve loosing its rim/lip/skirt/flange which ever you choose to call it. I call it flange.
crazy.jpgcrazy.jpg
15.jpg15.jpg

Both Flippers sticking up due to link and pawl wear.

CSI Centrifuge post not working due to Opto connector coming loose.

#339 9 years ago

3/3

Forgot to take camera!!!!!! Ugh

ST Once again the most hard to get to Transceiver burned out. This is the third one already so taking everything off to get to it is almost second nature. I wanted the camera to take a pic of where I want to drill a hole in a plastic for easier access to a screw which mounts the Vengence ship base.

POP bumper Ring

Center drop target lifter plate is about to wear through.

BR…….. EOS switch

Two stand up targets worked loose and a pop bumper coil bracket.

Avengers……. Flipper link broke at plunger.

Xenon…... Left flipper occasionally stays up due to old coil installed back into assembly.

AC/DC…….. burned drop target coil due to transistor shorting on.

Kiss……... Lamp transistor blown.

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

You should be beta-testing for stern

I had discussed that possibility with George Gomez when he made a vista to Modern and he seemed open to the idea also saying that he was aware of my thread and it was followed at Stern for that exact reason. ( finding out what was breaking) Nothing has come of it as of yet.

3/4

AC/DC had a transistor replaced after one shorted but its not surprising as it must have been replaced once in the past as the hack work was horrendous. Here you can see the board after I removed the transistor and the shape the pads were in before the removal!

1.jpg1.jpg

Here is the back of the board.
2.jpg2.jpg

Here are two other transistors (Flipper) that were replaced at one time in the past look at the hack job!

3.jpg3.jpg

Xenon Left flipper issue was addressed and was caused by installing an old bad coil back int the machine.

Can you tell at least one thing that is wrong with the way both assemblies were installed? This is the right side.

4.jpg4.jpg

Here the new left flipper coil has been installed and soon to be wired up. One thing of note that was just brought up on another thread is the location of the coil spring washer. On this one the washer is against the coil holding bracket and the coil stop sits nice and flush with the coil.

6.jpg6.jpg

On the right side flipper note the gap between the coil stop and coil and the angle that the stop sits at due to the washer being mounted on the stop side. It may be hard to see perfectly in the pics as my camera really sucks.

5.jpg5.jpg

7.jpg7.jpg

WCS ..Was asked to see why a center rollover stopped working or lighting. Well why wouldn't it work? Someone hot glued the entire assembly together along with the switch blades and left the lamp socket hanging to boot! Welcome to my world.

8.jpg8.jpg

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

This confuses me, and maybe it's just the wording, but if someone asked whjy the center rollover 'stopped working', that indicates that it WAS working at some point, yes?
So that would indicate that someone there at Modern did the hot-glue .. uhm, 'fix'? Why wouldn't you have heard about it before now?

I am only there tue-wed-thrs eve from 5 until 9:30- 10. I was there Sat as well because my wife decorates the Themed B-day parties for Modern and on Sat the switch was working. So you deduced the obvious as to what goes on at Modern. Something I have been pulling my hair out over in this thread.

#351 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The coil was mounted backwards, with the wires on the same side as the coil stop instead of the opposite side of the coil stop (i.e., makes solder joints more susceptible to breakage due to coil stop vibration)?

So the lesson here is the coil spring washer should always be on the opposite side of the coil stop?

Correct and Yes!

3/5

What failed today???? Nothing failing thats what! With standard League play and a Corporate Party for Twitter with 40 persons attending nothing failed.

How can this be?

Same machines as always, same amount of play. Something fishy is going on.

Maybe I just dreamt it?

Its not April 1st.

Did the Gremlins take the night off?

Does this mean that all of the Machines will fail tomorrow?

This is a day that should go down in the annals of Pinball records. Walter Day are you listening?

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd just like to know who down-voted continuing this thread...

It's probably just because the other tech didn't come in before Eddie!

The other Tech does not work on the days that I work they are his days off.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Same here.

#358 9 years ago

3/10

WH20…. R Flipper stuck up

2.jpg2.jpg

Cause was the bolt falling out of link. This is a very common occurrence at Modern. Usually caused by the pawl cutting through the link bolt, more often then a locknut backing out.

3.jpg3.jpg

As this backing out took some time, wear was induced in the pawl.

4.jpg4.jpg

Here an upclose of the deformed hole and metal shavings.

5.jpg5.jpg

TWD.. Prison Doors not opening consistently due to dirt in hinges and an over heating coil.

Zombie head …. Not being activated regularly due to switch blade gap too large.

Here the gap can be seen and should be adjusted a hairs distance apart but not too close for false activations. The switch is just an standup target mounted below.

1.jpg1.jpg

Metttalica ….Right loop switch. Due to activator being bent. This is very common on the Stern switches of this type. I could get a good pic but if the wire form that is soldered to the actuator arm
separates from the tip of the arm due to bending (EVEN THE SLIGHEST BIT) the switch button will not be depressed by the arm. The wire form MUST sit flush on the switch actuator arm. As I have said this is very common on these type of Stern Switches and are the reason for lots of switch failures.

Here is a pic of the switch but the gap is hidden by the switch mount plastic.

6.jpg6.jpg

TOM …Both Flippers out of adjustment.

#359 9 years ago

3/11

SM …….. The Sand Man got sand bagged

1.jpg1.jpg

The pins from which he is mounted can no longer hold him as the holes in his back became enlarged from vibrations,hits etc,

2.jpg2.jpg

Right Front slingshot mounting T Nut..

Note the odd piece of metal on the slingshot machine screw tip.
3.jpg3.jpg

The T nut body sheared off of its base
4.jpg4.jpg

Here is a good T Nut for comparison
5.jpg5.jpg

Because the T nut was broken the slingshot was flopping around.

BSD ….Balls wouldnt lock in Castle lock due to a missing ball. There were only 3 balls in the machine?

FG……. Ball stuck between R slingshot and inline guide due to inline guide working loose and shifting closer towards slingshot.

#362 9 years ago

3/12

Xenon… Right flipper shaft worked loose in pawl.

That was it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from _litz:

Egads ... of all the things I've ever seen broken on a game, I don't think I've ever, once, seen a broken t-nut.

If something can be broken on a Pin it will be at Modern Pinball NYC. The ultimate Pinball proving ground.

#364 9 years ago

3/17

St Patrick must have sent the Snakes to Modern as there were consistent breakdowns too many to take any pics. Most were small (No soldering involved)

WOZ …R Castle Door , Right Flipper bushing.

DM Both Flippers worn

TZ Right Ramp Deflector stopping.

FG Insert Light string.

AF POP bumper switch, Rear left ramp switch

Xenon insert lamps

FH insert lamps,

TOM Trunk, Ball lane guide

Numerous stuck balls at least 7 that I counted there were more.

There were also other issues I just can't remember.

#367 9 years ago

3/18

Breakdowns back to normal no time for pics.

TZ…... Proximity sensor

Xenon……. false Tilts

Wh20…... Broken Ramp wire gate and its related switch

VND….. Ramp switch and its harness, Trough switch.

TWD….DMD display out, Slingshot rubber

AF ……Ramp switch

Numerous stuck balls

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

beelzeboob said:
Eddie said:
Same here.
Eddie....was it you...???....were you trying to light'n the load a little.... .....lol..jk bud....hope to make it over there soon...............Joey

It wasn't me. Maybe the other tech???

#372 9 years ago

3/19

VND... R Lock switch. Here another example of poor design with repair access in mind.
In order to remove the bad switch and in this case its wire harness as well,you must remove not one but two assemblies.
1.jpg1.jpg

First the jumping fox assembly must be removed as it blocks access to one mounting screw on the VUK
assembly.
2.jpg2.jpg

Here with the "Fox" assembly removed you can see the blocked VUK screw.

3.jpg3.jpg

Of course there are two locknuts that must be removed and with limited tools at Modern access was almost denied as you can see here.

4.jpg4.jpg

How to remove this nut?
5.jpg5.jpg

On the fly tool rigging. The proper socket matched with a flathead screwdriver with a wide enough blade to grip it. Cheesy but it worked. Note the two large Washer/Spacers between the playfield and the VUK Bracket on the upper left where two mounting screws were removed. The lower is another example of dumb design as it is so large that it impedes the switch blade from fully compressing as the left tang of the actuator fork actually catches it. The solution was to file a flat on that washer for the actuator to clear it. I should have taken a pic topside so you could understand the situation better. This is the same for the Left side Saucer hole. Why did they need such large washer/Spacers?
6.jpg6.jpg

Finally access to the old worn switch. Once again if the switch mounting screws came in from the reverse side there would be access to them.
7.jpg7.jpg

Old switch on right. Note the heat shrink on the Ground nice touch from the factory. Now Stern uses clear non shrink tubing. Yes VND is DE but Stern is the same. Note Stern still uses the same Dumb VUK with mounted switch design. Its the same that caused so much trouble on CSI in an earlier post.
Another point is that these switches plain suck as the actuator is held with two tiny tabs that allow for severe horizontal play. Where did that engineer go to school?
8.jpg8.jpg

Ready to mount diode on switch
10.jpg10.jpg

New Diode attached but No supplies for cleaning off flux and not likely to change. The Small two wire harness was also compromised as the wiring was broken within the insulation on both so I had to make a new one. No time for pics.
11.jpg11.jpg

AC/DC... Fuse blown and no replacement in stock, Ball trough switch wire detached and was the probable cause of the blown fuse.
12.jpg12.jpg

TZ... Right Flipper, Once again proximity sensor and maybe if players would stop lifting and dropping machines this sensor wouldn't get jolted out of position or have its components come loose.

ST…. Drop target

TOM... Plunger

#373 9 years ago

3/24

No time for pics

ST….. Pop bumper metal Yoke

BR….. POP bumper fibre Yoke

AC/DC…. POP Bumper Metal and Fibre Yoke, return spring, Ring and POP Switch.

Avengers…... THOR Target assembly.

Gold Strike……. Small upper flipper rubber

VND CPU 5 resistors burned up and one Transistor won't be able to get to it until later tonight.

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This thread kicks ass.
I have to admit, that on half of them I don't see anything wrong.

Very understandable. Had I more time I would use photoshop or some other app to add red arrows to the areas in the subject matter. Its very easy not to see in pics what I try to show.

#376 9 years ago

3/25

Tried to have a look at the VND Board and the damage. Got to the point that I am awaiting for a transistor a socket and a chip.

This is not an easy task at all at Modern no tools for the job and very poor lighting. Every tool has to be brought out and set up first as there is no workshop. The party room has to be converted each time you need to work on something then it has to be returned to a party room. So set up, fix a board with no tools tear down clean up and hurry up as there is a league machine that has a whatever and the league starts in an hour….

Nothing to clean the board with.

No flux remover, no 90% or better alcohol, poor soldering station, No fibre glass pens, No sand paper of any grit.

Need to make a jumper as a trace was lifted, No wire wrap wire for the jumper, Nothing to seal the exposed traces on and on,,,, "Is VND fixed yet?" "We need the machine for the League"

In the pics I did use 70% alcohol thats what they have and a Qtip to at least wipe the soot away this was before the pics were taken.

1.jpg1.jpg

Here two resistors cooked and the traces under them need to be checked.

2.jpg2.jpg

Q6 nothing but legs!!!!!!!
3.jpg3.jpg

Resistors removed with nothing to clean the board.
4.jpg4.jpg

Resistors and Q6 legs removed time to check pad and trace continuity.
5.jpg5.jpg

Exposed trace from R240 is still good not so for Trace from R238 it was burned through and you can see a remaining piece has lifted and curled over.
6.jpg6.jpg

This led me to remove U203 as I couldn't see if any trace damage continued beneath it. Not only that without a chip tester I chose to play it safe and will replace it with a new one in a socket.
7.jpg7.jpg

Just another close up of the damage
8.jpg8.jpg

What caused this? Could have been a number of things. I wasn't at Modern when it happened although this area of the board relates to the playfield switches so HMMMMMM?

Did I bitch a lot on this post ? Yes I did thats another fail.

#378 9 years ago

3/26

Metallica... shooter lane switch. Switch had to be replaced however the connecting wires were too tight and had to be released from the wire harness from the shooter lane to 3/4 back of the playfield in order to get enough slack, about an inch and a half of play, so that they would not pull off of the switch lugs.

Can you see the issue?

1.jpg1.jpg

DM….. Stand up target switch due to wire being pulled off of lug no slack at all.
2.jpg2.jpg

Left bottom flipper EOS switch due to wire coming off of lug again due to no wire slack. I had to add an extension wire.

3.jpg3.jpg

No pics but a wire came out of connector J112 on pdb rendering the upper GI out and some opto switches. Took awhile to see that the wire was just barely backed out of the IDC connector.

#379 9 years ago

3/31

BSD many switches out including the outhole. This repair took a bit of time as two wires were off of lugs and both were buried not only that one switch was internally bad which also made things
confusing.

Didn't get the camera out until after I repaired the first wire which was on the middle of the left side stand up target lug if you are familiar with BSD it means removing the lower subway to not only see the lug clearly but to access it.

Here is the 2nd wire from the right side stand up targets and it too was fairly hidden. I moved the harness out of the way to take the pic.
wire.jpgwire.jpg

TOM…. Right flipper, a typical scenario with machines at Modern. Usually due to a pawl being worn but more often then not its the pawl link bolt that has backed out or broken. This was not the case.
R flipper.jpgR flipper.jpg

Upon lifting the playfield I was greeted with this at the bottom of the cabinet.

3.jpg3.jpg

Both coil stop screws had sheared off and the coil and its stop fell out of the assembly.
4.jpg4.jpg

Of course once you find something like that you must check the other flipper assembly if it happens to one it can happen to the other and sure enough. This is true with any assembly.

Only one on the left side has sheared off.
5.jpg5.jpg

Both base plates had to be replaced as the bolt parts were frozen in them due to rust and vibration.
Some times the plates can be salvaged by drilling out the bolts in this case it was not to be.

#380 9 years ago

4/1

AC/DC…. Bell opto due to opto interruptor striking it and causing broken solder joints.

Here is another example of poor design as the bell has horizontal play along its axle this allows for the interrupter to strike the opto. There is only so much bending of the interrupter that can be done to keep it within the opto transmitter and receiver with out striking either. I may take up some of the horizontal slack with a washer but it shouldn't be required.

Here you can see the issue
opto.jpgopto.jpg

The lower playfield Kickout due to a stand up target sticker coming off and sliding into the kicker area blocking the switch. No Pics but the lower playfield had to be dropped to clear the errant sticker.

Kiss…. Right flipper assembly had its coil toasted and Eos switch broken most likely the cause of the toasted coil.

#381 9 years ago

4/2

look at prior post for 4/1 as I just posted it.

Steve Marsh joins the Pinball Glass Diamond club while removing the glass from Mustang to clear a stuck ball. Glass was in hands held vertically being lowered to the floor and without striking or touching anything It was raining Diamonds. Hope it never happens to me!

Glass.jpgGlass.jpg

BR... Left flipper

Right f3.jpgRight f3.jpg

Lifted the playfield and…….

BR Right flipper.jpgBR Right flipper.jpg

Note in the pic there is no flipper return spring where did it go? Looked for 20 mins easily and it was not to be found. Hope it doesn't short anything out.

Of course all of this must be cleaned up before the rebuild.
Filthy assembly.jpgFilthy assembly.jpg

Once you see this amount of soot on a playfield part you know its worn.
I could have just installed a new plunger link assembly but I knew that the pawl was worn out .
Sure enough after removing the bolt and remaining link part you could see the elongation of the bolt hole.
No pic but new assembly all around just as I thought I would need from seeing from the soot. encrusted pawl.
soot.jpgsoot.jpg

Plunger assembly has seen more play in a day then any 10 location machines in a week.
Plunger.jpgPlunger.jpg

Often a broken Plunger Link assembly causes a blown fuse and sure enough F6 was Blown.
f6.jpgf6.jpg

I finally had a chance to finish the board repair on VND I am real happy even with the poor results (Not cleaned properly, some burn carbon left etc) as Modern is just not setup for board work as I alluded to in an earlier post. This repair was no easy feat.
9.jpg9.jpg
10.jpg10.jpg

This repair however may not be the end all as there are maybe other components damaged that weren't visible. There are no testing tools at Modern other then a DMM. I don't know what led to the damage in the first place or the "Cause" of the issue. This repair of known damaged components and traces was only the first step and hopefully nothing more will be required.

#382 9 years ago

4/7

PZ……... Bottom and middle POP Bumper switches out of adjustment.

FH……. Balls getting stuck in subway!

Lifted the playfield and what the hell is that?

SW 1.jpgSW 1.jpg

Is that what I think it is? Look how dirty the subway is it must be cleaned.
sw 2.jpgsw 2.jpg

It is what I think it is!!!
sw 3.jpgsw 3.jpg

Goes to show the amount of play these machines get. We need protectors for our protectors!!!!!!!
Cliffy.jpgCliffy.jpg

Not a good thing.
FH.jpgFH.jpg

AF… I was told upon arrival to Modern that a coil burned smoking up the machine.

Found the eject assembly dangling in the harness it must have been removed from the playfield by the other tech when the issue happened.

I cut the coil wires from the assembly to remove it from the machine for inspection.

Here is the freed assembly all filthy. The plunger is frozen due to the coil bobbin distortion from over heating.

coil.jpgcoil.jpg

Here the coils' wires have been freed from the harness as they were zip tied to tight which didn't allow for any slack. They were way too short and only had about an inch plus to work with. Note the dirt on my fingers the harness is a filthy mess and must be cleaned.
wires.jpgwires.jpg

What has happened to the harness while at Modern? Its an insane mess
7.harness.jpg7.harness.jpg

We didn't have the new coil in stock but in the meantime I cleaned and polished the assembly parts.
How many techs do this in the field?
9.jpg9.jpg

WPT... Plunger tip wore through. Had the camera nearby so I took the pic LOL
10.jpg10.jpg

#383 9 years ago

4/8

FH Rudy's Jaw arm broke

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

New one installed
3.jpg3.jpg

The culprit
4.jpg4.jpg

Mustang…... Left flipper out why?

5.jpg5.jpg

Banzai Run left Flipper coil shorted.

7.jpg7.jpg

WOZ right flipper Coil Diode

#389 9 years ago

4/9

Just getting the chance to post about Thursday at Modern as I have been swamped with work so thats a fail.

I see there has been some interesting activity on this thread.

Thank you LAW for the insightful and nice words.

Thurs was hectic at Modern with a group of 60, plus the super league players, plus the walk ins.

Many machines were down and 3 "Super League machines"

I start at 5pm the league starts at 7 so I have two hrs to get numerous machines up and running.

I try to make judgment calls as to what can be fixed in the allotted time and with what supplies we may have on hand. This is done assuming that prior machine work was done correctly and the fix should be relatively straight forward. At Modern this seems never to be the case.

This was the situation with 3 of the machines last Thursday so the repairs took close to 3x the time for each fix.

I take pride in my work and probably shouldn't but will explain about FLRs remarks about two machines he mentioned.

Punchy the Clown had a drop target bank not resetting and it was a League Machine.

The cause was not certain but was most likely due to the bank assembly being corroded along with the drop target switches. New Switches for Punchy are not at Modern. All that I would be able to do was to take as much of the assembly apart as I could and clean it as best I could with out any time and without the correct supplies or tools for the task. I managed to get the bank to reset again but want sure it was really repaired but made working.
I assume that the bank failed again later on in the eve after I left as it was still working while I was there.

AF had a burned out coil so when it arrived via UPS on Thurs around 5pm I thought no problem It shouldn't take too long to install. After installing the coil the initial problem that caused it to burn was still there.This was something I hadn't considered as the coil failure happened under the other techs watch and I was left with the message about the coil being burned.
The coil was locked on, on power up. A quick TIP 102 test showed that indeed it was shorted.
So now the board had to be removed among a huge crowd of people playing machines on either side and 4 other machines down with The League about to start. I replaced the T102 and on power up all appeared good no locked on coil. The coil locked back on just a few cycles of power up later leading me to believe that it might also be that the pre driver transistor was blown too which we don't have at Modern. The pre driver may or may not be the actual cause but with no time and no proper diagnostic tools its the best guess for the situation. So with time running out and no transistor AF remained not working.

WPT L flipper down due to broken plunger. Again should be a straight forward repair however… Turned out that a Williams plunger was installed and not only that it was an upside down right side pawl mech. No left side pawls in stock at Modern, all out. No Stern pawls at Modern right or left. What did I have to do? I had to scavenge through old broken parts to put together a working left side plunger assembly. Scavenging through a closet without any order as to whats there whatsoever. All taking excess time ,with the clock ticking towards League start. No tool cart as it would be in the way as too many people were there, so its back and forth to the back room for tools etc So a quick 10 -15 min plunger replacement became almost an hour if not more.

That is why machines that I worked on were down or not repaired.

FLR and the owners haven't a clue as to what it takes to repair a machine. They think all repairs should be around 5mins. They don't understand that a stuck flipper or coil etc can be caused by many numerous things, some that are very easy and quick to remedy and others very time consuming and or hard.
That is why I choose to work on some machines over others with a time limit involved. Its like pinball triage working at Modern.

Hmmmmm 3 League machines that need board work or major overhaul to get running or 5 non league machines needing a flipper rubber or a switch adjustment or a few wires needing to be resoldered?
I believe the staff feels that all repairs should be 5min or less because I do diagnose and repair so many machines so quickly and make it appear that its the norm. They do not understand unforeseen circumstances that can keep a machine down which causes them to scramble for a back up league machine.

I also feel that 5 machines down are worse then 3 and that the League machines are not more important to the Modern visitor than any other machines.

Damned if you do damned if you don't!

#394 9 years ago

4/14

T2 …Lamp board out due to cracked solder joints on pins and wire dislodging from IDC connector.
1.jpg1.jpg

GS… Plunger tip worn through
2.jpg2.jpg

BR…. Left slingshot Rubber Ring
3.jpg3.jpg

Punchy the Clown…. Drop target bank due to bad coil Diode and bent target actuator arm and general dirt /corrosion. Had to be disassembled and gone through.

FG …...Drop target bank due to cracked solder joints on opto board.

TZ ….Proximity sensor due to wire break within insulation.

BSD…. Ball trough switch actuator bent in a position where ball would not make contact.

All machine repaired and cleaned.

SM, TSPP, Transformers,CSI also cleaned.

I never posted that I also clean the machines after each repair as once your in there its a good time to do it and to also check for any loose fasteners. For example BR change a rubber ring then clean the playfield etc.

4.jpg4.jpg
#396 9 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

I love these posts, it's great to get a feel for what to look out for.
Eddie, what's your process for cleaning?

Im asked this question so much that I think Ill make a video.
It would be easier to show then to explain.

Ill post a YT link when I make the vid.

The items I use normally are

Novus 2

Chamois lint free cloths (Not at Modern)

Naphta or Ronson lighter fluid for rubbers. (Not at Modern)

Mothers pure Carnuba wax (Not at Modern) Used once after a full restoration then once a year!

Brillianeze

The condition of the playfield and how the supplies are used with that condition is where the max benefit is derived.

#397 9 years ago

4/15

WH20… Left Flipper due to Flipper opto board having both cold solder joints at its connector plus a weak "Loose" connector and dirty optos a trifecta of gremlins.

AF … Installed new PDB as U2 is probably shot on the old one which the owners sent out for repair.

Avengers … Left Flipper button due to

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

TZ... Proximity sensor due to loose connector wires. Best fix direct soldering to board.
Right flipper due to pawl/link bolt being over tightened.

#399 9 years ago

4/16

AC/DC ..Rubber ring under TNT plastic.

Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#400 9 years ago

4/21

DM… When I arrived was told DM was down and that parts were ordered.
I was told that DM is a "league" machine for the night.
I lifted the playfield and saw that the ball trough transmitter Opto Board was missing. It was sitting on the cart in the back room and had these markings on it.
I was surprised to find that 3 optos were out at the same time.

1.jpg1.jpg

I knew we that we didn't have any optos in stock but.. I did find an old broken Opto transmitter board that I could use as an Opto donor.

I removed the bad Optos

Component side

2.jpg2.jpg

Solder side. To bad we don't have any flux cleaning supplies.

3.jpg3.jpg

Here the donor optos are installed

4.jpg4.jpg

Testing the board

5.jpg5.jpg

Once The board was installed I play tested it and noticed that the left flipper was behaving oddly in that it wouldn't drop back cleanly and was slightly raised from its normal unenergized state.

Lifted the playfield and this is what winked at me!

6.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg7.jpg

8.jpg8.jpg

After taking care of that unmentioned issue the machine played great and was "League" Ready.

Was asked to prep BR "tune up/Clean" for the "League" 45mins till the start.

Going through the machine one thing I always check for is loose ball guides and sure enough the right side lower ball guide was loose. this is very common on BR

9.jpg9.jpg

I also noticed that the right ramp left side post was very loose. This was due to the fact that it had broken off at the threaded part of its shaft.

10.jpg10.jpg

No posts in stock and a "League" machine might be down clutch the pearls!!!!!!!!!!

What to do?

I figured why not use the right side post and swap it with the left as the right side doesn't really take hits and can be held in place by the plastic.

Here the plastic has been removed in order to access the good right side post.

11.jpg11.jpg

The underside of the playfield with the swapped out posts.

12.jpg12.jpg

The result a strong needed left side post and the "League machine" is still in.

Here you can see how the plastic holds the now broken right side post from popping out.

13.jpg13.jpg

5 mins left for "League "Start and a practicing player comes to me and says "The left flipper on KISS is sticking up.

Kiss is a "League" machine

I lift the playfield with 3mins till "League" start and the coil has fried and seized the plunger.
No replacement coil in stock.
KISS the "League" machine is OUT!

14.jpg14.jpg

The following was then heard throughout Modern. Announced by a Modern employee no less.

"KISS is OUT the first night of "League" and a machine is already down that was fast shows how they fix machines here KISS is out First night this is how they fix machines"

I went out to get something to eat and upon return I get

" You fix DM is fucking not working thats how you fix"

I took a look at the machine figuring that something with the trough board may have been the issue but it turned out to be that the lower ball popper wasn't popping.
Coil tested good in test? Tranistor Q80 tested good? Power was getting to coil? Coil wires were good? Grounding the coil fired it? Grounding the TIP fired it? Solenoid test fired it? The Opto switch tested fine?
What the hell was the issue?

Turns out that J207 was slightly backed out. DM was FIXED again and was back for the "League"

You reading this post must understand that if I repair a machine for the "League" that it must work because I am GOD and even Clay Harrel is in awe of me. Nothing should go wrong with a machine even though what I repaired had nothing to do with the new breakdown! This is the only conclusion I can surmise that must be going through the minds at Modern.

AF … Multiball lock issue from the swamp, Lifted the playfield and was greeted with numerous hacks on every switch related to the swamp area with 5 mins left to go home. This will have to wait til tonight ugh.

Kiss….. Left flipper stuck up during "League Practice" with 15 mms before the league started.

11.jpg11.jpg

#402 9 years ago

4/22

AF ..Right lower flipper remains up until left flipper button is depressed. This is an AF fliptronics 1 board type of issue only. Normally caused by a bad or broken flipper diode on both right or left
side flipper coils.

Here in fact the left flipper left side diode was detached from the coil.

4.jpg4.jpg

In this case both sets of diodes on both coils were replaced which led to the next step as the issue continued.

Testing the hold TIP 102 transistor on the Fliptronics board. This was done along with the 2n4403 pre driver and both tested good. The right flipper coil was tested as well and tested good.
All the fliptronics board diodes,resistors etc relating to the right flipper hold were tested and checked out ok.
The problem still remains so the Tip 102 will be replaced today and its pre driver even thou they tested as ok in circuit.
AF still down Ouch!

Dr Dude… Was told the Popper kept popping. When I took a look I could see why can you?

2.jpg2.jpg

The popper is actuated by a fork type of switch actuator when the weight of the ball depresses the plunger cup which is held in the up position on the plunger by the switch fork. In this case there was never an up position of the ball cup as it was Glued down to the plunger rod????????????????

As the plunger dropped with the ball cup in the compressed position it actuated the switch energizing the popper. When the plunger dropped back down it actuated the switch repeating the process. I suppose who ever glued the cup to the plunger didn't understand how it worked.

On top of that the plunger return spring was shot.
3.jpg3.jpg

The unit could not be disassembled for repairs because the coil brackets threaded inserts had broken off with the screws frozen within.
The entire assembly needs replacing with none in stock and without a new ball cup style plunger Dr Dude still out another fail.

#403 9 years ago

4/23

VND .. A new CPU/ Sound Board arrived as the other board was toast.
Machine now comes up but there is no Display.

Kiss ..spent most of the eve trying to unfreeze two screws from the Left Flipper base coil stop bracket now that the new coil arrived.
The coil stop along with every other part of the assembly was shot.
Went out for some WD40 as we have none for these type of issues.
After an hour soak nothing the screws just laughed at me.
What was really needed was a torch or impact driver we don't have either.
Impacting the screw heads with a screwdriver and hammer to cause vibration shock had no effect. Vise grips on the screw heads had no effect. Didn't want to break screws off or ruin the base plate. What to do as time was really being wasted on two screws?
I could see there was no locking compounded used so what the hell was holding these screws so tightly?
Couldn't grind the heads off as we have no grinder.
Finally I decided to apply the vise grips to the coil stop bracket and twist it right and left to see if that would at least loosen or make a small gap with the screw heads.
I thought it was a dumb idea but what did i have to lose at this point? What do you know it worked. Finally got the screws out cleanly and completely rebuilt the flipper mech. Will be placing an order for some new Older Bally flipper brackets for the future.

DM … Lower popper wouldn't fire due to opto problem. Car crash 1 Xmitter opto was bad causing the ball popper opto to go crazy as well the fix was to replace it.

#410 8 years ago

4/28

AC/DC…… Lower playfield kickout opto due to Dirt no pics.

WPT…….. Was told right Flipper was broken on upper playfield.

Once again a Stern coil stop bolt head broke off in the flipper base

5.jpg5.jpg

Got lucky with this one as the bolt shaft was not frozen so a pair of vise grips removed it without any stripping. (Always turn a shaft like this clockwise as seen from the bolt head side in a tightening fashion to pull the shaft through.)

6.jpg6.jpg

About an hour later while working on AC/DC I am asked "Which upper flipper you fix on WPT? Because now it no works again" I said the Right was told "OK its left this time"

Sure enough

7.jpg7.jpg

Can you see why? Yes easy quick fix but a PITA. Couldn't it have done it an hour before while I was working on the right flipper? When is someone going to amend Murphys" Law?

8.jpg8.jpg

SM Right flipper

1.jpg1.jpg

Lifted the playfield and…………

2.jpg2.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

In the bottom of the cabinet…..

3.jpg3.jpg

Note in the above pic that the markings of the coil spring washer are etched in the coil stop. This is what probably contributed to the stop failing. The coil spring washer should be on the coil mounting bracket side NOT the coil stop side of the coil. Who Dunnit?

WOZ ….Just as I was leaving for the eve,that damned Murphy

POPbumper

9.jpg9.jpg
10.jpg10.jpg
11.jpg11.jpg
12.jpg12.jpg

No WOZ pop bumper rods in stock so WOZ is down first time in awhile.

#412 8 years ago

I didn't post anything on 4/49 and 4/30 as I was far to busy so that was a fail.

However on those two days there was only one issue worth mentioning as the rest were minor.

The New color DMD on TSPP display went out and I tried to no avail to find the cause so I swapped back in a standard DMD display.

I had to go to Modern on Sunday as my wife decorates themed B-day parties and other affairs there.

The color display was back in and working. Upon asking I was told by Steve Epstein that he had called the mfg and had the other tech talk with the Color DMD tech. The issue was that one of the ribbon cable ends on the color DMD display worked a bit loose corrupting the logic. The logic had to be reprogrammed and that took care of it.

How it was reprogrammed I wasn't told but if your Color DMD screen goes out this may be the same reason.

Quoted from PinPatch:

Eddie, why won't Modern Pinball set up a proper workshop/table with back up parts? Flux costs what 10 bucks? Wd 40 5 bucks? Proper set of basic tools say 600 bucks. Total set up 2k inc parts why not? Pinball is their business.
I'll tell you why because you are so good they don't see a need to.

Why? I better keep that info to myself. Thanks for the compliment.

I met some Pinsiders at Allentown that introduced themselves to me due to this thread and I want to say thank you for all of the nice words you guys made the show special.

Just as a reminder, I started this thread hoping to pass along info on what can fail in a Pinball machine and if you own a machine maybe you will find something in what I post, that can or will help you.
Again if you have any questions about a repair that I post about feel free to ask.

#417 8 years ago

5/6

SM…Both Doc Ock entrance optos. Its very unusual for both opts to go bad but that was the case here.

1.jpg1.jpg

To remove and replace the optos you need to remove the ball guides. Here the first on the left.

2.jpg2.jpg

The first ball guide was removed. The LED housing (along with its insulation paper) was removed with the thought that the Opto board would fit through the playfield but it would not. The opto must be pulled up through the playfield with the connector passing throughout the hole so you can retain the housing on the opto and save a step.

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

On to the other Opto.

5.jpg5.jpg

Removing the right side ball guide requires the removal of the plastics. First the clear two screws and a spacer don't misplace the spacer or drop it into the machine. No it didn't happen just making you aware that it could happen as its not attached to the plastic.

Then one wood screw down into the playfield removes the colored plastic.

The ball guide is held with two nuts and washers. The first is here.

6.jpg6.jpg

The second is located in a recessed hole and it is best to use a magnet or long thin needle nose pliers to remove the washer without having it drop into the machine.

7.jpg7.jpg

Here the ball guide has been removed and note the paper insulator that covers the back of the opto board . The best way to reinstall this after removal is to align the opto housing with the mounting holes then with the insulator FLATTENED OUT slide it into position between the opto and the mount..
You just need to align one screw mount hole first and start a crew then just swivel the other into position.

8.jpg8.jpg

BIG FAIL New interns decided to re arrange the supply closet with its only shelf and look what happened.

9.jpg9.jpg

The shelf was placed behind the door whereas the door cannot open enough to remove the work station Sheer Genius!!!!!!!! They must have also done the shelf shifting with the cart in the closet as there is no physical way that they could have shoved it through the door after. The cart is 4 inches wider then the door entrance now. There are attached power cord mounts that you can't see in the pic. They are jammed behind the wall.

Not sure if you can make it out but that is THE supply shelf how many important things can you see?

10.jpg10.jpg

TSPP ..Color DMD went out again this time another connector worked loose and again the code had to be ref lashed. It also turns out that the display in Modern is an older one so the Key had to be obtained via email to unlock the color portion of the logic.

#418 8 years ago

5/6

All but two pics deleted FAIL!

TOM… Skillshot switch #3 due to Diode leg separating from lug.

1.jpg1.jpg

Right Eddy sensor gave up the ghost.

TZ…. Proximity sensor due to cold solder joints on board.

Shooter lane diverter due to misaligned plate.

VND Changed out a transistor as per Stern techs suggestion and still no change.

Here the only pic of the work just after installing the transistor before the legs are bent into the direction of the traces and soldered.

2.jpg2.jpg

1 min before leaving as usual something happens and this time the T2 cannon stopped rotating.
Will work on it this eve.

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from scp:

@Eddie: I've had a similar issue with the kickout on the AC/DC lower playfield. You say it was caused by dirt on the opto? How exactly did you clean it out? Thanks!!

Removed the optos and cleaned them with (windex with vinegar) not windex blue. If you have 90% or better alcohol use that.

#421 8 years ago

5/7

My cameras flash card failed!!!!!!

T2…... Cannon due to the capacitor on the motor driver board losing one of its legs!

TWD….. Prison head shot not registering due to the switch blades making constant contact.

#422 8 years ago

5/11

GS (League machine)…... Ball count lights out and without schematics it was a long road of buzzing out all related wires. I spent an hour trying to trace the wires from the 4 pin connector but in the jumble of tightly tied wires it was crazy. However, Pinsides' Steve P was at Modern for league night and he happens to have a GS of his own. He directed me to the stepper unit in the back box which I had previously taken a look at but in pitch darkness. Blindly reaching around the back box ,while I viewed the lights from the front, he fiddled with the wires and made an intermittent contact that lit the lights. He said he felt the broken wire was behind the stepper unit. I lowered the stepper unit and the wire reared its ugly head. The wires tab had broken away from the stepper plate.
Its an odd set up as there are two tabbed wires connected to the same contact on the plate. Why didn't they just connect the two wires together and solder them to one tab on the plate? That was my fix. Thanks Steve for the help you saved tons of time.

In the pics you can see the wire with lug tab still attached.

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

AC/DC ….. League machine real odd cannon issue. Cannon fires on its own about 2 seconds after eject switch is activated. While working on that issue (Still not resolved) there was the smell of something burning and then I saw a small flareup of the left ramp diverter coil. Machine was out for the eve. No shorted coil connecting wires or driving transistor . Must have been an internal coil short. Still stumped as to the Cannon issue as al switches are working without any shorts. If I get a chance today Ill pull the eject switch diode off to see if it has gone bad and might be the cause.

3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg

VND….. 3 switches out. One due to its connector not connected, One because it was missing altogether and the last the opto receiver board is not getting power have one on order.

Power LED not active.
5.jpg5.jpg

#423 8 years ago

5/15

VND …Bad rollover switch due to a worn out internal spring.

1.jpg1.jpg

Shoot again lamp out due to wires backing out of socket.

2.jpg2.jpg

CSI …Eject hole switch due to ground wire coming off of lug.
5.jpg5.jpg

BR ..Ballcarrier wouldn't move the final third of its travel. Due to a board wire harness wire snagging on the carrier from behind no time for a pic.

TSSP….. replaced older version of Color DMD board.

Big Buck Hunter just arrived along with Monopoly.

BBH…... backbox bulb out and elk switch not registering easily I will look into that tonight.

3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg

#424 8 years ago

5/14

BBH Buck switch not too sensitive. Took awhile to figure out how it came apart to clean it and found that it is some sort of eddy sensor switch.

Here you can see the casing is full of old grease.

1.jpg1.jpg

Many parts involved with very small screws.
2.jpg2.jpg

AF Ball missing due to it floating around in the thing catch basket and why because the kick out coil wasn't firing and why??? That is what took me close to an hour to solve as nothing made sense.

Coil had power and correct ohms. Coil fired with direct grounding but just once? Coil fired from TIP 102 direct grounding but once? Coil in test would fire but just once? What was going on? the plunger was free and clear the sleeve was perfect. Turned out that the return spring became too weak to bring the plunger completely back. We don't have any springs in stock so I did the hack of stretching out the spring and everything worked again. One note is that the Thing catch pan had to be removed ,to extract the errant ball, and in doing so the screw holes in the playfield were weekend even though it didn't appear so. About an hour after the repair the balls were again missing this time because the pan fell out of its mounting because the screws simply couldn't hold in the playfield. Some bamboo installed in the holes and all was back to normal again. What a drag removing that dirty pan twice! Funny thing the screws bit tight with the initial reinstallation.

3.jpg3.jpg

#425 8 years ago

5/19

Monopoly …. Bank door due to Opto board going bad.

Opto board below playfield failed center receivers don't register.

1.jpg1.jpg

Rollover switch …. due to actuator separation of wire form from end. This is very common and the cause of many switch failures especially on STERN round/arched wire form actuators on rollovers.
No matter how small the wire form gap from the end of the actuator baled it will cause a non working switch.

Here the gap is very pronounced many times it is almost hard to see.

18.jpg18.jpg

BR….. Left flipper due to F6 blowing.

Stupid Fuse blown pic

2.jpg2.jpg

Upper playfield VUK due to fork portion of switch actuator breaking off at end of blade.

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

6.jpg6.jpg

In order to play a game with the all important VUK out of service you must disable the ball lifter motor. This is done by disconnecting one of the power wires from the motors power terminals.
The software now compensates for playing a full game without the use of the upper playfield.

11.jpg11.jpg

WOZ…. ball trough coil due to being cooked to death. This also caused a fuse to fail which disabled all coils in the machine.

15.jpg15.jpg

17.jpg17.jpg

One note that should really be in another thread posted on Pinside about a light for working.

At Modern we have a similar light only it is battery operated so you are free of cords and the light it puts out is amazing. If it is sitting in the cabinet there are very few shadows cast on a raised up playfield. Big drawback at Modern there are never any batteries!

12.jpg12.jpg

Punchy the Clown Drop targets drop too low causing balls to get stuck in the drop target slot.

No pics and the target bank height is non adjustable.

TOM Trunk stopped turning will look into it tonight.

BSD DMD went out will look into it tonight.

#426 8 years ago

5/20

Many down machines all within a few minutes of each other and a real issue with the Monopoly Bank optos that led to a very trying eve.

Dr Dude… VUK due to wire detaching from coil lug.

1.jpg1.jpg

BSD … Display due to power connector pins having cold solder joints.

2.jpg2.jpg

ST …… Left Flipper due to surprise surprise coil stop mounting bolt heads shearing off.

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

5.jpg5.jpg

GS no pics….. wouldn't start a game due to a switch blade coming out of the ball counter relay.

Monopoly … Bank optos not registering. An amazing amount of time and frustration was spent in trying to solve the issue starting with the replacement of the opto receiver board. No manual, New board behaved as the old. after pulling my hair out on every form of diagnosis (almost 2 hrs worth)
Turns out that for some reason the top emitting optos no longer align perfectly with the receivers and I mean they must be perfect no angles in the slightest. I managed to align just two transmitter board optos with the receiver optos by bending the Bank door roof ever so slightly. That is all I could possibly get and so only two out of the 4 opto switches are now working. There must be a better style of receiving opto that can be used that has a wider angle useful range.

#428 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You should have a Black Hole and Haunted House there for more fun. Aside from the "Upgraded " Cactus Canyon that was trapping balls next to the bandit at least once an hour due to no ball search in the program, those two Gottlieb monstrosities were a headache for all workers at the recent VFW pinball Showcase.

We had both Haunted House and CC at modern for sometime but they were replaced. One for rotation the other to be placed at another location.

#429 8 years ago

5/21

Didnt get a chance to post about last Thurs

VND ….Switch was not mounted correctly which bent the actuator arm.

Switch should be mounted on the outside of the bracket not the inside as it is here.

2.jpg2.jpg

BSD …DMD supply board many issues first is that the Resistor is just floating in the board holes all solder has cracked to the point of not holding the leads at all.

3.jpg3.jpg

The board needs to be rebuilt its a mess.

4.jpg4.jpg

Thats about it for last Thurs lets see what I will find this eve.

#430 8 years ago

5/26

Avatar LE ….. Right Flipper due to wire break at lug and Plunger Link Pawl Connection.

2 Flashers due to one a burned out bulb the other a broken off socket lug wire. no pics.

1.jpg1.jpg

Whats wrong in this pic?

6.jpg6.jpg

Transformers….. Spinner not registering due to bracket being bend up too far to the right and ball not making good contact.

In the pic you can see the lower left corner of the spinner has been peened flat by ball strikes.

8.jpg8.jpg

BR… Fork Blade switch arrived

Here you can see the comparison of broken and new switch before the installation of new switch.

10.jpg10.jpg

BBH… Buck stopped registering. I had a look at the switch last week in a rush and only cleaned what I could access but it didn't really change anything as the switch seldom registered no matter how it was hit. I thought it was a form of eddy sensor from the quick look. Last night I had some rare time and I decided to remove the switch from the playfield and have a better look into it. and if It couldn't be repaired a new one was to be ordered.

12.jpg12.jpg

13.jpg13.jpg

This is about where I got last week with the switch still left in the machine. Its hard to see but there is a metal Cover held down by the 4 nuts under tension by an expansion spring. It turns out that this switch is basically a tilt type mech with the rod being the pendulum and the cover is the ring.

14.jpg14.jpg

Here with the cover removed and you can see a white line where the rod makes contact with the cover. There is also a spring that goes around the rod and inside the cover I didn't get a pic. This spring is what determines the travel tension between the rod/Pole and cover/Ring. By tightening down the cover nuts the sensitivity is adjusted.

Can you see in pic 18 the hint as to the cause of the switch failure? Also note in background the Ring/Cover.

18.jpg18.jpg

19.jpg19.jpg

Here is what it looks like beneath the moving plate that the rod is attached to. Lots of old grease.

20.jpg20.jpg

Here is the cover upside down where the spring sits. If you look carefully you can see the cause of the failure. Of course it would have been easier to see had I taken a pic of the spring.

The center is covered in rust as was the entire spring. The remedy was to use scocthbrite green and polish them to shiny new. The rust prevented contact from being made between the ROD, SPRING and SPRING cover. Didn't get the chance to get pics but both parts cover and spring shined like mirrors. Switch now works great Buck registers from all sides as it should and the game is a hell of a lot of fun

21.jpg21.jpg

#431 8 years ago

5/27

I failed to make it in to Modern due to my other job!

I should therefore have twice the work this eve.

#433 8 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

The person who fails Modern Pinball is that short/fat guy w/the eastern block accident at the front desk. My girlfriend and I went there once and he was kinda rude (like a put up or shut up/this is my place way), so I just chalked it up as East Coast Mentality to my girl, but she said, "NO, that guy at the front desk is just an Asshole." She's from Jersey, so I guess she'd know better then me.
I won't stop going there when I'm in town, but that dude at the front desk needs to be cool. I

First off let me apologize for any unpleasant experience that you may have had at Modern.

Are you referring to the one and only FLR?

10301933_10202599924693557_3366577563102807631_n.jpg10301933_10202599924693557_3366577563102807631_n.jpg

I understand that he becomes harsh at times.
You must have caught him at a very stressful time as he does work unbelievably hard for Modern and the Tournaments that are run there. I am not making any excuses for him ( He and I are on the outs for the last 3 weeks). I will ask the owners if they can somehow compensate you with some Time Credit.

One more thing he is not from an Eastern Block country unless Italy has recently been taken over by Putin.

Once again I apologize on behalf of Modern and will bring the matter to the owners attention..

#435 8 years ago

5/28

All machines were working upon arrival with the exception of some issues that arose while I was not there. It was a good chance to clean some play fields.

DM… No sound. I pulled the sound board and saw that below U27 someone had tried to repair replace it?
There was a lot of damage on the solder side but I didn't take pics.
I discovered that the trace to pin 4 (From left to right in the pic) was also broken. I made a stitch for that trace to the pin on the solder side and reinstalled the board but nothing changed which is what I thought considering the damage. The board needs to go to my shop for proper repair.

1.jpg1.jpg

Xenon….. all pop switches out of adjustment

TOM…..Just 2 mins till quitting time a player complained about the Trunk. Upon inspection the trunk proved to be fine but center ramp switch 71 was not registering. Of course its a switch below another ramp which will have to be removed.

You can just make out the actuator in the pics. The other tech will have to replace it as I won't return until Tues.

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

#444 8 years ago

6/2

DM .. Sound still out but the sound board rebuild kit came in.

The only thing I could do with the tools available and allotted time was to remove U29 and U21. I think Ill take the board to my shop at home and work on it between my restoration work.

3.jpg3.jpg

Pins ready for removal

4.jpg4.jpg

Pins removed and holes to be cleaned of solder.

5.jpg5.jpg

TOM.. Numerous issues and after 4 days of me not being at Modern no one replaced the bad center ramp switch!!!!!
In other words you couldn't spell MAGIC and start mutilball in that way.

The offending switch with no quick access so of course its the one to fail.

9.jpg9.jpg

Both ramps must be removed to get to the switch then we didn't have a new switch with a proper actuator so I had to make a new actuator
out of a long straight actuator and install it on a new switch. Didnt have time for pics but it became a perfect match for the old one.

Probably a good idea to have a stockpile of the long straight blade actuators so you can always make the desired shape you may need. The one problem is that if the actuator you are trying to replicate is broken off, without reference, it may be hard to know the correct angles to bend and where to bend them and the correct length.

10.jpg10.jpg

Ball Trough… Due to F104 Blowing... due to the Ball Trough Sleeve backing out causing a ball jam.

6.jpg6.jpg

Backglass upper Trim. Split down the middle

7.jpg7.jpg

Left center Stand up target due to contact falling out of switch blade.

GS…….. wouldnt reset the 1000 points reel due to its switch blades being dirty and out of adjustment.

One curiosity is that all of the score reels have "Switches" wired up and mounted but are never supposed to make contact or can't by any means?

Would anyone know the reason for these "Switches" Why they are there what their purpose is?

Weird Open Blade "Switches" I use quotation marks because they really are not switches I don't know what they are.

2.jpg2.jpg

1.jpg1.jpg

TAF…. Left Flipper Flutter due to wire off of coil lug. Bad pic as my camera just can't seem to focus in some situations.

8.jpg8.jpg

#448 8 years ago

6/3 and 6/4

Got too busy to post for 6/3 so Ill combine the two days. I guess the days don't really matter but my memory sucks as to all that was done.

TOM.. Newton ball would get stuck as Ball guides got bent in

2 center ramp stand up targets were replaced.

F104 Fuse Blew... due to Pinbits ball trough sleeve backing out and causing a jam. This is the second time its happened. The Sleeve is a great mod however it needs to be attached using double stick tape.

TWD ..Ballgate wire form in shooter lane broke off.

BR …Lock VUK in upper playfield not registering due to Ball cup pin backing out and binding the switch blade.

Kick back…. Due to wire coming off of coil lug

3.jpg3.jpg

BSD …Ball kicker collar sheared off

2.jpg2.jpg

PZ….Right Flipper due to wire coming off of coil Lug

1.jpg1.jpg

AF …….. Ball shooter due to wire coming off of coil Lug

4.jpg4.jpg

One GI string out due to blown fuse.

GS ….Large target Bank not getting power to reset coils not solved yet.

WOZ.. Display still out waiting word from JJP.

DM.. Sound board still out waiting for me to take home this weekend for repair.

and about 7 other things that I cant remember.

#450 8 years ago

Not a typical Post but just thought I would share what I deal with when I have to work with other "techs"

The sound board on DM has been out so someone decided they would replace a transistor and this is the result.

4.jpg4.jpg

Now here is the result when I remove a transistor.

5.jpg5.jpg

This is just a sample of what must be dealt with when not the sole tech.

#454 8 years ago

6/9

Nice slow day as there were really only three issues to address.

WH20… Left Flipper due to Bushing screw backing out and jamming the Pawl.

One screw from the bushing was missing and found in the bottom of the cabinet along with its nut and the backed out screws nut.

I took a few pics as I can never tell if the camera has enough light and is focused. Its hard to see when Im taking the pics.

The camera is horrible for taking pics in dark light, under fluorescent light, with LED lighting or in tight spaces.

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

TZ.. Left Flipper due to Plunger Link bolt falling out along with link bushing.

5.jpg5.jpg

GS … Outhole coil not firing with switch haven't solved it yet without schematics but leaning towards an improperly adjusted score motor switch.

BR Right flipper sticking due to worn return spring. Didn't bother taking a pic of a return spring as it looked like a good one.

AF Replaced for EM Dipsey Doodle and AC/DC replaced for Paragon not fails just mentioning the new rotation.

#455 8 years ago

6/10

Another slow day as the only issue was a ball getting stuck repeatedly on a whitewater ramp.

1.jpg1.jpg

Its a sobering reality about the design of Pinball machines when you have to wonder how its possible that for two days in a row there are no

Breakdowns!!!!

In just about two years of operation at Modern that makes only 4 days without a breakdown thats just not tolerable for a device that is designed to make money on locations.

What if Planes,Cars,Trains or any vehicle were made that way?

What if your appliances, Phone, TVs were made that way?

What if your toilet was made that way?

The old adage "If fits not broke its not Pinball" Is a sorry excuse for MFGs poor design and craftsmanship period and I hate the term.

I can understand broken plastics but the rest??????

How much stress do the parts on your car take? Think about that and how well they last in all weather conditions to boot.

OK rant over its nice to not have to repair a machine once in a while.

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Understandable for the machines that are 15+ years old. They were meant for 3-5 years of location use and then they were to be scrapped or placed in homes for limited use.

THe same is true for the new machines as they have the same problems with some issues more frequent then the older machines.

#458 8 years ago

6/11

Just two simple flippers out of adjustment on two machines.

6/16

Was left with a note to install a new Cliffy protector in Monopoly as the VuK hole was starting to get worn.. OK no problem a straight forward job.

1.jpg1.jpg

I remove the glass for a quick evaluation of what would need to be removed and ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???????

Wedged tightly behind the left ramp Billboard and the POP bumper cap was

6.jpg6.jpg

A HUGE Ball !!!!!! Why was it there ? How long has it been there? How did it get there? Its the great pinball mystery.

Actually its a nice ball ceramic or synthetic, very heavy and just smaller then a pool ball.

2.jpg2.jpg

5.jpg5.jpg

Mystery sphere removed and cliffy installed.

4.jpg4.jpg3.jpg3.jpg

Xenon…… 2 popbumper switches had gaps too large

7.jpg7.jpg

8.jpg8.jpg

BR ….Blown F4 Fuse

The new Stern KISS should arrive today!!!!!!!!!!

#460 8 years ago

6/17

Nothing to report except for another Blown f4 fuse on BR so I will have to look into why its happening.

New KiSS acquisition delayed 2 weeks due to ordering errors on Moderns part.

#463 8 years ago

Send a design competition to MIT or Stanford students to design and build a better more reliable flipper mech around the same price point and I bet there will be at least 20 better designs that would come out.

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

They could make them as reliable as a Toyota but they'd cost $100,000.

Then they wouldn't win the competition because they didn't read the rules.

#468 8 years ago

6/18

CSI…... upper left flipper and one again the cause? Broken coil stop.

1.jpg1.jpg

BR …. Left flipper due to lane change switch actuator getting caught on Flipper button shaft because flipper button retaining nut backed out

to the point of falling off which caused the flipper button to shift.

2.jpg2.jpg

TSPP… Shooter lane solenoid firing randomly due to switch actuator getting pushed below the playfield in the shooter lane. This must have been done by someone lifting the playfield and their thumb or finger pressing against the actuator. There is no other way for it to be where it was too bad no pic.

#470 8 years ago

6/23

Mustang….. Bottom target of 3 bank targets always on due to switch out of adjustment.

Useless pic but took it anyway.

1_1.jpg1_1.jpg

Cleaned and installed LEDs in Dipsey Doodle a really great EM.

Doodle Bug Mech about to be serviced.

Decided to install color changing LEDs in the doodle bug mech. Its a dramatic difference and really nice effect.

Its really cool how such simple change brings this great little EM machine into the present.

// Error: Image 420362 not found //

// Error: Image 420360 not found //

// Error: Image 420361 not found //

13_1.jpg13_1.jpg
1_1.jpg1_1.jpg
15_1.jpg15_1.jpg

14_1.jpg14_1.jpg

Encountering strange posting issues sorry about the repeat pics

#471 8 years ago

6/24

As luck would have it after installing LEDs in Dipsy Doodle yesterday and cleaning out the Doodle mech upon returning to Modern last night

I was told that DD was down.

I went over to the machine and smelled the distinct oder of burned coils ,wires etc.

Sure enough the large bell coil had burned and a fuse was blown.

1.jpg1.jpg

The machine will no longer start up as things just don't seem to reset completely. All score reels do Zero and their switches although filthy are in the correct state.

Players do not reset nor do the player Number lights advance or decrease. So there are a few issues.

This repair will not be easy as all underplay field and back box switches ,relays and steppers are corroded in rust,dirt grime etc.

There are many wires spliced together with electrical tape etc.

Machine was brought in as working and it was, but it probably hadn't been working in years and was "Fixed" just to get into Modern.

The machine should have had all the corrosion and grime removed first as its fairly extensive.

The rust on the inside of the coin door alone is very impressive and how the machine was actually working to begin with is simply amazing.

I didn't want to touch anything other then the Doodle bug and lights yesterday as the machine was working.

I figured that in the condition that it was in it wouldn't work for long but maybe it just might last for awhile. This wasn't the case as the incessant play at Modern took its toll right away.

The LEDs still look good!

Aside from DD there were no problems to speak of.

Stern Mustang had a switch error that cleared itself other than that all was good.

#472 8 years ago

6/25

VND …. Ball stuck in the in lane why?

1.jpg1.jpg

Someone lost their head!

2.jpg2.jpg

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

Have you figured out the mystery of where the ball came from?

I havent a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It now sits on my desk at work as an enigmatic conversation piece.

#476 8 years ago

6/30

Nothing to speak of, an occasional stuck ball. Playfields cleaned.

This lull on failures is probably due to a week break in League play. League play resumes next week.

#477 8 years ago

7/1

A very odd issue arises once again on TZ. Thought the issue was resolved about a year ago and now it returns.

The Right ramp Diverter fails after about 5 cycles until the gate is lifted completely by hand then it works again for about 5 cycles rinse and repeat.

1.jpg1.jpg

The last time this happened I replaced the coil,coil stop. all three related transistors cleaned the mech etc then it worked fine until now.

Upon taking a look I saw that the coil stop had some sticky substance on it that appeared to be the residue of now gone electrical tape?

2.jpg2.jpg

The residue also found its way into the coil stop face side

3.jpg3.jpg

Long boring story short. Replaced coil stop,coil and cleaned mech and the issue remains but the odd part is that the coil will only fire in test mode about 5 times as well before stopping. A really odd thing is that with direct transistor grounding the same issue occurs???????

Maybe the transistors need replacing again and that after a few cycles the heat makes one go open? Just a guess .

Its as if the coil simply stops getting any current after a few cycles.

Ground wire appears to be intact and has perfect continuity even when jiggled and twisted. Will look into it more this eve.

Monopoly….. upper right flipper due to switch blade gap being too wide so that contact is never made between the two blades when button is depressed

Dumb pic as you really can't see but the blade set is the two far right blades.

4.jpg4.jpg

#478 8 years ago

7/2

I didn't get a chance to post from last Thurs at Modern

ST …..Drop target out of order due to coil stop shearing off.

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

Coil was dangling good thing it didn't cause a short.

3.jpg3.jpg

Xenon……I was asked to replace the lighting flippers with standard size and found that on the right flipper switch a contact on one blade fell off of the blade. Didnt get pics as other small issues on machines arose on leave games. Stuck balls etc.

#479 8 years ago

7/7

When I arrived 6 machines were down. Not only that but this was sitting on the work cart!!!!!!!!!!

51.jpg51.jpg

BR…. Ball cup from back box VUK popper was off due to its retaining pin missing. Where did it go?

29.jpg29.jpg

Paragon….. Both right flippers due to broken return spring which locked the plunger blowing the flipper fuse.

Upon replacing the spring I saw that the plunger end was flared out a lot requiring a fine file to remove the burrs and then followed with scotchbrite Green for smoothing and polishing.

33.jpg33.jpg

35.jpg35.jpg

Transformers…. Row of switches out including ball trough due to a wire backing out of a connector.

This was hard to spot as it was still in the connector. This fix took the longest of the eve about 1/2 hr

31.jpg31.jpg

Party Zone…Game wouldn't start due to ball missing and it was missing not in the machine at all?

T2…Stand up target due to adjustment gap to big.

Xenon… Right flipper due to Flipper link retaining screw backing out.

Total repair time 1hr 5 mins It was super league night.

I was also greeted with new additions to Modern in the forms of KISS and Wrestlemania!

36.jpg36.jpg

The History of Kiss Pinball in one spot

39.jpg39.jpg

50.jpg50.jpg

#482 8 years ago

7/8

Too much to do to take pics

BBH….. Wire broke out of Buck switch requiring removal of said switch for the repair.

T2… Plunger coil shorted, Plunger tip mushroomed, Plunger mount was a Hack from some time in the past. Gun switch due to actuator
being bent.

AC/DC not level and leg adjusters were frozen in place due to being bent and threads stripped.

Bally Kiss not level

STERN KISS... came up with an issue related to software? The game would lock up during play.

Sometimes just the DMD would freeze and the game could still be played.

This issue was not present the night before.

On my 2nd ball about to start multi ball with 68mil showing the game locked up. Hate when that happens.

Went to clean machines and nothing in stock to clean machines!! They ran out of Novus, machines will get dirty really fast.

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Eddie...just wanted to point out the other thread here. Others have been battling some Kiss issues.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/major-out-of-the-box-kiss-pro-issues

I know about that thread thanks for the heads up however I was just reporting what failed at Modern, Kiss, being just one of the issues.

So far I have witnessed two different KISS machines with issues, one at the Rock Fantasy Kiss Launch as I posted in another thread and now here at Modern Pinball. Two for Two isn't very good that is a 100% failure rate.

Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Are you having issues when the game is first powered on? Mine usually takes 2-3 attempts before the lights and everything fires up.

Not that I am aware of but I can look into it when I return to Modern this eve. From my understanding Stern has already sent us a new board.

#487 8 years ago

7/9

Mustang.. Slingshot rubber. Slingshot rubbers are prone to failure due to the amount of abuse they get so its logical to assume that replacing them should be expected, quick and easy right?

On Mustang you must remove the spiral ramp to replace the rubber ring as it connector wires run through the center of the Ring!!!!!!

1.jpg1.jpg

Note wire access hole in plastic

2.jpg2.jpg

Once again field service requirements are left off of the design board.

KiSS…. Lock up many times I took voltage readings while it was in the locked up state and they were all fine.

I took pics of the board during both game play and in the locked up state and the LED indicators showed no difference.

In the two pics posted here one is During gameplay but the back box LEDs wash out the pic. There is also a blinking LED next to the small lit LED
near the right center that the camera could not capture as the blinking rate was too fast..

The other pic is the board with the power just shut down to eliminate the LED glare. You can see one LED is still lit as a cap was still discharging.

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

Dr Dude …Right Flipper due to coil wires revolving around bobbin and breaking internally. No pics as this happened just as I was leaving for the night I left the repair up to the other Tech. He comes in today.

#489 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Eddie, have you considered moving over to the Titan pinball rubbers? From the few reviews, they look like they will hold up a lot better than standard rubber.

I have no say in it I don't own Modern Pinball.

For the restoration work I do for clients I use nothing but Titan and Super Bands.

We do use Super Bands on the flippers at Modern and they are a life saver as in almost 2 years of continuous use not one has needed to be replaced.

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I get Superbands from PBL and I have one break a week. Do you buy them from someone else ?

We took our order from Marco over 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe PBL got a bad batch?

#492 8 years ago

7/14

Only two minor issues

BR … Ring broke requiring the removal of the ramp to replace.

2.jpg2.jpg1.jpg1.jpg

SM… Doc Ock Opto switch went out due to loose connector

3.jpg3.jpg

KISS still locks up with new code

Numerous stuck balls.

#495 8 years ago

7/15

T2… Drop Target Down due to coil actuator arm getting stuck in assembly hole and also due to return spring coming off of drop target.

Only one useless pic came out

1.jpg1.jpg

#496 8 years ago

7/16

TSPP… Color DMD screen went out cause not yet determined.

BR …Fuse F8 blown

5.jpg5.jpg4.jpg4.jpg

Paragon …. Q 60 on lamp driver board burned up due to faulty lamp socket.

2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg

#497 8 years ago

7/21

T2….. Canon Error due to balls never reaching the canon and closing the switch…. Due to someones repair of the Skull and installing the wiring harness in such a way that the connectors were jamming the Drop Target down actuator blade which held the target in an up position.

No Pics as it was league night with players on both sides of the machine.

Punchy the clown… Left Lower kicker/Slingshot due to assembly bracket breaking in two. I will have to weld it as there are no replacements.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg7.jpg7.jpg8.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9.jpg

Transformers…. Upper right playfield ball gate due to coil core too far from gate. No pics

BBH … Buck switch failed again due to being to worn. no pics.

#498 8 years ago

Just repaired the Punchy Assembly. Now its all welded up, cleaned up and better than new!

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6.jpg

#499 8 years ago

7/22

Punchy the Clown … Right slingshot side rubber ring

1.jpg1.jpg

SM ….Jackpot wouldn't register due to upper right ramp switch out of adjustment.

TSPP…Color DMD display still out with new board. Im leaning towards bad display

TOM…Reset due to loose connectors.

Couldn't take any more pics as the League was playing.

#500 8 years ago

7/23

Not much really

New Whirlwind needed a flipper rebuild and some switch adjustments.

#501 8 years ago

7/28

T2… Flasher locked on and burning out due to a TIP 102 being shorted at Q40

8.jpg8.jpg

Bad Q40

10.jpg10.jpg

Bad Q40 removed from board

14.jpg14.jpg

Checking holes and not too bad considering this was done in the dark with terrible equipment.

15.jpg15.jpg

New Tip102 installed

WPT…Upper right flipper stuck

1.jpg1.jpg

Can you see the cause?

2.jpg2.jpg

Note the improper parts as well

Williams Plunger and link assembly. Modern pawl and older style link (Tapered)

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

For the improper parts, you never noticed them before? I thought the WPT has been at Modern for quite awhile. I'm not sure if you do PM looking for loose coil stops or perhaps have the playfield up to replace a lamp or something.

As you can see from my post I did notice it

I also check over every part when I have to lift a playfield

However I am not the only tech at Modern and within the four days that I am not there
Many many things change and usually for the worse

In my case I would have to check every assembly on 30 machines every time I return to Modern ands every time that I did I would see something Completely wrong.

Maybe this was the first post that you have read about what failed at Modern?

#506 8 years ago

7/29

KISS Stern ..Installed Cliffy Protector

1.jpg1.jpg

Avengers …Drop Targets wouldn't register due to Opto board connector coming loose.

Paragon… Top Left Pop Bumper not activating due to bad switch adjustment

AC/DC…Weak flippers due to dirty pawls and links.

WH2O topper…….. Bulbs all burned out due to some genius deciding to install Blue leds and when they burned out replaced some with 555 bulbs which not only fried but also melted some of the lamp sockets. The led bodies were completely burned up which left the LED leads exposed. How a fire didn't start is amazing. On two sockets the 555 bulbs are now entombed in melted socket plastic.

On the WH20 Topper only 194 bulbs are to be used. If you claim to be a Pinball tech shouldn't you know this?

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ah...Eddie...you should be here at ReplayFX! I asked Steve where you were.

Im restoring a T2 for a client no time for play for me!

Quoted from MrBally:

Find out who did that an educate them or have them relegated to freeing up stuck balls.
Make sure Steve is made aware of this.

Steve is and has been aware of this but………………………….

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

Beautiful repair on the Punchy the Clown assembly!

I thank you and Punchy thanks you!

#514 8 years ago

8/4

Bally Kiss …Spinner not registering due to too wide of a switch gap.

1.jpg1.jpg

SM …Points registering with flipper actuation. Due to Opto board connector backing out.

2.jpg2.jpg

DM …. Sound out …due to Blown Fuse on sound board.

3.jpg3.jpg

#516 8 years ago

8/5

Really good day as only one small issue.

TOM… A few solenoids out due to fuse F105 Blowing due to a pinbits ball trough sleeve breaking and jamming the ball eject coil.

No pics as I left the camera at Modern Ugh FAILURE!

#517 8 years ago

8/6

Very busy with machines down and more importantly "League Machines" and to end the night with one of the more bizarre "repairs" I have yet seen in a machine.

Monopoly…. Right flippers due to Right flipper button breaking apart.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

VKD…..Weak and sometimes dead flipper or flutter. Checked over the EOS switch, Plunger Link assembly, Coil, Coil wires and all seemed ok

Ground to coil test ok. Everything appeared ok but worn so decided to just replace the coil and clean the plunger link assembly clean and adjust the Eos switch. With all of that done the issue remained. For some reason I didn't think it was a transistor issue so I checked the right flipper fuse and indeed the filament was broken within but couldn't be seen. when shaken it would make contact. Replaced the fuse and all was well.

5.jpg5.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

Transfomers …..Broken slingshot ring. Many parts to remove and two connectors to be disconnected to replace a simple rubber

15.jpg15.jpg

Ill finish 8/6 on the next post as I have to show pics!!!!!

#518 8 years ago

PZ… Ball wouldn't kick out of out hole. This came up shortly before I was leaving to go home and upon a quick search for the cause I came upon this.

I opened the back box and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cpu board was mounted wrapped in Bubble Wrap and hanging by only the ribbon cables and other wire connectors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give that Tech a raise please…………………………

But maybe they had something there as I decided to mount the board correctly by removing the bubble wrap and securing it with screws where and how it should be mounted and with the grounding points attached.

After doing so the machine was in a locked up state with the dmd showing nothing but scattered frozen dots?

What the hell mount the board and grounding it causes a lockup and a dead CPU?

Nothing else but the board and mounting points were touching. Nothing on the back of the board was making contact with the back box metal plate.

I was on my way out the door anyway so I mounted the board back with zip ties making sure that the CPU did not get grounded to any points ( I stuffed the bubble wrap back behind the board) and the damn machine came back to life? I figured Ill let the other tech deal with the problem of the out hole as they probably caused this issue with this crazy board installation…

I was out of there tired of dealing with the nonsense. But why should this Happen and what kind of weird after market board is this and when was it brought in as it was not there last week?

I think Ill make a call to two bits and get the lowdown.6.jpg6.jpg7.jpg7.jpg8.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9.jpg10.jpg10.jpg11.jpg11.jpg13.jpg13.jpg14.jpg14.jpg

#522 8 years ago

Too busy for Pics

BR upper playfield VUK switch due to?????? still working on that as all appears fine but after first correct sequence it will not activate unless

Restoring factory settings is initiated then the switch and sequence works fine again for about 10 games? Possible chip issue without diagnostic tools.

T2…... Broken Flipper rubber

BSD….. Left flipper weak due to link and plunger wear.

WH20… False multiballs due to a stuck switch.

Quoted from eyeguypec:

I'm looking forward to learning more about the bubble wrap.......

PZ was working when I arrived at Modern I decided not to look at the machine and leave the hack with the other Tech as its his hack and he has the machine working. Its better to just stay out of it. I guess we will never learn the theory of the Bubble wrap Hack.

I have also decided that if there is a Hack based issue with a machine I am no longer going to repair it I will leave it up to the one who did the Hack in the first place.

Repairing machines that go down due to use is one thing Repairing machines due to others Hacks and misguided attempted repairs is another.. Am I wrong?

#524 8 years ago

8/12

TSPP.. Color DMD out due to faulty ribbon connector . After the Color DMD was finally repaired upon power up and a few seconds into gameplay the machine would reset.

First thing was to check the connectors (Simple stuff first)but then it was noticed that the Itchy Drop targets would not reset.

In coil test they would not reset.

Checked the fuses while the translight was out for the connector check.

Fuses were pulled and tested good.

lifted the playfield and had a visual on the Drop target coil and sure enough a wire had come off of a coil lug and was also touching the drop target frame.

So the disconnected wire not only caused the Drop targets not to reset but also caused the game reset issue.

No pics place was to crowded.

ST pro … Left slingshot Rubber

#526 8 years ago

8/13

T2…. left flipper needed a complete rebuild as plunger,link,pawl,coil stop and sleeve were worn.

Dr Dude…... right flipper due to compression spring breaking due to most probably an incorrect prior repair where as a new style plunger was used.

I didn't take pics but below are pics from My T2 restore series showing how and old style plunger sits within the compression spring.

10.jpg10.jpg

Above an old style plunger note the tapered link. Below a modern link without the taper.

11.jpg11.jpg

Clear view of the taper

12.jpg12.jpg

Here you see how the tapered link sits within the expanded spring.

14.jpg14.jpg

Here you can see how it works in the mech and you will understand how a modern un-tapered link can help to cause the spring to get caught in the mechanism and break.

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

When you rebuilt T2 flips you used the newer style link ?

Yes I changed over to the new style and have pics of doing so on my T2 restoration thread.

This is one instance where text would have been good along with the pics .

I Always convert to the new style unless the client wants to maintain originality.

So far no original takers as function outweighs the form.

In the example above I had to break apart a Stern pawl /link assembly to repair the Dr Dude as Modern does not have the tapered links but did have one that wasn't used from a Stern assembly.

#530 8 years ago

8/18

T2 ..Canon due to coil wire disconnecting from coil lug

Mustang …Two separate opto switches due to loose connecters at Optp boards

WPT…Continuous ball ejects from trough due to loose ball trough opto connecter

PZ… left flipper due to wire disconnecting from coil lug

BR …Broken down for moving in exchange for BK

BK… Set up

#531 8 years ago

8/19

BK …Weak right flipper due to improper EOS adjustment.

T2…Outhole Kicker due to coil wire disconnecting from coil Lug.

#533 8 years ago

8/20

Metalica .. Left flipper due to coil stop base thread stripping. Once again probable cause was coil spring washer on coil stop side.

1.jpg1.jpg

One odd thing was that both flipper coils had windings beginning to unwind!

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

There were also three more repairs on other machines but Im getting senile and can't remember what they were. It was two days ago.

Quoted from Law:

So, Eddie - general question. When communicating to a given "floor worker" at an arcade, what's a good way to say that something should be/needs to be fixed to actually get it fixed, at least at Modern?
At our local places, a player walking up to the counter and saying "the trough opto connector is loose on Metallica and is causing false drains and extra ball launches" or even "The drop targets aren't resetting" is met with zombie eyes.

Not sure how to answer this question. If the floor worker was a tech then there shouldn't be a problem if they were not a tech but just watching over the arcade I can understand the Zombie look in the eyes.

As for Modern all players simply walk over to either myself on the days Im there or the other "tech" on the days he is there and tell us what
problem they have just encountered and on what machine. We then take it from there as usually a player is not a tech and what they are describing is not what is happening or is the result of another problem.

In our situation we try to correct the problem ASAP so the that the customer can play the game they wanted to.

As for other places I would just assume that there are no around the clock techs on hand just Ticket or admissions takers.

Therefore I would expect a machine with a problem not being corrected right away.

#535 8 years ago

8/25

Dr Dude…….. Right Flipper due to EOS switch going out of adjustment. Un level Rear adjusters full out Front adjusters legs full in.

Transformers… Once again in just over a week the left slingshot rubber broke.

T2…. Insert Lamp issues. Still diagnosing.

AC/DC …un level Rear adjusters full out Front adjusters legs full in. UGH

Was left a message that the Party Zone CPU board was in the back and that it should have U20 replaced and socketed and that the socket will be brought in on Thurs. WHo made the decision that U20 was causing some issue? There is a board in PZ now where did this board come from? OK I hate doing this type of work at Modern as they are not set up for it in the least. Its like trying to chop down the forrest with a Herring!
Anyway I decided to try to do the work there as I repaired all that was down in just 1 hr and had 3 1/2 hrs to go. I also changed out a poorly installed remote battery holder that someone had installed in the past.

All work was done under the light of a flashlight just too start.

Here the 2803 has been removed but there is nothing to clean off the flux or to really clean the holes better.

1.jpg1.jpg

I cut the chips from the legs first then remove the legs however the XCellite cutters that are supposed to be used for this work were used to cut hanger wire from a clothes hanger to use for mounting a sign so they don't cut any more as the tips are broken off. This was the best I could do with the ruled down broken tip Xcellite

2.jpg2.jpg

Here i am using the flashlight from behind the board to view the traces better to test continuity making sure that no trace or via has been compromised.

3.jpg3.jpg

Reworked the Remote battery Holder.Too bad we don't have connectors as I would have used them in order to remove the board from the back box easier in the future. Green and Black wires were used as thats what we have on hand. Take note that the work room area is lit with a flashlight.

4.jpg4.jpg

I always use the unused battery holder pads as strain relief for the battery holder wires.

1.jpg1.jpg

#536 8 years ago

8/26

The U 20 socket came in so I installed it.

Again doing the work under the light of a flashlight!
1.jpg1.jpg

Besides that just a few stuck balls in machines .

#537 8 years ago

8/27

DM… Left Flipper was drooping low…Due to pawl being worn as well as the entire assembly being dirty with a really crusted sleeve.

All parts were replaced.

While lifting the Playfield to work on the Left flipper I was greeted with this!

3.jpg3.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

POP bumper assembly bracket broke at the coil stop end with no replacements on hand.

Note the shoddy weld repair that someone had done probably years ago on the VUK/ subway assembly.

Aside of the DM issues nothing else failed just more stuck balls for players in the league.

#539 8 years ago

Have been too busy to post so I will try to remember what was done on the last three days of missed posts.

9/1 9/2 9/3

PZ….. left flipper due to wire coming off of EOS switch

WH20 … Left flipper to low due to Pawl nut coming loose

Updated Kiss software to 1.04

TSPP ….One string of insert controlled lights stuck on due to Transistor and its related resistors shorting and burning.

T2 …..Drop target due to heres the days puzzle.Can you see the cause in the pic?

1.jpg1.jpg

Transformers LE…I was given a note to replace the three transistors on the PC board left on the table. I tested the transistors and they appeared to be fine but went ahead and replaced them with the transistors supplied with the board.
4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6.jpg7.jpg7.jpg

I installed the board and there was an issue with the ball trough not kicking a ball into the shooter lane and assumed the other tech felt it was this board issue. Upon closer examination a wire had come out of an opto connector.
8.jpg8.jpg
Once reinstalled the game was back to working.

DM…Shooter lane not working due to switch actuator stuck under playfield.

Numerous other failures that I can't remember.

Numerous stuck balls and lamps that had gone out.

One new development at Modern is the fact that the other "Tech" will be gone for 2 months maybe more and will be replaced by the tech that worked at the Broadway Arcade. Never being at the Bway Arcade I don't know the condition of the machines that were there. Lets see how this pans out.

#542 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Looks like the coil sleeve came apart from the lip at the top of the sleeve causing the mech to jam up. Or it has way to long of a sleeve installed

Nice attempt but not correct!

in your defense the pic is bad due to the flash it gives the illusion of coil separation.

Anyone else care to guess?

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Switch actuator lever dislodged/jammed?

BINGO Nice job,

The switch actuator was caught above the drop target reset arm. It was then holding the drop target in the up position.

Quickest fix was to remove switch bracket which is held with two screws and reset the actuator arm to its proper position.

#547 8 years ago

9/8

TSPP …Lamp Row locked on due to a shorted U17 not sure yet about U17 but R268 is toast. Will replace U17 and the related transistors they are on order.

R268 burned up.
2.jpg2.jpg

U17 and R268 removed
5.jpg5.jpg

Checking for cleared holes with background light before testing for pad,trace and via continuity.
3.jpg3.jpg

The Avengers…Loki lock not locking balls due to broken return spring.
1.jpg1.jpg

#548 8 years ago

9/9

TSPP ….Plunger due to spring retaining circlip/Eclip breaking and causing the spring to fly off!

After almost two years finally had time to organize the supply closet!

#549 8 years ago

9/10

Here is a written list of failures that I am presented with upon arrival .
The underlined are to be repaired within an hour as they are league machines.
There are of course things that were not on the list as they came up after.
The list is a new feature and one that I like as nothing gets missed.

1.jpg1.jpg

VND… Weak flippers due to a few reasons. Mostly EOS problems because of incorrect pawls or EOS switches themselves

Williams pawl in a Data East machine on the left side flipper. On the right side flipper was Williams EOS switch that was too long.

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

T2… Insert lamps in front of targets out due to wire fraying within IDC connector and backing out of "V" in the connector

Not sure if you can make it out but its the yellow wire in top slot.

4.jpg4.jpg

SM…. Left inlane switch not registering due to its actuator being below the playfield due to it getting caught up on the let flipper coil power wires.

Solution was to zip tie the wires back and away from the switch slot in the playfield.

5.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg

#551 8 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks for keeping this thread going Eddie. It's one of my favorite threads, even if I can't see what's wrong all the time due to my inexperience. I really enjoy seeing new posts.

I hope the thread is helpful as thats what it is for.

9/15

T2… Lamp row locked on and a few lamps not on the row.

This was an unusual issue as the Lamps in question remained on and solid in attract mode. Once the machine was put into lamp test mode they went out so they were not "Locked" on as you would expect from a shorted transistor.

In single lamp test however, one or more of the lamps, than the one being tested, would come on including lamps not in the row.

This led me to believe there was a bad diode or wire short and being that the lamps were insert lamps it was very easy to look for those
possible faults because the lamps are board mounted 555s.

I couldn't find any issues and decided since the CPU had a socketed U20 to try seeing if the 2803 was bad as well as U16-19 LM339s all socketed. Modern doesn't have logic probe.

Replaced all and no change.

I know that some prior Skull work was done by old or new tech just about a week ago. I figured it didn't hurt to remove it and see what was done as the Skulls eyes are in fact in the row of the lamps with the issue.

Upon removing the skull I was greeted by a wire harness with no less the three sets of splices done in a really bad way. They were also insulated with electrical tape and not heat shrink. The splices that were taped where then zip tied tightly to the point that the electrical tape was worn through where the splices met!!!!!!! Bingo shorted wires due to poor workmanship "Hmmm ring a bell?" The diode did test fine but it still had to go as it looked original and the leads looked like they were about to break anyway.

The harness was such a mess I just made a new one. I would have liked to have not used a splice but we have no tools for connector pin removal or for crimping much less have any pins on hand.

In this photo you can see the harness after I cut the connector off. There were three sets of splices on this one small harness that alone is asking for troubles.

2.jpg2.jpg

Here is a pic of the splice work. I can understand this from someone never working on wires Joe ,Jane average, but a Tech?

1.jpg1.jpg

Another view of the splice.

3.jpg3.jpg

The Western Union Splice is how it should be done and for those not familiar with it please Google it.

Here is a pic of my splice with new wires. Not the correct wire colors as we only have these two colors and its far from a perfect splice (The solder isn't Uniform but it does have full penetration. It also came too close to the insulation. It was done in the dark and I was being rushed for the league with the owner checking in as to when it will be ready. So Im not too happy with it.
4.jpg4.jpg

Here the harness is complete with one pair of splices Heat shrink , new diode and extended length of wire for ease of repair and removal in the future as you can pull the skull further away from the playfield to work on it without disconnecting the harness.

5.jpg5.jpg

BSD… False multi balls and and balls being ejected from the trough into the shooter lane. Due to a trough switch wire hanging by one strand
Hard to believe that the switch worked at all with only one strand making contact!

I need a better camera as my camera just doesnt do the correct job for the lighting. In the pic there appear to be the separate groups of wires coming from the vertical Yellow wire and the appear to be connected to the switch lug. In fact none are and the left "finger" has only one strand of wire that is still connected to the switch lug.

6.jpg6.jpg

#555 8 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

I was just there late last night after a work meeting and there were minimal issues if any on all of the machines I played. Had a great time! Thanks for having everything up and running. My first time playing TOM and Metallica.

20150915_225140.jpg

What were the issues and on what machines ? I will look into the issues tomorrow. I was there tonight working on Met and T2 and will post the work done tomorrow. I am aware of a lamp row out on TSPP and am awaiting transistors.

#557 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

What's the orange sega in that pic?

Viper Night Drivin

#561 8 years ago

9/16

MET…. Snake Hole not registering, Ball trough switch 3 and Mystery scoop registering intermittently the latter two are related.

Snake hole not working due to an internal switch break. The easiest way to remove the bad switch would be to remove the bracket from which it is mounted. The two lower bracket screws however were not budging and were on the verge of having their heads stripped. An impact driver would be needed to remove the screws without damage to them but we don't have an impact driver at Modern. The other alternative is to remove both an insert lamp and a flasher lamp in order to have access to the heads of the switch mounting screws. Once again had the screws been installed from the other side there would be clear and easy access.
2.jpg2.jpg

Note the new switch on the left as compared to the old broken one on the right. The old switch actuator has also seen better days.

1.jpg1.jpg

Ball trough switch 3 and the Mystery scoop switch are on the same column in the switch matrix so that was a clue as to what may be wrong. Its usually a daisy chained wire that has broken upstream. This was indeed the case but it took nearly 3 hrs to find the broken wire as it was making some contact once in a while throwing off the continuity tests. Turns out that the wire was the one coming from the Electric chair stand up target It was still soldered strongly to the switch lugs however it was broken inside the insulation just below where it was soldered to the lug. In the pic the break is the middle of the green wire that is still in the sleeve.
When testing sometimes it would just make contact leading to believe that the wire was intact.
This threw the search to all connectors, testing individual switches, diode replacement and uniting the wire harness to access and inspect all of the column and row wires!

A daisy chained wire coming off of a lug is usually easy to spot. The switch its connected to would have only one row and one column wire on it.
The last switch in the Link is usually the only switch to have one row and one column wire.

To diagnose simply find the switches in the column or row with only one wire connected. Remember only one could be the last in the link
so look around each switch for the broken off wire, it may be hidden in the harness as it could be drawn into it from the released tension or blocked by an assembly.
You must look really close and everywhere don't be afraid to dig and use plenty of light.
If you don't find a wire then that switch is most likely the last in the link and the other switch is the one with the missing/broken off daisy wire. In this case it wasn't a missing or broken off daisy wire. It was a daisy wire that would test good and then bad with no obvious breaks showing.

I hate internal wire breaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.jpg3.jpg

#562 8 years ago

9/17

Transfomers….Torn ribbon cable in mini playfield took about an hour to replace it.
You must first figure how to lift the mini playfield because the ribbon connector is connected on a board on the underside of it.
The playfield required the removal of some plastics and the loosening of the right ramp and a ball guide.
No time for pics as Modern was busy with Super League players. Don't like the design as the ribbon cable is very prone to being either torn or disconnected from the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
276 posts in this topic match your search for posts by eddie. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eddie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails/page/1?tu=eddie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.