(Topic ID: 143456)

What Failed today? Location Machine Fails.

By Eddie

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
23.jpg
22.jpg
21a.jpg
21.jpg
20.jpg
20a.jpg
17.jpg
13.jpg
#1 8 years ago

First post on a new thread.

For those not familiar with my old thread with a similar title this thread is to help show owners of machines what can go wrong ,what to look out for and possibly help to solve and repair an issue.

Will be working on location machines part time for an operator that chooses to remain anonymous.

There will be many machines covered as his route contains nearly 60+ machines and they rotate and get updated as new machines are added.

Went on one location visit to get familiarization with the establishment and machines. It was not a service call per say as much as orientation.

Did not have tools or camera on hand. the operator did have tools that he had me use.

One huge difference working on location machines that I forgot about was that you have to be very vigil about staying close to an open machine not only for possible patrons injuries and or accidents but because there is money in the coin door and there are cash boxes filled with coins. Leave a tool in the car make sure you close up the machine before you try to retrieve it. No I did not do that I'm just stating an extra step required while working out on location.

11/3

X Men…. Trough VUK due to wire detaching from coil Lug.

SM…. Lamp out due to coming loose in socket it was a #44 bulb not an LED.

RS… Bill acceptor never had ground wire attached to ground.

and so it begins…………………………………………….

#2 8 years ago

Nice to see this new thread. Congrats on finding new work.

#3 8 years ago

11/4

Sopranos.. Trunk not activating due to wire coming off of left switch lug.

2.jpg2.jpg

Ball Hops due to Drop target down position being out of adjustment.

The Drop target remained about an 8th of an inch above the playfield in its down position.

A height adjustment screw is located on the bottom of the assembly as it is for I believe most drop target assemblies.

You want to adjust the height of the top of the target so that it is as flush as possible with the playfield surface.

Too High and you get ball hops or odd deflections too low and you can get stuck balls in the drop target channel.

Here I am pointing to the height adjustmeant screw it is the one with the Hex Head.

Turn it clockwise to raise the target in its resting position and counter clockwise to lower it in its resting position.

4.jpg4.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Thank you for your triumphant return !

LTG : )

#5 8 years ago

So good to read a positive and informative thread wish you the best Eddy.
Harley D.

#6 8 years ago

Glad you are back!

#7 8 years ago

Awesome - welcome back! Definitely different working on them on location with cash in the coinbox.

#8 8 years ago

Glad your talents are being put to good use again! I look forward to the thread!

#9 8 years ago

11/5

Sorry no time for pics

RIBON… VUK due to switch actuator being deformed from ball strikes. Readjusting it was all that was required.

SM… Changed insert lamps to LEDs cleaned the playfield up and tuned it. Location owner after playing it said "This really rips now:

RS….. Display letters cut off on the bottom of display. Vertical adj on the Color DMD was too low. A few second adjustment with the menu buttons set the correct height.

#10 8 years ago

If you don't mind others pitching in I help run a route of about 12 games. Why did the ball get stuck on top of the bumper on LW3? Meh, probably just a skirt switch adjustment. One ball search later I see this, look at the targets, and can't believe I didn't notice sooner.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#11 8 years ago

11/10

Have to remember to take camera from the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CFTBL.. Both EOS switches out due to a wire coming off of each of their lugs.

Left Flipper stuck up..... Due to return spring breaking at one end. Knowing how to repair a spring when you dont have a replacement in the field is priceless . If I had the camera I would have shown the steps involved. The Spring will be a tiny bit shorter and may have more tension
when done. Just something to think about for its application.

Breaking flipper rubbers replaced with Titan rubbers. I like Titan for rings but for Flippers I prefer Super Bands.

The machines owner just goes with Titan all around.

Ball guide loose.... Due to screws coming loose in playfield. Required the removal of some plastics to get access to them.

Many loose assembly fasteners.

Very dirty playfield cleaned with Novus 2 and followed with Brillianeze.

#12 8 years ago

Glad you are back!

#13 8 years ago

11/11

Failed to take camera again. I guess after hunting for a parking spot for well over an hour it was easy to forget.

TZ…. Both Eos Switches out due to wire coming off one lug . IF I am correct that is 2 location machines so far with non functioning EOS switches with the cause being a wire or wires coming off of a lug . I will have to look into what the cause of this is.

Proximity board …due to it being installed with the board connector on the wrong side from the MFG. Causing trough switch actuator to catch on it and hang up. This also caused the board to be mounted to far from the ball in the trough to register correctly.

I went into detail about the new proximity boards with the backwards connectors on my What failed Modern thread. Post # 151 then later on in the same page.

ST LE loose fasteners throughout.

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Haven't been keeping up as I am still trying to figure the best way to have things set up for location work. I did manage to get a few pics in

but nothing really interesting.

There is no time line of this and last weeks work but I will try to get it more together soon and post as I have in the past.

Wh20…….. 1 Eos wire off of 2 different switches. 1 coil wire off of 4 different coils. One switch out of adjustment and one opto pair too dirty to function. One Lock light out due to loose 555 socket.

1 of four coils with a wire off . Whats with the pink tape hack?
1.jpg1.jpg

1 of two eos switches with a wire off and this one is from the upper playfield.

6.jpg6.jpg

Disaster drop opto pair best way to clean is to remove rom playfield.

8.jpg8.jpg

Jet arena switch out of adjustment

Its the switch going up through the playfield to the right of the pop bumpers under a mountain.

9.jpg9.jpg

TZ …...filthy subway. One wire from 2 coils off,

Clean those subways!!!!!!!!

3.jpg3.jpg

Subway removed shows embedded dirt on the underside of the playfield. On location just wipe off as much as possible with alcohol and rags. In the shop sand this off with fine sand paper 800 grit is good.

4.jpg4.jpg

Here the subway is cleaned as best as could be on location with Novus 2 and Brillieaneze follow up.

5.jpg5.jpg

ST Stern dirty playfield and loose fasteners

Wrestle mania dirty playfield and loose fasteners.

#15 8 years ago

This issue was really from Tues of last week but I didn't mention it as I knew I would have to do the repair in my shop over the weekend.

I could also take some pics.

Bally Playboy, Failed Power supply due to to dead Bridge Rectifiers. Not shorted but non conducting internally.

I took the unit out of the machine and brought it to my shop for proper repair.

The machines owner had a new Rotten Dog replacement board so I simply installed that and decided to rebuild the old one for the owner to use as a spare.

In the process of installing the new board it was apparent that the old wires had to be cut back close to 3/4 of an inch to get fresh copper
as there was wire corrosion from years in the elements. Ideally new wires all around is the way to go. I don't have matching colored wire on hand and it wouldn't be cost effective to order all the different types for just this one job.

Here is the Unit from the machine

2.jpg2.jpg

Close up of the failed board and burned header pins.

1.jpg1.jpg

Rotten Dog replacement board. I think replacing the old boards with new is really the best way to go.

3.jpg3.jpg

Solder side of old board note the odd electrical tape insulation.

4.jpg4.jpg

Another shot and you can see the state of the board. Its dirty covered in Nicotine stains and uncleaned flux.

5.jpg5.jpg

Some pics of the wiring connections and the state they are in.
8.jpg8.jpg7.jpg7.jpg6.jpg6.jpg

#16 8 years ago

More pics of the solder side just for those that may be curious. The wire insulation is so old that all measures to clean them did little.

I used the wire insulation closer to the transformer that was still vibrant to properly ID the color code.

10.jpg10.jpg9.jpg9.jpg

First thing was to take the unit apart and clean and polish the base. I did not remove the transformer as this wasnt a restoration.
I installed new PCB standoffs as there was only one fairly good original the others had melted!

12.jpg12.jpg

I didn't get to take pics of the reassembly procedure but this is the result. Had it been a restoration I would have painted and polished the transformer housing as well

14.jpg14.jpg13.jpg13.jpg

Here are the 2 failed Bridges.

15.jpg15.jpg

The bridges were removed from here but now everything will be removed for a rebuild.

16.jpg16.jpg

#17 8 years ago

17.jpg17.jpg

Here is the old board bare of components with the test point loops remaining.20.jpg20.jpg

20a.jpg20a.jpg

Board after initial cleaning

21.jpg21.jpg

Solderside before

21a.jpg21a.jpg

After initial cleaning

22.jpg22.jpg

Test loops cleaned of old corrosion

23.jpg23.jpg

Just awaiting the components and the reassembly can begin.

The Power supply will be installed back into the Playboy and new Molex connecters will have to be installed in the machine while on location. Rebuilding the power supply on location would have been possible sure but would never have been done properly without the correct tools and lighting. Everything needed to be cleaned up from old tar and nicotine to old flux. It is a job that you just don't do on location the right way.

3 weeks later
#18 8 years ago

Yes I know its been awhile since I have posted here but damn Location work in NYC is rough and leaves little time to take pics etc.

Anyway thought I would at least share my new Location caddy set up that I have finally found to take care of up to 90% of field issues and its light weight. Along with the caddy I also bring a back pack for nothing but cleaning supplies. IE Windex with vinegar, Novus 2,Brillianeze and Chamois cloths. All go in a small tupperware style box for ease on location.

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

5.jpg5.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

6.jpg6.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Who has PCB board standoffs? I have a few early 80's Bally's which need replacing.

5 months later
#21 7 years ago

Bump in hopes of encouraging this thread to stay alive

#22 7 years ago

After 6 hours on Friday of reviving a WCS, rebuilding 2 WW flippers and messing (for 2 hours) with my GNFNR shooter coil I was ready to relax and drink some tequila and then...
-Dude "hey the shooter gun thing isnt working on lethal weapon."
-Me "let's take a peek"
My picture relays my frustration. Bracket was toast and parts lay in the cabinet.
Drop playfield, glass on, back away quietly (homer style) to the tequila fountain.
"I'm getting to old for this shit."

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#23 7 years ago

Pic says it all!

9_(resized).jpg9_(resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Pic says it all!

Crap.

LTG : (

#25 7 years ago

Sucks!

#26 7 years ago

Why??????? lowlives...........

#27 7 years ago

Nice! Where can I get this mod?

#28 7 years ago

First WOZ I've seen at .50 per play

#29 7 years ago

Took a good 1/2 hour using alcohol and a lot of clean microfibre cloths to get it off.

After it was removed I could see that it had left its shadow in the clear coat.

I figured not much too lose so I tried novus2 to see if it would polish it out and boom shadow is gone.

The lockdown bar looks like new again all shiny too.

The cloths look like I bled all over them as they were saturated.

#30 7 years ago

curious, what location did this happen at?

Does your contract put liability on bar owner for this?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, what location did this happen at?
Does your contract put liability on bar owner for this?

I am not the operator I just repair his machines. The operator Al Cihak (Pinaholic) has machines on location throughout NYC I tech for him 3 nights a week. This location is in Bushwick, Brooklyn and it has four machines in the line up.

#32 7 years ago

I used to fix payphones and graffiti on the outdoor locations was a major PITA. I hope that they do not tag the game again That sucks to see that happen on a pinball machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 16.95
$ 22.50
$ 65.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-location-machine-fails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.