(Topic ID: 228824)

What EM pin should I get for my first one, and where to buy machines?

By gottliebgameroom

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Check your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, no use selecting a pin or two to look for as you may never find those local. See what the market has local to you. Maybe start with a single player game as those are a lot simpler to diagnose and track down issues. Make sure you look it over before buying and that it works. Don't buy a project for your first machine. I can find nice single player EM machines fully working around me for $300-$600 and up depending on title.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think buying a project for your first EM is a huge, gigantic mistake and not worth the 100 or 200 bucks you might save. Buy a nice working one.

Double this advice if you have a significant other who may not be happy about a machine taking up space for months as you work through it. I feel your first pinball purchase should be a solid machine that everyone in the family can enjoy. Then as things stop working as expected you can come back here, post questions, get help and work it out. It easier to say, "Everything worked but this one thing stopped working" and get help then saying nothing works and you are not sure it ever did. Plus you will have to start buying tools and specialty parts to test out solutions and it can get frustrating.

Of course if you have been working with electronics and such your whole life and you have a basement full of tools that is one thing but for most people a fun first machine will be the best way to get started in the hobby.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-em-pin-should-i-get-for-my-first-one-and-where-to-buy-machines?tu=Matesamo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.