Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 452 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mrbill
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you collect or chase other “limited” items?”

• Sports cards/memorabilia 24 votes
      9%
    • Other memorabilia 29 votes
      10%
    • Watches 16 votes
      6%
    • Cars 25 votes
      9%
    • Stamps 3 votes
      1%
    • Other 110 votes
      39%
    • None 28 votes
      10%
    • I like turtles 44 votes
      16%

(279 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron2 (resized).jpg
    tank (resized).jpg
    bust (resized).jpg
    0F7B3134-36CB-403D-87ED-FB7BEEE04C08 (resized).jpeg
    40A838BA-9C96-406E-BFDF-1AF70AFE3C1B (resized).jpeg
    F334813D-4215-4102-BE70-764508FB028A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1659 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220506_092538 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092441 (resized).jpg
    20220506_092428 (resized).jpg
    Dsc_6424_1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    There are 452 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
    #401 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Years ago you'd get emails from people in other countries who collect world currencies and want you to send them some of yours. That must have died off, as I haven't seen one in years. Or not enough people fell for it.

Now it's a Nigerian prince asking to send YOU money, if you'll first use some of your own money to open an account for him.

#402 2 years ago

Skateboards, lots and lots of them!

735ED26C-5C0F-468E-93F5-9854920221F9 (resized).png735ED26C-5C0F-468E-93F5-9854920221F9 (resized).png7C243D7D-FC5C-4075-A35B-6F503599EF5E (resized).jpeg7C243D7D-FC5C-4075-A35B-6F503599EF5E (resized).jpegDF91C65D-F35F-473E-9FD2-F933DFEB57B3 (resized).pngDF91C65D-F35F-473E-9FD2-F933DFEB57B3 (resized).png
    #403 2 years ago

Data.

#404 2 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I collect too many things. Another is short stories, novelettes and novels written by Alan Yates.
    Alan Yates was a prolific writer of mystery, suspense and some science fiction from the late 1940s to the early 1980s mostly under the pseudonym of Carter Brown. He was born in Great Britain, but lived and wrote in Australia after WWII. His main characters were all Americans, since the tough private eye genre best fit in the USA. Early on, each story would have a different hero character, who would usually get the girl in the end. Then he changed to featuring several repeating main characters, including California Police Lieutenant Al Wheeler, New York private eye Danny Boyd, Hollywood troubleshooter Rick Holman, and ditzy blonde operative Mavis Seidlitz, who worked for the Johnny Rio detective agency.
    Australian publisher Horwitz sold the USA rights to his books to Signet, who only wanted the novels featuring the series characters. So dozens of the "single" titles were never published in the USA. And for some reason there are a couple novels which were published in the USA but never in Australia. To complicate matters further, some stories were titled one thing in Australia and another in the USA. Even worse, the same title was sometimes used for one story in Australia and a different story in the USA. I have been collecting and cataloging these books for decades and have recently arranged them in a dedicated bookcase (see pictures below).
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

goddamn that's lovely

#405 2 years ago

Weird looks

#406 2 years ago

Maybe kinda dumb, but Starbucks city mugs. I don’t really care for their coffee (Peet’s is one million times better!), but they’re all over the place. Fun because it can take me back to where I was when I got it (that’s a rule, can only buy them for places I’ve gone to). I’ve got roughly 70 of them, not displayed or anything, just in a kitchen cabinet. Man I miss traveling…

C8D7C636-2A1F-430B-9291-2E4E7EEE543C (resized).jpegC8D7C636-2A1F-430B-9291-2E4E7EEE543C (resized).jpeg
    #407 2 years ago

I collect spores, mold, and fungus.

#408 2 years ago
    Quoted from LeMansFan:

Maybe kinda dumb, but Starbucks city mugs. I don’t really care for their coffee (Peet’s is one million times better!), but they’re all over the place.

I was just in Egypt in the fall last year for Military Duty and one of the guys I was with collects them was trying very hard to get a Cairo Starbucks cup - but we didn't get a chance. I think he can get one on Ebay for about $150.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #409 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I was just in Egypt in the fall last year for Military Duty and one of the guys I was with collects them was trying very hard to get a Cairo Starbucks cup - but we didn't get a chance. I think he can get one on Ebay for about $150.
    [quoted image]

It's crazy how much some people will pay for some of them! I have a few that are "rare".

#410 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Skateboards, lots and lots of them!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OG or reissue? I collect Blockhead, can't get myself into the reissues tho, I mean I'll skate one but won't put it on my wall.
    Dig that BK, I still rock a yardstick, gotta love Paul's planks.
    B

#411 2 years ago

One of the many things I collect is Circus Punks. Fun fact Wade Kruse was involved with the company and did alot of silk screening for them.

2565358245_d3940ea8d0_b (resized).jpg2565358245_d3940ea8d0_b (resized).jpg
    #412 2 years ago

LASERDISCS!!! It all started with me buying one (JP) just to see how insane the format looked in person. Next thing I knew, I was gobbling up 2 different lots which now leaves me with around 400 total, in addition to 2 players.

They kinda look like junk on my OLED, but when you're watching "Cutthroat Island" on a Friday night, it just feels too damn cool. The covers alone are so much fun just to browse through.

PXL_20220210_015827257.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20220210_015827257.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20220210_015928802 (resized).jpgPXL_20220210_015928802 (resized).jpg
    #413 2 years ago

My main thing is art marbles. But since I got a bucket 'o tokens with a machine, I’m also collecting tokens.

#414 2 years ago

I collect musical instruments, mainly keyboard based instruments. My wife and I are both classically trained pianists and organists. I've done keyboard instrument repair for well over a decade which has definitely led to the collection growing. We have an interesting collection of classical instruments (some historic) and then a synthesizer/rock room. I think every room in the house has at least one musical instrument.

Here are 2 of the instruments that get the most attention when we have people over. A 10 rank organ made by Rushworth and Dreaper in Liverpool, England in 1914.
    IMG_20191105_100307431 (resized).jpgIMG_20191105_100307431 (resized).jpg

A double manual French harpsichord made by Hubbard sometime in the 1970s.
    IMG_20191105_100228732 (resized).jpgIMG_20191105_100228732 (resized).jpg

I also collect laserdiscs. I grew up with the format and watching the complete Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Tex Avery cartoons on laserdisc. I started my own collection several years ago and I've got at least 1,500 titles. The most recent photo of my collection is from 2 years ago. I've probably added about 100 titles since I took this photo.

d44db55f2a3af87fb3b70c61840665858d575da7 (resized).jpgd44db55f2a3af87fb3b70c61840665858d575da7 (resized).jpg

Quoted from ZAuxier:

LASERDISCS!!!

Whoo Hoo! It's always great to meet another laserdisc collector!

Then there's the LP collection. I think I've got around 5-600 LPs. I don't actively collect those anymore though like I used to.

#415 2 years ago
    Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

I collect musical instruments, mainly keyboard based instruments. My wife and I are both classically trained pianists and organists. I've done keyboard instrument repair for well over a decade which has definitely led to the collection growing. We have an interesting collection of classical instruments (some historic) and then a synthesizer/rock room. I think every room in the house has at least one musical instrument.
    Here are 2 of the instruments that get the most attention when we have people over. A 10 rank organ made by Rushworth and Dreaper in Liverpool, England in 1914.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I also collect laserdiscs. I grew up with the format and watching the complete Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Tex Avery cartoons on laserdisc. I started my own collection several years ago and I've got at least 1,500 titles. The most recent photo of my collection is from 2 years ago. I've probably added about 100 titles since I took this photo.
    [quoted image]

Then there's the LP collection. I think I've got around 5-600 LPs. I don't actively collect those anymore though like I used to.

Dang!!! Your collection looks absolutely legit! I love that you have a specific DTS section. I currently have just JP and SE7EN, and they truly do sound incredible.

#416 2 years ago

I collect musical instruments, mainly keyboard based instruments. My wife and I are both classically trained pianists and organists.

That reminds me of one of my old Lionel train friends. ( sadly no longer with us ).

He was into pipe organs. He had an older three story house. He cut the corners out of every floor and ran pipes from the basement up to the higher floors.

I don't know how he didn't blow windows out of the house when he played it.

Love the harpsichord.

LTG : )

#417 2 years ago

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I started collecting Laserdiscs, then moved to dvd, then to blu ray, and now 4k. I got to about 400 laserdiscs, but I sold many of them off on half.com. Same thing with the dvd's. Got to about 1200 and sold a bunch of them. Too bad ebay gobbled up half.com as it was a great way to sell stuff as you only paid a fee when it was sold. I still have about 150 laser discs and about 800 dvds. Some of them are probably pretty rare. I kept the music discs. currently I have 2400+ blurays.

My buddy still collects laserdiscs. I let him pick thru my discs he probably has about 1000. I did meet a guy in storage and he had a huge laserdisc collection. He showed me a limited edition hellraiser disc that was autographed. He probably had more than 1000.

another friend of mine has a 16 screen video wall he got from a store that had it in a mall and he has 2 pioneer laserdisc multi changers connected to it. I think the changers do 50 discs each.

#418 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZAuxier:

Dang!!! Your collection looks absolutely legit! I love that you have a specific DTS section. I currently have just JP and SE7EN, and they truly do sound incredible.

Haha. Thanks! I had been collecting DTS discs until they shot up to crazy prices. The sound is phenomenal. JP DTS is a really good pressing with really great picture quality. SE7EN is one of my favorites. It's got a fantastic Criterion Collection release on laserdisc.

Quoted from LTG:

That reminds me of one of my old Lionel train friends. ( sadly no longer with us ).
    He was into pipe organs. He had an older three story house. He cut the corners out of every floor and ran pipes from the basement up to the higher floors.
    Love the harpsichord.

Wow, that's incredible! My wife and I have joked about installing a larger instrument and running pipes through the floors. The harpsichord is a lot of fun. I have some friends who are part of the local baroque recorder society and we'll occasionally perform recorder and harpsichord duets.

#419 2 years ago

A double manual French harpsichord made by Hubbard in the 1970s.

Sure gives a new meaning to playing only on the black keys.

#420 2 years ago

I am trying to collect fish, but because that is not going so well, I only have pictures of fishing trips, and no pictures of fish.

IMG_20210908_132739199_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210908_132739199_HDR (resized).jpg
    #421 2 years ago

I try to meet my favorite musicians and collect their autographs, it involves a lot of waiting around. I'm guessing most of these folks aren't known well around here. Most recently met Justin Vernon from Bon Iver, but some other highlights are The Mountain Goats, Wilco, and The Beach Boys.

Semi related, I tape live music and collect other folks' tapes (some would call them bootlegs, but that's a whole rabbit hole I don't want to get into) - I used to tape on the down low, but have been making a point to connect with the musicians, tell them what I'm doing, and it's been rewarding. Some artists are super supportive - the aforementioned Justin Vernon was kind enough to let me tape at some small gigs he was doing, and wanted copies - I was a little self-conscious of my amateur recordings (after all, he's a grammy-award winning musician!), but he gave me a pep talk and assured me that the most important thing was that I captured the music. Later, he let me know they turned out well and he was going to keep them on file and maybe even release a few of the tracks officially down the line. It may not happen, but still, super cool that he took the time to respond and was supportive.

#422 2 years ago

Pinball machines, collector cars, die cast, records, cd’s, bobble heads, watches, rings. I am an organized hoarder. Lol

#423 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Love the harpsichord.

I'm related to Donald Knuth. He's my second cousin. My dad is his first cousin. Donald is a math and computer scientist at Stanford university. He's committed his whole life to algorithms and is considered a genius in the field. Donald has a full pipe organ in his house and enjoys playing "8 hand" organ music when he can find someone competent enough.

#424 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am trying to collect fish, but because that is not going so well,

That's why they call it "fishing" instead of "catching".

#425 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I'm related to Donald Knuth. He's my second cousin. My dad is his first cousin. Donald is a math and computer scientist at Stanford university. He's committed his whole life to algorithms and is considered a genius in the field. Donald has a full pipe organ in his house and enjoys playing "8 hand" organ music when he can find someone competent enough.

Man, I have the first three volumes of The Art of Conputer Programing on my shelf. I think I made it through half of the first (I should give it another go, now that I have ten years+ more of experience and a masters under my belt, maybe I can get through volume 1…)

149CC7B3-9861-4BE6-B6D5-754E3B155B04 (resized).jpeg149CC7B3-9861-4BE6-B6D5-754E3B155B04 (resized).jpeg
    #426 2 years ago

I have plenty of top title Laser Discs and players (including the one that plays both sides) Looking to sell the whole lot if someone wants to come pick it up. Waaaay to much to ship....

IMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2121 (resized).JPGIMG_2121 (resized).JPGIMG_2122 (resized).JPGIMG_2122 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPGIMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPG
    2 months later
    #427 2 years ago

I also collect stamps and have around 15 albums. One I would like to get is this new Ukrainian stamp which I have posted below. Notice how he is saying hello to the Russian ship.

2022-Ukraine-Military-Stamp-Message-Russian-Warship-2 (resized).jpg2022-Ukraine-Military-Stamp-Message-Russian-Warship-2 (resized).jpg
    #428 2 years ago

Collecting comic books is tough. Choose to collect mainstays like Superman and Batman and the earliest out-of-print issues can be incredibly expensive. Once you start collecting a title are you committed to continue collecting it until it gets discontinued? How many spin-offs or related titles will you commit to collecting? Must you buy every cover variant so your collection will be complete even though you already have the comic with the original cover?

Despite these drawbacks, I do collect a few, although my collection will be incomplete since I do not feel obligated to buy every cover variant of each issue. One I collect is Doctor Mirage. There are three Doctor Mirage series so far:

The Second Life of Doctor Mirage
    In the original Valiant Comics version Hwen Fong was a paranormal investigator who worked alongside his wife Carmen Ruiz. Fong received special abilities during an encounter with the necromancer Master Darque that allowed him to harness Darque Power. The first appearance of Doctor Mirage was in Shadowman #16.

The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage (see attached pic of issue 1 alternate cover E)
    Valiant Entertainment later rebooted the character as Shan Fong, a former TV personality and paranormal investigator and scientist who seeks to restore her ghostly husband Li Hwen. She is better known under the alias Doctor Mirage (see attached pic) which she inherited from her deceased husband, whose ghost/spirit is always with her - they can communicate and see but not touch each other.

Valiant High
    Doctor Mirage is a biology teacher at Valiant High and Professor of Life (and Afterlife). Her husband just died but they still talk a lot. This character is a high school version of Doctor Mirage published by Valiant Entertainment.
    Doctor Mirage (resized).jpgDoctor Mirage (resized).jpg
    alternate cover 1 E (resized).jpgalternate cover 1 E (resized).jpg
    This "blank" cover is one of five variants that collectors are supposed to buy. Really?

#429 2 years ago

Should have collected the Ist app of Captain America (the 1940's one) they (not me) just sold a great copy for $3,100,000.00! Makes pinball collecting look cheap now doesn't it?

I wish I hadn't sold mine years ago I could have bought a house now with it now. Mainly had Marvels but some other publishers. Traded a friend all my DC's for his Marvel's. I would say it was a even trade but I did get a X-men #1 out of it.

#430 2 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Her husband just died but they still talk a lot

Haha that's a great sentence

#431 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I also collect stamps and have around 15 albums. One I would like to get is this new Ukrainian stamp which I have posted below. Notice how he is saying hello to the Russian ship. [quoted image]

Every time i haul a pin up a flight of stairs i ask myself why I don't get into stamp collecting instead of pinball!

#432 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Every time i haul a pin up a flight of stairs i ask myself why I don't get into stamp collecting instead of pinball!

Believe it or not those albums weigh more than you think as some of them get heavy over the years or am I just getting older???

#433 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Believe it or not those albums weigh more than you think as some of them get heavy over the years or am I just getting older???

That Ukrainian stamp is a fukkin gem! Beauty!

#434 1 year ago

Some New Editions

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #435 1 year ago

I added another one of these to my collection. I have 9 "bubblers" now.

Dsc_6424_1 (resized).jpgDsc_6424_1 (resized).jpg
    #436 1 year ago

Nice. So, how do they get it to bubble without losing water?

#437 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I'm so guessing. But I think it's oil, so it's harder to evaporate.

#438 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

#439 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

The bubble tubes are filled with an alcohol/acid solution that has a 105 degree F boiling point. The tubes are completely enclosed. If you break one of the tubes, it will completely destroy the artwork that is painted onto the back of the plastics. Trust me, I learned this first-hand....

#440 1 year ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I added another one of these to my collection. I have 9 "bubblers" now.
    [quoted image]

With 9 my only thought is don't move!

#441 1 year ago

I had purchased a few giclee's (prints) of Michael Goddard's when I purchased his original Sitting on 7. I took it to a gallery who was excited to sell it as it is one of his most famous images. We compared it to a giclee of it for sale in his gallery and it was different. We then took it to Michael Godard publishing and he confirmed he painted this before he painted his famous image Sitting on 7s. (Different titles-Sitting on 7s and Sitting on 7) Artists sometimes paint two similar paintings. Mine was painted before he was famous. They gave me the certification that it is the original Sitting on 7. And then made me an offer to purchase (actually trade a boatload of his giclee's). He has a big facility in the Vegas area with the Sitting on 7 image greeting you when you enter.

2nd image is original painting "Rehab". I thought it depicted me. They sold out of both of the giclee's of my original paintings many years ago. Third image is a giclee "Barfly". I have many of his giclee's during a period of paintings he deemed a "Don't Drink and Draw" series.

20220506_092428 (resized).jpg20220506_092428 (resized).jpg20220506_092441 (resized).jpg20220506_092441 (resized).jpg20220506_092538 (resized).jpg20220506_092538 (resized).jpg
    #442 1 year ago

My aunt used to collect prints of his artwork. I always thought they were so cool. That is very cool that you have an original!

#443 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I try to meet my favorite musicians and collect their autographs, it involves a lot of waiting around. I'm guessing most of these folks aren't known well around here. Most recently met Justin Vernon from Bon Iver, but some other highlights are The Mountain Goats, Wilco, and The Beach Boys.
    Semi related, I tape live music and collect other folks' tapes (some would call them bootlegs, but that's a whole rabbit hole I don't want to get into) - I used to tape on the down low, but have been making a point to connect with the musicians, tell them what I'm doing, and it's been rewarding. Some artists are super supportive - the aforementioned Justin Vernon was kind enough to let me tape at some small gigs he was doing, and wanted copies - I was a little self-conscious of my amateur recordings (after all, he's a grammy-award winning musician!), but he gave me a pep talk and assured me that the most important thing was that I captured the music. Later, he let me know they turned out well and he was going to keep them on file and maybe even release a few of the tracks officially down the line. It may not happen, but still, super cool that he took the time to respond and was supportive.

I also make amature recording..used to record a local folk guy that I enjoyed. Moved on to taping other bands I liked..got lucky a few times with good positions. By far, Ive recorded more Robert Plant shows than others act..Chris Cornell would come in 2nd. Pre high speed internet i had a complete collection of all curculating live Led Zeppelin recordings which cost me hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to procure.

#444 1 year ago

I started assembling this one....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #445 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I started assembling this one....[quoted image]

Woah, that's amazing! Where'd you get that?

#446 1 year ago

Sure. I did the kickstarter, but the company is here in France:

https://nkd-puzzle.com/en/do-it-yourself-puzzle-box-/60-puzzle-box-architecto-en-kit-.html

In Canada, with free shipping, or on New Years they run a 20% sale.

https://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/games/models/woodenmodels/16431-architecto-wooden-diy-puzzle-box-kit

Heres another one they made...steampunk:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #447 1 year ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

I also make amature recording..used to record a local folk guy that I enjoyed. Moved on to taping other bands I liked..got lucky a few times with good positions. By far, Ive recorded more Robert Plant shows than others act..Chris Cornell would come in 2nd. Pre high speed internet i had a complete collection of all curculating live Led Zeppelin recordings which cost me hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to procure.

Back in the 90s I was the kid that would show up to a show early with my Tascam 424mkII and a PZM microphone to tape to the wall. I'd ask bands if I can record them, and take a soundboard cut and the PZM mic feed. Fun times.

#448 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Back in the 90s I was the kid that would show up to a show early with my Tascam 424mkII and a PZM microphone to tape to the wall. I'd ask bands if I can record them, and take a soundboard cut and the PZM mic feed. Fun times.

Haha. I've also tapped pzm mics to the wall for recordings. They certainly get the job done. They also work well tapped to the inside of a grand piano lid. I haven't used them in a couple years, but I know I've still got them somewhere.

#449 1 year ago

Over the last few years I've been picking up solar tiki statues as they go on clearance. This is some of them.

IMG_1659 (resized).jpgIMG_1659 (resized).jpg
    #450 1 year ago

I have a small collection of Tron related stuff I have collected over the years - Mostly original stuff from the time. And def not Tron Legacy ….I really did not like that sequel !

0F7B3134-36CB-403D-87ED-FB7BEEE04C08 (resized).jpeg0F7B3134-36CB-403D-87ED-FB7BEEE04C08 (resized).jpeg40A838BA-9C96-406E-BFDF-1AF70AFE3C1B (resized).jpeg40A838BA-9C96-406E-BFDF-1AF70AFE3C1B (resized).jpeg98884451_10157773573254262_3930965274315980800_n (resized).jpg98884451_10157773573254262_3930965274315980800_n (resized).jpgF334813D-4215-4102-BE70-764508FB028A (resized).jpegF334813D-4215-4102-BE70-764508FB028A (resized).jpeg
    There are 452 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-else-do-you-collect/page/9?hl=vabeachrunner4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.