Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 452 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mrbill
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you collect or chase other “limited” items?”

• Sports cards/memorabilia 24 votes
      9%
    • Other memorabilia 29 votes
      10%
    • Watches 16 votes
      6%
    • Cars 25 votes
      9%
    • Stamps 3 votes
      1%
    • Other 110 votes
      39%
    • None 28 votes
      10%
    • I like turtles 44 votes
      16%

(279 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron2 (resized).jpg
    tank (resized).jpg
    bust (resized).jpg
    0F7B3134-36CB-403D-87ED-FB7BEEE04C08 (resized).jpeg
    40A838BA-9C96-406E-BFDF-1AF70AFE3C1B (resized).jpeg
    F334813D-4215-4102-BE70-764508FB028A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1659 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220506_092538 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092441 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092428 (resized).jpg
    Dsc_6424_1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Spores, molds, and fungus..

Robert, who made the Shadow gun Grips, actually does collect these!

Quoted from RobKnapp:

Discus fish tank. Discus from the Amazon river . The most beautiful fish in the world . Very hard to find . I have to fly them in.
    Also my Coral Reef tank . It is getting hard to find good coral these days . I use a 400 watt metal halide my electric bill is out of control .

Stunning! Living art! and such dedication you have for the work to sustain.
    Live coral is like trees in the wind on a mountain....stunning to watch.

I have Exotic Puzzle and Puzzle Boxes, Meteors, Fossils, and Archaeology.

DSCF0841 (resized).JPGDSCF0841 (resized).JPG

DSCF0844 (resized).JPGDSCF0844 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

I have boxes of Swarovski Crystals.....of you want to make your own!

Quoted from txstargazer3:

I collect wooden puzzle boxes and my wife collects Swarovski crystal figurines.

Check out newcomer Jesse Born:

https://www.facebook.com/Jesse-Born-Wood-Design-1006444846143374

Are you going to IPP in San Diego?

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Jesse Born is quite a young talent! I have his Yosegi Puzzle Box and I am quite impressed. His upcoming Pi Puzzlebox looks like it will be a beautiful and clever piece too. No, I have never been to an IPP; do you recommend going?
    Jim

Glad you were able to make contact with Jesse.
    He has the passion to make some nice pieces.....hes so young!

IPP, for others, International Puzzle Party, is definitely worth going!
    Its held once a year, somewhere in the world, so its not often in the US.
    Its in San Diego this Summer.

Similar to a pin show, with way too much to drink, the only difference is while many will play with their toys till the wee hours, like pinball,
    the collection of people is a rare group of Crazies, and double and triple Doctorates.
    In DC, I ran in to an old man, looked like Edward G Robinson. Struck up a conversation, and turned out I used his Fortran Book in College!
    He helped create the Language!

People travel from all over the world.

Do others who have collections go to shows? Comic Con?.....

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, but collected them in Virginia. Unfortunately I no longer have them. Used to collect fossils too. That was fun. Anybody collect trilobites fossils?

Got a bunch.....use to call them my pets! Loved digging them up!

Some, just blow me away!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#100 6 years ago

Art Book Fairs? I had no idea! Ill have to look out for that.

At the Miami Ape Pinball show a few years back, we stayed at a hotel that had hundreds of Cosplay attendees.....I had never heard or seen this before!
    I woke up and looked out my door and nearly fell over at the site!

I would expect, as I enjoy car shows, toy shows, etc....this thread is exciting to me to see the things that also interest us, that I would never have come across
    before!

Is this the same overseas?

Pat on the back for Pinsiders...we are a diversified bunch!

1 month later
    #122 6 years ago

A New Toy arrived today from Germany!

Ranier Popp and his 11th piece and is MASSIVE!
    Over 2 Kilos!
    Solid, heavy....a piece of Art.

No clue...this one could take me a few years to open!

t11 (resized).jpgt11 (resized).jpg

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Where can you purchase that?

http://www.popplock.com/

Not sure if any are left....

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

In 5 years when you open it Art, please sell it to me. Sold out, not even listed.

Send him an email.....I dont think he ever listed......

#130 6 years ago

Just to share, most puzzle locks that are custom made in limited numbers are around $400-$500 when released.
    This one was a beast at just under $900.

If one likes the puzzle aspect, mass produced puzzles will peek at around $50-$100 from a designer.
    There are some good buys and experiences.

This is one of my favorites, and is mass produced by Wil Strijbos, around $150 ish. First Box.
    Real good indestructible gateway into the hobby.

and another picture of the metal puzzle genre

Online catalog for commercial and some designer

https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/wire/locks/

#137 6 years ago

I have received quite a few emails, so i hope you dont mind another post.
    I enjoy these rare puzzles, as a Toy, Art, and investment.
    I cant promise anything, but the appreciation has exceeded anything else Ive invested it.
    When an Artist gets discovered, it becomes almost impossible to get on their "list", as they make maybe 1 a year, only 50 or so.

A New Artist, Jesse Born, has come on the scene, and is getting his work heralded by the masters.
    Hes young, but exceptional, and he just released a puzzle Today for sale.
    They should sell out in anywhere from a day to a couple weeks, but I thought Id share.

Heres his latest video and work....Pi Box, in honor of Pi Day!

Website to order:

https://www.jesseborn.com/

Art

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Films or News? B&W or Silent?
    I like Silent Films which were not really silent as they had music played live also to go along.
    Charlie Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle, Buster Keaton, Douglas Fairbanks Sr., Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, etc.

Awesome! I felt Id never see these names mentioned in a sentence together!

1 month later
    #167 5 years ago

My Friend, Robert, designed the mechanisms.....he also is the artist who did The Shadow Gun Grips.

Id love to have one!

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've never even heard of a puzzle lock before your post. It looks interesting. Do you have a recommendation for one that would provide a few hours of enjoyment and not cost a ton of money? I'm not sure if I'd like it or not, but it definitely looks like something I'd like to try.

Sure! Puzzle Locks exists as tricks, 1-5 "steps"
    and harder, "puzzles"

https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/search/all/?q=puzzle+lock

Shows a wide variety, although many are a bit over priced, IMO.

Here is some more:

http://www.brilliantpuzzles.com/Lock-Puzzles.html

A 4 Key quality antique repro padlock, I have extras on, they are under $50 shipped.
    The version pictured I have also in antiqued black.

s-l1600 (5) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (5) (resized).jpg

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Interesting! The one in the picture...how does it work?

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

So you're selling the one in the picture? How many "steps" is that one?
    I'm just not sure what to buy so any suggestion would be welcome.

4 or 5 steps? I guess.

This grade mostly sells for $60-$85, so its a good deal, as there re poor quality ones out there.

It depends on how hard you want a puzzle to be.
    When it comes to locks, specifically, a trick lock means once you learn it, its easily repeated.
    A puzzle lock, can take a long time, or be "playable".

Puzzlemaster.ca ranks puzzles by hardness, and has designer, designer mass produced, and commercial.

Heres entry Level, say for an interested, but not wanting a heavy challenge young age...
    https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/inventors/3274-schiebeschloss-sliding-lock?image=7158

and one a bit harder:

https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/inventors/constantin/8415-alphalock?image=12094

This is one of my favorites:
    https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/wood/3dwood/5098-labyschloss

Lock around...they have killer boxes, and the skill level helps.
    Overall, $50-$100 can buy a lot of fun time!

2 years later
    #198 3 years ago

forgot about this thread.....heres a couple of my newest additions.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpopplock_T12 (resized).jpegpopplock_T12 (resized).jpeg
    #202 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I saw a video on that lock puzzle a couple months back....it looked like a tricky one to solve.

I havent figured out how to open any!

#204 3 years ago

I do try. Some are not so "playable" meaning you get stumped easy, dont advance, and it makes it hard to go further.
    Other Puzzles have "playability", you get movement, and progress, but it isnt always right, but you can see your efforts.
    A Rubiks Cube being a prime example of motion and playability.
    A Solid cube with no movement, not as much fun.

I do Collect some that I havent tried yet. As investments, they have been great. Others I might have a week into. I am just really lousy
    at solving.

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Exactly--the ones with internal magnets or bearings that you have to manipulate are basically impossible without hints.

But a Rubiks cube is very non-linear. You could make 20 moves on it and still spin your wheels. I've seen other puzzle boxes are fairly linear and progressive.
    Just for fun, a couple months ago, I drew up several pages of designs for multi-step puzzle box with several mini games that would maybe about the size of 4 loafs of bread. Maybe about 50 steps in total, but some areas need some polishing. I thought I might tackle building a prototype if I ended up having some downtime during quarantine, but no luck there.

Its quite a rewarding opportunity, if you can create or design, Adam.
    Feel free to PM me if I can help, or put you in touch with others.

Some Mutistep puzzle boxes have forwards and backwards movements, that get confused, and take you backwards! Heres a 324 move, traditional Japanese version.

1 month later
    #213 3 years ago

I wanted to share some new pieces Ive added!

First is a Light Box puzzle. Its not overly complicated, or hard, but Visually its a really neat piece.
    I also have added this as an educational piece. With my Granddaughter back at 1-1/2, She has taken to this.

Next up is a Rize Art Object....Boy, this is one sweet Desk Toy, and a nice gift! Another exploration piece!

