(Topic ID: 209936)

What ever happened to making an offer in person or least on the phone?

By jcar302

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4322 (resized).JPG
    s-l640 (resized).jpg
    call-me-you-will-conquer-this (resized).jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

Never had a real problem with this aspect regarding around 650 or so machines.

It is part of the requirements and steps of the process when confirming sales.
    If an owner is not willing to discuss on the endstate via telephone, a buyer adds unnecessary risk, similar to absence of game inspections. Set up of sale, may not be immediate via phone, and it is perfectly acceptable via text and email, just like questions or photos. People are busy, and texting is simpler.
    I have negotiated sales by nearly every popular social mediums (today and past), and traditional methods methods at some point or another, since they all have value.

If a person remains shy about communication, just walk away, and let the problem be someone else's issue, normally there are some specific reasons.
    If a person is getting worn out on the "big game hunt", it might be a good time to take a break to avoid burnout.

#52 2 years ago

A lot of you guys are drawing this line in the sand, saying you won't deal with people who "refuse" to talk on the phone.

It really ain't like that. It's just these days, most people are able to close a deal via text, PM, or email, and don't think twice about it. Yeah, someone "refusing" to talk on the phone would set off a red flag, great, but are you guys really encountering this phenomenon?

#53 2 years ago

It's interesting to read about young people abandoning phone calls, but it's more interesting to read the number of people in this thread, of an older age, that also don't want to do phone calls.

I guess we really are past the tipping point with the phone.

#54 2 years ago

I like to chat about the weather.

#55 2 years ago

txt/email for the fine details (additional pictures, etc.) and to solidify the price discussion.
    I call before pick up for a vibe check to make sure I don't get murdered.

#56 2 years ago

Usually when somebody is selling a pin on here or craigslist, there is not a phone number to call so I email or pm, although I do enjoy some good pinball talk with a pinsider when I call somebody. When I have a phone number, I usually ask the person when is a good time to call. I get up at 530 am every day but not everybody else does. I did recently sell a pin at 6 am though but the guy had just emailed me and I knew he was awake.

#57 2 years ago

Each deal is different. It usually begins with a text, email, or PM, but maybe only half the time actually concludes with a phone call. However, I almost always make a phone call about 15 minutes before arriving--there has been maybe only 2-3 cases where that didn't actually happen where a deal was entirely coordinated over email.

#58 2 years ago

Maybe everyone posting should have been reporting in with their AGE as well. Younger crowd are more text/email and less voice.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It's interesting to read about young people abandoning phone calls, but it's more interesting to read the number of people in this thread, of an older age, that also don't want to do phone calls.
    I guess we really are past the tipping point with the phone.

I don't necessarily think (for me anyway, about to turn 34 if that still counts as young ha) it's about not wanting to do them, it's often times just simpler to shoot a text, especially if I see something pop up and I'm at work, at the grocery store with the baby, etc. You can fire off a "hey I'm interested would you take $X or no?" in 5 seconds and usually get a quick thumbs up/down and then say "great I'll be home in a bit and call to finalize" or even "shoot me your address i'll be there by 2" kind of a thing. I've often found with calling it turns into a day long game of phone tag and by then someone else has moved in, especially in the cases of great CL deals and that type of thing. I've also sold games where people have called and start asking 30 questions and trying to get me to describe things and I'm not in the vicinity of the game. It's often much easier just to get a "hey send me a nice close up of the boards" and i can grab it when I'm home or whatever and text it instead of trying to describe something that's going to result in me having to email a bunch of pictures anyway. The text/visit approach seems to be the most efficient in my experience. -YMMV.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from jcar302:

I can't for the life of me figure out how texting saves time.
    Nobody ever responds quickly, sometimes it's hours.
    Same with pm's.

If you are putting your life on hold waiting for a response you're doing it wrong. Send text, go on with your life.
    Example, good: Interested in your Meteor. If you'll take $300 I can be there after 6 tonight, send address and time to meet.

Example, bad: Hi, game still for sale?

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you are putting your life on hold waiting for a response you're doing it wrong. Send text, go on with your life.
    Example, good: Interested in your Meteor. If you'll take $300 I can be there after 6 tonight, send address and time to meet.
    Example, bad: Hi, game still for sale?

I by no means put my life on hold.
    But i'd rather only deal with serious buyers and texting seems to give casual buyers some kind of confidence to just throw numbers out there, something they would never do on the phone or in person. Similar to the way drinking 6 beers gives some idiots beer muscles.

What I may have to do is learn not to humor really low offers and stick to simple replies like "no thanks".

#62 2 years ago

Since it's basically impossible to buy a game from Craigslist now without the sharks swooping in, this doesn't seem like much of a problem as at this point the only games I'd be buying would be NIB, from other hobbyists or at shows.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Since it's basically impossible to buy a game from Craigslist now without the sharks swooping in, this doesn't seem like much of a problem as at this point the only games I'd be buying would be NIB, from other hobbyists or at shows.

Craigslist is still a viable
    Place for buying classics...if you are into that kind of thing

#64 2 years ago

I do most of my deals via email then text after we have gone over the details. I have no prob giving my phone number out, but I hate talking on phone. I was on rifle team in college and my hearing was damaged. Any electronic sounds I hear as if it were a modem or fax in the background. Very annoying, very painful. So I prefer not to chat.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'd rather talk over the phone but most do not wish to have phone calls.

I agree. From a phone call I can tell how the pin has been cared for and find out if this is someone I really want to deal with. I don’t buy or agree to buy anything until I talked to you on the phone. I see these 20 -30 year olds daily that can’t communicate clearly in the world. Ask them to stand up and talk to a group. Forget about it, they can’t.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Craigslist is still a viable place for buying classics...if you are into that kind of thing

Nope, even the beater EMs are gone in minutes around here!

I'd love to talk to a seller on the phone!

3 months later
    #67 2 years ago

It’s 2018 these days.

#68 2 years ago

IMG_4322 (resized).JPG

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from jcar302:

When you are in easy driving distance why not go and see what you are making an offer on?

Where I live, this would be an unprecedented luxury!

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

people are so friggin fickle these days...."time is money", but i will waste all of my time and your time for nothing.....as i've come to learn lately. i don't have time for a phone call, but i will spend 3 hours wasting every ones time and then not buy anything.

Couldn't have said it better!

1 year later
    #71 10 months ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

When you are in easy driving distance why not go and see what you are making an offer on?

I'm with Joe. I like to have a call and then see the game in person. And I've had a number of cases where I was the potential buyer and walked away and where I was the seller and the potential buyer decided against the machine and walked away. That's also why I don't like deposits in either direction, which can get complicated--if it's a pinsider with a phone number, location, and a decent rep, all that has been lost if the sale doesn't happen is time and gas money, and another pinhead connection has been made that might be useful in the future.

#72 10 months ago

The price someone is selling is the price, I don't understand why people would haggle without looking first?
    TO me either your willing to pay that price asked for, or you look at it and give a reason why you don't think it's worth it.
    and counter offer. Bullshit trying to text offers site unseen.

#73 10 months ago

As a quote young fish in the sea phone,text,email whatever it takes to make it work is fine with me. Also depends on where or how i found the ad for game/parts for sale or how they found me. Most dealings at this point cash on glass deals and phone call at least one. I look at each person i deal with as future contact for more games/parts or possible leads either way. I learned this form my grand fathers and father. Repeat business with a contact makes it better for both sides. Seeing this talk about haggling with out being in person doesn't make sense to me either. Have seen bad pictures and great pictures.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 55.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside