(Topic ID: 209936)

What ever happened to making an offer in person or least on the phone?

By jcar302

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4322 (resized).JPG
    s-l640 (resized).jpg
    call-me-you-will-conquer-this (resized).jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I'm getting a little worn out with trying to make deals via text, email or pm.
    When you are in easy driving distance why not go and see what you are making an offer on?
    At least be willing to talk on the phone.

Nobody seems to want to do either. Just want to throw offers out there, no face, sometimes no name...

I get it if you are far away, but wouldn't you at least want to talk to someone before you drive hours based on some text messages?

Is it that people are fishing for a great deal and it's easier to throw a low ball out there without looking someone in the eye?
    You still have to meet me in person to get the machine...

Does nobody watch fast and loud?
    While you may not like the show (I don't overly love it all the time), there is something to be said for "I'm here now and I have cash".
    I can pretty much guarantee that works, at least with me. I don't always need every dollar out of sale so the easier you make it on me, the more likely I am to sell it cheaper. But you are absolutely not getting a better deal without looking me in the eye and shaking my hand.

I really have to believe the wise thing to do when buying something that costs thousands of dollars is too look it in person and if that's not possible because of distance to at least talk to the guy before making an offer.

I'm all for texting, god knows it makes my work more efficient and customers easier to keep track of (i'm an electrical contractor), but I can't help but think it's turning society into a bunch wusses that lack communication skills.

I really don't mind a discrepancy in value, everyone has their idea of what they want to pay. But at least come see it, play it and any other games I have on hand and regardless of whether or not we make a deal we can part friends.

We all love to buy low and sell high. But if you are too gutless to do it in person, honestly you don't deserve it.

#2 2 years ago

I prefer to buy and sell via text...but I prefer texting to an actual phone call for anything.
    The games I usually buy are projects so condition is a bit less important than a HUO purchase...

#3 2 years ago

People as a whole are passive aggressive and don’t want to deal with confrontation directly. I’m in sales and 90% of buyers want to shop the way you mentioned so it’s not just Pinball.

#4 2 years ago

I think people just want a smoken deal before they call or come see. If your price is valid for what your are selling your going to get the casual interested person who really doesn't want to pay what your asking but wants to throw number at you. This is what I have experienced when selling.

#5 2 years ago

I list a few games on Craigslist from time to time. Email is my preferred initial communication. I hate it when a potential buyers first email through craigslist is "call me" and their number. I like a little email back and forth first to gauge what I'm dealing with. It's an opportunity to choose the path of least resistance. Sometimes you have a couple options and you can tell which ones may be a pain in the ass. Forced interaction always complicates that process. Selling can be fun or a real headache. I like to limit the headaches.

#6 2 years ago

I care very little about getting the best price possible, but I don’t want to talk to you on the phone. I will text an offer if I want it cheaper. If I think your price is fair, or even a little high, I will text you for the address to come pick it up.

Once I meet you, we can chat all day about our shared hobby. Unless the game is worse than described, I wouldn’t offer less once I get there.

Phone calls are a really outdated form of communication. If I am going to talk to someone, I want it to be in person.

#7 2 years ago

Text and email is best for me. Im usually finding deals during working hours....

#8 2 years ago

I'd rather talk over the phone but most do not wish to have phone calls.

#9 2 years ago

I make almost all of my deals through text. It's easier to communicate that way while I am at work. I also get poor reception at my house, so texting is more practical as calls frequently get dropped. I have yet to run into an issue getting a deal done and it's nice to have everything documented. Like others said, I feel like talking on the phone is outdated and you can usually tell the serious buyers from the tire kickers in their first few messages.

#10 2 years ago

unlike the most comments.......I prefer face to face also or a actual phone call........I don't even own a cell phone so texting is out

#11 2 years ago

Text and email for me since there is a written record of what transpired if anyone's memory fails.

Pretty much the same with any deal, pinball or other.....

You will me face to face at some point, but by then all the details are already covered.

#12 2 years ago

Text, email or PM is how things start but it's mostly to get history of the game and some pictures. I have called (or the seller asked to talk) but it was just to get additional information and such, not to haggle on a price. I go into the deal already knowing what the asking price is. When I show up to get the game, I look it over and decide if the asking price is fair or if we need to negotiate a little. So all negotiations are done in person. I'm not a big 'over the phone talker' so the less of that the better.

#13 2 years ago

Just be clear, I don't mind texting to set up a time to see it.
    What I don't want is no name and a statement like "my offer is xxxx.xx".

Texting has it's place, but remember, context is lost on a text message. It's easy for both sides to piss each other off when there isn't really any issue at all.

As for record? Honestly, who cares. Not like there is any recourse if the deal doesn't work out.
    You go see it, if it's not as described and you don't buy it.
    The documentation only works if you are having it shipped.
    What are you going to do, sue the guy for gas money?
    I've went to look at things and didn't buy them, it happens and that's why you go and look at them.

Consider this, I recently sold a pick up truck (for less than I sold my last pin).
    Most started out as texts but each person came to see it.
    Thinking that a more expensive pin is any different is silly.
    So to say communicating verbally or in person is outdated is ridiculous.

It's one thing to throw numbers around on things that don't wear or aren't very valuable.
    But it's an entirely different thing to do the same where condition is subjective.

Pins and arcade games to me are like cars.
    Maybe it's not like that to everyone.
    Because god knows i'd never just send someone a random text offer on a car I've never seen.
    I also see hobby's as something social and there isn't anything social about a text...

And hiding behind a text with a low ball offer is just plain old cowardly.

#14 2 years ago

There is NO WAY I am buying a machine worth thousands of dollar without talking in person, and eventually looking the person in the eye. There is no way I am driving (long of short distances) with all that cash in hand, without getting a feel for the person beforehand, via voice.
    I think you guys are nuts to travel with all this money, based on cell phone texts.

#15 2 years ago

If I never have to talk to someone on the phone I'll be happy. Too much of a bother just finding a time when you're free and they'll pick up. As a seller, all you need to know is what they'll pay and when they can come get it. I'll happily drop thousands of dollars and drive hundreds of miles off a few pinside messages and three pictures

#16 2 years ago

In general, Americans hate haggling. In a culture where most items have a fixed price, items that require haggling like cars often make the buyer feel less satisfied with the purchase because they don't like the mental push-pull aspect of the process. It can be a depressing experience that takes away from the excitement of buying the new item.

#17 2 years ago

I used to always call on the phone because I enjoy talking. Lately it's all PM and text. It's just much easier to type some messages and keep it organized. I usually complete the transaction by talking on the phone and getting a feel for the person.

#18 2 years ago

I have no problem when people text an offer. If the number is acceptable to me I ask them if it's a question or an offer. If it's an offer I tell them it's theirs and I expect them to follow through.

#19 2 years ago

I'm happy to talk on the phone when planning pickup/delivery or finalizing a deal but I'd just as soon negotiate online. More time to think about making/accepting offers, less pressure, less bullshit. And it's nice to have everything in writing as well.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

There is NO WAY I am buying a machine worth thousands of dollar without talking in person, and eventually looking the person in the eye. There is no way I am driving (long of short distances) with all that cash in hand, without getting a feel for the person beforehand, via voice.
    I think you guys are nuts to travel with all this money, based on cell phone texts.

Exactly.

#21 2 years ago

If you're asking X and I'm only willing to pay Y I'm not wasting your time by coming to see it. I'm offering Y and if I don't get an affirmative response you're not getting my money.

We live in the communication age. It's no longer necessary to drive over to inspect an item. I know what it looks like before I make an offer.

#22 2 years ago

I have never bought or sold a machine without speaking to the person first.

#23 2 years ago

I'll always go and see something, but making an offer via text, PM, etc., lowball or not, is a HUGE timesaver if you know your mental price. I recently picked up a new game and texted the guy something to the effect of "hey I'm ready to buy but my cap is $X depending on condition". He replied "sounds great", then i went over and we worked out the final details after checking out the game. I'd hate to drive without knowing if my offer is going to land close or not. Just my preference though!

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you're asking X and I'm only willing to pay Y I'm not wasting your time by coming to see it. I'm offering Y and if I don't get an affirmative response you're not getting my money.
    We live in the communication age. It's no longer necessary to drive over to inspect an item. I know what it looks like before I make an offer.

Same here. Not too many people want to invest in a drive, especially not a long one, if the deal isn't close to 100% locked in. When I'm the seller there's usually little to no room for negotiation to begin with, and when I am a buyer I want to be just as reasonably certain that I am not going to walk away from the deal. All the leg work is done via text/email, which I feel it's very easy - a running record of offer made, and usually a fair number or reasonable pics. It's pretty much a done deal and all that's left is friendly pinball conversation and getting sweaty together hauling a machine out.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Hmmm....I'm not sure we actually spoke on the phone before I picked up your stellar wars!!!

But let's face it I was taking all the risk on that deal

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Both times?

#27 2 years ago

I'd rather talk to the person because I can usually tell if they're a total spaz or not.

Recently bought an STTNG and an Addams for $7500 from a guy 2000 miles away, and no way I would blindly wire that kind of money to someone without talking to them first.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

What he said. Seems to me this should still be common sense, but people are so enamored with texting these days it's like they forgot how to actually communicate and it upsets them actually having to talk. Weird and sad phenomenon if you ask me. Count me as another person who wants to speak with a buyer or seller prior to travelling or inviting them into my home. It's the only real way to get a feel for the person and a sense of whether they'e worth the time.

#29 2 years ago

call-me-you-will-conquer-this (resized).jpg

s-l640 (resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago

people are so friggin fickle these days...."time is money", but i will waste all of my time and your time for nothing.....as i've come to learn lately. i don't have time for a phone call, but i will spend 3 hours wasting every ones time and then not buy anything.

#31 2 years ago

If its a short drive I don't find the need to talk to you over the phone, but if I'm in the car for hours I like to get a feel for the person I'm dealing with.

#32 2 years ago

I miss the 70s colors. Avacado, Harvest Gold, Coppertone and Carousel Red..... I wish they would bring them back.

I only sell "higher end" pins so the bargain basement shoppers are quickly dismissed. I'm more of a fair price/quick sale kind of person when either buying/selling.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

My feelings exactly. I don't mind doing some preliminary negotiation arranging a visit via text or email, but I always expect at least one personal conversation via phone before I get on the road to pick up a machine. If the seller is not willing to have a conversation I would not proceed further.

That being said, I've never had that situation occur. Every time I have bought or sold the final deal was preceded by at least one phone conversation.

#34 2 years ago

Buying: I almost never make an offer without seeing the item for sale. Yes I miss out when people use the "I will buy it " strategy to hold something until they can see it. But it may be better than the photos and a lower offer may be too low and I miss out on something. It may be worse than the photo and I land up with a piece of crap I spent too much on.

Selling: I rarely even acknowledge an unseen offer. The way this usually works is they low ball you, you accept the offer then they show up and want to haggle more.

With pinball machines, I know what I have is worth. I price it accordingly. OF the last five games I sold the first person who came to look at it paid my asking price and took the game.

With social media I think lots of people are incapable of haggling so the print offer is the easiest way to get the price down. Then there is the group how throw a low ball offer well below what something is worth to see if I am desperate for another hunk of crack and will bite.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Same here. Not too many people want to invest in a drive, especially not a long one, if the deal isn't close to 100% locked in. When I'm the seller there's usually little to no room for negotiation to begin with, and when I am a buyer I want to be just as reasonably certain that I am not going to walk away from the deal. All the leg work is done via text/email, which I feel it's very easy - a running record of offer made, and usually a fair number or reasonable pics. It's pretty much a done deal and all that's left is friendly pinball conversation and getting sweaty together hauling a machine out.

Though all the preliminary work is done via text or email, I've always exchanged phone numbers once a date/time is set. When I am buying I will make a call letting the buyer know I am on the way and my ETA, which is exactly what I have a buyer planning to do tomorrow for a sale.

#36 2 years ago

If I think your price is too high and I want the game for sale. I'll discuss price beforehand if I'm going to take my time(and yours) to see it in person. That said, my correspondence is normally a bit more formal than just shooting and offer out.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I miss the 70s colors. Avacado, Harvest Gold, Coppertone and Carousel Red..... I wish they would bring them back.

The Brady Bunch misses you too.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

unlike the most comments.......I prefer face to face also or a actual phone call........I don't even own a cell phone so texting is out

Ditto Mike.

Plus I think what with all the high asking prices these days people want to try and make a reasonable/low ball offer before making the drive only to get turned away. I miss the face to face thing personally and still prefer it. I like to see the game in person and I think other buyer and sellers should do the same but it will never go back to what it was years ago and that's a real shame.

John

#39 2 years ago

Unless it is a smoking hot deal, I like to text first as it allows the seller to get back to me when they have a chance to talk. Once I know it is still available then I will call them to deal with details.

#40 2 years ago

Call on the phone first. Get things settled, then we text it back and forth as a "contract" to make sure everyone's on the same page with all the details. Best of both worlds.

#41 2 years ago

I dont mind texting a deal, but when its an hour of texting and then they say (i cant make it) that pisses me off, but I have had plenty of texting deals work out.

#42 2 years ago

If its facebook or email I send my phone number and tell them to call me. If they don't then the deal is done. I have never bought a machine just on text alone.

#43 2 years ago

The best is when selling and the inevitable
    "What's the least you'd take????" Text comes in sight unseen.

How about you tell me the most you'll pay ya jabroni?

#44 2 years ago

I wont give someone my address without first talking to them on the phone...I dont mind texting or emailing at first but if someone wont talk to me I get sketched out.

#45 2 years ago

If they use their speaker phone, I'll hang up on them.

#46 2 years ago

Do you state in your for sale ad that calls are preferred and texts and emails will be ignored and provide your phone number
    I'm guessing most sellers would rather screen out the lowballers and himhawers by there texts/emails/pm b4 wasting time on a call or visit to find out if they are a serious buyer or not
    I will add I have talked over the phone on all my purchases to setup terms and conditions of the deal such as a deposit to hold it on a long distance deal i couldn't get to right away or setting up a time and place to view the pin and then finalize the deal or pass on it once viewed

#47 2 years ago

I loathe talking to people I don't know on the phone and I also loathe all texts. If I'm buying something, I just want to know the real price and where to pick it up at. I'm not haggling. I'm not looking for friendly conversation or to exchange life stories. If I'm selling, make your offer & tell me when you want to pick up. Occasionally the buyer is cool & we talk shop. I think in buying/selling 20 pins I "had to" call someone once and it was just a rehash of what was in the ad, they tried to lowball me further and then when they picked up the pin they were just as much of a douche in person.

#48 2 years ago

I can't for the life of me figure out how texting saves time.
    Nobody ever responds quickly, sometimes it's hours.
    Same with pm's.

The same could be resolved in a 3 to 5 minute phone call.
    People that don't have "time" for a call are a joke, nobody reasonable believes you don't have a few minutes for a call but you have time to fix, play and drive a few hours round trip to get a machine.

Maybe it's just me, but I really want to get a feel for the people that i'm going to see with thousands of dollars or who's coming to my house where my family lives.

I'm getting a little bit of an anti social vibe from some of you guys, lol.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from jcar302:

The same could be resolved in a 3 to 5 minute phone call...I'm getting a little bit of an anti social vibe from some of you guys, lol.

Over the phone I had a pushy person try to haggle with me on my firm price, three times I told him "What don't you understand about the word firm?" I don't like haggling and I don't want to sit on the phone for 3 minutes listening to it. After the second phone call I said to myself never again.
    17 bought and 11 sold over texts/pms/emails since...and a lot of easy fun transactions meeting great people. Plenty social after weeding out the people I don't really want to talk to.

#50 2 years ago

This is a combination of generational and personality differences. Many people are just uncomfortable with personal communication. I would say either try to feel out the other persons vibe or pass until you find a buyer-seller that feels right. Personally, I'm happy to communicate by text and email for Q&A. Before I ship you a game or send you thousands of dollars, we have to speak personally.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside