(Topic ID: 96270)

What failed today? Modern Pinball NYC Machine fails.

By Eddie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 650 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this Thread worth continuing?”

• Yes 141 votes
    94%
  • No 9 votes
    6%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 700 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg
1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg
1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
8.jpg
18.jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 3 years ago

And just at Expo, Steve was supposed to headline a seminar called “Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks: Making a Pinball-Only Arcade Work”. I guess the bloom is off the rose.

Sorry to hear about your situation and thank you for what has been an entertaining and informative thread.

#602 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about that Eddie.

Maybe Modern should move down to Freehold, NJ or somewhere around there.

There's next to no places to play any new Sterns in NJ and the rent will be a whole lot cheaper.

#603 3 years ago

bummer man, thanks for posting all the typical failures over the year(s) for us on the machines you kept dialed in!

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Eddie, I've been following this thread daily and have loved your posts! I will be in NYC staying at the Hyatt in a few weeks, which is near Modern. I was gonna stop in and play, but now I feel conflicted... Any other pinball places I should check out instead?

Tachose...Your sentiment is extremely Humbling and I thank you immensely, However please do not deprive yourself the pleasure of pinball on my account. Modern is very accessible from where you will be staying. If you want to take some time to venture further you may want to visit the Sunshine Laundry mat in GreenPoint Brooklyn as it houses many rare collector games that can be played. BBB,CC,AFM,SC and more!

#605 3 years ago

So Epstein brought in one of his old cronies from the Reagan era and let Eddie go?

Is the crony as old as Epstein?

Sounds like modern won't be around much longer. Their lineup continues to deteriorate as many of the better titles leave, and now the rest of the machines are going to go downhill FAST with a tech who hasn't been doing this for 25 years on the Job.

Modern has Been great for raising pinball's profile. Without Eddie and dahlia I can't see them making a run of it - their two biggest attractions were parties and pinball and both are gonna go south, fast.

If it's really true that they can't afford a quality tech like Eddie - and word on the street is he wasn't exactly being paid a generous salary - it's possible that it's just not a feasable business in 2015. Well see.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

WTF! Eddie, please start another thread in the future regarding your repairs. You know your pins. "Through chaos comes opportunity." Thank you for all your insights and pictorials. Keep doing good things. Ps. I noticed the buck on buck hunter wasn't registering earlier today and could only imagine that the machine must be a daunting task to fix at times.

I may come up with another form of this thread depending on the situation. As for the Buck hunter that a is an on-going issue ( I did post about the issue some time back with pics) The switch mech is worn to the point that contact can no longer be made consistently. New parts for the most are non -existent as Stern lost track of them during their move. If you own a BH I would suggest placing an order now as sometime in the future they may find their stock of the required parts. Removal is very easy once you know how its done. The first time was very perplexing to me but now I can remove the buck and get to the switch in around 3 -4 mins tops.

#607 3 years ago

Bummer. Might be better for you in the long run though. Not worth the stress to be fighting an uphill battle constantly.

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So Epstein brought in one of his old cronies from the Reagan era and let Eddie go?
Is the crony as old as Epstein?
Sounds like modern won't be around much longer. Their lineup continues to deteriorate as many of the better titles leave, and now the rest of the machines are going to go downhill FAST with a tech who hasn't been doing this for 25 years on the Job.
Modern has Been great for raising pinball's profile. Without Eddie and dahlia I can't see them making a run of it - their two biggest attractions were parties and pinball and both are gonna go south, fast.
If it's really true that they can't afford a quality tech like Eddie - and word on the street is he wasn't exactly being paid a generous salary - it's possible that it's just not a feasable business in 2015. Well see.

Levi is another person responsible for the rise of Pinball in NYC as he was the forerunner of all that is Pinball in NYC with his Crazy Levi Pinball store and dare I say cult pinball classic YT video of said shop. Levi I have a very deep respect for you and want to thank you for your post on this matter.

#609 3 years ago

I want modern to succeed. Modern has been good for me. I've sold many machines because people were turned into the idea of owning a game from their experiences at modern.

But they have made some head shaking moves, first hiring a bargain basement tech who was in way over his head, and now this. Skimping on maintainance is gonna be disastrous, and the parties are thier bread and butter. Don't understand why they'd do this unless they really having trouble making the rent.

#610 3 years ago

Eddie I never met you but always immensely enjoyed and appreciated your zen-like calm while you quickly fixed all the broken machines ten minutes before league play. Definitely not going to be the same without you there and very disheartening to hear things worked out the way they did. Being new to the the hobby this thread has been a tremendous help and inspiration for maintaining my machines, thanks so much for doing this and I hope you can find a way to continue documenting your fixes as they definitely make things a little less intimidating for me when it comes time to rip things apart and put them back together. Cheers and thank you!

#611 3 years ago

May this unexpected turn of events lead to something much better, Eddie. Thank you for sharing your insights on this thread and elsewhere. Hope you find an employer who appreciates your considerable talents and pays you accordingly.

#612 3 years ago

Super bummer they let you go Eddie. I enjoyed your posts and learned some stuff too. Hope something better comes your way very soon!

#613 3 years ago

Next thread in 6 months "anyone been to modern lately, its really gone down hill"

#614 3 years ago

my pinball magic failed today. Went to go play a game, and I get the warning beeps. Seems my optos are failing for the stage. Keeps wanting to eject a ball that's not there. Thing is, I just replaced those a couple of months ago. Don't know how they are out again. maybe they are misaligned.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

And just at Expo, Steve was supposed to headline a seminar called “Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks: Making a Pinball-Only Arcade Work”. I guess the bloom is off the rose.
Sorry to hear about your situation and thank you for what has been an entertaining and informative thread.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2015/davidandroger.mp3

#616 3 years ago

By far my favorite thread. Thank you for your time and effort and all the help you provide our community. Modern will be shitting there pants soon enough. I wish you nothing but the best. Thanks again
Harley D.

#617 3 years ago

Really sorry to see this thread end.. Eddie, I've learned a tremendous amount "watching" you work and really appreciate your expertise. Now where will I go every few days to get my pinball repair fix?

#618 3 years ago

Eddie, this has been one of my favorite threads. Sorry to hear you were let go.

#619 3 years ago

Regarding the Modern Pinball seminar at the 2015 Expo; Although Steve had to fly back home for a family emergency, Roger & Dave presented with no mention of storm clouds on the horizon. What a difference two weeks makes, eh?

#620 3 years ago

Wow, what a bummer. Eddie, huge thanks for keeping this thread going. We have about 15 games on route and I have read through every post you've made on here. It's definitely helped troubleshooting some strange issues we've encountered and also made me aware of what I should keep my eyes open for. Again - thanks for keeping Modern going as long as you did and sharing your experiences.

#621 3 years ago

Don't feel bad, Eddie. TigerLaw just posted a pic from there, and it's closed now because all the machines are busted.

#622 3 years ago

Yea, not sure why it was closed last night. I think it was around 11:30 pm or so that we went by.

image.jpg

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, not sure why it was closed last night. I think it was around 11:30 pm or so that we went by.
image.jpg

Never has Modern been closed that early since day 1!

#624 3 years ago

Just another voice in the chorus - this thread has been fantastic and a constant source of learning for me, particularly as a newbie. Through his many posts, Eddie really demonstrated his smarts, skill, and enthusiasm for pinball repair, and it's galling that Modern Pinball would let such an incredible asset like Eddie go. I love Modern Pinball and have spent many happy hours there, but I worry about the future condition of the games and the business itself without Eddie making sure the games are all in tip-top shape.

All the best to you, Eddie, and thanks again for your illuminating posts. Please post here if you wind up putting together a pinball repair blog - I'd subscribe in a second.

#625 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

image.jpg

Modern Pinball FB group mentioned a private event that started at 7PM that night.

#626 3 years ago

Eddie - Thanks for all your posts and your hard work and dedication.
You really helped show how much work it takes to keep pinball running well on location.

Keep posting (new thread, whatever), we'd love to hear more from you!

#627 3 years ago

Lame! I have enjoyed your posts Eddie and wish you the best of luck. They might come around after seeing the collection go down hill.

-c

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

They might come around after seeing the collection go down hill.

Unless history is repeating itself.

