Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SunKing
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Ive taken a break from pinball for a while and dove right back into it. Just curious what happened to pinrepairs guides? Ive also noticed the pinball ninjas gone...?

#2 11 years ago

It's a loooooooooooooong story.

#3 11 years ago

I have all day!

#4 11 years ago

I too would like to know. Maybe Cliff Notes version?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from justjoe:

Ive also noticed the pinball ninjas gone.

The PinballNinja is still around and still going with more fixes and videos too.
    Make a 20 dollar or more donation to [email protected] and Clay will send you a username and a password to access the site.Don't miss it,It's worth every cent.

Quoted from gweempose:

It's a loooooooooooooong story.

Yes it is a long story but Clay is on Pinside that's the great news about it.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

I too would like to know. Maybe Cliff Notes version?

You can catch up on all that on the backlogs on RGP.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the info pinmike. Just made a donation!

#9 11 years ago

One of the true tragedies in our hobby.I blame certain members of the RGP,but that's just my take.Others feel it's Clay's selfishness but I disagree.It pretty much soured me on RGP because it showed a real lack of community.If it was up to Clay it would be a 10 dollar donation to PPM.He got so much flak from certain members of RGP screaming copyright infringement and what not that he said screw it and just took them offline.
    Big picture:the availability of the guides.Online,CD,Book,Papyrus...just available
    Small picture:copyright infringement,ego
    I would love to see a petition:10 bucks or not at all.I bet the 10 dollar option is the winner.Scott

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

Thanks for the info pinmike. Just made a donation!

Your welcome,PinballNinja is a great site and so much info and very well documented,Clay is great at what he does and you can learn a lot from him.His Guides are why majority of games are still around for us to play and enjoy.

#11 11 years ago

Yep, thats a loooong story! I wonder if they have the originals on pdf or something? Im not one to sit and watch movies.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #13 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

One of the true tragedies in our hobby.I blame certain members of the RGP,

+1 on that.

Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Others feel it's Clay's selfishness but I disagree.

Clay is not and remember his guides were up on the net for over ten years on his own dime.That is not a selfish person in my book.Clay is a great guy and can never be thanked enough for his info and the love for this hobby.

#15 11 years ago

He did have a Great review of AC/DC pin on his PinballNinja Site filled with great info about the game.Pros and cons.

#16 11 years ago

maf-mi,Where did the pic go?

#17 11 years ago

Pinwiki is one site (among others) working on filling the void left by those guides.

http://www.pinwiki.com

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from williams:

Pinwiki is one site (among others) working on filling the void left by those guides.
    http://www.pinwiki.com

Hopefully,But won't be anywhere near the Pinrepair guides besides Clay is working on his own/new guides.Have you checked out his new system one repair guide...Now,That's the way it should be done!!

No offense to Pinwiki...

#19 11 years ago

People should have faith.. I don't think Pinrepair is gone for good. Clay has done way too much for the community. But yea, paypal him some cash and you get access to his ninja site which is another valuable resource.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Have you checked out his new system one repair guide...

Nope and never will..

Jim

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I can see Clay's side, and I can see the other contributors' side too.
    You can just download the pinrepair as it was last seen here :

I'm not going to tell people what they can and cannot post, but I don't think it's right, nor legal to post links to peoples' copyrighted material that is being illegally downloaded. People posting links like that is one reason why Clay probably isn't putting his guides online. He's gone through most of them and made them even better, but if people are not going to respect the time and effort he's put into them, why bother?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

People should have faith.. I don't think Pinrepair is gone for good. Clay has done way too much for the community. But yea, paypal him some cash and you get access to his ninja site which is another valuable resource.

People are just upset that the guides came down but Clay has his reasons and I don't blame him for that.People even cry about making a small donation like 20 bucks..Yes 20 bucks.I can't believe how cheap some people can be and cry about it.For Christ sake how much money do people throw away on stuff they really don't need but yet still cry and whine about 20 bucks for helping one of the best guys in the pin hobby...The PinballNinja site is a HUGE asset!! and very helpful.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Nope and never will..
    Jim

Didn't ask you Jim

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'm not going to tell people what they can and cannot post, but I don't think it's right, nor legal to post links to peoples' copyrighted material that is being illegally downloaded. People posting links like that is one reason why Clay probably isn't putting his guides online. He's gone through most of them and made them even better, but if people are not going to respect the time and effort he's put into them, why bother?

Many of the people who contributed to the pinrepair site wanted the information to remain free. The information was not just Clay's. That is why the pinrepair disc is not for sale.

If you know the whole story, you know who put that torrent together in the first place, and keeps it seeded for everyone to use as a resource.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Nope and never will..

Jim

hahahaha.

I'm glad it's there, but I'm with you - F sys1 machines!

I still say Clay is responsible for more than half of the machines working today, and I bet almost all machines before 2000 have benefitted from his guides in some way at least once!

#26 11 years ago

Justjoe:

You should check out the pinwiki guides. There is now considerable information there to help you.

#27 11 years ago

Clay's repair videos are really good as well.

#28 11 years ago

At the risk of stirring up some sour grapes amongst some folks, I just have to state that without Clay I would still be a hopeless newb who would be afraid to buy pins for fear of the associated maintenance. Who would not have brought back a Cyclone from the dead and passed it on to a new pinball owner to enjoy.

His videos were what made me consider that I could possibly figure some of this stuff out. His pinrepair guides gave me the tools and confidence that I could. And the Pinball Ninja repair blog is another amazingly instructive and entertaining resource. Now, I enjoy fixing/troubleshooting pins almost as much as playing them.

And as for those haters out there, I would just ask that only those who have contributed equally as much to this great hobby feel free to bash him.

This hobby has not been quite the same since that awful Tilt Town incident. I'm very happy that he is making a measure of a return. I look forward to the day when he is all the way back in.

Thanks Clay,
    Shawn

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you know the whole story, you know who put that torrent together in the first place, and keeps it seeded for everyone to use as a resource.

Who is or who are the ones who keep the Pinrepair guides seeding through?I have always wondered who are the ones keeping it going for people to use.Any info on that?

#30 11 years ago

I'll have to ask if I can out them; I'm not getting into the middle of this...

#31 11 years ago

Clays videos were the first tool I bought after I bought my first machine. I don't know the whole story on the pin repair website but I know all the info he provided was very informative and worth a lot more than free so I would gladly pay for these manuals. And I'll gladly join the pin ninja site.

#32 11 years ago

I would also like to state that without Clay I would still be a hopeless newb who would be afraid to buy pins for fear of the associated maintenance. Who would not have brought back a '79 Bally Black Jack, a '79 Paragon, or an '80 Firepower from the dead.

...and Pinwiki helped save a 1979 Genie from the dead. It's been said before, but I can only imagine how many pinball machines have been saved from the dump by the information on the internet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ever-happened-to-pinrepair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.