(Topic ID: 209936)

What ever happened to making an offer in person or least on the phone?

By jcar302

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4322 (resized).JPG
    s-l640 (resized).jpg
    call-me-you-will-conquer-this (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

I'll always go and see something, but making an offer via text, PM, etc., lowball or not, is a HUGE timesaver if you know your mental price. I recently picked up a new game and texted the guy something to the effect of "hey I'm ready to buy but my cap is $X depending on condition". He replied "sounds great", then i went over and we worked out the final details after checking out the game. I'd hate to drive without knowing if my offer is going to land close or not. Just my preference though!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It's interesting to read about young people abandoning phone calls, but it's more interesting to read the number of people in this thread, of an older age, that also don't want to do phone calls.
    I guess we really are past the tipping point with the phone.

I don't necessarily think (for me anyway, about to turn 34 if that still counts as young ha) it's about not wanting to do them, it's often times just simpler to shoot a text, especially if I see something pop up and I'm at work, at the grocery store with the baby, etc. You can fire off a "hey I'm interested would you take $X or no?" in 5 seconds and usually get a quick thumbs up/down and then say "great I'll be home in a bit and call to finalize" or even "shoot me your address i'll be there by 2" kind of a thing. I've often found with calling it turns into a day long game of phone tag and by then someone else has moved in, especially in the cases of great CL deals and that type of thing. I've also sold games where people have called and start asking 30 questions and trying to get me to describe things and I'm not in the vicinity of the game. It's often much easier just to get a "hey send me a nice close up of the boards" and i can grab it when I'm home or whatever and text it instead of trying to describe something that's going to result in me having to email a bunch of pictures anyway. The text/visit approach seems to be the most efficient in my experience. -YMMV.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ever-happened-to-making-an-offer-in-person-or-least-on-the-phone?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.