LTG : )™

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unless history is repeating itself.
LTG : )™

Restraunts do this all the time. "hey lets cut costs" and then they cut the quality of the food/service and nobody goes anymore. There are other ways to make things cheaper/cut overhead costs/add revenue but places usually blindly attack things that are the reason that people go there in the first place.

Again, I'm not from NYC and honestly don't even go out that much, so what do i know.

-c

#630 3 years ago

Just spitballing, but maybe you could use those available hours to become a FaceTime pinball trouble shooter. You could help newbs and old hands alike diagnose & fix issues remotely, charge by the length of the consultation, and post some of the good bits in a new thread. I'll miss this one!

#631 3 years ago

A modern pinball catastrophe. Hope they can stay afloat and maintain game quality without you. Hope you find a good place for your talents. This is disheartening news.

#632 3 years ago

Thanks for this thread Eddie. Really, really great stuff and true selfless giving back to all of us. All the best.

#633 3 years ago

My final beating of this horse as I need to vent with people that may understand better than anyone. The followers of this thread.

I was much more than just an employee that was working at MPNYC. The entire concept of MPNYC was born through Al Cihak (Pinaholic) owner of the machines. Steve Epstein and Myself. Very early on I was helping to source a location for the New Pinball venue.

Once things were in the works Mr Epstein came to my house along with Al to discuss the fact that a place had been confirmed and a new partner was now in the mix Steve Zahler and that I was requested to be the Tech.

The agreement made was that I was to be the sole tech with complete control of that aspect.

The place was to be a Pinball Museum to skirt Zoning laws and not an Arcade.

Al had enough machines to provide to the new venue but they needed to be restored as they were taken off of location or out of storage.

Understanding that the machines were going to be in a Museum setting I knew that they had to be near perfect in appearance and perfect in play.

I started the restoration 6 months prior to the opening, working through the weekends and taking vacation time from my other job at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to meet the goal of having machines ready for the opening date. for 6 months I worked from 5 in the morning until 2-3 am. 7 days a week.

I did all of the restorations for less than a quarter of the work value for the love of Pinball and the thought of working on such an exciting project and for such an Icon as Steve Epstein.

I helped with the facility in the final weeks getting it ready and setting up the machines for no pay.

I helped to install things that the owners did not know how to do. I even purchased a carpet cleaner and door signs out of my pocket

I could go on and on.

The first month or so things ran fine in the repair dept as the machines were all fresh and I was the lone tech.

Then they hired the other guy and that was the start of the turmoil. Just a small fraction of that is well known to you guys from this thread.

Modern only has a Staff of 4, 2 techs and 2 staff members. One of the staff members constantly curses and swears at customers and throws them out.

The other tech (no longer at modern of just over a month ago due to wanting a hiatus and not let go as I was) not only destroyed machines as you are witness to but also fell down drunk at Modern in front of a little girl knocking over a garbage can in the process and remained on. This was within the first 3 months of his hire!

So now I am let go because, I was told" We haven't been making money in the last 5 weeks" Ironically that is the same time Mr Epstein hired his old tech from the Broadway Arcade. Is there something Im not seeing?

I put my heart and soul into that place I wasn't just a hired Tech.

I guess I have vented and most certainly this is not the venue so I do apologize for that.

I will however begin a new thread of failures out on location. I do think there should be a huge difference as the machines on location don't get a 10th the play that the machines at Modern get so a repair should stay repaired for a much longer time but then again Pinball is Pinball LOL

Ill let it be known that Al Cihak the machines owner and Alberto Santana one of the Staff members are the real reason that Modern became the Pinball Venue Icon that it has become.

Without those 2 there is no Modern its that simple. They deserve the recognition that they never get in any interview or review of Modern.

The 2 Steves take all of the credit.

Setting up 4 days prior for no pay
891980_10201367006791111_968546298_o.jpg

More prep and no pay

1402362_10201367040431952_1562673221_o.jpg

Night before opening all machines set up and in fantastic condition I was proud of the accomplishment

1379235_10201256300783799_142856395_n.jpg

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

hired his old tech from the Broadway Arcade

Quoted from Eddie:

Is there something Im not seeing?

Yes. History repeating itself.

Still on RGP. Very old posts from the early PAPA days and games at broadway arcade.