Last 2 are a Tycho puzzle, and cheese puzzle, one for looks, the other for the little lady.

http://212box.com/lightbox3
    https://vimeo.com/182137689

https://shop.mtr-designs.com/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    1 month later
    #229 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I’ve got a friend that collects these time of puzzles. Some of them just look really cool!
    I have a big collection of high end graded old basketball cards
    Not nearly as fun when my grandmother would take us to the 7-11 to buy packs of cards for a nickel. The stick of gum was good too

Basketball or Baseball? Just checking as not too many kids were into Basketball Cards....

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Just saw this thread yesterday and saw this puzzle lock. I am absolutely fascinated with these now. I see the Popplock T12 is out now and have a lead on one! Also ordered the Danlock. Looks like great fun and collectible art! If you ever want to sell that T11 let me know!

Wow, Good Luck if you can get one, they do go into the thousands after release!
    They can also be found on Cubicdissection Auctions, and http://puzzles.baxterweb.com/

Thanks for the offer, I hope my wife keeps them all way after I die.

Danlocks are a great puzzle! I havent chatted with Dan in a while, and I see his son is making some.

They even are on Amazon. The Original Danlock is under priced at around $200 ish...

The Titan Lock at $100 is a nice trick lock.

Glad you found this crazy hobby, its exploding.
    And like pinball 7 years ago or so, people are buying and selling with crazy profits, on limited pieces.

Im working on a Russian Puzzle, Verticale, only 10 made, with 15,000 moves! Nicely 3D printed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #238 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I got the T12!!! $985
    Super excited. Now the quest to hunt down the other 11, lol. Hopefully over time I can find a few anyways.
    The titan looks awesome too, waiting for them to get in stock or show up on a auction site.
    Also 18 minutes away from winning an auction of a Strijbos' revenge lock!

Congrats!
    Where did you find the T12?
    I can imagine the look on your face when you hold that beast for the first time!

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I found it on PuzzleParadise.net. The guy said he never got past step 1. It coming Monday! Unboxing video!
    I also found a titan today
    You sir have created a monster!

I too, havent got past step 1...No cheating by reading solution or videos..
    I have not succeeded on any of Raniers Locks.

Youll likely be able to Enjoy for as long as you wish, and then resale on Cubic or Baxterweb.
    Should bring $1800-$3500...That will make you happy!

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

How do you know when you’ve solved a step?

Something moves. Sometimes there are dead ends, other times, you end up reversing your moves.
    If you find the first move within 4 hours, thats pretty amazing!

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Wow to me that sounds super frustrating and annoying. I can't even stand to play Dragon's Lair or Space Ace because it is like a puzzle trying to determine the precise moves to move forward. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I collect all sorts of cool shit-from comics, BMX bikes, to vintage toys and games. I enjoy hunting for antiques and oddities.

Oh, I agree. I have a huge collection. Many are there for the Art, and the Value.
    I truly cant spend hours and get no where, so it better appeal to me in other ways.

Take a Rubiks cube. Ive never solved, nor do I care to, but its fun to play with.
    Some puzzles are like that, and those appeal to me.
    Others, will spend hours, or weeks to do one. Im happy for them, but I cant do it. Too old.

There is an Auction today, at 3 PM. Last one sold out in less than 3 minutes, due to demand.
    As an example, here is one, that looks cool, but Never would I have the Patience to put back together!

Another, one I helped create, is an endless series of small moves, to get 2 halfs of a Key out, and then moves to get to
    the keyhole. I find this fun, because something always moves......

and a video from Chris Ramsey on a 10K Box, my friend designed...worth a watch to see something really special.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #274 3 years ago

All over the place....Non Working, and beat $200-$300. Sometimes as much as $500, after Auction Fees and Sales Tax.
    Working, mostly, but worn, needing resto, $600-$1200, depending on game, and how much work.
    Mostly restored, Restored $1800-$2500
    New, Around $4K.
    At IAPPA, Chinese Companies had there Floor samples sold for $3K.

#276 3 years ago

Time to pack these up. I collected some neat pieces here. over 40 years.
    Large Chunk of Pyrite, Dinosaur Bones, and Fossils.
    Large Australian Opals, Iron Meteorites, and Pallasites. Crinoids, Trilobites, Baby Mammoth Tusk, and Tooth.
    Quartz Geodes, and Crystals, Megalodon teeth, Fossil Fish Bed, Stromatolites, and Pyrite Sun Disks.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#281 3 years ago

Oh, These are in my office, that I closed 3 years ago, after selling Comet LEDs, and retiring.
    Still packing up 35 years of stuff.

If you search on Ebay, there is around 30,000.
    But the most abundant, coolest looking, and affordable is

Campo del Cielo meteorite

Search this, and they sell for a Couple dollars on up.

A few years Back, $50 Meteors ended up on Wood Displays, and sold in Stores like in NY, as
    Ritzy gifts and marked up into the thousands. Strange Hobby and Business.

I started, when I was manufacturing Meteor, and dinosaur bone into Jewelry.

When Cut, and acid etched, some show interesting widmanstatten patterns. Others might have Olivine Crystals and are called Pallasites.

Iron Meteors, are in a way "Star poop"

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Space poop! LOL
    looking at some of the ebay sales ebay.com link
    Does the price on meteorites rise exponential to weight, or linearly?

I cant say Ive watched them regularly recently, But indeed They are traded by weight in Volume, and can be used
    to measure cost per gram. So both?
    The Rarity of the Meteor itself, based on Tonnage found, affects the price. As well as the shape, melting patterns,
    and content. Rocky Meteors are for collectors, Iron ones, are great paperweights.

I liked slices, and etching, and picked up a couple Large, ultra thin etched slices.
    By weight, they came out under $50, but display size, it looks like thousands.

One can even run a magnet at the bottom of a gutter drain and pick up micro meteors that hit your roof!

Searching only etched meteorite, is around 800 listings, and a good way to narrow, what might interest someone.

Most Iron Meteorites dont rust, and are historically important. Tut ankh Amun, has a Dagger, made from Meteorite.
    There is a Large Pillar in Delphi, India for 1600 years, and even Abrahams Meteor is in the kaaba at Mecca. ( The Square Black covered Stone Temple in Mecca, that is worshipped in the Hajj) is a Meteor.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

OK, so I looked through completed sales....I have plenty I can offer at my cost, and still save you guys some money over Ebay.
    Ill take clearer pictures shortly...Id rather the unique pieces I collected get enjoyed, then go in a box.

I have some slices, discs, cubes, trim, as well as some glass domes, and some Metal ID signs...
    Might take a couple days, but feel tree to shoot me a PM.

#285 3 years ago

Did the size and weight surprise you?

Share your thoughts.....

#290 3 years ago

Nice Trilobite, Ted....I gave mine names.
    "Spot", was my first, around 1967, picked up in a Long Beach Rock show, after Spot on the Munsters. These guys would have been tough to enjoy the shoreline...

4 weeks later
    #317 3 years ago

Added a couple recently.....

(Love the audio collection!!!!)

2 weeks later
    #329 3 years ago

Do we have any firearm experts here?
    I have some colt factory blueprints and pieces I'd like to sell.
    Family worked as a designer there 50 plus years ago. Here is a small "model"

20201020_115348 (resized).jpg20201020_115348 (resized).jpg20201020_115401 (resized).jpg20201020_115401 (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #380 2 years ago

Those are Amazing! And few I haven't seen! I find them mesmerizing!

1 month later
    #391 2 years ago

Some New Additions in the Puzzle World!....
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 month later
    #395 2 years ago

Another New Piece Coming.

https://www.boxesandbooze.com/boxesandbooze/sundial

#397 2 years ago

Oh yes! And Sometimes its harder to reset, than it is to open.

Often a designers headache. Great Puzzle designs never released because its too difficult to put back.

Some fail. I have a couple that need to go back to the creator, to do so.

Humiliating, for sure, but some guys can spend hours or weeks (even years) trying to solve, but I personally loose
    patience, and then its on the shelf to taunt me of my failures.

The people creating n this Hobby, are of unique cerebral intelligence...not meaning better, just
    a mindset, I cant fathom.

Robert, that helped design this, has been a good friend for almost 40 years.
    Jesse Born achieved the puzzle, Young, and Brilliant, as the rest of us get too old.

There is another big auction this weekend on Cubicdissection.com

#400 2 years ago

I couldnt find the currency ad, but was part of this ad in the 60s, when Boxes of stamps would cover the table

Also coin collecting, and the ads from Littleton Coin Co.

Speaking of Books, as well I have 30 Plus Hardcover mostly read once, James Rollins, and Clive Cussler, if anyone is a reader and wants them.

2 months later
    #434 1 year ago

Some New Editions

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    1 week later
    #444 1 year ago

I started assembling this one....

#446 1 year ago

Sure. I did the kickstarter, but the company is here in France:

https://nkd-puzzle.com/en/do-it-yourself-puzzle-box-/60-puzzle-box-architecto-en-kit-.html

In Canada, with free shipping, or on New Years they run a 20% sale.

https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/games/models/woodenmodels/16431-architecto-wooden-diy-puzzle-box-kit

Heres another one they made...steampunk:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-else-do-you-collect?tu=OLDPINGUY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.