View topic image gallery

20140306_215609.jpg
OK6.jpeg
OK5.jpeg
OK4.JPG
OK3.jpeg
OK2.jpg
OK1.jpeg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Sonic Faces- Aside from having amazing artwork its also a pretty fun layout. I always loved the backglass and turned one down about 15 years ago. Luckily I found one for sale locally about 3 years ago and bought it just for the colorful bg and pf. I cleaned it and tuned it up and it is one of my more popular ems in my collection.

I had some friends over last year and had 2 tell me how much they enjoyed wms Travel Time. I have always thought it was the best timed pinball made and very different from your traditional 3 or 5 ball em games from that era. I have had a couple games that have lasted over an hour .

There are lots of great em games out there and these are a couple of my all time favorites.

#52 9 years ago

love my 1970's gottlieb em's but this one really surprised me..and will never let her go

#53 9 years ago

An EM game that caught me off guard, on how fun it is, is Williams Super Star. The artwork on the game is just blah. But the gameplay is great. It's convertible between Replay, Novelty and AAB. Mine is set on Novelty so AAB for advancing bonus and completing rollovers but only a replay for surpassing scores.

I've had thee parties and had a rollover tournament on this machine and only 1 person was able to roll it over! It's set up tough even though there are a center up post and two outlane up posts; so it's possible to have all drains blocked.

20140306_215609.jpg20140306_215609.jpg

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

An EM game that caught me off guard, on how fun it is, is Williams Super Star. The artwork on the game is just blah. But the gameplay is great. It's convertible between Replay, Novelty and AAB. Mine is set on Novelty so AAB for advancing bonus and completing rollovers but only a replay for surpassing scores.
I've had thee parties and had a rollover tournament on this machine and only 1 person was able to roll it over! It's set up tough even though there are a center up post and two outlane up posts; so it's possible to have all drains blocked.

totally agree, super star is intense to play..to work up the bonus without getting it into the eject hole..building up to double special..best played as an aab.

really miss mine an regret selling her

5 years later
#55 3 years ago

5 years later... BUMP...
This thread is poignant for where I'm at now, so I figured I would bump it

As someone who grew up in the later solid state/early DMD era, sure I have found myself enjoying newer titles, but i've noticed both my interest and collection has been slowly inching back towards much older games. It seems as though many of the older games, while they appear simple, are extraordinarily challenging and addictive. As a result, my personal collection has also been shifting towards the older era of games...beyond solid states and deeper into EMs. As a matter of fact, I'm about to make a deal on my first woodrail later today, which I'm really stoked about (now I need to get better at addressing issues of these older games, schematics, etc. A challenge that I have accepted and will work on for years to come)

So, as the OP of this thread from 5 years ago brought up, which older games have caught you off guard or surprised you with their surprisingly inventive/addictive gameplay...or maybe changed your view in a positive way as it relates to older EM era of games?

For me, while I have been more recently enjoying the art, pace and gameplay of EM games from the '70s, I personally never thought I would take any interest in the woodrails (at all). They seemed waaay to slow and for whatever reason I had a real "attitude" about the smaller flippers, etc. However, recently, a woodrail that caught my eye. A 1958 Gottlieb Gondolier. For me personally, I was blown away with it! I mean, seriously surprised! Four flippers (two at the bottom, two at the top), four stand ups, two gobble holes, four gates up top that change the values of four pop bumpers, four rollover switches, three rollover targets a spinning light show in the middle that rotates changing the value of your shots, not to mention really neat artwork by Roy Parker. Sure, in this upcoming deal I'm going to be knocking on the door of a professional to help me restore the backglass (which in this case is on the good side of terrible), but I'm going to really enjoy this game in my personal collection and I'm thrilled that it's coming my way.

I just never thought I would own a woodrail until meeting this game.... So it got me thinking, as above...which older game (that you never thought that you would enjoy at all) just surprised you and changed your viewpoint?

#56 3 years ago

Out of Sight surprised me BIG TIME. I bought it off a whim and it's a keeper!

1 week later
#57 3 years ago

Dealers choice. Awesome em with lots to shoot at. Fast playing. Known as a less expensive game but ended up being one of my favorites.

#58 3 years ago

The game that surprised me the most was Hot Line, I don't particularly like the artwork,the playfield doesn't look anything special.
They used to come up for sale regularly in the UK fairly cheaply and I dismissed it, then I played one and was hooked immediately.
I bought one soon after and rebuilt it, what a clever, addictive game.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Quercus22:

The game that surprised me the most was Hot Line, , what a clever, addictive game.

This makes up for its humble appearance:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1245/Williams_1966_Hot_Line_Animated_Rollover_Button_Letter_Sequence.gif

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-em-game-surprised-you-most/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.