(Topic ID: 245576)

What ever happened to the original silk screens?

By hazmat7719

30 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by wtatumjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 30 days ago

Does anyone here know what happened to the original silk screens that were used on the play fields and back glass? Have any ever been for sale? Were they just thrown out as soon as the game was out of production?

#2 30 days ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

Does anyone here know what happened to the original silk screens that were used on the play fields and back glass? Have any ever been for sale? Were they just thrown out as soon as the game was out of production?

I took a class on screen printing once. Screens are re-usable. We cleared ours (with nasty chemicals) after our project was done.

#3 30 days ago

Most of the screens were either taken home, tossed, or purposely destroyed.
    If archived, or sold, the holders of the IP have them or want them. To get access
    to them is like pulling teeth and requiring money. If you can't pay/lay or say the
    right words you have no chance of access to them. Pinball IP folks are a funky and
    at times greedy breed. Just gotta love the hobby, and enjoy what you have, in the
    crappy condition or not your games are in, or payola to find/get/secure the rights
    to do what you want with the IP. Or, pray tell, pirate it as some have done.

#4 30 days ago

Screen printing mesh is pretty fragile once it's been stretched onto a frame and any little doink will tear a hole in it. Most likely those screens are lonnnnng gone. As long as you have the artwork films it doesn't matter though; you can just burn a new set of screens.

#5 30 days ago

I feel like CPR has said that sometimes they use the original screens

#6 30 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I feel like CPR has said that sometimes they use the original screens

Maybe the original Mylar films. I have seen some from Data East at a show
    many years ago.

#7 29 days ago

Yep, they have or have access to some of the surviving films for masking the screens.

#8 29 days ago

The company that made playfieilds for Gottlieb had a large fire around 1958 and lost all the screens for all playfields made before 1958. IPB, Gene, had all the TAG playfield screens when he purchased Bally/Williams but due to poor storage conditions most of the TAG stuff is gone now.

#9 29 days ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

Steve Young told me that everybody wondered that when the Gottlieb assets were for sale...but they were nowhere to be found. So it's a mystery...either destroyed of thrown away or someone took the home and maybe they still exist. But unlikely...

And that's JUST the GTB stuff...

#10 29 days ago

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far. I once managed a company where we had a division that did silk screening on metal plates and understand the storage/use. We kept some screens for 10+ years and had roughly 1000 on file for various customers. I started this thread because I am generally interested in what happened to them. I suspect that they were treated as short use "tools" and discarded within a year of production with no thought of future support since most games were parted out and junked.

#11 29 days ago

I worked for a silk screen company years ago and we normally reused the screens to save costs. The stencil was water based, kind of like a gel so I doubt you could save them too long as they would become brittle. In fact sometimes a stencil piece would flake off and we would repair with a water based goo and a small brush. At the end of a run the paint would be cleaned with Ketone. Then the cleaned screen would be set in a tub and water power washed to remove the stencil. We did save a few screens for a few years for repeat runs like "Virginia is for Lovers" but in the 70's we mostly used a photographic stencil maker so you could just reshoot a new one and not tie up the screen and frame.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 87.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 17.00
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 50.00
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside