New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 269904)

What equipment and best methods to use picking up a machine yourself?

By HydrogenHuman

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I'm completely new to the aspect of driving to pick up a machine, and I just wanted to know what equipment should I bring and what methods should I do to make the pickup as smooth as possible?
    My current thinking is to bring along one of those hydraulic lifts along with some thick blankets to pull the machine out easily and slide it down cellar stairs.
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe which I saw can fit a machine perfectly fine which is good.
    Any advice and help for a newbie is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A refrigerator dolly is better than a lift cart for moving the pin down/up stairs (2 person job) and to your vehicle. You can rent one at Home Depot, etc. Shrink wrap is amazing stuff. Use it to secure the lowered back box and protect the pin. Then remove the back legs with help from the seller or a stool, lower onto a blanket, tilt to a vertical position using front legs then remove front legs. Use the dolly to move the pin about a foot from your SUV with the bottom facing it, and tilt up and in. Some cardboard will help it slide in much easier. Some people also use a couple 1” or so diameter PVC pipes to roll it in - helps if the folded down seats are not perfectly flat. Reverse the process to remove and set up the pin.

If it’s just you, then you can use a lift table to get the pin in and out. Move to car, remove front legs, slide mostly in with cardboard and/or pipe, remove back legs. I’ve done it many times, but can be tricky if cart isn’t able to go up enough to be even with car. Also need to use something to block cart wheels to prevent it from moving.

Sounds complicated but is pretty straightforward if you take it slow - never rush or wing it. Especially if it’s a heavy JJP or Bally widebody. There are plenty of threads on here with additional pointers

#6 6 months ago

Thanks for the tips! A refrigerator dolly huh? I'll have to look into those.

You can rent one from Home Depot or other rent a center, or buy a good one if you plan to be in the hobby and have stairs. Better yet, invest in an Escalera. Seems pricey, but is a must if you have a bad back - or don’t want to get one.

1 month later
    #15 4 months ago

Would this process be the same for EM machines? Is there anything different about EM machines to be aware of when picking them up?

Yes, the head doesn't fold down on EM's. You need to disconnect the cables between the head and cabinet and move them separately. Much easier to move than a modern pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 26.95
    $ 22.50
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 59.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 899.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside