Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 452 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mrbill
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you collect or chase other “limited” items?”

• Sports cards/memorabilia 24 votes
      9%
    • Other memorabilia 29 votes
      10%
    • Watches 16 votes
      6%
    • Cars 25 votes
      9%
    • Stamps 3 votes
      1%
    • Other 110 votes
      39%
    • None 28 votes
      10%
    • I like turtles 44 votes
      16%

(279 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron2 (resized).jpg
    tank (resized).jpg
    bust (resized).jpg
    0F7B3134-36CB-403D-87ED-FB7BEEE04C08 (resized).jpeg
    40A838BA-9C96-406E-BFDF-1AF70AFE3C1B (resized).jpeg
    F334813D-4215-4102-BE70-764508FB028A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1659 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220506_092538 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092441 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092428 (resized).jpg
    Dsc_6424_1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 6 years ago

Art books (500+ monographs)
    contemporary art (early-mid career and mostly regional)

I also collect pinball books and pinball art, but that is more just an extension of the pinball hobby.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Do others who have collections go to shows?

I have been to art book fairs! They are pretty interesting, and cover a cross-section of publishers, stores, galleries, artists using books as a medium, independents, as well lectures and discussions from collectors.

3 months later
    #184 5 years ago

playing with fire by improvising with your Expedit setup there! LOL
    but great collection.

2 years later
    #216 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Automobilia.
    My latest restoration.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

love the aesthetics of turning those rotary handles!

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I have a few coin operated periodicals. Here’s about half of them.
    [quoted image]

someone's gotta scan all of those in eventually...

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I'd be all over that except for two things:
    1) need space online to put them
    2) copyrighted content

1) I would cover all the costs of hosting them
    2) let's focus on archiving the oldest first, and worry about copyright later. There's zero risk to scanning them, and I would assume all the risk in hosting them.
    some recent scans I put up: http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/08/3-issues-of-canadian-coin-box-magazine.html

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

and a video from Chris Ramsey on a 10K Box, my friend designed...worth a watch to see something really special.

smaller than pinball machines, but I wonder if he keeps and displays EVERY puzzle he gets, or does he sell some off? Because he goes through A LOT

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from Carrol:

I've scratch built & collected synthesizers since I was a teen. I'm 61 now.[quoted image][quoted image]

OH SHIT, LOOKING GOOD!!!
    I used to obsess over rack gear, and these days I just scratch that itch by subscribing to Hainbach

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Time to pack these up. I collected some neat pieces here. over 40 years.
    Large Chunk of Pyrite, Dinosaur Bones, and Fossils.
    Large Australian Opals, Iron Meteorites, and Pallasites. Crinoids, Trilobites, Baby Mammoth Tusk, and Tooth.
    Quartz Geodes, and Crystals, Megalodon teeth, Fossil Fish Bed, Stromatolites, and Pyrite Sun Disks.

pack them up because you're moving? Very cool collection. I want a meteorite.

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh, These are in my office, that I closed 3 years ago, after selling Comet LEDs, and retiring.
    Still packing up 35 years of stuff.
    If you search on Ebay, there is around 30,000.
    But the most abundant, coolest looking, and affordable is
    Campo del Cielo meteorite
    Search this, and they sell for a Couple dollars on up.
    A few years Back, $50 Meteors ended up on Wood Displays, and sold in Stores like in NY, as
    Ritzy gifts and marked up into the thousands. Strange Hobby and Business.
    I started, when I was manufacturing Meteor, and dinosaur bone into Jewelry.
    When Cut, and acid etched, some show interesting widmanstatten patterns. Others might have Olivine Crystals and are called Pallasites.
    Iron Meteors, are in a way "Star poop"
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Space poop! LOL
    looking at some of the ebay sales ebay.com link: sch

Does the price on meteorites rise exponential to weight, or linearly?

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from smcclain65:

I have been collecting turtles pretty much all my life. I have the full set of 88 soft heads plus tons more, I have a lot on the card and in the box still in storage.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool, except for one glaring omission

4 weeks later
    #313 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Speaking of collecting-Can someone tell me what the deal is with collecting Funko POP figures? I really am baffled how these cheesy bobble head without a spring became so popular? They started with Big Boy Bobble heads for the restaurant chain and then capitalized with striking on the nostalgia craze. I like to shop toy stores and they take up half the shelves in most stores. Visited NY last year and went to Tokyo Toys-looking around one of the workers says we have more toys downstairs. I go down the stairs only to see the entire basement full of nothing but Funko POPS wall to wall. I am now starting to see them on the clearance shelves everywhere, but I cannot wait until these monstrosities go away. To me they are worse than the Beanie Babies collecting days. Feel like Andy Rooney ranting-"Do you feel like Funko POPS are a complete waste?"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funko
    [quoted image][quoted image]

God I loathe Funko Pops. They're the epitome of consumerist nerd culture. Mass-produced cheap chunks of plastic made to sit on adults' shelves. The end-game of fandom instincts to just sell ~anything~
    If you ever want to be sad, do an image search for "funko pop collection"

#314 3 years ago

on the topic of funko pops, I'm reminded of this Sad Pictures for Children comic

Sad Pictures for Children - nerd culture.pngSad Pictures for Children - nerd culture.png
    #319 3 years ago
    Quoted from zenbone:

black smithing stuff

please share more about this!

2 weeks later
    #331 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I collect money. My collection is pretty modest right now but it will grow over time I'm sure.

see given the topic of this forum I can't actually tell if this is a joke or you're a numismatist

1 month later
    #340 3 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

I collect pianos

and we thought pinballs and jukes were a ridiculously unwieldly hobby!

1 year later
    #394 2 years ago

puzzle boxes are such a great hobby. They celebrate craftsmanship & ingenuity, they're easy to store, look good to display, have a robust secondary market, innately tactile, offer a huge sense of accomplishment, and they keep you away from 'online' nonsense.
    Pinball shares many of those traits, minus easy to store, but pinball can be a more social experience.

1 month later
    #404 2 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I collect too many things. Another is short stories, novelettes and novels written by Alan Yates.
    Alan Yates was a prolific writer of mystery, suspense and some science fiction from the late 1940s to the early 1980s mostly under the pseudonym of Carter Brown. He was born in Great Britain, but lived and wrote in Australia after WWII. His main characters were all Americans, since the tough private eye genre best fit in the USA. Early on, each story would have a different hero character, who would usually get the girl in the end. Then he changed to featuring several repeating main characters, including California Police Lieutenant Al Wheeler, New York private eye Danny Boyd, Hollywood troubleshooter Rick Holman, and ditzy blonde operative Mavis Seidlitz, who worked for the Johnny Rio detective agency.
    Australian publisher Horwitz sold the USA rights to his books to Signet, who only wanted the novels featuring the series characters. So dozens of the "single" titles were never published in the USA. And for some reason there are a couple novels which were published in the USA but never in Australia. To complicate matters further, some stories were titled one thing in Australia and another in the USA. Even worse, the same title was sometimes used for one story in Australia and a different story in the USA. I have been collecting and cataloging these books for decades and have recently arranged them in a dedicated bookcase (see pictures below).
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

goddamn that's lovely

2 months later
    #430 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Her husband just died but they still talk a lot

Haha that's a great sentence

3 weeks later
    #447 1 year ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

I also make amature recording..used to record a local folk guy that I enjoyed. Moved on to taping other bands I liked..got lucky a few times with good positions. By far, Ive recorded more Robert Plant shows than others act..Chris Cornell would come in 2nd. Pre high speed internet i had a complete collection of all curculating live Led Zeppelin recordings which cost me hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to procure.

Back in the 90s I was the kid that would show up to a show early with my Tascam 424mkII and a PZM microphone to tape to the wall. I'd ask bands if I can record them, and take a soundboard cut and the PZM mic feed. Fun times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-else-do-you-collect?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.