LTG : )

#635 3 years ago

Every time I'm in Manhattan I want to stop by Modern, but I'm usually there for business with a packed schedule and never seem to make it. Not really feeling motivated to try now.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Regarding the Modern Pinball seminar at the 2015 Expo; Although Steve had to fly back home for a family emergency, Roger & Dave presented with no mention of storm clouds on the horizon. What a difference two weeks makes, eh?

I guess I now have an inclination as to how the Williams employees felt!

#637 3 years ago

This really is some BS! Thinking out loud, I wonder if Steve and company was reading this thread not liking the comments about the other tech? I just can't understand why they would let you go with your skills/passion and if you were doing things for free or close to free. Kinda ironic during the Modern Pinball seminar was a comment that they said about not making it about the money cause that can ruin things/relationships. Hard to understand about them not making any money. If you were in there and it was dead each time you were there then it might make sense, but if it was busy every night ?

After seeing your thread I really liked it and started one also last year but I haven't kept up on it, and I may start that up again since this one will not be updated anymore - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-at-up-down-barcade#post-2049257

#638 3 years ago

Hope you land on your feet. Your statement about Steve being an icon reminds me of how it's better to never meet (or work) with one's heroes.

#639 3 years ago

Raw deal, Eddie. Thank you for this thread and all you've done for pinball and for us. Very sorry, buddy.

#640 3 years ago

How about starting a thread, "ask Eddie" for repair advice......

#641 3 years ago

I'm sure Ed will start a new thread or post his endeavors on " Pinball Repair Help group", an invaluable resource to me.

#642 3 years ago

Here's a better idea, Eddie: Just remove the word "machine" from the topic title. Then it'll bring the thread up to date.

#643 3 years ago

that sucks all around. When things start going downhill, they will realize the error of their ways.

#644 3 years ago

I was given your info by Francisco because I needed somebody to repair my pins. you came highly recommended. I contacted you over several weeks and not even a response. all I am saying, there are many people in tri state area that can use your expertise. I would have paid you what you asked to fix my walking dead le pin. don't understand why you would work for anybody for free. hell I still need some pins repaired and would pay for your services. good luck in your future endeavors don't look back, im me if your ever in my area I need a couple pins repaired. good luck!

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I was given your info by Francisco because I needed somebody to repair my pins. you came highly recommended. I contacted you over several weeks and not even a response. all I am saying, there are many people in tri state area that can use your expertise. I would have paid you what you asked to fix my Walking Dead le pin. don't understand why you would work for anybody for free. hell I still need some pins repaired and would pay for your services. good luck in your future endeavors don't look back, im me if your ever in my area I need a couple pins repaired. good luck!

If I did not reply to any messages that is not acceptable and I apologize. I do not work that way wether for business or personal.

If you were aware of my phone situation you may have a better understanding again no real excuse.

Between two jobs and the restorations for clients on the weekends I really wouldn't have had the time for house calls and would have relayed that message to you.

I am now more available and will have to consider home repairs and what that will entail.

More irony is that Francesco is one of the possible contributors to me being let go.

I do not "work for Free" I worked for locations throughout the city that were owned by friends for no charge to help to get Pinball to grow in the city. I helped Modern to get started at least with some facility work, for free and with the themed B-Day parties again to help promote Modern and to get it established as a party Venue and to increase revenue.
With one exception I have done a few minor repairs at Rock Fantasy in Middletown for free as the owner is my friend and sometimes machines go down during tournaments that he holds and I participate in. If a machine goes down while there I will fix it.

Once again I apologize if I had not returned any messages you are more than welcome to Kick me if we ever meet.

3 months later
#646 3 years ago

Are they getting the Hobbit?

#647 3 years ago

He doesn't know because he doesn't work there anymore.

#648 3 years ago

I miss this thread.

1 week later
#650 3 years ago

Ed live's, and should be posting his pinball fails again. They just won't be from Modern. He has generously been helping a few small time ops, so that NYC players can always play working , tuned and clean pinball machines at their best. One of the places is a the Local Hostel, a Hotel / Hostel where POTC and ST Pro stand proudly in their bar / lobby area. Finally a cheaper new hotel with pinballs. It is near the 59th Street Bridge and close to multiple subway lines. God bless Eddie, and MPGA!
Al

20160203_123336_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Spring , TX
$ 47.00
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Clara, CA
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 224.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside