(Topic ID: 63736)

What F-14 Mods would you recommend and where to get them...

By DrPinball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN0795.JPG
DSCN0793.JPG
DSCN0785.JPG
blackdone.jpg
DSC_1102.JPG
DSC_1100.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
f-14_playfield_from_flippers.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have asked this question before, but didn't get any responses. Not much love for F14 that day - then again it was the day the Star Trek talk took over the forum. However, my F14 is never going to leave my collection. But I would like to dress it up a bit. I have tried to find the diverter sticker with no success. Anything else you all might recommend. Thanks for your input.

#2 5 years ago

The sticker you are looking for is usually on eBay just keep checking there good luck with the mod search

#3 5 years ago

I would pimp it hard with LED's....add target stickers, add the diverter sticker, and if you are so inclined, add the 2 flashers that were deleted in production. If your plastics are nice, you may want to consider plastic protectors. I even picked up the playfield protector for mine. Some dudes have added jet toys to the playfield as well.

I have not installed the diverter sticker yet and may consider not installing it/selling it.

There is a ton of love for F-14 here on the board...Its a great game.

f-14_playfield_from_flippers.jpg

#4 5 years ago

Since the game is kind of lacking when it comes to flashers and light show (bazinga) I added the two under the red domes near the upper targets that are missing from all but the earliest games. It really does make a difference when you earn that multiball... The light show 'flows' in a more pleasing way.

Instructions on how to do this are available in video form via google search.

#5 5 years ago

adding to Tamoore's post....here the vid

#6 5 years ago

The jet toys are from walmart. Look for hotwings, or matchbox. I sold my f14 with all the toys. The diverter sticker is made by a guy in Quebec I think he just sold out of the 3rd production run, wait and keep looking. The target explosion stickers that I found were also ebay, think from Texas or Florida. Colour match LEDs to the inserts. The blue really pops then. I also bought a "playfield protector". It really looks amazing and it lays flat over raised inserts, well worth the cost

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The jet toys are from walmart. Look for hotwings, or matchbox. I sold my f14 with all the toys. The diverter sticker is made by a guy in Quebec I think he just sold out of the 3rd production run, wait and keep looking. The target explosion stickers that I found were also ebay, think from Texas or Florida. Colour match LEDs to the inserts. The blue really pops then. I also bought a "playfield protector". It really looks amazing and it lays flat over raised inserts, well worth the cost

Whoa. You have rubber between the upper playfield targets? Mine only has a wire guard.... Hmmm.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from DrPinball:

I have asked this question before, but didn't get any responses. Not much love for F14 that day - then again it was the day the Star Trek talk took over the forum. However, my F14 is never going to leave my collection. But I would like to dress it up a bit. I have tried to find the diverter sticker with no success. Anything else you all might recommend. Thanks for your input.

I put blue LEDs on right side if upper PF and red all in the left. Looks wicked.

Not so sure about adding jets. But I'm considering it.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The jet toys are from walmart

I added a jet toy similar to yours but I drilled out the back 2 exhaust ports and added 2 LED lights. I then tied the 2 LEDs into the beacon lights. So when the top beacon lights come on they light up the LEDs in the toy jet. I also added the 2 missing flashers back into the game. I think that is the best mod you can do to it.

#10 5 years ago

Lighted red flipper buttons look great on f-14.

#11 5 years ago

You can also throw an LED under the apron, white is show in the pics, but red looks really great too. plus it only costs about 5$

DSC_1100.JPG DSC_1102.JPG

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

I added a jet toy similar to yours but I drilled out the back 2 exhaust ports and added 2 LED lights. I then tied the 2 LEDs into the beacon lights. So when the top beacon lights come on they light up the LEDs in the toy jet. I also added the 2 missing flashers back into the game. I think that is the best mod you can do to it.

Stop the presses. Can you give more specifics? What model? Where did you mount it? Instructions on how to tie it in.

Pictures?

#13 5 years ago

I pulled the incandescent bulbs from my coin slots, and put red LED's. They look much better. I also put a super F'ing bright red LED under the normally white center "kill" insert. That insert only flashes for a sec when the ball goes down the inlane, and those 2 targets are a violent "sucker shot". I think it has good effect. Also this isn't really a "mod" but I pulled off the factory mylar, put down some carnuba wax, set the pitch high, and rebuilt the lower flippers, and wow is this game fast. Some guy was telling me, "I've played several brand new F-14s back in the day, and none of them played nearly this fast!" This guy does set all his machines up flat, with approximately 0 degrees of pitch, though.

I'm going to order a couple #89 sockets and add those 2 flashers, that seems like a good mod.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Stop the presses. Can you give more specifics? What model? Where did you mount it? Instructions on how to tie it in.

Pictures?

I'll find the model when I get home tonight and post some pictures. But I had to drill out the exhaust and mount LED's in it. I then ran the wires to the beacon and put a resistor on the wires to reduce the voltage. I'll get more info and pics tonight when I get home but looks very cool when the beacons light up and it turns on the LEDs.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Pictures?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-sticker-mod-not-mine

Check halfway down page one. I tricked out my F-14 last year with the decal, jets, LEDs, etc and attached a write-up. It's a killer game - great bang for the buck.

#16 5 years ago

Just want mine back together. Just finished with the black touchup. Next is red

blackdone.jpg

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Since the game is kind of lacking when it comes to flashers and light show (bazinga) I added the two under the red domes near the upper targets that are missing from all but the earliest games. It really does make a difference when you earn that multiball... The light show 'flows' in a more pleasing way.

How easy was this to do?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

How easy was this to do?

I did it. I think it took about an hour. Not hard at all and well worth it.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Just want mine back together. Just finished with the black touchup. Next is red

Looking great so far.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

How easy was this to do?

About six dollars worth of parts, and an hour of time. I'd say if you can solder a wire back on a coil lug, you have the skills required to do this.

#21 5 years ago

Pictures?

Here are pics of what I did. The 1st pic is the jet when the beacon is lit. To hook to the beacon I broke off a piece of a paper clip and attached the wire to that. I then stuffed it in the back of the connector for the beacon. That way if someone wants to undo it they can just remove the tape and the paper clip part will just slide right out. You can also see a black circle. That is the resistor with electrical tape on it. The 3rd pic is the plane I bought. I got it on line somewhere but don't remember the site. That is an extra one I bought in case I messed up the 1st one.

DSCN0785.JPG DSCN0793.JPG DSCN0795.JPG

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

it's seizure robot fun

3 weeks later
#23 5 years ago

Wow! Some great ideas here. These look really good guys. Can't wait to finish mine and add some of these mods. Missing flashers for sure, and I really like the jet w/ leds. Nice work all.

Mike

2 years later
#24 3 years ago

Would like to "bump" this thread. Hopefully you creative brains have more idea's now

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from sandeman:

Would like to "bump" this thread. Hopefully you creative brains have more idea's now

Checkout all the LED strips I added that are wired to all 10 flasher circuits. That description starts at about the 23:44 mark of this video. (The same video that you commented on.) I had help with how to connect these to the flasher boards from "Grumpy". [Gotta give credit where it is due.]

#26 3 years ago

Here is what I did a couple years ago. Similar to one above but I modified the exhaust nozzles.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-airplane-and-afterburner-mod

#27 3 years ago

I will be making transparent blue, transparent red and clear ramps for F-14.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
€ 3.70
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside